• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ashhong said:
what is there to hate? you dont see it half of the time and it enables you to be able to use a screenname without worrying that someone else already took it

This is obviously just my opinion, but I think they complicate things and overall cheapen names. In persistent online communities I think that all names should be unique. Also there have been times already in beta when I wanted to chat with someone who I played with in 2v2, but really had no way of contacting them (that I know of) after I had left battle results screen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What arrow?

I mean after a game has finished completely, the battle result screen is gone and you are back at the main menu.

The issue with the identifier system was that you could have 50 Idras, or whoever, and only one might be the real one. The problem with not having identifiers is you will have 1 Idra, who 99% of the time won't even be the real person. I'm not sure how I feel about all of it, but I'm beginning to lean towards keeping identifiers. It sure is a pain in the ass when you try to create a username on any website or community, only to have it already taken. Then you need to settle for another name that removes consistency between usernames, and which may be second best or worse.

Zefah said:
What arrow?

I mean after a game has finished completely, the battle result screen is gone and you are back at the main menu.
You can go into your match history to see the results screen again for every game you've ever played, or observed.

cramcakes said:
Mwuhahaaha.

So if we're SC2 pals, I can get maps through your profile or something? Has Blizz laid out how the map publishing works yet?

edit:

Find a youtube vid of a build order for the race you like. Practice it on the easy ai. If it makes you feel better, I played a ton of Starcraft 1 and I lose tons of games. Watch all your replays, it will help also.

Wait what, there is AI?
And replays?
Only played the beta once since I was somewhat short on time but seems I should look a little more.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
as an unabashed protoss nub, can some wisend eldar give me the low down on what the actual in-game significance of reducing vr's range from 7-6 will be? it's rare that i feel that the unholy cornholing i'm given by even a modest gaggle of vr's would have been prevented by a 12% range decrease? will this effect the stalker/vr matchup for instance?

Ashhong

Zefah said:
What arrow?

yea you can just click on your profile, go to ur most recent game, and then bam, ur there again. although if its somoene you played with 10 games ago you might be out of luck. it does cheapen your name a bit though

cramcakes

Prophet Steve said:
Wait what, there is AI?
And replays?
Only played the beta once since I was somewhat short on time but seems I should look a little more.

Click the Multiplayer button and then you can create a game. Fill the slots with "+A.I." button. Replays are in the menu that has a video camera icon. Don't worry, navigating the new Battle.net can be a bit daunting at first. Don't be afraid to ask gaffers for help/tips. Most here are pretty helpful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ashhong said:
yea you can just click on your profile, go to ur most recent game, and then bam, ur there again. although if its somoene you played with 10 games ago you might be out of luck. it does cheapen your name a bit though

FromTheFuture said:
The issue with the identifier system was that you could have 50 Idras, or whoever, and only one might be the real one. The problem with not having identifiers is you will have 1 Idra, who 99% of the time won't even be the real person. I'm not sure how I feel about all of it, but I'm beginning to lean towards keeping identifiers. It sure is a pain in the ass when you try to create a username on any website or community, only to have it already taken. Then you need to settle for another name that removes consistency between usernames, and which may be second best or worse.

You can go into your match history to see the results screen again for every game you've ever played, or observed.

Well I didn't know that! It doesn't much matter anymore now that identifiers are gone, so I can just remember the player's name (unless it's something crazy).

Personally, I think having a bunch of Idras is worse than having one fake Idra. Good players will soon become famous by their name, whatever they end up choosing, and it really cheapens the whole thing when anyone can use the same name as them.

cramcakes said:
Click the Multiplayer button and then you can create a game. Fill the slots with "+A.I." button. Replays are in the menu that has a video camera icon. Don't worry, navigating the new Battle.net can be a bit daunting at first. Don't be afraid to ask gaffers for help/tips. Most here are pretty helpful.
Never navigate the old one. Saw the custom match option, should have known that I could just enable AI there. Thanks. Really want to like Starcraft.

Deadly

ghst said:
as an unabashed protoss nub, can some wisend eldar give me the low down on what the actual in-game significance of reducing vr's range from 7-6 will be? it's rare that i feel that the unholy cornholing i'm given by even a modest gaggle of vr's would have been prevented by a 12% range decrease? will this effect the stalker/vr matchup for instance?
For one Terran's turrets couldn't even reach the VR's so a VR could easily destroy those

cramcakes

Prophet Steve said:
Never navigate the old one. Saw the custom match option, should have known that I could just enable AI there. Thanks. Really want to like Starcraft.

Well, even if you end up hating competitive play, there is still the single player campaign and custom maps that each play like their own game. Plenty to like. :D

ghst said:

To be honest, it doesn't change it THAT much...just means the voids have to be a tad bit closer to their targets and could come in range. To me, that range should be 5. This would be the range in which Hydras could out-range them with an upgrade. Making a hydra + infestor fungal growth combo an incredible counter.

Going through the entire directory of units, I can't really figure out any big things this changes, but it does, in theory, mean the protoss has to be THAT much closer to the base in order to start chewing it to kingdom-come :lol

VOIDS! ;)

Ri'Orius

Identifiers were pretty dumb.

Under the old system, there was no Idra, just Idra.foo, Idra.bar, Idra.thekiller, etc. All identifiers did was hide half of the user's name in some parts of the UI, while putting a silly restriction on names to have two parts.

Much better for names to just be one word, especially if they allow periods (and other punctuation) in names.

Yaweee

Nice! The download is going slow, but it should still only take around 5 minutes. Gargantuan FFA using a custom map, or a large team game?

Downloading!!! :D :D Who wants to play?

cramcakes said:
Mwuhahaaha.

So if we're SC2 pals, I can get maps through your profile or something? Has Blizz laid out how the map publishing works yet?

I think I will need to publish the levels and then somehow there will be a way on battle.net for you to download it, probably like in SC1 and WC3 where if you join my lobby it allows you to download it.

Ashhong

MisterAnderson said:
Downloading!!! :D :D Who wants to play?

I think I will need to publish the levels and then somehow there will be a way on battle.net for you to download it, probably like in SC1 and WC3 where if you join my lobby it allows you to download it.

i would imagine its similar to SC1 or how its setup now if you are missing files. invite ppl to your game and then when you start the game it downloads the necessary files

mines dling, is battle.net down though? who is in for 4v4 games as soon as its up?? i know i am

Ashhong

Aesthet1c said:
So was there a stat reset with this? I was seriously 1 more win away from hitting rank 1
in bronze

:lol

pretty sure there will be a reset since names are changed and the rank points start from 0 now

fatty

So, I get off from work early to play some SC2 and I find out the servers are down. :(

So from the little spare time I had that I used to play SC2, I'm now actually going back through this thread and watching links from SC2 related stuff that is helpful to bronze level players like myself. That and entertaining SC2 VODs and commentary. So if you have some please post them as I am editing a list that I will be working through.

Hazaro said:

close to the edge said:
http://blip.tv/file/3651794
Day[9]'s latest daily webcast-video thing. While they are always interesting and insightful, I found this one to be very useful for me personally (and probably also for a lot of the sub-Platinum league players here) He analyzes a game with players from Silver league, one from Gold league and points out their mistakes and what you can improve on. He points out a lot of small things that may seem, well, small on their own but they make you a better player combined. (e. g. sending out a Probe to build a Pylon slightly before you have the necessary minerals to build it, so you have it as early as possible)
I played 2 games since I watched this and won both, easily. Might be random but I think I did better than usually.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Downloading now, gaf 3v3 and 4v4 would've been epic back when we all still were playing, hopefully this will draw some of our less active players back in the loop!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Procarbine said:
Downloading now, gaf 3v3 and 4v4 would've been epic back when we all still were playing, hopefully this will draw some of our less active players back in the loop!
ill be back for this week. >_>

Milabrega

I put off building my PC until closer to release, still hoping for a CPU and or GPU price drop wave to happen (i5-750 and 5800 series come on!). I would just lag the shit out of 3v3 and 4v4 games on this current one anyway.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Milabrega said:
I put off building my PC until closer to release, still hoping for a CPU and or GPU price drop wave to happen (i5-750 and 5800 series come on!). I would just lag the shit out of 3v3 and 4v4 games on this current one anyway.
oh dammit, i didnt even think about that

Gritesh

I know, I'm waiting for the 5800 series to come down in price a bit as well.

I so badly want to splurge on one right now, but my 8800gts is working fine at the moment..

Cory_t_

this may be stupid but why do they keep changing hotkeys for races other than toss with the reseaon being the select all warpgates hotkey. why would i care about that hotkey as terran or zerg? am i missing something?

cramcakes

Cory_t_ said:
this may be stupid but why do they keep changing hotkeys for races other than toss with the reseaon being the select all warpgates hotkey. why would i care about that hotkey as terran or zerg? am i missing something?

I think it's for 2v2 games when your partner leaves and you gain control of their forces.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
cramcakes said:
I think it's for 2v2 games when your partner leaves and you gain control of their forces.
why dont they just use consistent hotkeys?

the letter tricks dont really help me remember anyway

qwer for top 4 in the control box
asdf for middle 4
zxcv for the bottom 4.

itd be soooo much better

Meeru

Banned
Gritesh said:
I know, I'm waiting for the 5800 series to come down in price a bit as well.

I so badly want to splurge on one right now, but my 8800gts is working fine at the moment..
good ol 8800gts,, :lol

Top Bottom