• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
2n88w3a.png

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=127046

Oh man this will be awesome.
I'm really really excited to watch how Tester plays.

The replays will be cast by Day[9] and Chill on Saturday, May 29 11:00am PDT.

Bo3's then Bo5's. $600, $300, $200, $100 to be won.

White-Ra is a Ukrainian StarCraft: Brood War top player who is very active and successful in StarCraft 2 tournaments.

IdrA needs no introduction. He is a pro-gamer and the first official SC2 pro on CJ Entus. A polarizing figure in the community, IdrA is well known for his skill and for his demeanor.

TheLittleOne is a new Liquid team member who is popular for his innovative builds and creative play, particularly for a game involving nukes and battlecruisers.

Tester is a former progamer and coach for the Korean team eStro. He is recognized by many as one of the best Asia Protoss players at the moment, and is currently an SC2 progamer. Check out an interview with him by Artosis here.

Sloegr

Hazaro said:
Oh man this will be awesome.
I'm really really excited to watch how Tester plays.

Yep, should be fun to watch. We get the MSL finals and this tournament to watch this weekend. Not bad.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ElJuice said:
Yep, should be fun to watch. We get the MSL finals and this tournament to watch this weekend. Not bad.
Yeah I doubt I'll watch the TL event live unless I nap from 5am to 11am.

4v4 is really brutal on my game's FPS. It was like playing a slide show.

I lowered the graphics settings to low, and it helped a little but the game looks like ass. :lol

Got my first win tonight! I only got into the beta a couple weeks ago and got slaughtered in my first game. Between reading up on how to play a bit better and being busy at work, I only just got my second live game in tonight. It was sloppy, but the other guy was sloppier. :D

DaFish

Ice Monkey said:
shit custom maps are working! WHO WANTS TO FUCKING PLAY 7v7 ON MY MAP!?!?! YES YES LORD

ADD ME tyrone714@gmail . com AUGHHHH
Had to turn my graphics down tonight after mass rush from 4v4... bet a 7v7 will be the end of my computer as we know it.

I wanna try it though!

Pretty sure that 3v3s and 4v4s are unplayable due to the terrible servers and not the players.

1v1 and 2v2 are working just fine.

7v7 just just raped my computer.

Paper Tiger

Neo Member
3v3 and 4v4 were both quite playable for me... not perfect, but playable. Fat better than how it's typically been since the patch. I'm done for tonight, but I'd definitely be up for some GAF 4v4 or 3v3 tomorrow night.

Paper Tiger

Neo Member
Of course, a caveat - if we play 4v4 with GAF's finest, I'm just going to be a liability. I'm a solid level player, but not diamond (yet! Or so I tell myself...).

Ri'Orius said:
Scoutability is probably one of the primary reasons it's a separate building. Also, there's the fact that DTs are produced from a gateway: if you just needed to research the tech, then you could build DTs almost immediately even if your entire main goes down.

What units are unlocked by researching tech? I don't believe there are any. It would be weird to do so.

Finally, I feel relatively certain that the Dark Shrine will be getting some upgrades or researchables in a later expansion. 'Twould only make sense.

(oh, and if you see a Starport with a Tech Lab, you can be pretty darn sure Banshees are coming)

There difference is Banshee do not suck without cloak and you can be doing other things / fall back to other things. The best thing to compare it to is ghosts as they require a special building. However that is lower tier, cheaper, has a fuckton more HP than a dark shrine, has upgrades for the ghost making ghosts "Super High Templars" and ofc they are not insta-gibbed by getting detection if you get detection while the GA goes down.

Either DT suck hard or Ghosts are overpowered, and since Ghosts are not overpowered DT suck. Hell if you compare HT to a ghost they suck too technically :lol

Chris R

5 or 6 times tonight... 4v4. My team gets pitted against 4 Z, all 6 pool, and they hit the softest target... Getting pretty sick and tired of that stuff happening :| I mean I wish they would come and try to attack me as I have nice static D waiting for them, but they always pick the softie of the bunch.

And speaking of 4v4, in the 20+ games I've played, I've yet to be in a group that was even slightly favored or even. Always the other team has the "favored" status even though they only win like 50% of the time (well more since basically every Z player started to 6 pool)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
JWong said:
Anyone make a rendition of The Hunters map? The Blizz 3v3 and 4v4 maps aren't fun.

Honestly, The Hunters is a terrible map. It's horribly asymmetrical and unbalanced. It only got attention because of BGH.

ZealousD

mcrae said:
lol, i had just read his post too. i suppose i need to pay more attention to usernames :lol

Zealous: gj holding out, it was the game where 3 zerg rushed your team and you were the last man standing with some sunkens and mutas. if you had slightly better teammates you guys probably woulda whopped us

Just noticed I missed your post earlier, sorry man. :lol

Yeah, I managed to kill a healthy amount of drones with my little muta stack before I went out. One of your teammates kept sending banelings to kill my drones, thought that was a bit overkill. :lol

V_Arnold

watervengeance said:
I really don't fucking understand why people fucking cheese.

Well, it is only cheese if you have some virtual, not-known-by-others rulesets which only allows "normal" playstyles....

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
watervengeance said:
Ego, lazy, vindictive, hard day at work, childish, bad.
Well, it is only cheese if you have some virtual, not-known-by-others rulesets which only allows "normal" playstyles....
I think watervengeance was really questioning what people gain from cheesing. There's no real strategy/tactics or effort involved beyond knowing the precise build order. All you're getting is a temporary ego-boost, it's really a hollow victory everything considered.

watervengeance said:

Because people are playing a war to win, and if that wins then they will do it same as IRL. Example - Adolf Hitler cheesed Charles de Gaulle causing France to GG to Germany last century :lol

fanboi

Banned
ChronicleX said:
Because people are playing a war to win, and if that wins then they will do it same as IRL. Example - Adolf Hitler cheesed Charles de Gaulle causing France to GG to Germany last century :lol

wat

ZealousD

Still working on the glossary for the official thread's OP. Can you guys run through and see if I'm missing any key terms? Looking only for terms unique to Starcraft or RTSs in general. I think it's a pretty exhaustive list but I'm probably missing some blatantly obvious terms.

# POOL - eg 6 Pool, 13 Pool, etc. The number of drones made before building a Spawning Pool. Variants of this term extend to other races, eg 10 Depot, 9 Pylon, etc.

_v_ - Refers to possible race matchups. eg, TvZ = Terran vs Zerg. PvP = Protoss vs Protoss. 4v4 = 4 players vs 4 other players.

APM - Actions Per Minute. The number of clicks and button presses that a player performs in a single minute. Used as a measurement of a player's speed.

BC - Battlecruiser.

BL - Brood Lord.

BM - Bad Manners. Can refer to "rage quitting", insulting an opponent, etc.

BUILD ORDER - The set order and timing as to when certain structures and units are built.

BW - Brood War, the expansion set to the original Starcraft.

CC - Short for either Command Center or Cybernetics Core.

CHEESE - High risk/reward early game strategies, sometimes viewed as unorthodox. Most successful against newer players. If a cheese strategy fails, then the player executing the cheese usually loses. eg. Photon Cannon rushes, "Proxy" Gateways, "6 pool", etc.

CRACKLINGS - Zerglings with the attack speed upgrade.

DANCING - A "micro" technique. Refers to a player attacking a unit, moving away, attacking, moving back, attacking, moving back, etc. Meant to maximize the damage given to a player while minimizing the damage received. May also refer to "getting down with it", or "doing a little jig".

DT - Dark Templar

ECONOMY - The health of a player's resource collection. A player with good economy generally has lots of workers mining resources.

EXPO - Expansion. An additional base that is built to improve a player's economy.

FE - Fast Expand. A strategy of building a mining expansion very early into the game. Most commonly associated with Zerg.

FF - Force Field.

FFA - Free For All. Games with multiple players where every player is fighting against every other player.

GG - Good Game. Most often said by a player when he concedes the match. If a player does not declare "GG" before leaving a match, or says it first when not intending to concede, it can be considered "BM", or rude.

GL HF - Good Luck, Have Fun. A common greeting at the beginning of a match.

HARASSMENT - Using hit-and-run attacks to damage, but not intend to destroy, an opponent. Important units and structures are generally the target of harassment the most. For example, a player might "harass" an enemy by sending mutalisks to destroy a player's workers.

HATCH - Hatchery.

HT / HIGH TEMPSs - High Templar.

HYDRAS - Hydralisks.

KEKEKEKE - A Korean laugh. Generally used for humor, often associated with zerg rushes.

LINGS - Zerglings.

LOTS - Zealots.

MACRO - Actions performed by the player that is centered around a player's base. "Macro" actions include things such as building units, building structures, researching upgrades, expanding, etc. A player with good macro is a player that manages their resources well.

MACRO MECHANICS - The specific macro-related abilities that each race in the game has. The Zerg Queen, Protoss Chrono Boost, Terran Orbital Command.

MBS - Multiple Building Select. A new feature in Starcraft 2, which allows you to select multiple buildings at a time to enable faster unit building.

MELEE - The standard Starcraft II game type. Uses the default units and starting conditions.

MICRO - Actions performed by the player when he is controlling his army. Micro actions include focus firing, "dancing", getting units into position, "harassment", etc. A player with good "micro" generally gets to most out of their units.

MMM - Marines, Marauders, and Medivacs. Common strategy of using a mass of basic Terran infantry units with healing and mobility backup from medivacs.

MUTAS - Mutalisks.

NATURAL (EXPANSION) - The closest possible expansion to your base. Most players expand to their natural first as it is the easiest type of expansion to defend.

PROXY - Building structures close to your enemy, usually far away from your main base. In the early game, it allows faster rushing, but is more risky if the rush fails. Protoss may build "proxy" pylons close to an enemy to allow for faster warp ins.

QQ - The act of crying. Two Q's together look like eyes crying.

RAX / RACKS - Barracks.

RINES - Marines.

ROBO - Robotics Bay.

RUSH - Making a quick attack, intending to kill an opponent before they build up to higher tier units.

SIMCITY - Having a large base with many structures, sometimes in reference to these buildings being a very ordered manner. Reference to the Maxis game of the same name, where you would be the creator of your own metropolis.

SPEEDLINGS - Zerglings with the speed upgrade.

TC - Twilight Council

TD - Tower Defense. A common UMS map-type.

TIMING PUSH - A vague term. Generally refers to pushing out with your army when your opponent is weak, maybe due to the fact that they are teching or expanding.

TL - Team Liquid. A well-known professional/high-level Starcraft community.

ULTRAS - Ultralisks.

UMS - Use Map Settings. Refers to custom made maps that feature unique game types beyond the standard melee-type game.

WALL OFF - The strategy of building structures and units at your base's choke point to help guard against early rushes. For Terran, this usually means 2 supply depots with a barracks. For Protoss, this usually means making the choke even smaller with structures and then closing the choke with zealots in the hold position.

V_Arnold

Halycon said:
I think watervengeance was really questioning what people gain from cheesing. There's no real strategy/tactics or effort involved beyond knowing the precise build order. All you're getting is a temporary ego-boost, it's really a hollow victory everything considered.

They win. You know, the reason you build up your strategies, and practice, is to be competitive AND to win.

Those complaining about cheese should be thankful instead, as it gives them an opportunity to practice against stuff which are unexpected to happen, but happen anyway. So if you have a counter, use it. If you dont, then the opponent was better.

Always try to look the game as it is: a game, a match, one entity, totally independent of what your long-term gameplans are with SCII, and what your opponents are.

fanboi

Banned
V_Arnold said:
They win. You know, the reason you build up your strategies, and practice, is to be competitive AND to win.

Those complaining about cheese should be thankful instead, as it gives them an opportunity to practice against stuff which are unexpected to happen, but happen anyway. So if you have a counter, use it. If you dont, then the opponent was better.

Always try to look the game as it is: a game, a match, one entity, totally independent of what your long-term gameplans are with SCII, and what your opponents are.

You need to add me ingame oldern!

Vaporak

watervengeance said:

Well, it works in lower level play where most people don't know how to scout and counter it correctly, so people keep doing it. As it gets less useful you see it less often.

west

DT:s are good. I have won several PvT matches lategame by breaking the stalemate with DT:s. Just send one to each expansion, and they will have to scan like crazy or lose one of them. Usually they don't have the energy/micro to stop them in time and at the very least they take a more defensive stance allowing Protoss to get map control. DT damage is insane. Plus blocking flying buildings from landing with DT:s is hilarious.

Finaly got into Platinum league and now the servers are broken.... T_T

Top Bottom