• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zzoram said:
Nope, I love Warcraft III TDs. I particularly like Burbenog but I can't host and it's only possible with 4 people. Mind if I join you guys some time? What server/time/timezone?
Sure, I'm pretty sure it's US West and my name there is Lamonster. Might not play for a few days though.

Zzoram

The Lamonster said:
No way! Keep checking. There are usually plenty of Legion TD and Element TD games out there.

One of the things about Starcraft 2 that I'm looking forward to is the abundance of TD games at all hours of the day.

Zzoram said:
One of the things about Starcraft 2 that I'm looking forward to is the abundance of TD games at all hours of the day.
Definitely. Also, I bet there will be some amazing custom games right out of the box that Blizzard created.

Milabrega

Yeah I think the SC2 editor will usher in a new evolution to TD games that the flash/iphone copy cats couldn't/didn't. Also looking forward to SC2 Bunker D, protect the castle and the abundance of RPG's.

I think first thing I'm going to try to do is recreate SC: Ghost segments from the old trailers.

So I went over to a friends place and played a few matches as terran. Things worked well until I knew the enemy was going to mass air. It seems like Terran doesnt have much anti air to work with; marines -> vikings -> battlecruisers and thors. marines and vikings are too weak for end game as they cant stand up to muta spam and bc's/thors cost way too much to be viable. Not only that is that they arent even that great against air unit spam. Adding goliaths to the unit selection would probably fill the gap in this case.

Milabrega said:
Yeah I think the SC2 editor will usher in a new evolution to TD games that the flash/iphone copy cats couldn't/didn't. Also looking forward to SC2 Bunker D, protect the castle and the abundance of RPG's.

I think first thing I'm going to try to do is recreate SC: Ghost segments from the old trailers.

galaxy editor should be out RIGHT NOW so that these maps are available when the game ships.

jesus blizzard and their whole "oh it might not even make sense to release galaxy editor during beta now"

STOP FUCKING AROUND and just say you dont wanna do it nanny nanny boo boo, thats much better than lying through their teeth.

scoobs

lol im so hyped i just re-bought the SC battle chest off amazon cuz i lost my old one :) Gotta get the rust off the old pipes!

Freakinchair said:
So I went over to a friends place and played a few matches as terran. Things worked well until I knew the enemy was going to mass air. It seems like Terran doesnt have much anti air to work with; marines -> vikings -> battlecruisers and thors. marines and vikings are too weak for end game as they cant stand up to muta spam and bc's/thors cost way too much to be viable. Not only that is that they arent even that great against air unit spam. Adding goliaths to the unit selection would probably fill the gap in this case.
Missile turrets...? Cheap and fast! I guess they won't do much for offense though.

Zzoram said:
Considering that they're saying 3 months for the beta, that means it ends in mid-April. Late May or early June launch?
I'd say that's best-case scenario. I'm expecting somewhere around July.

"Considering that they're saying 3 months for the beta, that means it ends in mid-April. Late May or early June launch?"

Wouldn't that be May? I'd agree they're probably targeting a June-ish launch, since they said they're still looking at release in the first half of the year.

The Lamonster said:
Missile turrets...? Cheap and fast! I guess they won't do much for offense though.

I'd say that's best-case scenario. I'm expecting somewhere around July.

this is kinda what i mentioned before, if he's specifically talking about carrier/mothership spam, there is no counter.

otherwise, i mean ANYTHING ELSE you can use vikings and thors, plus BCs if you have enough for them. yamato cannon appears to work well against mothership.

carriers/mothership blitzkrieg completely destroys the game after a while, its basically like playing rock/paper/scissors and the "funny guy" plays volcano and makes his hands explode while the other guy is like....uhhh, paper?

Zzoram said:
Considering that they're saying 3 months for the beta, that means it ends in mid-April. Late May or early June launch?

lol 3 months would be mid may, it started 2-17, so that would be 2-17 through 3-17 through 4-17 through 5-17, total 3 months. Earliest possible would be end of may, and honestly with as polished as bnet 2.0 and multiplayer are, only thing to hold it up would be SP bug-testing which i'd assume is nearly finished if not over and done with for the past year.

I mean look at beta, and ask yourself if the way it is right now makes sense for the vanilla multiplayer as will be given when the game starts. Sounds right to me.

Zzoram

Teknopathetic said:
"Considering that they're saying 3 months for the beta, that means it ends in mid-April. Late May or early June launch?"

Wouldn't that be May? I'd agree they're probably targeting a June-ish launch, since they said they're still looking at release in the first half of the year.

Good catch, so June release.

TheExodu5

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

Yes that would be May. :D

I think they're going to be dragging it out more than that. There are units still not in beta and lots of the graphical options are not working. I'd be surprised if they released it so soon.

Zzoram

TheExodu5 said:

I think they're going to be dragging it out more than that. There are units still not in beta and lots of the graphical options are not working. I'd be surprised if they released it so soon.

The latest Blizzcast says that they wanted a 4-5 month beta but they want to release in the first half of the year (read: June) so they're cutting the beta down to 3 months.

TheExodu5 said:

which units? everything that is in there has been explained away. like lurkers aint there but they were taken out because they just serve no purpose with ultras at the same tier.

goliaths were replaced by thor essentially. hellions replaced firebats. stalkers replaced dragoons. colossi replaced reavers. medivacs are medics mixed with dropship. scourge turned into banelings. brood lords are the new guardians. corruptors are the new AA zerg. infestors are the new defilers. dark archons were crap so they cut them and gave feedback to HT.

everything's there, and its pretty damn balanced as it is. just needs a few tweaks just like their patch came out with.

Zzoram said:
The latest Blizzcast says that they wanted a 4-5 month beta but they want to release in the first half of the year (read: June) so they're cutting the beta down to 3 months.

they didnt say they are cutting it down JUST to get first half 2010, they said beta doesn't NEED more than 3 months, because its a lot more finished than they anticipated. There's a precise difference :)

You guys, this is Blizzard. It's going to take longer than we think. And the first-half thing everyone on banking on is just a goal. I wouldn't hope for anything earlier than July lest you want to get your hopes up.

That said, at what point do you guys think they will announce the release date?

Zzoram said:
To be fair, a 3 month beta is still on the long end for a video game beta.

only thing I am confused about is how long it's taking them to ramp up the distribution of the keys. I mean, it just seems to make more sense that they should have a constant influx of beta players until the servers are completely hosed and they need to figure out how to improve the new infrastructure. They should even be testing multiplayer achievement tracking and every other interface that they seem to have greyed out for beta. not to mention add in 4v4 and 8p ffa along with a good set of blizz-approved large maps.

galaxy editor was always seeming to be a strange plus for beta so i'm not surprised they took it out. it could still show up though I guess. I'm wondering if they worry that if they open beta up to too many people they might hurt sales or something, I've never seen a beta that had as much content as the multiplayer retail will have as much as is in sc2 beta.

The Lamonster said:
You guys, this is Blizzard. It's going to take longer than we think. And the first-half thing everyone on banking on is just a goal. I wouldn't hope for anything earlier than July lest you want to get your hopes up.

no telling when they actually announce the release date but i'd bet on it being VERY possible beta actually ends and they still have yet to give a date.

it doesnt matter to me at all though because i have beta to screw around with for the next several months, and then if they really want to cut me off for a month or two while retail comes out then i suppose beta could be cracked by then.

Zzoram

Ice Monkey said:
no telling when they actually announce the release date but i'd bet on it being VERY possible beta actually ends and they still have yet to give a date.

it doesnt matter to me at all though because i have beta to screw around with for the next several months, and then if they really want to cut me off for a month or two while retail comes out then i suppose beta could be cracked by then.

The rest of us don't.

My friend in the beta says he still never sees more than 3000 people online at once (North America) even after the 2nd wave.

Zzoram said:
The rest of us don't.

My friend in the beta says he still never sees more than 3000 people online at once (North America) even after the 2nd wave.
So far, I've usually only seen ~2200 online (US). It's a surprisingly small number. Let's see if they add more testers next week.

Hopefully you'll get in, Zzoram!

Zzoram said:
The rest of us don't.

yeah, i didn't mean to come off as elitist or anything, i'm really lucky my gf won me that twitter contest.

i really dont know what blizz is thinking, you can really almost see it as they just figured they HAD to announce at that conference call that beta was out this month and they still dont feel like stress testing with as slow as they are being.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Lamonster said:

That is basically my hunch into letting me think this will be longer than 3 months. I'm a pessimist when it comes to Blizzard and Valve though...always set your hopes for it taking longer than advertised and you won't be let down. :)

As for the missing units, I guess I was mistaken then. Everyone was telling me lurkers were coming back in after they were "fixed". I'll be glad if they're not in...I don't want any more Zerg micro abilities.

Ice Monkey said:
only thing I am confused about is how long it's taking them to ramp up the distribution of the keys. I mean, it just seems to make more sense that they should have a constant influx of beta players until the servers are completely hosed and they need to figure out how to improve the new infrastructure. They should even be testing multiplayer achievement tracking and every other interface that they seem to have greyed out for beta. not to mention add in 4v4 and 8p ffa along with a good set of blizz-approved large maps.

Since this is a 3 month beta at a minimum, I think it's a reasonable assumption that we won't reach the stress test for a while yet. That will be much closer to the end of the beta.

TheExodu5 said:
That is basically my hunch into letting me think this will be longer than 3 months. I'm a pessimist when it comes to Blizzard and Valve though...always set your hopes for it taking longer than advertised and you won't be let down. :)

As for the missing units, I guess I was mistaken then. Everyone was telling me lurkers were coming back in after they were "fixed". I'll be glad if they're not in...I don't want any more Zerg micro abilities.

Since this is a 3 month beta at a minimum, I think it's a reasonable assumption that we won't reach the stress test for a while yet. That will be much closer to the end of the beta.

i think lurkers are fine, like they like how they are but they arent budging about the tier necessary, its like how they made hydras 2nd tier because of the roach replacement for tier 1, so why would lurker upgrade for hydra be 2nd tier as well....so now lurker is 3rd tier, but then with ultralisk around lurker is simply a hilariously late base defense, and to be honest burrowed banelings are probably a better use of resources than lurkers for base defense ever, and are tier 1 so theyre already there by the time you get lurkers.

They just dont have a place in multi anymore, at least thats what they said and i fully understand it although lurkers were always my fave zerg unit. :-/

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh, also meant to mention that I tried SC2 on the shittier computers at University today.

Pentium IV 3.4GHz
Intel Integrated Graphics (not sure which chipset, but it's with a Pentium IV so it can't be very good)
1GB RAM

Basically, well below specifications. On lowest settings at 1440*900 it was borderline playable. Probably 20fps on the space map. Pretty impressive that it ran that well.

Next week I should be able to try it on the better computers:

Core 2 Duo E8400
Intel Series 4 Integrated
4GB RAM

That should be a pretty common household computer (except the CPU is probably a bit faster than most homes). Should be a good indicator how well it scales to today's low end machines. I have high hopes. :)

Ice Monkey said:
i think lurkers are fine, like they like how they are but they arent budging about the tier necessary, its like how they made hydras 2nd tier because of the roach replacement for tier 1, so why would lurker upgrade for hydra be 2nd tier as well....so now lurker is 3rd tier, but then with ultralisk around lurker is simply a hilariously late base defense, and to be honest burrowed banelings are probably a better use of resources than lurkers for base defense ever, and are tier 1 so theyre already there by the time you get lurkers.

They just dont have a place in multi anymore, at least thats what they said and i fully understand it although lurkers were always my fave zerg unit. :-/

Zerglings have always been my favorite unit and they are absolutely delicious in SC2. Cracklings move around like the scarabs in The Mummy and just disintegrate anything they touch. It's amazing to watch.

Oh, and try playing against the AI and create like 100 Banelings. Burrow them all over the enemy's base and watch the fireworks. It's like if 10 nukes went off at once. :D

TheExodu5 said:
Oh, also meant to mention that I tried SC2 on the shittier computers at University today.

Pentium IV 3.4GHz
Intel Integrated Graphics (not sure which chipset, but it's with a Pentium IV so it can't be very good)
1GB RAM

Basically, well below specifications. On lowest settings at 1440*900 it was borderline playable. Probably 20fps on the space map. Pretty impressive that it ran that well.

Next week I should be able to try it on the better computers:

Core 2 Duo E8400
Intel Series 4 Integrated
4GB RAM

That should be a pretty common household computer (except the CPU is probably a bit faster than most homes). Should be a good indicator how well it scales to today's low end machines. I have high hopes. :)

Zerglings have always been my favorite unit and they are absolutely delicious in SC2. Cracklings move around like the scarabs in The Mummy and just disintegrate anything they touch. It's amazing to watch.

Oh, and try playing against the AI and create like 100 Banelings. Burrow them all over the enemy's base and watch the fireworks. It's like if 10 nukes went off at once. :D

my absolute FAVORITE thing to do right now in a matchmake game is get like 50 banelings with the structure auto attack on, put em into a nydus, spawn a nydus worm and put the rally point at the entrance to their base. Nydus rallies cause an a-move so the banelings, one by one, roll through their base like a steamroller hitting each building they encounter.

I can't say its the most effective thing to do but it looks awesome!

oh and its weird that you only get 20fps with that comp, i can get 20 fps with an atom/gma950 combo in a netbook O . O although I played it at 1024x768

TheExodu5

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
oh and its weird that you only get 20fps with that comp, i can get 20 fps with an atom/gma950 combo in a netbook O . O although I played it at 1024x768

Yeah well it's also a school computer with lots of unecessary security apps running on it. It's pretty close to a worst case scenario. I guess I could have squeezed a more playable 30fps with 1024*768. Still, it's well below recommended specs, as an Intel GMA950 equivalent card I believe is much slower than a 6600GT.

Raide

Quick question for those playing team games, is it possible to give control of units to the other team? (Basically can you give a Zerg Player an SCV.)

LiK

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah well it's also a school computer with lots of unecessary security apps running on it. It's pretty close to a worst case scenario. I guess I could have squeezed a more playable 30fps with 1024*768. Still, it's well below recommended specs, as an Intel GMA950 equivalent card I believe is much slower than a 6600GT.

sent you a friend req, accept so we can do some 2v2, i need to practice!

I'm really confused with how to properly create a wall as a terran player. From what I see in replays, it seems really hard to know if you left a hole open or not...

The ramps are at a sort of isometric angle, while all the buildings are viewed straight on, so it's a little confusing.

Raide said:
Quick question for those playing team games, is it possible to give control of units to the other team? (Basically can you give a Zerg Player an SCV.)

you can give control but the other player cant build anything.

TheExodu5

Banned
LiK said:
sent you a friend req, accept so we can do some 2v2, i need to practice!

I'm getting home in a bit! I'm still at school!

P.S. anyone that's playing can also hop on my Vent server if they like. If there's any interest I'll up the slots. If not, then no worries...SC2 has built in voice chat I believe. :)

autobzooty said:
I'm really confused with how to properly create a wall as a terran player. From what I see in replays, it seems really hard to know if you left a hole open or not...

The ramps are at a sort of isometric angle, while all the buildings are viewed straight on, so it's a little confusing.

I have that issue as well. I should also mention on their feedback forums that the red part of the grid (when you can't build) is not very visible as a red/green colorblind person. I mean, I can see the difference, but it doesn't stand out like it should.

autobzooty said:

theres a picture someone drew up of how to do it on some particular map, but i cant remember where. try the teamliquid forums.

you should be able to properly wall with two depots and a rax with tech lab. if there's a hole open, you can tell by seeing which squares when you're hovering with the build depot option are green, if theres anywhere where two greens are diagonal or if theres simply a green square line straight through the wall then it aint a wall. build one more depot and it should plug it up.

honestly sometimes building the wall like shit looks like it is a better strategy sometimes in my opinion because then you keep from having all units attack one lone depot as much as they can.

LiK

added lamonster and ice monkey.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm getting home in a bit! I'm still at school!

P.S. anyone that's playing can also hop on my Vent server if they like. If there's any interest I'll up the slots. If not, then no worries...SC2 has built in voice chat I believe. :)

i dont use vent and i dont plan on using the mic for the beta. need to practice

for some reason, i can't change the CPU AI beyond Very Easy. not sure why

Minsc

Gold Member
LiK said:
added lamonster and ice monkey.

i dont use vent and i dont plan on using the mic for the beta. need to practice

for some reason, i can't change the CPU AI beyond Very Easy. not sure why

No one can, Blizzard intended it that way. The beta test isn't for the computer AI... plus it makes a hacked beta less appealing, since the AI is supposedly dumber than a brick.

Slightly speaking of voice chat, has anyone tried it yet? Blizzard said in their patch notes that it's an early feature and there are known issues, but is it usable?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
For GAF members who have entered, 2 and a half hours until I announce the winner of the beta key I am giving away. Good luck to those who did take their time to enter =)

Caspel said:
For GAF members who have entered, 2 and a half hours until I announce the winner of the beta key I am giving away. Good luck to those who did take their time to enter =)
I definitely entered and I'm PUMPED! Thanks again. :D

Top Bottom