• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spitfire098

fda248278584363223e7118c57e3944a4972d5d683a451a93cb2fa7ecd28cdf2.jpg

Generation defining AI 👏

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve only read a few reviews so far, but it doesn’t seem like Starfield breaks any new ground. It’s just a solid Bethesda experience in space. Does that seem like the case? (Albeit a gross oversimplification.)

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Some of you people need clearly need to chill. It's just a videogame. It's not a second coming for Xbox (I really think that Phil/Todd wanted that sweet 90+ meta), but boy, this year was totally unreal for RPG genre in general.

From the reviews it's clearly not for me, I'm very tired from the Creation Engine RPG formula and Starfield is just that, but even wider and shallower. Still, I really think that as with F4 there will be loads of people who will enjoy Starfield immensely because it is predictable and cozy Creation Engine RPG.

It's just a little sad that Bethesda was too safe with their general formula and stayed more or less in it's limits despite the new setting.

FunkMiller

I’ve only read a few reviews so far, but it doesn’t seem like Starfield breaks any new ground. It’s just a solid Bethesda experience in space. Does that seem like the case? (Albeit a gross oversimplification.)

More or less. Very much a BGS game, but bigger in scale, smaller in terms of exploration and discovery.

Not a GOTY contender by any stretch though, judging from the response so far.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
That seems to be the gist of it, yes.
It's not like the game ever really looked like it was pushing forward or changing Bethesda's design models in any substantial way. It was always just "more bigger".

Obviously. Some of worst rated games this year were 70. (my fav games mind you)
Best games being 88 is only 18 points apart
Well said. And aggregate scores don't mean jack squat for the most part. I really wish the community would move past that.

All of us play games and can decide for ourselves. The tit for tat with review scores is well beyond embarrassing at this point. Too many of us allow ourselves to be shackled to the opinions of neckbeards.

Macaron

Banned
I swear this is some of you people's first time in a review of the high profile game you should be informed that lots of times the initial score is actually not as good as the score as things settled. And to have a truly nine or 10 game means it's exceptional and almost without flaw and this game is far from that. Can I be surprised if it ends up being less favorable even than it is now so don't get caught up too much in the score just because the game you might have interest in isn't given a free Passover everything or combed over by the reviewers. The reviews that are the most constructively critical or the ones you want to read not the ones that are going to tell you what you want to hear.

That Bethesda gameplay and feel worked a long time ago and I think based on just the expectation and I don't think the exclusivity thing helped but just based on those things I feel like it was always set up to fail in the eyes of even the most staunch fans. So it's going to go in the same pile as any other game that was probably overhyped and be a decent average game at the end of the day. It's not a bad game and that's the takeaway not because it needs to be amazing. This game isn't one of those types based on everything that I think a lot of us have already seen. So any 10 out of 10 or anything like that you should automatically be separating that and throwing it in the garbage as far as I'm concerned.
The initial score isn't as good as the score when things settle? Wanna provide examples? Cause just off top of my head Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Ragnarok, Death Loop if you wanna consider that "high profile" all had amazingggg initial reviews only for consumer reaction to feel they are less praise worthy with more time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This game is nowhere near being a 10. People who gave it a 10 have decided to turn a blind eye to a bunch of shit.

Also sus as fuck that after so much shit about how open world games should be, Starfield being basically a menu based type of exploration somehow gets away at some of these places?

Dude, are you OK?

Its average is an 88 or so, probs will settle around 85 /84. Better than fallout 4.

graywolf323

Review threads are mostly shit. But context and expectations are relevant here.

This game has been hyped for years, and the buildup has been absolutely insane the last few weeks. The same people saying it was a game of the generation contender and definitely getting 95+ and saving Xbox the last few weeks are the same ones now acting like 88 is a great score and always was, and everyone is trolling who is disappointed or surprised it is that low. The hyperbole goes both ways.
too bad the poll doesn’t show how people voted, I’m curious to see who voted for what

damidu

loading screens is whats bugging me most, hope they are not too bad on pc
if you are going for unrestricted space exploration feel, work on your ancient engine first geez.

Last edited:

Gideon

Mate, excusing Bethesda wasn't the point of my reply, the point is that NMS is not a substitute for Starfield, since people want a Bethesda RPG with space exploration and NMS isn't it. NMS is just space exploration.
I agree, NMS is overall pretty empty but I was expecting bethesda to atleast make space exploration acceptable...

FunkMiller

Im going for the Standard Edition, all the review point up this is a good game, but it's not enough for the ammount it was hyped for.

It’s the definition of a GP game for me. Looks good enough to play, but not quite good enough to fork out seventy quid, given how many games are out now or soon.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think this is confirmation that if you take the performance pressure away from studios, you get a subpar release. This has happened so many times since Gamepass. It happens in television too--look at Star Trek: Discovery getting funded for 5 seasons sight unseen, and Amazon's Lord of the Rings.

Lol you are seriously dillusional if you think there was no performance pressure on this game. Pretty much everything has been riding on this game for 2 years.
Another nonsensical argument against gamepass with zero credibility.

And I hate to break it to you, but lord of the rings was good.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The initial score isn't as good as the score when things settle? Wanna provide examples? Cause just off top of my head Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Ragnarok, Death Loop if you wanna consider that "high profile" all had amazingggg initial reviews only for consumer reaction to feel they are less praise worthy with more time.
Usually things don't age as well and based on what is initially some degree of high scores and some less than high scores, it's a little concerning given some of the bugs and things that have been outlined in some of the videos. While some of the reviewers have said specifically that this is the least buggy Bethesda game ever there has been others that say that the bugs are even worse the further you get into the game. And specifically say that it almost seems like they pause the hell out of it to a certain point and then the bugs start popping up.

It's a little bit interesting how that was handled but the point about the reviews is that if you are seeing high scores or whatever score it is before the consumer gets their hand on it, I think a lot of the positives might be overblown and some of the negatives might be overlooked but objectively you cannot come and look at the game the way you see it and tell me it's any more than an 8 right now. Unless it's exceptional and flawless and amazing story and none of that is true. I have the money set aside for this game I don't have to explain or convince you but because it goes against maybe what other people might be anticipating or whatever, I just look at it as saving $100 that I don't have to spend tomorrow and probably just game passing the game.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The main hope for the game was in story and roleplaying depth. Said this over a year ago after the first major gameplay reveal. It was never going to be some hyper polished action game like Horizon.

I’m speaking more in terms of exploration and open ended gameplay vs linearity of narrative driven gameplay.

People were focusing so much on exploration, because that’s kinda what made Bethesda games what they were, and turns out Starfield went the other way. Which is why some reviewers, much like Gene Park, liked it so much ironically enough.

Lokaum D+

imagine the level of copium needed to defend a game that has promised to be the most ambitious game out there and u cant even freely explore.

its Cyberpunk all over again.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
When I was 12, there I was collecting monthly game magazine with tons of demos and always 1-2 full versions of games.
So I had plenty to read, play, test, explore and so on.

Kids dont have that now, so GP maybe is a good entry
You’re comparing a time when there were much fewer games coming out, and full games free with magazines were usually years-old PC games (which magazine ever gifted a full console game to its readers?), to… a service that lets you play AAA games day one in a time when dozens of games come out every single month? Really?

A month of Game Pass Ultimate costs as much as two issues of a 90s monthly gaming magazine with a demo CD, just so we have a fuller picture of the preposterous comparison you’re making here.

Top Bottom