• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GHG

Gold Member
I like NMS and it is an enjoyable sandbox game, but the idea that it has anything like as complex as Starfield is absurd. The reason why the seamless transition was possible was because the planets have next to nothing going on.

What’s odd about the starfield planet travel is not the fact that there’s loading, simply that the UX design is so clunky. It should be like Destiny 2. Pick a planet, press a button.

This is not true at all. It's because of the tech behind the engine, which they purpose built for the game.

Please take the time to educate yourself:

If what you said were true then they would have had no chance in terms of being able to update the game the way they have since it launched (there's now a ton of stuff going on under the hood, from the multiplayer pvp/co-op side, the weather/storm system, persistent base building, AI companions, portals, all the way through to quests and the economy). The foundations they created, especially for such a small team, are remarkable. It's the one area you couldn't fault them, even at launch.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Yeah, it's a fallout game in space with better writing and missions but you are basically fast travelling around. Flying seems like its for dog fights and looting ships, but you're not just gonna fly through space.

They could build on that side, but I'm just in love with the missions, the conversations, the raiding outposts. Doing missions basically. The flying is fun for me but its not like I'm gonna sit down on my ship and fly for 2 hours.
Is your pfp Todd Howard? lol

Or should I say, Theodora?

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is not true at all. It's because of the tech behind the engine, which they purpose built for the game.

Please take the time to educate yourself:

If what you said were true then they would have had no chance in terms of being able to update the game the way they have since it launched. The foundations they created, especially for such a small team, are remarkable. It's the one area you couldn't fault them, even at launch.

Trying to compare Starfield favourably to NMS is a big L. Hello Games had 26 employees as of 2020. Bethesda, Zenimax and Microsoft absolutely dwarf them in every resource imaginable.

NMS had a disgraceful launch and marketing campaign, but what they have done since is absolutely remarkable.

Their interplanetary travel system with no loading screens is an fantastic achievement. When you consider that they have it running rock solid on Switch it’s even more impressive.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Trying to compare Starfield favourably to NMS is a big L. Hello Games had 26 employees as of 2020. Bethesda, Zenimax and Microsoft absolutely dwarf them in every resource imaginable.

NMS had a disgraceful launch and marketing campaign, but what they have done since is absolutely remarkable.

Their interplanetary travel system with no loading screens is an fantastic achievement. When you consider that they have it running rock solid on Switch it’s even more impressive.

They deserve praise. Let's see where starfield is in 8 years to make a fair comparison.

Virex

Banned
What the fuck is this

starfieldflight.jpg

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

It runs on Switch/potato PC's all the way up to modern consoles and high end PC's where you have the option of playing in VR (also against/with people who are not playing in VR).

Like you said, this is not a comparison to be made when defending Starfield, current NMS embarrasses what they've come up with in so many aspects. With the resources they have at Bethesda they should have looked at current NMS and treated that as the bare minimum they should be delivering in terms of the open world (or "open galaxy") experience they should be offering. That plus their RPG mechanics/world building on top really would have made the game of the forever that so many people were dreaming of.

It's become abundantly obvious that the AAA space is broken, too much bloat, too many conflicting motives, too much focus on making money over delivering enriching player experiences. It's clear that the engine they've built this game on is not fit for purpose, I just don't understand how someone didn't step in early on in the project and say it's time to start from scratch. They had more than enough time, manpower and resources to be able to do so. There is no innovation in the AAA space, iteration is the only thing that they know how to do, so much so that they were willing to frankenstein the Skyrim/Fallout foundation into whatever the hell this is.

I'm willing to bet that at some indie team/developer will come up with the game that they wished they could make in the next decade.

When I look at games like Star Sector and terra invicta I can't help but think that it's the guys that are behind games like those who deserve a punt in terms of funding (and gamer/press support) to be able to turn those games into something that can be played in first or third person. That's why BG3 has been such a pleasant surprise in terms of the success they've had this year.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It runs on Switch/potato PC's all the way up to modern consoles and high end PC's where you have the option of playing in VR (also against/with people who are not playing in VR).

Like you said, this is not a comparison to be made when defending Starfield, current NMS embarrasses what they've come up with in so many aspects. With the resources they have at Bethesda they should have looked at current NMS and treated that as the bare minimum they should be delivering in terms of the open world (or "open galaxy") experience they should be offering. That plus their RPG mechanics/world building on top really would have made the game of the forever that so many people were dreaming of.

It's become abundantly obvious that the AAA space is broken, too much bloat, too many conflicting motives, too much focus on making money over delivering enriching player experiences. It's clear that the engine they've built this game on is not fit for purpose, I just don't understand how someone didn't step in early on in the project and say it's time to start from scratch. They had more than enough time, manpower and resources to be able to do so. There is no innovation in the AAA space, iteration is the only thing that they know how to do, so much so that they were willing to frankenstein the Skyrim/Fallout foundation into whatever the hell this is.

I'm willing to bet that at some indie team/developer will come up with the game that they wished they could make in the next decade.

When I look at games like Star Sector and terra invicta I can't help but think that it's the guys that are behind games like those who deserve a punt in terms of funding (and gamer/press support) to be able to turn those games into something that can be played in first or third person. That's why BG3 has been such a pleasant surprise in terms of the success they've had this year.

You are focusing on one aspect of this game?

Are ypu playing it? Because its a Bethesda game at its core. It pisses on all these games like no man's sky and whatever else for conversation, character rpg and background missions and content. You can't just say it should at least be as good as no mans sky if the budget was used somewhere else.

Let's see where starfield is in a few years. You know, like the abortion of a mess that no man's sky launched in and then spent 8 years turning into what it is today.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You are focusing on one aspect of this game?

No, if you read the thread of conversation I've touched on a number of aspects.

Are ypu playing it? Because its a Bethesda game at its core.

I will, but I'm in no rush to, I can comfortably wait for a sale and some interesting mods (I'll touch on this more later) to become available. Being a "Bethesda game at it's core" is not the boon it once was. In fact, in this day and age it's a con more than it is a pro. The rest of the industry has moved on while they've stood still.

It pisses on all these games like no man's sky and whatever else for conversation, character rpg and background missions and content.

Already stated as such, not disputing that.

You can't just say it should at least be as good as no mans sky if the budget was used somewhere else.

It doesn't take the budget and the time they've had to create the RPG elements that they already have in-house expertise for and excel at.

Let's see where starfield is in a few years. You know, like the abortion of a mess that no man's sky launched in and then spent 8 years turning into what it is today.

Embarrassing. When No man's sky launched how it did and they had a team of ~20 people along with a shoestring budget (in comparison) and to top it all off they created an engine from scratch along with the game that was there at launch in 3 years.

What's Bethesda's excuse? With a $200 million budget for the development alone and 500 staff members, "25 years in the making yada yada ya", this shouldn't even be in the same conversation as NMS in any way, yet here we are.

As is the expectation with all Bethesda RPG's that have gone before, in 8 years time this game will be fixed by modders, not them. That is what being a "Bethesda game at it's core" means in 2023. On a fundamental level, that is wrong. They should just make the game engine open source, provide a roblox-like platform and let the community have at it.

This is a development studio that now gets shown up by the people who create mods for their games on a consistent basis:

That is "Bethesda at it's core".

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yeah, it's a fallout game in space with better writing and missions but you are basically fast travelling around. Flying seems like its for dog fights and looting ships, but you're not just gonna fly through space.

They could build on that side, but I'm just in love with the missions, the conversations, the raiding outposts. Doing missions basically. The flying is fun for me but its not like I'm gonna sit down on my ship and fly for 2 hours.

Which character moment stuck with you the most so far?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I jumped into a planet called paradiso. And there was a ship orbiting the planet that couldn't be contacted.

The fact they modelled a ship with an internal structure the size of what an entire main ship would be for a whole campaign with characters that were incredible. Including the ceo on the planet. The tech guy on the ship. The mission will stick with me until the end. But that's just one of a few already and I don't want to spoil anything.

What's yours?

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Yeah, it's the same dull writing with stale VO directing. And unlike F4, after 30 hours I care about the companions even less. At least F4 had different buddies: stingy journo, smartass android, your zealot BoS brother. And Valentine was our guy Garrett with very decent VO, backstory and reactions. Hell, even Piper was somewhat more fleshed-out than every Constellation NPC from SF. Here you have a cringy take on Interstellar's TARS/CASE, bunch of cardboard humans and that's all. I don't care about them and they don't even try to begin to be interesting.

Side-content (and I'm doing mostly it, because the MSQ is just boring af despite some interesting missions) is okay, I guess, up there with Oblivion. But Witcher 3 it is not. Honestly, CP2077 smashes eveything that Starfield offers in story department. Also a lot of quests are fairly linear with little to no true variety and weight of your descisions.

Just like everything here so far, it's more of a cardbord illusion, than a fully realized part of the game.

The dude who asked me the way to uranus
See that planet? You can probe it.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I jumped into a planet called paradiso. And there was a ship orbiting the planet that couldn't be contacted.

The fact they modelled a ship with an internal structure the size of what an entire main ship would be for a whole campaign with characters that were incredible. Including the ceo on the planet. The tech guy on the ship. The mission will stick with me until the end. But that's just one of a few already and I don't want to spoil anything.

What's yours?

You didn’t describe a character moment and used vague platitudes otherwise.

Haven’t played it yet.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You didn’t describe a character moment and used vague platitudes otherwise.

Haven’t played it yet.

I'm on my phone and do not want to spoil anything for anyone

the girl on the ship and everyone on it are humans that have been travelling to the planet for 200 years. Before the space jump technology was created. They claimed the planet as theirs. She is a great character and so is the technician on the ship. You basically negotiate how they will continue their lives in space. It was an interesting set of characters and plot line I didn't even plan to see. It literally happened.

Tams

They deserve praise. Let's see where starfield is in 8 years to make a fair comparison.

The issue there is that Hello Games got the fundamental systems right at launch. It was mostly just content that was missing (and still somewhat is). Content is relatively easy to create.

Statfield looks to fundamentally be flawed. Hell, they have the time and resources to do an entire rewrite, but they might as well make an entire new game at that point.

No, they knew what kind of game they were making.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The issue there is that Hello Games for the fundamental systems right at launch. It was mostly just content that was missing (and still somewhat is). Content is relatively easy to create.

Statfield looks to fundamentally be flawed. She, they have the time and resources to do an entire rewrite, but they might as well make an entire new game at that point.

They were making a Bethesda game which is exactly what they made.

The issue there is that Hello Games for the fundamental systems right at launch. It was mostly just content that was missing (and still somewhat is). Content is relatively easy to create.

Statfield looks to fundamentally be flawed. She, they have the time and resources to do an entire rewrite, but they might as well make an entire new game at that point.

I have no idea why people think RPG systems and a reactive world are easy to create.

Every other game is open world and mostly mimic Witcher 3 instead of Skyrim. Cause that's what 99% of developers can realistically achieve.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm on my phone and do not want to spoil anything for anyone

the girl on the ship and everyone on it are humans that have been travelling to the planet for 200 years. Before the space jump technology was created. They claimed the planet as theirs. She is a great character and so is the technician on the ship. You basically negotiate how they will continue their lives in space. It was an interesting set of characters and plot line I didn't even plan to see. It literally happened.

Just so that we're all talking about the same thing is this the quest?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No, they sold it as a game of exploration as well.

Only, it's only a Bethesda game.
It has got exploration......

It also has a decent enough space shooting ship combat part for fun dogfights and boarding ships. Fighting in 0G is nuts.

Game is great but no ones focusing on the really positive reviews and that's fine as it doesn't stop my enjoyment of the game. It would be crazy to deny someone's genuine enjoyment of a game because it doesn't work for you. I thought FFXVI was a terrible final fantasy game. I aired my issues from playing it and fully completing it. For those that love it, that's cool.

There's people in here that clearly want the game to be reviewed badly so they are choosing to highlight those reviews like they are right. They haven't even played it. We know why the real reason they are doing it. Microsoft.

Can I board other ships in no man's sky. Negotiate with pirates etc?

Last edited:

BlueLyria

Someone gave it a 4.5? Out of ten? This game?

Wtf....there's going after hits and then there's going after hits. Genius move to get millions of fanboys to check out your review.

Youtube influencers lol
What do you feel is a "fair score" and why does it deserve a higher score than 4.5?
I personally would not attach a score to it right now, just a big not recommended, from my experience the game is just massively broken, I can't even make 5 steps in New Atlantis without a crash. I'm honestly done with it for now, It's more broken than release Cyberpunk and about the same as release New Vegas. So I feel like a 4.5 is a pretty accurate of my experience. If those other games got ragged on by their bugs and performance issues, Starfield also deserves to get ragged on.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What do you feel is a "fair score" and why does it deserve a higher score than 4.5?
I personally would not attach a score to it right now, just a big not recommended, from my experience the game is just massively broken, I can't even make 5 steps in New Atlantis without a crash. I'm honestly done with it for now, It's more broken than release Cyberpunk and about the same as release New Vegas. So I feel like a 4.5 is a pretty accurate of my experience. If those other games got ragged on by their bugs and performance issues, Starfield also deserves to get ragged on.

Unfortunately, there's something wrong with your pc. I'm 18 hours in and no crashes.

I'd currently score it around an 8.5 to a 9 with what I have experienced. But I wouldn't want to score it really as I know I haven't touched anything. I've not even started on the main mission path after picking up Sarah.

The side stuff is better than oblivion and fallout so far. I love those games so take that as you will.

I expected and wanted a Bethesda fallout game in space. That is what I have received, with better shooting and a serviceable space combat mode.

I feel people were expecting something more? And I don't get where they got that from. Bethesda told people you wouldn't be flying to planets etc years ago.

I can't control people having unrealistic expectations and then claiming "Todd lied"

Last edited:

Ogbert

Gold Member
Your PC is broken then.

Not trolling, but have you installed in on a SSD? If not, the game will crash.

Tams

It has got exploration......

It also has a decent enough space shooting ship combat part for fun dogfights and boarding ships. Fighting in 0G is nuts.

Game is great but no ones focusing on the really positive reviews and that's fine as it doesn't stop my enjoyment of the game. It would be crazy to deny someone's genuine enjoyment of a game because it doesn't work for you. I thought FFXVI was a terrible final fantasy game. I aired my issues from playing it and fully completing it. For those that love it, that's cool.

There's people in here that clearly want the game to be reviewed badly so they are choosing to highlight those reviews like they are right. They haven't even played it. We know why the real reason they are doing it. Microsoft.

Can I board other ships in no man's sky. Negotiate with pirates etc?

For Pete's sake!

You can't even fly towards planets, let alone enter their atmosphere and land on them!

In a multimillion dollar space game!

Gudji

Fair comparison? Bethesda is not a small studio like hello games was back then and they have MS money, they spend almost 400 Million dollars to make starfield if the rumors are true.
Stop making excuses, 8 years my ass they either: a) should have designed the game differently; b) should have marketed the game in a different way.

Also it's 2023 get your shit together, if the engine is not capable anymore then built a new one.

They told us over a year ago you wouldn't be doing this, lmao.

You can fly towards the planets but you can't fly down to the surface....
Bullshit, not everyone is following this game closely like fanboys. They continued to lie on the big showcase video that they released this summer making everyone think it would be this epic space RPG, it isn't.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fair comparison? Bethesda is not a small studio like hello games was back then and they have MS money, they spend almost 400 Million dollars to make starfield if the rumors are true.
Stop making excuses, 8 years my ass they either: a) should have designed the game differently; b) should have marketed the game in a different way.

Also it's 2023 get your shit together, if the engine is not capable anymore then built a new one.

You are selectively choosing to ignore the hundreds and hundreds of hours of content and systems offered in starfield that no man's sky could only dream of.

Who do you think made that and where did the budget come from? You guys do not operate in world of reality and its worthless to discuss with you.

You're probably not even playing the game, or ever planned to. The only reason I'm on here is because I'm at the gym.

Last edited:

Gudji

You are selectively choosing to ignore the hundreds and hundreds of hours of content and systems offered in starfield that no man's sky could only dream of.

Who do you think made that and where did the budget come from. You guys do not operate in world of reality and its worthless to discuss with you.

You're probably not even playing the game, or ever planned to. The only reason I'm on here is because I'm at the gym.
Yeah it's definitely worthless to discuss with you because you're a fucking fanboy.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah it's definitely worthless to discuss with you because you're a fucking fanboy.
Lmao, you're the fanboy dude wtf lol

You're literally spending your life shitting on a game you have no interest in and comparing it to a game that is not the same. Claiming others that are actually playing it and enjoying it are fabboys 😆

Go watch Karak Karak S review and see why there is already millions enjoying this game.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
What content? MSQ is 19 quests that last 15 hours with occasional level-gates.

If anything, the game feels so much smaller when you realize that the amount of handmade-content here is more or less on-par with Skyrim, only here everything is divided into the tiny chunks behind the fast-tavel screen instead of a single coherent world. But it's very hard to argue with a fanatic of course.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What content? MSQ is 19 quests that last 15 hours with occasional level-gates.

If anything, the game feels so much smaller when you realize that the amount of handmade-content here is more or less on-par with Skyrim, only here everything is divided into the tiny chunks behind the fast-tavel screen instead of a single coherent world. But it's very hard to argue with a fanatic of course.

I can't answer that question as I have played for almost 20 hours and not done anything. I guess by your logic I'm going to just suddenly run out of content any minute now?

Gudji

Lmao, you're the fanboy dude wtf lol

You're literally spending your life shitting on a game you have no interest in and comparing it to a game that is not the same. Claiming others that are actually playing it and enjoying it are fabboys 😆

Go watch Karak Karak S review and see why there is already millions enjoying this game.
Imagine thinking I'd spent my life shitting on a game. lmao

I've been discussing the game like everyone else, you included. But I get it everything is fine, keep going fanboy continue to kiss ass you love it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Imagine thinking I'd spent my life shitting on a game. lmao

I've been discussing the game like everyone else, you included. But I get it everything is fine, keep going fanboy.

Dude, ignored. You straight weird. Why would anyone listen to someone not playing the game and purposefult shitting on it.

Imagine that. It's like you watched a video review on a film and you are coming here saying anyone that enjoyed that film is a fanboy...and you haven't even watched it.

This is not no man's sky. It is a Bethesda game set in space.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I guess by your logic I'm going to just suddenly run out of content any minute now?
Im 35 hours in and honestly you don't need to waste 100 hours to see some clear patterns like pesonal quests, guilds and repeated outposts. The longest quest so far took me 45 minutes, where 25 were wasted on walking and loading. And I'm hunting for quests, lol.

Outpost building is a pure endgame here from what I can tell and bear no weight whatsoever.

Also this is the first BGS game with very agressive level-gates on content and It's clearly done to artificially stretch those sweet Gamepass subscription days.

Last edited:

Gudji

Dude, ignored. You straight weird. Why would anyone listen to someone not playing the game and purposefult dhitting on it.

Imagine that. It's like you watched a video review on a film and you are coming here saying anyone that enjoyed that film is a fanboy...and you haven't even watched it.

This is not no man's sky. It is a Bethesda game set in space.
I'm not weird I just refuse to accept that they're deceiving people unlike you.

I know it's not NMS but that's not what they sold the game as. And that's a fact.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Bullshit, not everyone is following this game closely like fanboys. They continued to lie on the big showcase video that they released this summer making everyone think it would be this epic space RPG, it isn't.

What did they sell it at that it isn't? Do you have quotes? I watched the showcase and I'm doing everything they said but i will say it does feel as grandiose as I had hoped.

The game is not perfect but it is excellent and what I wanted. Would I not dream for it to be perfect at everything and deliver a game that star citizen hasn't been able to deliver in 10 years and 600 million dollars...of course I would. This is not reality though...
*Don't get yourself banned, don't get yourself banned, don't get yourself banned.*

Holding Back Jim Carrey GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I Don't understand?

Last edited:
I am noticing all the haters have come together and made this thread an echo chamber.

Meanwhile all people playing are on early access thread, where you can read praise/criticism etc.

Having 100 Starfield threads has at least this benefit.

I remember Final Fantasy 16 thread was totally hijacked by haters and fans had to basically do emergency evacuation.

Top Bottom