• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GHG

Gold Member
DenchDeckard DenchDeckard why are you suddenly pretending like the marketing for this game didn't make it seem as if space exploration etc was going to be possible? This was you just last year:

uTiJ44S.jpg

And to top it off here you are slating cut-scenes and side quests despite having just told us that one of your favourite moments with Starfield is a side quest which amounts to nothing more than a series of dialogue cut scenes:

BE55x0w.jpg

What's going on here?

Gudji

You don't waste 35 hours on a game you hate lol. Normal discussion of flaws is not hate. Todd wil recieve his sweet $$$ regardless, he don't need protection, don't try to frame a fairly relaxed duscussion as a 'hater thread'.
This. Fuck bethesda they still gonna bank.

b0uncyfr0

After 5 hours, i can safely say im ready to bow out. I expected a much better game - it just feels extremely disjointed. Like multiple parts have been stitched together that dont mesh. In my opinion, this game was not ready, its barebones. To tout this as one of your finest games, is a bold statement [Todd]. Ive yet to see anything this game does that other tech couldnt do.

My biggest issues are :
The loading screens are annoying, they need to go. Its not 2015 anymore.
The performance is shit for the visuals.
QoL is none existent (Usually a telltale sign the port is shit, heck look at all the 30 fps junk leftover in the PC version)
No space exploration (If they had shown the 'point and click to go to X' system, that'd be a different story. But they didnt)

Ill pick it up in a year or two when its fixed and modders have done their magic. I can finally start CP77 properly.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
It has got exploration......

It also has
Proceeds to spend the majority of the post not providing examples, yet is literally playing the game.

Seriously Dench, most of the post i've seen from you is this blanket defense on every comment someone makes about the game and continually bringing up that they are not playing it, but its not as if you are giving some solid defense to anything being stated.

I'm not saying you are wrong btw, I'm saying spend more time proving your point based on you having the game.

Exploration? Provide an example, show a screen, video etc.

I think the comments regarding the game's questionable or lack of space exploration is valid if you are not actually showing something else is happening during those space travels. So yes, its fair that someone feels it lacks this is all the evidence right now shows flying in a ship is nothing more then a loading screen to another loading screen, it starts to look like an interactive menu.

So outside of dog fights and boarding someone's ship, it seems like there isn't much to explore in space, shit i could be wrong, but you playing the game doesn't mean everyone is wrong about this as its other playing the game that are even showing us footage to support that its not this deep idea regarding exploring.
Dude, ignored. You straight weird. Why would anyone listen to someone not playing the game and purposefult shitting on it.

Shit, I'm not playing the game right now as I opted to wait till its official launch date instead of spending more money for a few extra days.

I think most of the comments I read are valid regarding some of this criticism

Matt_Fox

I'm about 10 hours in and so far I'm finding Starfield an incredibly compelling game. When I'm playing I'm immersed, when I'm not playing I'm thinking about it.

The Bethesda formula of doing 20 minutes quests and improving your character by small but significant increments remains a great gameplay loop.

The graphics and character models are certainly superior to Elder Scrolls and Fallout and although it's too early to say whether this game equals or exceeds them, I am thoroughly enjoying having my imagination fed with such a feast.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Just so that we're all talking about the same thing is this the quest?

Feels like I’m being trolled.

People really want to pass this thing as something that looks great and next level? Fucking hell, it looks bloody awful when these characters are on screen. The voice acting and writing aren’t great but the animation also hurts it really bad.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
I jumped into a planet called paradiso. And there was a ship orbiting the planet that couldn't be contacted.

The fact they modelled a ship with an internal structure the size of what an entire main ship would be for a whole campaign with characters that were incredible. Including the ceo on the planet. The tech guy on the ship. The mission will stick with me until the end. But that's just one of a few already and I don't want to spoil anything.

What's yours?

A better question would be, if this games was not an Xbox exclusive would you be jump all these hoops defending it? 😝

Lokaum D+

This game looks amazing I need to check it out. Can I get out the ship when it lands and explore those bases etc in first or third person?
no, this is a loot and shoot game, i just use as exemple for dog fighting and space exploration.

if you wanna go down and really explore u can play NMS or Elite Dangerous

this is what gets me mad, look at Elite Dangerous, the feel of exploration, the size and scale. WHY a multi bilion dollar company cant pull something like this ll aways amazes me and how can ppl defend said company knowing that small studios are doing way way better ( i agree that bethesda RPG elements are good, but everything else is disappointing imo )

There is no loading screen and feels amazing, how can anyone prefers a loading screen over this in a space game ?

Last edited:
You are selectively choosing to ignore the hundreds and hundreds of hours of content and systems offered in starfield that no man's sky could only dream of.

Who do you think made that and where did the budget come from? You guys do not operate in world of reality and its worthless to discuss with you.

You're probably not even playing the game, or ever planned to. The only reason I'm on here is because I'm at the gym.
holy shit lmao

Gideon

There's no way this game cost $400 million to make man, it's full of procedurally generated bullshit trash, dull npc's, above average graphics, inferior exploration compared to indie games with not even 1% of the budget, art direction is great tho and the cities look amazing but man this game is just generic af with a bethesda logo slapped on it (imo)

GHG

Gold Member

People really want to pass this thing as something that looks great and next level? Fucking hell, it looks bloody awful when these characters are on screen. The voice acting and writing aren’t great but the animation also hurts it really bad.

Honestly all this "YoU hAvEn't PlAyEd It" crap along with the continuous blatant lies about what the game does and doesn't contain is just gaslighting at this stage. Or maybe it's just some elaborate attempt to get people to pay extra in order to get early access via non-refundable means. At this point I don't even know what to think anymore because the words being written are not matching up with what our eyes can see.

Shit, I'm not playing the game right now as I opted to wait till its official launch date instead of spending more money for a few extra days.

That's the thing, the game isn't even out yet. Literally every man and their dog will have the ability to try this out via gamepass/xcloud once the actual release date comes around. It's like, enough with the bullshit.

I'm about 10 hours in and so far I'm finding Starfield an incredibly compelling game. When I'm playing I'm immersed, when I'm not playing I'm thinking about it.

The Bethesda formula of doing 20 minutes quests and improving your character by small but significant increments remains a great gameplay loop.

The graphics and character models are certainly superior to Elder Scrolls and Fallout and although it's too early to say whether this game equals or exceeds them, I am thoroughly enjoying having my imagination fed with such a feast.
Near 20 hours here but yes agreed, enjoying it more so far than Skyrim or Fallout 4, game's big as hell, trying not to stack too many side quests to not get too saturated, and mixing doing some Story, Faction and Side quests right now, also working around my ship, tried to create one myself but that didn't end up well.

Game's a mix of a Bethesda game, Mass Effect and maybe Deus Ex since a good amount of quests can be done with different ways.

NMS comparisons are pointless since this game has almost nothing of what NMS does, by the way i had absolutely no clue that game was so famous and loved here,

So far Vanguard quests are top tier, got some Jurassic Park deja vu on the first one :messenger_fearful:, and the second one was pretty awesome too

buenoblue

So I wont be playing till the 6th and I currently have a 5600x and 2070 super. Performance doesn't look great in this setup so I'm thinking of upgrading to a 4070. Anyone playing on a 4070? And is the game worth upgrading for lol? Is it good? I'll be playing on an OLED with gsync btw

GHG

Gold Member
Bingo! Sadly for MS it's on torrents w/o any DRM.

Well I don't at all advocate piracy for games that are still available via purchasable means so that shouldn't be an option for anyone.

Most rational people should be able to have enough patience to wait for it to become available via gamepass, or if you must play it now then do so directly via Steam where you'll have a much better chance of getting a refund regardless of hours played during the early access period should you deem it hot garbage.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Well I don't at all advocate piracy for games that are still available via purchasable means so that shouldn't be an option for anyone.
My point is, everyone has a chance to check the expectations now without shelling the $100 (buyers remorse is helluva drug), nothing more.

Fabieter

Dude, ignored. You straight weird. Why would anyone listen to someone not playing the game and purposefult shitting on it.

Imagine that. It's like you watched a video review on a film and you are coming here saying anyone that enjoyed that film is a fanboy...and you haven't even watched it.

This is not no man's sky. It is a Bethesda game set in space.

I highly agree, all fanbases should stop shitting on games they don't even plan on playing. To some degree discussion is okay if you don't played it but it should only go so far.

Ogbert

Gold Member
What’s surprised me is that they’ve done the stuff I wouldn’t expect them to do well (gunplay, movement) really well, and the stuff that should be amazing (exploration) poorly.

In the 20 or so hours I’ve played there have been some incredible moments, but as many frustrations.

It’s a huge slice of Bethesda. In five years it will be incredible.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not sure what the refund policy is for Microsoft at this point as what a friend is going through right now makes me question preordering too early.

Long story short his PC died during the initial cave quest and he ordered a new one that wont arrive until this upcoming week

He only upgraded his gamepass edition to the premium to play early so he put in a refund request and has been denied twice now with the message "You've exceeded the allowable refund period for digital game purchases" and was told by one the escalated chat person it was because he has "owned" the game longer than the allotted 14 days

Like he said the damn game came out that night he requested the refund and this escalated person said the system would not let them override it

He was given a link to appeal once again that would push it further up the chain and I asked him today if he heard anything new and his reply was simply "FUCK MICROSOFT"

So not sure if he has heard something or not, I didn't ask :)
Got a text this morning from my buddy and they refunded him overnight with the standard "We are sorry the game didn't work out for you" email so him pushing worked.

I guess morale of this story is not preorder until a few days before release then preload the game as their system can not tell the difference thinking you already own the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did you pick Alien DNA trait durning character creation? It has some influence on how much O² you have and maybe it is bugged right now.

Likely a bug, or someone using cheat engine. I don't think that's Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 capturing the game himself, if I'm not wrong.

I posted a video above showing it doesn't happen like that.

Got a text this morning from my buddy and they refunded him overnight with the standard "We are sorry the game didn't work out for you" email so him pushing worked.

I guess morale of this story is not preorder until a few days before release then preload the game as their system can not tell the difference thinking you already own the game.

Yeah, it's time and amount played based, when you get to the refund page you can see if someone you bought recently is eligible for it or not.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
From the pre-release videos, etc. I honestly thought this is a solid 7/10 game but after playing it for the past 3 days I will have to bump it up to at least 8/10. It’s a great game.

There are some major flaws like not having ground vehicles and not being able to manually take off and land, but overall this game has enormous depth and it’s very satisfying to play, which is usually a very good sign.

Play it, see for yourself, don’t listen to anyone.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Seems like a rare glitch, just captured this to show it isn't like that for me.

lol shit, thats even worse.

When you have a game with so many bugs, we are not even aware if its a design choice or a bug....something is really wrong.

Fabieter

From the pre-release videos, etc. I honestly thought this is a solid 7/10 game but after playing it for the past 3 days I will have to bump it up to at least 8/10. It’s a great game.

There are some major flaws like not having ground vehicles and not being able to manually take off and land, but overall this game has enormous depth and it’s very satisfying to play, which is usually a very good sign.

I will give it a try once I played enough bg3. I played almost nothing else in August and still have not enough, but I can see why people are passing for now when they were on the fence before the reviews.

Ogbert

Gold Member

It’s a huge slice of Bethesda, warts and all.

They’re a developer that just chucks everything on the table and you sort it out yourself.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
I will give it a try once I played enough bg3. I played almost nothing else in August and still have not enough, but I can see why people are passing for now when they were on the fence before the reviews.

BG3 is amazing so you are definitely playing a special game already.. I should've finished BG3 first because now this pulled me away from it.

Stuart360

The more i think about it, the more i think a 87/88 MC score is actually spot on.

Skyrim got a 95?, and is near perfection to me, and my fave game of all time.
Fallout 4 got a 84, and i also think is a great game, but has numerous flaws, and some design choices that didnt click with everyone (base building one of the big ones for me).

Starfield, imo, is a better Bethesda RPG than Fallout 4, but does have some flaws and design choices that not everyone likes (fuck the overly complicated menu screens!).
So for me if you look at the scores for Fallout 4 and Skyrim, a score falling right in the middle of them is what i think is correct.

This still will probably be my game of the generation, at least in gameplay time anyway. No one does these kind of games like Bethesda.

Thyuda

I'm experiencing the same, I can hardly believe how badly the animation is, especially coming from BG3, the facial animations in Starfield look atrocious.

DaGwaphics

To be fair to him, adamsapple adamsapple only jumped in at this point. My original discussion was with DaGwaphics DaGwaphics . We were discussing flight controls and interplanetary / space exploration. His argument was that Starfield is a game grounded in realism, which is why there is no seamless space exploration like No Man's Sky.

I do not agree with this point, as there is plenty of stupid stuff (like the ones I shared) in the game that isn't grounded in realism at all.

The simplest explanation is the right one here: Bethesda couldn't figure out how to do seamless interplanetary and space exploration so they cut corners and barely taped together a fast-travel system so they can release the game.

It's almost like fantasy stories can have varied levels of realism. You can go with mostly realism, with specific fantasy elements or full on otherworldly. The model for space that they are working from leans heavily towards realism, outside of the functional space bending. But, they had to pick a poison there otherwise when you traveled from one star to another it wouldn't be your character arriving there but a descendant far down the line. LOL I guess stasis would have been an option like Alien, but then everyone you met on the planet cities is dead when you reach the other one. But, besides that the isolation, the emptiness, the scale of the celestial bodies in comparison to the player/ships is all very realistic. With these building blocks in place they either gamify space travel entirely and lose any connection to science or you create a very tedious, boring travel mechanic. They seem to have just decided to skip most of it, which is actually realistic with this "space bending" ship. They can basically set a coordinate and appear right there, though I guess they could have made the menu a computer screen in the ship and then played a bit of an animation to keep the immersion going. With this travel capability available, what pilot would be slowly flying between planets under manual control? (from the perspective of a fictional pilot in this world that has access to this space bending technology).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Proceeds to spend the majority of the post not providing examples, yet is literally playing the game.

Seriously Dench, most of the post i've seen from you is this blanket defense on every comment someone makes about the game and continually bringing up that they are not playing it, but its not as if you are giving some solid defense to anything being stated.

I'm not saying you are wrong btw, I'm saying spend more time proving your point based on you having the game.

Exploration? Provide an example, show a screen, video etc.

I think the comments regarding the game's questionable or lack of space exploration is valid if you are not actually showing something else is happening during those space travels. So yes, its fair that someone feels it lacks this is all the evidence right now shows flying in a ship is nothing more then a loading screen to another loading screen, it starts to look like an interactive menu.

So outside of dog fights and boarding someone's ship, it seems like there isn't much to explore in space, shit i could be wrong, but you playing the game doesn't mean everyone is wrong about this as its other playing the game that are even showing us footage to support that its not this deep idea regarding exploring.

Great Post. Thanks for responding with a reasonable take. I'm jumping back in now but a quick response is im jumping to systems and cool stuff is happening. I don't really know what else to say. If ypu have played a Bethesda game, it is playing out like their others for exploration and random events.

I had a random ship just land on the planet I was on a few hundred metres from me landing and it was cool as fuck. Broke into their ship and looted it. Explored some caves that had cool loot in there.
A better question would be, if this games was not an Xbox exclusive would you be jump all these hoops defending it? 😝

Absolutely. Outer worlds, fallout, skyrim. All Bethesda games would get my defence as I enjoy them. They awnt perfect but I just love chilling out for hours and poking at them, finding cool stuff.
no, this is a loot and shoot game, i just use as exemple for dog fighting and space exploration.

if you wanna go down and really explore u can play NMS or Elite Dangerous Odyssey

this is what gets me mad, look at Elite Dangerous, the feel of exploration, the size and scale. WHY cant a multi bilion dollar company cant pull something like this ll aways amazes me and how can ppl defend said company knowing that small studios are doing way way better ( i agree that bethesda RPG elements are good, but everything else is disappointing imo )

There is no loading screen and feels amazing, how can anyone prefers a loading screen over this in a space game ?

Defdo buying this game. Looks great. I love dogfights and this looks a lot better than what we have in starfield. Thanks for posting.

Matt_Fox

It's almost like fantasy stories can have varied levels of realism. You can go with mostly realism, with specific fantasy elements or full on otherworldly. The model for space that they are working from leans heavily towards realism, outside of the functional space bending. But, they had to pick a poison there otherwise when you traveled from one star to another it wouldn't be your character arriving there but a descendant far down the line. LOL I guess stasis would have been an option like Alien, but then everyone you met on the planet cities is dead when you reach the other one. But, besides that the isolation, the emptiness the scale of the celestial bodies in comparison to the player/ships is all very realistic. With these building blocks in place they either gamify space travel entirely and lose any connection to science or you create a very tedious, boring travel mechanic. They seem to have just decided to skip most of it, which is actually realistic with this "space bending" ship. They can basically set a coordinate and appear right there, though I guess they could have made the menu a computer screen in the ship and then played a bit of an animation to keep the immersion going. With this travel capability available, what pilot would be slowly flying between planets under manual control?

Yes, this is a pretty good explanation.

Maybe when you travel to the next planet they could have faded through black and had a "TWO DAYS LATER" title card (or a TWELVE WEEKS LATER for long journey), to add to the immersion? That might have also made some of the time dependent missions feel a bit more meaty too.

I suspect the space travel element will be something that mods will seek to make more immersive, but as you say - setting course to a distant destination and then sitting twiddling your thumbs for 20 minutes isnt something players are going to enjoy.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
There's no way this game cost $400 million to make man, it's full of procedurally generated bullshit trash, dull npc's, above average graphics, inferior exploration compared to indie games with not even 1% of the budget, art direction is great tho and the cities look amazing but man this game is just generic af with a bethesda logo slapped on it (imo)
Are you playing it or watching it? Big difference.

Why does it seem like gamers are looking for any clinks in the armor to try and trash this game? Just fricken' weird.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Still getting my grasp on the systems and exploration but having a great time doing so. I'll be playing this game for years,

DaGwaphics

Why does it seem like gamers are looking for any clinks in the armor to try and trash this game? Just fricken' weird.

I think you know why. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This still will probably be my game of the generation, at least in gameplay time anyway. No one does these kind of games like Bethesda.

That's true. I don't think any of the big Bethesda games have been viewed at launch in a way that lines up with how much they are played and the sustained popularity throughout a generation and beyond. But the same can be said for games like GTA V and the most popular multi-players as well. You can knock them in a lot of ways, but ultimately they have more impact than almost anything else released, the hours logged in these games is certainly a testament to that as is the longevity. Maybe Starfield has a legacy like this, maybe it doesn't, only time will tell.

Fabieter

BG3 is amazing so you are definitely playing a special game already.. I should've finished BG3 first because now this pulled me away from it.

It's always like this with too many big games to play haha. I still have like five games preordered so I don't know when I actually make it to Starfield, but hopefully mod support is there by then.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

Unfortunately, there's something wrong with your pc. I'm 18 hours in and no crashes.

I'd currently score it around an 8.5 to a 9 with what I have experienced. But I wouldn't want to score it really as I know I haven't touched anything. I've not even started on the main mission path after picking up Sarah.

The side stuff is better than oblivion and fallout so far. I love those games so take that as you will.

I expected and wanted a Bethesda fallout game in space. That is what I have received, with better shooting and a serviceable space combat mode.

I feel people were expecting something more? And I don't get where they got that from. Bethesda told people you wouldn't be flying to planets etc years ago.

I can't control people having unrealistic expectations and then claiming "Todd lied"
I'm happy for you if you're part of the group of people that had good luck with this game.
It absolutely isn't my PC, I've been PC gaming for over a decade, I would be able to tell you if it is or isn't. I've updated my drivers, I've done all possible workarounds, and it still crashes.
Armored Core VI is a better looking game, and that runs properly without crashing. (Don't even bother arguing about the Scope of Starfield, By all accounts there's only a single map ever loaded in just like any other Creation Engine game). Their engine simply can't handle what they wanted to output.
In my searches for a fix, I've seen people with beastly rigs crashing, people with subpar machines that are below minimum spec crashing but also subpar machines not crashing at all.
I want to blame either BGS or AMD, since all of my crashes seem to be related to Shading (Starfield has a crash log in AppData/Local/Starfield), but considering this is the only game that does this, It's on BGS to fix their game.
Your PC is broken then.

Not trolling, but have you installed in on a SSD? If not, the game will crash.
SSD, yeah.

with all that said, BGS just made a great advertisement for NMS imo, which is why I decided to pick that up today.

Top Bottom