• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mephisto40

I like you as a poster but the majority of the people posting against this game have either not played it or given it like a few hours and said its shit.
You can't just throw baseless accusations around like that and not expect people to come back at you

I've put 50 hours into the game, I still think it's a 7/10, it under delivers on so many levels, and has a ton of issues

That doesn't mean I think it's a bad game, it's just not amazing

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You can't just throw baseless accusations around like that and not expect people to come back at you

I've put 50 hours into the game, I still think it's a 7/10, it under delivers on so many levels, and has a ton of issues

That doesn't mean I think it's a bad game, it's just not amazing

Fair play, then we just disagree. I hope you are at least enjoying your time with it. :)

Bernoulli

M2 slut
this reviewer played 70 hours and said you need to play at least 15 hours before getting out of the boring part, idk if i can force my self that long anyone else can confirm it takes that long or less?
he says the game is fun for those that like BSGgames, when you finish and unlock everything after 50hours

Mephisto40

this reviewer played 70 hours and said you need to play at least 15 hours before getting out of the boring part, idk if i can force my self that long anyone else can confirm it takes that long or less?
he says the game is fun for those that like BSGgames, when you finish and unlock everything after 50hours

It does take about 15 hours for the story to turn into something other than constant fetch quests

Brigandier

Put 8 hours in yesterday and I thought it was a bit boring tbh, I just felt the game was a bit flat and it is very dated visually and mechanically, I don't understand how this is 30fps on XSX it's not good looking at all.

I'm going to keep going for a little longer but I don't think I'm gonna finish this, That's a first for a Bethesda game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
wot? There were threads aplenty here - it had it's own direct/segment at Microsoft's "E3" show, posters here were claiming it was going to be game of the generation, it was going to be the "starting gun" for Microsoft etc etc - you would have to be wilfully ignorant to claim that this game hasn't been hyped to hell and back. Any reasonable ("I think it will be good/great but not genre defining") were shot down by the zealots. The hype for this was massive
And growing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Who overhyped starfield? I keep hearing this from the usual suspects but I don’t remember anyone overhyping the game.

ku9G0YQ.jpg

VRlFyPu.jpg

3czVGO7.jpg

OKH7siI.jpg

xPwqzmt.jpg

https://www.gamesreviews.com/xbox-s...eries-x-news/08/starfield-review-predictions/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-hype-around-starfield-is-massive-and-growing.1659914/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/are-you-more-hyped-for-starfield-or-spider-man-2.1659483/

To answer your question: everyone. From journalists to reviewers to gamers to GAF members. Above is a few evidences of that.

There was a general consensus and sentiment that Starfield would be a 90+ genre-defining must-play game that would help Xbox compete with PlayStation.

Last edited:

Montauk

You can count the number of people who find flying to Pluto in a video game in seven hours as "riveting gameplay", on two hands.

That type of stuff is Flight Simulator Syndrome, i.e absolute diehard enthusiasts (astronomy/hard sci-fi people in this case) will love it but it doesn't translate at all to the vast majority as being interesting. Not without a lot of style and human element in presentation & storytelling, which Flight Sim doesn't do (and Starfield seems to also not accomplish).

Lots of people just clearly don’t understand game design. This isn’t compelling, it doesn’t represent good gameplay.

They just want something to complain about so they can pretend the game is a disaster.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

Reminds me of a lot of reviews about Day's Gone.

The game doesn't sound like a great gamepass fit.

Montauk

The problem people have is that it's not an actual realized space. You cannot actually fly to a planet. When you do, it's just an image you fly through. There is nothing beyond the small number of assets loaded into a generated space. It is not No Man's Sky or Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous. Which was what was being hyped. It's a series of loading screens.

It wasn’t marketed as any of those things by Bethesda.

It was *imagined* to be some (impossible) combination of them by many gamers, though.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I've never placed anyone on ignore, aside from pure trolling I just think it's largely a cop out to overlook arguments and statements you don't like.

That being said, I'm not going to give much credence to some of the absolute gaslighting happening in this thread as Starfield crashes down to earth.

Almost feels like a microcosm of all things Xbox as fans stay in denial and have been in major denial for years now. Starfield was going to be a multiplatform game and there was a sense that it could have seen success across platforms, but as not even a major pillar, but the sole pillar of an entire platform? It was never going to be that and people were cautioned against making that claim.

Starfield WAS billed as the next major platform franchise, honestly I don't know that it'll even get a sequel at this rate, DLC for sure, but a sequel? If this game performs poorly revenue-wise, it's going to have major repercussions for Bethesda as a company. Microsoft will double down, but there is going to be immense pressure on Elder's Scrolls 6, but being tied to the Xbox platform and to gamepass at this point exclusively is a death sentance for a game and a studio.

Microsoft can only absorb the costs within GamePass for so long and what we'll see is layoffs as a result.

Gaelyon

To answer your question: everyone. From journalists to reviewers to gamers to GAF members. Above is a few evidences of that.

There was a general consensus and sentiment that Starfield would be a 90+ genre-defining must-play game that would help Xbox compete with PlayStation.
Except Phil Spencer though.

Kilau

So 8pm EDT us non premium peasants can judge for ourselves? I don’t think it will take me long to tell if it’s Skyrim magic or fallout4 doodootrash.

Lokaum D+

After putting more 10 hours into the game ( had to give it a break after 20 hours ) i ll say this, for everyone that have not played the game and has the expectation that this game is a great space game.

This is Bethesda in space and that can be divided as the following:

40% bethesda diologue style RPG ( Static NPCs talking and responding to your choices )
30% walking, fetching, gunning, "exploring?"
20% menu ( counting all the loading screens as menu )
10% dog-fighting

if you are here for dog-fighting expirience STOP, go play Everspace 2
if you are here for space exploration STOP, go play Elite Dangerous or No Man Sky.

Someone already said this, Starfield is Outer Worlds but bigger and that's it.

Last edited:
After putting more 10 hours into the game ( had to give it a break after 20 hours ) i ll say this, for everyone that have not played the game and has the expectation that this game is a great space game, STOP.

This is a Bethesda in space and thatscan be divided as the following:

50% bethesda diologue style RPG ( Static NPCs talking and responding to your choices )
30% walking, fetching, gunning, "exploring"
10% menu
10% dog-fighting

if you are here for dog-fighting expirience STOP
if you are here for space exploration STOP

Someone already said this, Starfield is Outer Space but bigger and that's it.
STOP 🛑

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Except Phil Spencer though.

Phil knew what Starfield was and he knew it over a year ago. He sought to soften the blow of less than "epic" reviews. Even then you had xbox fans deflect. I think after these reviews have come out and the likelihood of disappointing sales and performance that it's getting harder and harder to deflect and everyone knows it.

No one is talking about Forza because they know Forza isn't going to move the needle. No game currently slated for Microsoft for the rest of the generation no franchise... is going to move the needle.

I think that's really bad for the industry as a whole because the likely discussion in October is that even with Starfield the PS5 still outsold the Xbox Series in the US and the same will be true in November about October.

I think the Baldur's Gate fiasco is going to do more damage than Starfield though, because anyone would be silly to buy a Series S today and think it will receive full support for the rest of the generation.

Phil isn't doing enough to change the narrative and his interview in the Spring kind of showed us all that he isn't interested in changing the narrative at this point.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
er. People were calling it GOTY before it was even released.
Gaf was full of...
"The over hype for Starfield is raging and throbbing."
"The unprecedented scale of the sCopium!"
Threads.

I remember the one “ starfield hype is growing “ but that’s it and I don’t think it was overhype.
I don’t remember any posts from that thread actually overhyping it.

Not every post being excited is overhype.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
After playing it for around 5 hours, I’m extremely disappointed and very surprised at the high scores. Ign and gamespot had it right.

Everything about the game is mid. It is lacking that Bethesda magic. The exploration part of hey if you see that mountain you can go there is all but gone. Now you explore via menus. There is no stumbling into anything because of the way the game is designed. Then there is the combat which simply isn’t fun like fallout 4. It’s so basic. Every encounter is the same.

i will continue playing but this is not the Bethesda game i wanted. This is a disjointed mess of a game i expected from a much lesser studio.

J3nga

After playing it for around 5 hours, I’m extremely disappointed and very surprised at the high scores. Ign and gamespot had it right.

Everything about the game is mid. It is lacking that Bethesda magic. The exploration part of hey if you see that mountain you can go there is all but gone. Now you explore via menus. There is no stumbling into anything because of the way the game is designed. Then there is the combat which simply isn’t fun like fallout 4. It’s so basic. Every encounter is the same.

i will continue playing but this is not the Bethesda game i wanted. This is a disjointed mess of a game i expected from a much lesser studio.
Also after playing CP 2077 where Vi is fully voiced, has natural reactions in the dialogues, playing here as a John Doe/Mary Sue does not help me get more immersed whatsoever, Fallout 4 had voiced protagonist just stupid dialogues, here just random nobody running around doing chores for other characters.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Who overhyped starfield? I keep hearing this from the usual suspects but I don’t remember anyone overhyping the game.
I remember the one “ starfield hype is growing “ but that’s it and I don’t think it was overhype.
I don’t remember any posts from that thread actually overhyping it.

Not every post being excited is overhype.

giphy.gif

ku9G0YQ.jpg

VRlFyPu.jpg

3czVGO7.jpg

OKH7siI.jpg

xPwqzmt.jpg

https://www.gamesreviews.com/xbox-s...eries-x-news/08/starfield-review-predictions/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-hype-around-starfield-is-massive-and-growing.1659914/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/are-you-more-hyped-for-starfield-or-spider-man-2.1659483/

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Stick with it, bro. I hope it clicks for you. Me upto 6 hours was like, "this feels sterile" wheres the Bethesday magic? What happened? Are the reviews right. After hours I am like "this is their best game easily, and is 100% Todd's magnum opus"

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
People are calling Spider-Man 2 Goty man, I mean to be fair they look like this:
Insomniac's games were never GOTY material but always were quality 85+ titles wich is perfectly reflected in their respective scores. With stellar tech under the hood too. Nobody is selling SM2 like a 90+ meta savior of the platform too. We pretty much know what to expect. It is also worth noting that the whole Insomniac worth SIE less the 1 Starfield and in 7 years released 4 great games for the platform.

Also, as s PC guy, I laugh at the mental gymnastics here. No everyone who didn't loved Starfield to death is a sony-pony. I'm on Act 2 in my personal GOTY so far (BG3) and yes, I have other PC releases to compare ot Starfield unfavorably.

Last edited:

TheHolyGhost

Neo Member
How is the IGN review on Metacritic on both the Xbox and PC version? That has never happened before, it's usually in just one category.

whyman

Nah I had fun from the start. 3-5 jours in I was totally hooked. But it’s still very much a Bethesda game. Good and bad.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I like you as a poster but the majority of the people posting against this game have either not played it or given it like a few hours and said its shit.

It's fine for games not being for people. Just say its not for you and move on. Now if you've completed it, and I mean how do you complete this game in even 60 hours?
Then if you want to discuss why you think its shit. Cool. Or if you dropped it 6 hours in because you thought it was shit its fine for me to drop a lol emoji and move on. I don't like final fantasy xvi. I barraged my annoyance of how poor and shallow I think it is then forgot about it.
Look I like the developers games but what I cannot do is disregard something this obvious when it comes to logical and rational problems.

I cannot make anyone like this developer's games as much as I do but I also cannot disregard what they're telling me if I recognize this is a fault myself.... Looking at all the bugs and glitches we might see it as hilarious because we might overlook it but I see no reason to make it sound like the people who are having a horrible time with this game's problems must have not played it or something...

I don't even think it's enough to say it's not for you so move on

The people who are playing the game were making these comments let me remind you they paid more money than normal because if they're making these comments now which because they paid extra, They deserve a functional game without all these bugs and they deserve a real answer regarding the space exploration that seems extremely locking based on how we know the base definition of that term to even mean.

I'm not saying for you not to enjoy the game, I'm going to enjoy it myself based on what I like from this developer, but I cannot disregard what I've already seen regarding this game as it starts to become a little bit nonsensical.

smh, saddest part about this whole fucking thing imho.

When I saw a review saying this, it hurt to hear cause I don't really care much if the game isn't some revolunary title or something, but the base of what I expected was the classic Bethesda formula and it sounds like even that shit isn't there.

To not even meet Fallout 4 standards is sad and maybe they need this type of attention to patch, update and put out some fixes, DLC to address all of this. At the very least giving something to occur in space outside of just space battles and looting the ships you beat.

Releasing after BG3 is showing that there really isn't an excuse for the older team at Bethesda to have this type of issue in this game, in a game Bethesda themselves called Skyrim in space, when its becoming more clear that the game simply isn't that.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
er. People were calling it GOTY before it was even released.
ku9G0YQ.jpg

VRlFyPu.jpg

3czVGO7.jpg

OKH7siI.jpg

xPwqzmt.jpg

Its amazing how yet again some ppl just forget all the previous discourse when a game (or console) doesn't live up to expectations.

So an 88 is a bad score now ????
Its like this...if 88 is fine for game X, it should be fine for game Y. Ppl shoulda just kept their expectations in check. All I know is the more I saw and the more was revealed about the game....it looked like it would be lucky to get 90. Mid 80's seemed more than reasonable, logical. High 80's is damn good.

I think as a new IP high 80's is really good, regardless of the studio/dev involved.

Is it really bad or ate ps fanboys and xbox haters just giving bad scores for the hell of it. It looks great.
Its not that deep....dont be that person. There are enough ppl being that person as is.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Stick with it, bro. I hope it clicks for you. Me upto 6 hours was like, "this feels sterile" wheres the Bethesday magic? What happened? Are the reviews right. After hours I am like "this is their best game easily, and is 100% Todd's magnum opus"

What's with the constant lies? These were all of your first impressions:

OK, I played up to the character designer. Now I gotta decide my character and background but first work.

It looks amazing and I can't wait.

So all games have to have a big bombastic opening like an action movie.....riiiiight?

I personally have loved the slow approach to how it starts....Each to their own I guess. Anyway, going back in :)

This game is legit everything I dreamed of.

My gripes so far. Lots of little loading screens. Im on a beast of a PC so I only get like 2 rotations of the circle in the bottom corner but I cant imagine what this game would have been like on the old aged mechanical hard drives.
I am having comedy bugs. Ive been playing for like 8 hours straight and im still on the first planet with constellation. People keep floating in the air, I should have captured it.

But what the fuck is this game man, my mind is blown. Theres so many people to talk to, or they just stop you and you get quests from them. It's nuts.

Overall the game is exactly what I wanted, and the more hours I put in the better its getting. Ive not even done the second main mission yet. I'm going to get onto that tomorrow....Once ive dropped Donna her coffee off.

I honestly feel like im going to sink into this games pace and its going to be everything I dreamed of. I spent like 30 minutes in the space combat sim, while basic its still exactly what I wanted from Destiny all those years ago. I never understood why they didnt put a simple space combat mode in it. I like managing the systems. Nothing crazy, just great.

I will be the space rogue I imagined.

At not one point did you post here and state it was "sterile" or questioning the "Bethesda magic".

why you always lying GIF

Top Bottom