• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Karak

I think it's insane if a game that averages under an 85 can't be considered for a goty candidate. That whole ideology is just petty and warped imo.
Oh its a game of the year candidate for sure. Even if I didn't fall in love with it personally, I already know some who vote and have a say in that stuff who for sure think it is in the list and very high.
If we are talking about the idiotic game of the year awards. If we are talking about something more exciting and meaningful like for gamers themselves, it's also in many people's lists. For websites and journalists same.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I feel like in any other given year, Starfield could be in conversation for being a serious GOTY contender sure. But there's been at least a couple of other games this year that are clearly in another league of Starfield's, in terms of quality and pushing the envelope.

SRTtoZ

Does anyone know if I'm playing on Series X and switch to the PC version on PC Game Pass, will the achievements transfer between the two? I don't want to fuck up my achievements by switching platforms back and forth.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does anyone know if I'm playing on Series X and switch to the PC version on PC Game Pass, will the achievements transfer between the two? I don't want to fuck up my achievements by switching platforms back and forth.

For games like that, in 99% cases, you have the same achievement pool on both versions. So it shouldn't be an issue.

Raven117

I feel like in any other given year, Starfield could be in conversation for being a serious GOTY contender sure. But there's been at least a couple of other games this year that are clearly in another league of Starfield's, in terms of quality and pushing the envelope.
I think this plays a part for sure. There has been so much good stuff out there.

SRTtoZ

I have been stabbed in the back in real life before. I am always prepared lol.
As for the game. Glad folks are liking it. And those that aren't you also have an amazing 2023 behind you and amazing games coming.
2023 is just legit for titles.
Hey, watched your review and loved it. Was wondering if you had any issues with the HDR in this game? Like did it bother you that much that it's broken?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
F5Kh5euXkAAzjQ3

@'ing Hulst and Barlog is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
After a few completed faction quest I'll bump my personal score to 8.0. The game is actively trying to turn you off, but there is some good content here and the shooting is better than expected when you actually gain access to better guns.

That being said, defenders should stop pinning the blame onto players for inflated expectations. Todd and Pete were deliveratly coy with PR about space, xeploration and god knows how many other features. It is also your typical Bethesda title in terms of bugs, I see nothing more polished here after 60 hours. In fact, the main draw and the main problem here that this is just a Bethesda game, they didn't even try to shake the formula just a little.

I've made peace with many limitations and broken promises and actually enjoying it, but Starfield is a game of a rough first impression, I can tell you that. I expect that quite a lot of people will be turned off by the first 10-20 hours when the $100 buyers remorse won't play it's hand.

In most years, I'd agree. But 2023 is stacked and it has almost 3 months before the cutoff just for TGA. Enough time for a few more big games and surprises to drop. Look at the games released this year. Zelda. Baldur's Gate. Resident Evil. Street Fighter. Sea of Stars. Hi-Fi Rush. Dead Space. Diablo. Pikmin. Final Fantasy. Armored Core. Octopath Traveler. Jedi Survivor. Hogwart's Legacy. Then you have Alan Wake, Mortal Kombat, Spider-Man, Mario, and Assassin's Creed. All of which are expected to do well. Sure, some of those games are remakes and fighting games. Which don't typically get nominated. But even minus those, the year is nuts.

It's not that an 85 or less disqualifies it automatically. It's that this year has so many contenders and big deals that a game scoring in that range makes it much less likely that critics will put it up for GOTY over the other possible entries. Nomination slots are typically limited. Last year, TGA allowed 6 entries, for example. What would be the likelihood that critics would nominate it for one of the other 4 spots, since Zelda and Baldur's Gate are clear frontrunners? As well, taking your stance, that should also mean that even if Starfield settles at an 87 or 88, it shouldn't get an automatic nod over something like Armored Core or Hogwart's Legacy, right?

Again, the reality is that this year just has too many big hitters to be comfortable in declaring that Starfield would definitely be nominated for GOTY. Let's be honest. If the game scores an 85 in this year, of all years, and still gets a nomination over other possible entrants, you know as well as I do that people will suspect it only got it because there was too much hype behind it and it did just well enough. To avoid backlash from snubbing the game.

Big ooooofs. Makes the complaints over Spider-Man's water seem like a joke by comparison.
Indeed. This year has already blown me away with the number of quality titles. The debates going on after the picks are made will be all over the place and very interesting, I should think.
Oh its a game of the year candidate for sure. Even if I didn't fall in love with it personally, I already know some who vote and have a say in that stuff who for sure think it is in the list and very high.
If we are talking about the idiotic game of the year awards. If we are talking about something more exciting and meaningful like for gamers themselves, it's also in many people's lists. For websites and journalists same.
With how many games you play each year, that has me pretty excited to play it.

I also tend to think of my party members in Bethesda games as walking backpacks more so than fellow travelers, while the banter quality varies with the individual, I'm hoping the dialog in that respect is a bit more sophisticated and engaging than in previous titles. The back stories of some have kept me anticipating more, while others were just a disappointing bit of nothing.

ZehDon

In most years, I'd agree. But 2023 is stacked and it has almost 3 months before the cutoff just for TGA. Enough time for a few more big games and surprises to drop. Look at the games released this year. Zelda. Baldur's Gate. Resident Evil. Street Fighter. Sea of Stars. Hi-Fi Rush. Dead Space. Diablo. Pikmin. Final Fantasy. Armored Core. Octopath Traveler. Jedi Survivor. Hogwart's Legacy. Then you have Alan Wake, Mortal Kombat, Spider-Man, Mario, and Assassin's Creed. All of which are expected to do well. Sure, some of those games are remakes and fighting games. Which don't typically get nominated. But even minus those, the year is nuts.

It's not that an 85 or less disqualifies it automatically. It's that this year has so many contenders and big deals that a game scoring in that range makes it much less likely that critics will put it up for GOTY over the other possible entries...
I think this is a pretty solid take, all things considered. 2023 is fucked - Dead Space was excellent, Sons of the Forest was excellent, REmake4 was mostly excellent, Boltgun was excellent, System Shock was excellent, Diablo 4 was excellent, Remnant 2 was excellent, Baldur's Gate 3 was excellent, Sea of Stars was excellent. Any other year, I could see any one of these as my GOTY. And we're only in September - Starfield launches tomorrow, but then we've got Forza, Lord of the Fallen, Alone in the Dark, and MGS Collection next month. And there's still Super Mario RPG and Avatar after that. Can Starfield stand up in what is going to arguably be one of the best ever years for gaming?

phaedrus

I've tried to get into the game 3 or 4 times over the years but the combat is so bad.

It helps to know that ME1's combat is based on D&D-style stat checks & dice rolls, same as KOTOR & other older Bioware RPGs.
That's why the combat in these games might feel clunky/ innacurate. (personally, I still enjoyed ME1 & KOTOR combat)

They overhauled it in ME2 into more "modern" shooting mechanics, which ME3 improved upon.

The good news is the ME Legendary Edition made tweaks to "improve" ME1 combat (don't read beyond the "Combat Tuning" section if you still want to go in fresh):

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Freshly. Baked. LIES! I have played Star Citizen! It is real! Believe the hype! Millions of people parted with $600 million for an alpha can't be wrong! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But, yes. At the end of the day, Bethesda didn't say "This is our Star Citizen or No Man's Sky". However, comments like "you can go to that Moon" created certain ideas. Dwellers on this very forum made comments comparing them in that way. For and against. Frequent discourse on the net was how robust the space exploration must be. At least being adequate. Regardless of who started it, little effort was put into dispelling it. It's not just fanboys being fanboys. Even @HeisenbergFX4 was surprised how very limited space flight was. Alanah Pearce did her video showing how limited it was despite an apparent expectation. This was widespread and believed by people in all circles of the industry.

At the end of the day, it's not even close to what Skyrim was for gaming in 2011. It's not the GOTG like some spouted. It's very unlikely to even win GOTY at this point. In a year stacked with great games, it just doesn't stand our for being anything special. It's standing out more for its criticisms, like tons of loading screens, and coming up short of its hype.

I think, for a shit load of real game playing public you need to accept that this game is amazing. Not some big website reviewer who critical pathed the game to get it out for review day. Or some youtuber who wants 100s of thousands of hits for ad revenue. People actually playing the game at their own pace and not forced to a deadline as a "job"

I've already seen people make full moon bases.

Explore crazy shit in the galaxy that no one else has seen.

I've had insane side quests.

For me. This game pisses on all that other Hollywood mellowdramatic bullshit we have been fed for the last few years and its Bethesdas best game ever made EASILLY for me. That's all I wanted.

It's a Bethesda ass Bethesda game warts and all. I've had enemies fly through the air when I've shot them. Npcs wobble around like they are having a fit.

Some take off in the air.

But then I've met Juno...and other insane random shit that I've stumbled across that other games could only dream of doing.

You need to accept that reviewers have varying tastes. A lot of them are younger than me and grew up with their bias. They arent infallible. They are human. It doesn't make the negative reviews right and it doesn't make my praise of it right either, but it's right for me and you will have to deal with millions agreeing with me. No matter how much you wish it wasn't true.

You will see how this goes in the future. Game is going to be huge.

Last edited:
It seems like the user reaction is almost universally positive. I might go out and buy an Xbox this week. Idk. On the fence. What you guys think?
I'd definitely recommend giving it a go on the cloud before buying hardware specifically for this game. It's a good game, but not one I'd go and buy a console for. At least not in the 6 hours I've managed to get in.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Word by word trial only matters for huge studios like Hello Games with their massive 3 years development cycle and maybe even tens of devs around (until the Next expansion, then it got good ;)). This is where you look at the BROKEN PROMISES! Forget about next generation only first party exclusive games harnessing little to none of the massive streaming I/O advancements this generation with a very segmented world (even DF in their latest direct said that Bethesda was trying to make the game appear far far more seamless than it actually is).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Word by word trial only matters for huge studios like Hello Games with their massive 3 years development cycle and maybe even tens of devs around (until the Next expansion, then it got good ;)). This is where you look at the BROKEN PROMISES! Forget about next generation only first party exclusive games harnessing little to none of the massive streaming I/O advancements this generation with a very segmented world (even DF in their latest direct said that Bethesda was trying to make the game appear far far more seamless than it actually is).

You guys keep mentioning no man's sky....

There is so many responses to this post but ....
Elaine Benes Fainting GIF by HULU

But, I've got starfield to play anyway...you'll see how it plays out. I feel confident on this one.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
A 7/10 review (or any score really) does not mean stop covering the game. One has nothing to do with the other.
Yeah, that is not what I said, I watched their cover some of the things they are criticizing in the reviews they are also praising in the cover
both their scores reflect the game

with all the fake promises this should be at 6 tbh but it got higher because it was made by BGS and the hype
You chose to get hyped, no one forced you, every studio hypes their games no one downplays it you are more than welcome to not get hyped ever.
It's almost as if their reviews were disingenuous.....
mr. garrison dress GIF by South Park

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah, that is not what I said, I watched their cover some of the things they are criticizing in the reviews they are also praising in the cover

Did you know these outlets are made up of more than one individual?

The hypemen content creators are often not the same people that end up doing the reviews.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
You're playing this game. Deep down you know it's not a 7/10. Anyone actually playing it for a considerable amount of time knows it.
Exactly.

Did you know these outlets are made up of more than one individual?

The hypemen content creators are often not the same people that end up doing the reviews.
Which is why I said "IGN's cover contradicts their review" I didn't say an individual's name, they gave a game 7/10 knowing full well it deserves way more, and they also have to cover it for clicks for the next month sounds about right?

GHG

Gold Member
Which is why I said "IGN's cover contradicts their review" I didn't say an individual's name, they gave a game 7/10 knowing full well it deserves way more, and they also have to cover it for clicks for the next month sounds about right?

They?

It was one person who reviewed the game. And no, he didn't feel it deserved more, he's made that abundantly clear since.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
yeah it should be 6/10

when playing it's like i'm forcing my self but i'm only at the start

It has a slow start. I feel people set themselves up for false hype that I personally didn't see Bethesda do to the game.

Looks like you've already made a decision if you are willing to score a game a 6 at the start of what could be hundreds of hours of plahthrough.

Do you like Bethesda games?

Last edited:

foamdino

I'm looking forward to playing this tomorrow, but from everything I've seen/read etc. This is simply not as good as Skyrim and a *long way off* Morrowind. Right now (with no first hand experience), it looks like the serendipity of stumbling upon something cool and wasting 2+ hours down a random rabbit hole has been removed with the lack of a contiguous world.

That feeling of wonder as you stumble across things - that was what made Bethesda games special to me. The systems were dumbed down repeatedly since Morrowind, but at least they kept this single thing - now in Starfield it seems that has gone. I said before release it looked like a solid game but nothing special, but as a Bethesda fan I'd play it anyway. I still will play it, but right now I can understand this being a 7/10 (or even a 6/10) for some people. It's certainly not going to eclipse BG3 for me for GOTY.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
you need to accept that this game is amazing.
You need to accept that reviewers have varying tastes
and then
A lot of them are younger than me and grew up with their bias
You're playing this game. Deep down you know it's not a 7/10.
Do you like Bethesda games?

smh, maybe you should take your own advice with this shit many and accept that people have different opinions about this game.

It literally sounds like no one is fucking allowed to have any opinion on this

GymWolf

Gold Member
Apologies if this review has been posted already, but I found it funny. He starts out relatively calm, then gradually loses his shit. I've come to trust him over the years. He says the game is "absolutely soulless" and lacks immersion. Combine that with lack of rewarding exploration, and I'm out. It just doesn't have what I value in a Bethesda game.

Lack of rewarding exploration is completely false.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
and then

smh, maybe you should take your own advice with this shit many and accept that people have different opinions about this game.

It literally sounds like no one is fucking allowed to have any opinion on this

I like you as a poster but the majority of the people posting against this game have either not played it or given it like a few hours and said its shit.

It's fine for games not being for people. Just say its not for you and move on. Now if you've completed it, and I mean how do you complete this game in even 60 hours?
Then if you want to discuss why you think its shit. Cool. Or if you dropped it 6 hours in because you thought it was shit its fine for me to drop a lol emoji and move on. I don't like final fantasy xvi. I barraged my annoyance of how poor and shallow I think it is then forgot about it.

Last edited:

Varteras

I think, for a shit load of real game playing public you need to accept that this game is amazing. Not some big website reviewer who critical pathed the game to get it out for review day. Or some youtuber who wants 100s of thousands of hits for ad revenue. People actually playing the game at their own pace and not forced to a deadline as a "job"

I've already seen people make full moon bases.

Explore crazy shit in the galaxy that no one else has seen.

I've had insane side quests.

For me. This game pisses on all that other Hollywood mellowdramatic bullshit we have been fed for the last few years and its Bethesdas best game ever made EASILLY for me. That's all I wanted.

It's a Bethesda ass Bethesda game warts and all. I've had enemies fly through the air when I've shot them. Npcs wobble around like they are having a fit.

Some take off in the air.

But then I've met Juno...and other insane random shit that I've stumbled across that other games could only dream of doing.

You need to accept that reviewers have varying tastes. A lot of them are younger than me and grew up with their bias. They arent infallible. They are human. It doesn't make the negative reviews right and it doesn't make my praise of it right either, but it's right for me and you will have to deal with millions agreeing with me. No matter how much you wish it wasn't true.

You will see how this goes in the future. Game is going to be huge.
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

FunkMiller

It would have been better if this game had either been a ToTK style masterpiece, or a Redfall style shitshow, because the solid 8/10 it actually is makes nobody happy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

foamdino

wot? There were threads aplenty here - it had it's own direct/segment at Microsoft's "E3" show, posters here were claiming it was going to be game of the generation, it was going to be the "starting gun" for Microsoft etc etc - you would have to be wilfully ignorant to claim that this game hasn't been hyped to hell and back. Any reasonable ("I think it will be good/great but not genre defining") were shot down by the zealots. The hype for this was massive

Last edited:
Top Bottom