• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I think, for a shit load of real game playing public you need to accept that this game is amazing. Not some big website reviewer who critical pathed the game to get it out for review day. Or some youtuber who wants 100s of thousands of hits for ad revenue. People actually playing the game at their own pace and not forced to a deadline as a "job"

I've already seen people make full moon bases.

Explore crazy shit in the galaxy that no one else has seen.

I've had insane side quests.

For me. This game pisses on all that other Hollywood mellowdramatic bullshit we have been fed for the last few years and its Bethesdas best game ever made EASILLY for me. That's all I wanted.

It's a Bethesda ass Bethesda game warts and all. I've had enemies fly through the air when I've shot them. Npcs wobble around like they are having a fit.

Some take off in the air.

But then I've met Juno...and other insane random shit that I've stumbled across that other games could only dream of doing.

You need to accept that reviewers have varying tastes. A lot of them are younger than me and grew up with their bias. They arent infallible. They are human. It doesn't make the negative reviews right and it doesn't make my praise of it right either, but it's right for me and you will have to deal with millions agreeing with me. No matter how much you wish it wasn't true.

You will see how this goes in the future. Game is going to be huge.
for the public the game is a joke, you can see by yourself in the comments of most videos, everyone is mad / disappointed how the game turned out to be
there of course some players and bethesda hardcore fans that love it

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Its soo cute seeing people now trying to shift that Starfield wasnt a hyped as the 2nd coming of jesus or something
Starfield was by far and away my most hyped game in a very long time and there are some super disappointing aspects of it for me

Its currently sitting at what an 86? Seems about right

But I still see myself coming back to this game over and over again because there is so much I want to do

I think I have said it on these forums before, give modders a few months with this game and this game is in fact going to be on the Mount Rushmore of games FOR ME

FOR ME

Let me repeat FOR ME

El Sueño

It's on Xbox. They hype a lot, I still remember how crackdown with the infinite power of the cloud was going to have destructable cities or something like that; the most powerful console; explore the universe, unparallel experience bla bla bla. On the other side Sony and Nintendo work silently and secretly and when they are ready they drop the bombs. They don't talk, the games do the talking. Xbox is the typical character in anime that talks a lot and does not shine; Nintendo and Sony are the silent and powerful ones.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Is it really bad or ate ps fanboys and xbox haters just giving bad scores for the hell of it. It looks great.

The PC only outlets are the ones giving this lower scores.

Funny what can happen when you have gone into reviewing Starfield off the back of BG3 which is a legitimate GOTY/game of the forever contender and you don't give a shit about propping up a console platform.

It's been hilarious witnessing the worth a buy youtube channel getting spammed with comments claiming he's a "Sony pony" or words to that effect.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, that is not what I said, I watched their cover some of the things they are criticizing in the reviews they are also praising in the cover

And that's also not what you said. Again, coverage does not have to mirror the review. A review is one guy's opinion. Where did you get the idea everyone at IGN has to agree?

Chronicle

The PC only outlets are the ones giving this lower scores.

Funny what can happen when you have gone into reviewing Starfield off the back of BG3 which is a legitimate GOTY/game of the forever contender and you don't give a shit about propping up a console platform.

It's been hilarious witnessing the worth a buy youtube channel getting spammed with comments claiming he's a "Sony pony" or words to that effect.
Yeah I'm getting bg3. It will help soothe the loss.

Reactions: GHG

Humdinger

Lack of rewarding exploration is completely false.

I'm speaking of the thousand planets, not the few handcrafted locations. I'm referring to the rewarding sense of exploration you found in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 -- head out in any direction in an open world, discover something fascinating. That seems to be absent here, apart from the few hand-crafted locations.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Starfield was by far and away my most hyped game in a very long time and there are some super disappointing aspects of it for me

Its currently sitting at what an 86? Seems about right

But I still see myself coming back to this game over and over again because there is so much I want to do

I think I have said it on these forums before, give modders a few months with this game and this game is in fact going to be on the Mount Rushmore of games FOR ME

FOR ME

Let me repeat FOR ME

Topher

Gold Member
I have 200 hours in ER playing it twice and its still a 7.5 game. Just because you enjoy the games combat for example, does not mean the rest is just as good.

Personally I think the game overall has turned out to be really great. But you are are right in that doesn't mean I have to ignore the game's flaws which I have been vocal about and I stand by what I've said. I will say that the game has improved vastly the more I play and the positives are greatly outpacing the negatives. The one glaring thing that nags at me the most, however, is ship combat. Just a missed opportunity there by not including the full range of movement for a spacecraft.

kaizenkko

ku9G0YQ.jpg

VRlFyPu.jpg

3czVGO7.jpg

OKH7siI.jpg

xPwqzmt.jpg

https://www.gamesreviews.com/xbox-s...eries-x-news/08/starfield-review-predictions/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-hype-around-starfield-is-massive-and-growing.1659914/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/are-you-more-hyped-for-starfield-or-spider-man-2.1659483/

To answer your question: everyone. From journalists to reviewers to gamers to GAF members. Above is a few evidences of that.

There was a general consensus and sentiment that Starfield would be a 90+ genre-defining must-play game that would help Xbox compete with PlayStation.

Starfield was the last chance for Xbox. Besides Forza, what more can they offer? And Sony still will release their best titles...

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You think elden ring is a 7.5?

Woah, you have high standards...if you don't mind me asking....what would you rate your Mrs....?

Do you rate games based only on one aspect? That kinda sucks for you my guy. I rate games on 4 things. Story, gameplay, audio, technical. ER from a story and technical pov is pretty fucking bad. Sure, art style, level design for half the game is great, but everything else is is not good, which means, math-wise, the great score for it gameplay will be impacted by the rest. Simple as that. High standards has nothing to do with it and if you think ER is some form of Jesus, then you're probably just a casual as ER does absolutely nothing new compared to Dark Souls games like literally and factually NOTHING new, except for the fact that its levels are placed in an open environment and you have a horse. Bosses are copy pasted and rehashed from previous games, weapons, sounds, even the story is the fucking same as Dark Souls 3, just replace ring with fire.

Rant off.

Personally I think the game overall has turned out to be really great. But you are are right in that doesn't mean I have to ignore the game's flaws which I have been vocal about and I stand by what I've said. I will say that the game has improved vastly the more I play and the positives are greatly outpacing the negatives. The one glaring thing that nags at me the most, however, is ship combat. Just a missed opportunity there by not including the full range of movement for a spacecraft.

If Starfield is great gameplay-wise and maybe story-wise lets say both 8, the technical side of it being utter shit, like say a 5, will impact its overall score.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
ku9G0YQ.jpg

VRlFyPu.jpg

3czVGO7.jpg

OKH7siI.jpg

xPwqzmt.jpg

https://www.gamesreviews.com/xbox-s...eries-x-news/08/starfield-review-predictions/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-hype-around-starfield-is-massive-and-growing.1659914/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/are-you-more-hyped-for-starfield-or-spider-man-2.1659483/

To answer your question: everyone. From journalists to reviewers to gamers to GAF members. Above is a few evidences of that.

There was a general consensus and sentiment that Starfield would be a 90+ genre-defining must-play game that would help Xbox compete with PlayStation.

The metacritic poll said it would hit an 89.4 yet it hit an 88 on pc.....seems pretty close.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Its soo cute seeing people now trying to shift that Starfield wasnt a hyped as the 2nd coming of jesus or something

It's as easy as looking at the review predictions in this very thread alone to see that you're wrong, and that the game has landed literally exactly where the majority anticipated it would.

49.8% of voters here believed that the game would review in the 80%-90% range.

46.1% of voters here believed that the game would review in the 90%-100% range.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
for the public the game is a joke, you can see by yourself in the comments of most videos, everyone is mad / disappointed how the game turned out to be

No, not "everyone". There are plenty of positive Starfield reviews. That's why the game is at 86 which is a great score. There are also plenty of positive YouTube reviews.

If Starfield is great gameplay-wise and maybe story-wise lets say both 8, the technical side of it being utter shit, like say a 5, will impact its overall score.

I'd say the technical side is definitely not as good as the gameplay and story, yes. I'm not ready to put a numbered score on either, but I agree with you in principle.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The metacritic poll said it would hit an 89.4 yet it hit an 88 on pc.....seems pretty close.
It is fairly close. But I'd also count the Xbox version which is on 86 now -- which is also very close to 89.4, to be fair.

However, a lot of these reviews came from curated outlets. More reviews will come in -- which may or may bring the score down further (like it did from 87 to 86). It's still a good score though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Do you rate games based only on one aspect? That kinda sucks for you my guy. I rate games on 4 things. Story, gameplay, audio, technical. ER from a story and technical pov is pretty fucking bad. Sure, art style, level design for half the game is great, but everything else is is not good, which means, math-wise, the great score for it gameplay will be impacted by the rest. Simple as that. High standards has nothing to do with it and if you think ER is some form of Jesus, then you're probably just a casual as ER does absolutely nothing new compared to Dark Souls games like literally and factually NOTHING new, except for the fact that its levels are placed in an open environment and you have a horse. Bosses are copy pasted and rehashed from previous games, weapons, sounds, even the story is the fucking same as Dark Souls 3, just replace ring with fire.

Rant off.

I just rank a game on how it makes me feel and my enjoyment. Switch is my favourite platform outside of PC. Technical comes into play as long as it plays solid, decent consistent framerate.

Elden ring ran amazing on my pc but I have a g sync monitor so I never saw any issues. The sense of exploration and wonder made the game a game of all time for me.

I don't sit their and look at something thinking is this technically ticking these boxes for me. I'm just lost in the moment if a games amazing. Something starfield and elden ring did for me. I'm so lost in playing and I can't stop thinking about them after I've finished playing.

I find if I'm sat there thinking what the duck am I doing .....then a game has failed. Say ffxvi, stupid atreus sections in ragnarok.

That's just me though.

Last edited:

fallingdove

I think, for a shit load of real game playing public you need to accept that this game is amazing. Not some big website reviewer who critical pathed the game to get it out for review day. Or some youtuber who wants 100s of thousands of hits for ad revenue. People actually playing the game at their own pace and not forced to a deadline as a "job"

I've already seen people make full moon bases.

Explore crazy shit in the galaxy that no one else has seen.

I've had insane side quests.

For me. This game pisses on all that other Hollywood mellowdramatic bullshit we have been fed for the last few years and its Bethesdas best game ever made EASILLY for me. That's all I wanted.

It's a Bethesda ass Bethesda game warts and all. I've had enemies fly through the air when I've shot them. Npcs wobble around like they are having a fit.

Some take off in the air.

But then I've met Juno...and other insane random shit that I've stumbled across that other games could only dream of doing.

You need to accept that reviewers have varying tastes. A lot of them are younger than me and grew up with their bias. They arent infallible. They are human. It doesn't make the negative reviews right and it doesn't make my praise of it right either, but it's right for me and you will have to deal with millions agreeing with me. No matter how much you wish it wasn't true.

You will see how this goes in the future. Game is going to be huge.
Not like you are biased at all.

The fact that you continue to claim FFXVI is a bad game while praising Starfield goes to show how wildly unreliable reviews are.

While I am very early in Starfield, I have fallen asleep twice while playing. From the gunplay to the animations, to the environments, to the story, to the voice acting, to the music. Nothing I have encountered is best in class, many of these elements are sub par with what we have seen in the past few years.

So you do you, but the pennies you throw aren’t worth any more than IGNs, and this game isn’t some hidden gem that people are overlooking — it’s far from perfect.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
but I agree with you in principle.

Thank you.
I just rank a game on how it makes me feel and my enjoyment. Switch is my favourite platform outside of PC. Technical comes into play as long as it plays solid, decent consistent framerate.

Elden ring ran amazing on my pc but I have a g sync monitor so I never saw any issues. The sense of exploration and wonder made the game a game of all time for me.

I don't sit their and look at something thinking is this technically ticking these boxes for me. I'm just lost in the moment if a games amazing. Something starfield and elden ring did for me. I'm so lost in playing and I can't stop thinking about them after I've finished playing.

I find if I'm sat there thinking what the duck am I doing .....then a game has failed. Say ffxvi, stupid atreus sections in ragnarok.

That's just me though.

I simply cannot ignore a games flaws, bugs, technical stuff, audio issues, etc just because I love its gameplay. I loved Cyberpunk 2077, its one of my favorites but I didnt ignore the lies, the bugs, the issues even on PC. Anyone who rates games 10/10 and say its perfect i consider them fanboys automatically and I will not take their opinion as valuable. Not saying they should rate things like I do, its their life, their choice, but out of principle I cant as nothing is perfect and if we call everything PERFECT/AMAZING, then future games will suffer. It's why I am against critics, because in the past 15? years or so they have been extremely overrating a lot of games giving 10 like its nothing, ignoring any issues and any performance problems. Fuck them.

Being critical, not just games, is part of life. Yes that includes your wife and your kids and your parent, neither of them are perfect. Kids cant grow to become great adults if they are not criticized for their stupid actions.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
No, not "everyone". There are plenty of positive Starfield reviews. That's why the game is at 86 which is a great score. There are also plenty of positive YouTube reviews.

I'd say the technical side is definitely not as good as the gameplay and story, yes. I'm not ready to put a numbered score on either, but I agree with you in principle.

it's not about positive or negative reviews, it's about what we were sold/lied about before the reviews

and now there are people and reviewers defending the bad parts of the game or justifing by saying it's normal for a bethesda game

if you enjoyed past games by them you will like this one too, it's just Skyrim Fallout in space without space exploration

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm speaking of the thousand planets, not the few handcrafted locations. I'm referring to the rewarding sense of exploration you found in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 -- head out in any direction in an open world, discover something fascinating. That seems to be absent here, apart from the few hand-crafted locations.
I understand what you say, but it's also not completely true.

When you have point of interest in a planet you have no idea about what it is, you land close to it and then you have to walk a bit to reach it, so you have the whole walking toward a point of interest, slowing starting to see it getting bigger and bigger the more you get close etc, that random content can be bland and repeated, or can be something cool like a relict of ship or an abandoned mine or some event with npcs or whatever and let's be honest, every game has some bland and repeated content, even stuff like latest zelda and ER (i will say they have both more than "some" repeated content).

People with better english could explain my point better but you have to settle with my explanation.

It feels less natural and cohesive than just walking around because you see a point of interest in a menu before landing and doing the walking toward the objective experience, but when you actually land the experience is similar to exploring points of interest in skyrim.

If people were expecting to have 1000 skyrim maps to explore exactly like they do in skyrim then it's their fault, the deep dive clearly said that exploration was different from their previous game and more tuned to a big scope, and even thinking of having 1000 skyrim maps (or bigger) full of non-repeated content was moronic to say the least, rdr2 was in development for 9 years with a bigger budget and it has some repetition aswell.

You still have the big ass city to fully explore like a skyrim, but the point of interest when you are in space are menu based, they made a compromise.

They clearly lied on some aspects of the game, but i was expecting this type of moment to moment exploration when they said that during the deep dive.

I'm very critical with some aspects of the game but exploration is not one of them, it still feels good to enter a random dungeon and get out with sidequests, cool weapons and armours etc., It is way more rewarding than exploring the past 2 zelda games just because loot is not breakable and writing\art design\graphic\quests are way better and many people think those games have rewarding exploration, so...

Inb4 people getting mad, i'm still scoring this bitch a (full scale scoring) 7 for now, so calm your sweet tits.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So an 88 is a bad score now ????
86 is not a bad score.

The problem is that the Xbox fanbase hyped it as the Game of the Generation. Now this same fanbase is complaining about reviewers giving the game a low score because they're anti-Xbox.

I'm trying to ignore this game and keeps showing up on my timeline.

But people from this community want to convince you that it's one of the best exclusives ever created.

People have the live with the consequences after they overhyped this game.

Last edited:

jm89

Gamespot review was done across pc and xbox aswell similar to IGN.

But they haven't added there score to the PC pool in metacritic yet.

Phil needs to start making some calls, that can't be allowed to happen.

Last edited:
86 is not a bad score.

The problem is that the Xbox fanbase hyped it as the Game of the Generation. Now this same fanbase is complaining about reviewers giving the game a low score because they're anti-Xbox.

But people from this community want to convince you that it's one of the best exclusives ever created.

lmao, people have completely lost their minds. I knew this thread was going to be amazing.

Topher

Gold Member
it's not about positive or negative reviews, it's about what we were sold/lied about before the reviews

and now there are people and reviewers defending the bad parts of the game or justifing by saying it's normal for a bethesda game

if you enjoyed past games by them you will like this one too, it's just Skyrim Fallout in space without space exploration

Fair enough. I'm not going to argue the hype vs result angle because I honestly can't say that the two meet. What I can argue is that the game is much better than some of the extreme negative reviews suggest. But of course that's just throwing my opinion on top of the thousands of others. It is what it is.

Chechack

It's as easy as looking at the review predictions in this very thread alone to see that you're wrong, and that the game has landed literally exactly where the majority anticipated it would.

49.8% of voters here believed that the game would review in the 80%-90% range.

46.1% of voters here believed that the game would review in the 90%-100% range.
"Im wrong"

"Here"

Sure

I can literally post tons of gaming articles Pre Starfield launch,twitter influencer on the gaming scene,even the vid of random people they interviewed in "NYC" to show you examples of how this game was overhyped more than it should be but im too lazy but u can scroll up to see an example from people in twitter space 🤷🏻‍♂️

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't take this personally please anyone, but am I out of line for thinking that these supposedly huge space games seem to attract crazy people?

Seems like there's always a super-angry contingent when they come out, more so than most other types of game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Honest to goodness? I'm not saying that Starfield is getting reviewed unfairly, I think it's getting reviewed fairly. However, I think some games from a few developers are getting inflated scores. Xbox games meta scores tend to reflect the quality of them whereas those others get massively high scores and when you actually play their games, you realize they're closer to an 8 than a 9.5.

graywolf323

you can really tell how disappointed Asmongold is with the game

I caved and picked it up from Fanatical with the 17% off and also ~6% cashback from TopCashBack, played a lil over the holiday weekend but I was busy with other stuff so I haven’t gotten very far yet, it seems to be running okay(ish) on the Steam Deck

How long till Philly boy runs to Sony to try to cut some of the expensive damage they put into this game?

Microsoft made a big mistake making this exclusive. They could have easily sold about 4 million copies on PlayStation and took 60% of the profits and got back some of that 500m they spent on it.

Anyway, this game had to be a big win for Microsoft. It had all the hype in the world, and it won't even be close to a game-of-the-year contender. Seen a lot of refunds and I've seen a lot of people complain it's kinda boring.

86 is not a bad score.

Senju? Who here would have expected a different opinion? 😂

Top Bottom