• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanic

graywolf323 said:
surprised still no weekend deal

also the mid-week deals are still live more than 2 hours after they were supposed to end

Hm? Weekend deal shouldn't go up for another ~15.5 hours?

Also, I have an extra $20 that I would like to use for some games. I would prefer some kind of pack that I could get for that price or less, but i'm not sure. I was looking at the Jedi Knight pack, can't decide if I want to go with that or not. Any other recommendations? I like pretty much anything outside of racing/sports, and most puzzle games.

graywolf323

Narag said:
You're a day early.

...why the hell did I think it was Thursday?

jav6Z.gif

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Really interested in some Jamestown impressions. Looks great, but ... Western shmups. Not exactly a great track record, there.

I installed black ops for the free play weekend but never played it. Now the game is gone from my games list but when I scan my C drive I can still see CODBLOPS taking up 8.2gbs of space. How do reclaim this space if the game isn't showing up in my library?

darthbob

ninjavanish said:
I installed black ops for the free play weekend but never played it. Now the game is gone from my games list but when I scan my C drive I can still see CODBLOPS taking up 8.2gbs of space. How do reclaim this space if the game isn't showing up in my library?

Delete it from /steamapps/

vocab

ninjavanish said:

Delete it.

Joe Molotov

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Really interested in some Jamestown impressions. Looks great, but ... Western shmups. Not exactly a great track record, there.

I thought it was really good, but my opinion's not worth much when it comes to shumps, unless someone is looking for the opinion of a person who hasn't played one since Ikaruga on the GameCube.

Echoplx

New client beta out

Features
- Initial client side support for upcoming improved content delivery system (groundwork for future performance/reliability improvements to downloads)
- Added “copy link” option to web browser right click menu
- Added suggested friends from Facebook display in client, if you’ve linked with Facebook
- Added the ability to push screenshots to Facebook after upload

Bug Fixes
- Improved responsiveness of loading web pages in the client and in-game overlay browser
- Fixed a bug confusing cached HEAD request response with GET requests in Steamworks HTTP interface
- Improved fallback to different servers if first client connection attempt is to a down server
- Fixed a bug not immediately logging off on shutdown in some cases, leaving your state online until a timeout period was passed
- Improved line breaking/wrapping for most Asian languages
- Fixed a rare crash on shutdown in the browser control
- Fixed the store and community sometimes using English in the overlay instead obeying the user's language setting
- Improved Japanese font rendering on the Store and Community for users on Windows Vista or later
- The Steam client now detects if you’re not logged into the Steam Community or Store web pages, and automatically re-authenticates

Salsa

welp i cant play Modern Warfare 2 online. Matchmaking puts me in games where i just have 2 bars of connection (the fuck is this, give me ping).

Apparently there's a workaround to get a server browser going but im afraid i could get my Steam account banned.

Fuck this. I hope the Co-op missions are worth the purchase, sigh.

- The Steam client now detects if you’re not logged into the Steam Community or Store web pages, and automatically re-authenticates

FUCKIN FINALLY

this was a pain in the ass. It kept loggin me out.

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
Some day perhaps they'll add an option to search through web pages, maybe using a crazy key combination like Ctrl-F.

So true. Probably my most wanted Steam feature at this point, along with sortable friend's lists.

SalsaShark said:
welp i cant play Modern Warfare 2 online. Matchmaking puts me in games where i just have 2 bars of connection (the fuck is this, give me ping).
Welcome to the new age of PC gaming.
SalsaShark said:
FUCKIN FINALLY
Wow, i never expected this to be fixed.

Salsa

The_Player said:
Welcome to the new age of PC gaming.

I was aware that it was bad, but still. I also thought the server browser workaround wasnt considered as "cheating", but yeah, apparently they fuck you over. Wasnt expecting VAC either, thought it was gonna be PB, so i dont wanna risk my entire Steam account :/

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
VAC in Call of Duty only effects Call of Duty games. VAC bans on engine type. Like a L4D VAC ban is seperate from a CS:S/TF2 Ban

Nabs

SalsaShark said:

Apparently there's a workaround to get a server browser going but im afraid i could get my Steam account banned.

Fuck this. I hope the Co-op missions are worth the purchase, sigh.

FUCKIN FINALLY

Tried to warn ya.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SalsaShark said:

The game is doing you a favour. :p

Salsa

Drkirby said:
VAC in Call of Duty only effects Call of Duty games. VAC bans on engine type. Like a L4D VAC ban is seperate from a CS:S/TF2 Ban

hm, i see

well, who knows.. gonna do some research about it i guess

Nabs said:
Tried to warn ya.

Heh, i know. I should have read more about the server browser alternative beforehand

still though, i mainly got it to go through the co-op missions with a friend, that should be fun

SalsaShark said:
I was aware that it was bad, but still. I also thought the server browser workaround wasnt considered as "cheating", but yeah, apparently they fuck you over. Wasnt expecting VAC either, thought it was gonna be PB, so i dont wanna risk my entire Steam account :/
I say, you can make it without risk losing you account. Search for alterIWnet, it really works.

Nabs

SalsaShark said:
hm, i see

well, who knows.. gonna do some research about it i guess

Heh, i know. I should have read more about the server browser alternative beforehand

still though, i mainly got it to go through the co-op missions with a friend, that should be fun
spec ops is a lot of fun with a friend. worth the price.

and you don't want a vac ban on your account. it'll make your community page look like shit.

Zimbardo

Drkirby said:
Isn't that a referral code?

yeah its a referral code which gets you 15% extra off the game.

if you buy the game, there's a pretty good chance that you can register the serial key that you get with Origin.

Dead Space 2 that i bought off Steam also registered on Origin. lots of EA cd keys can register on Origin.

Angst

A question regarding regional pricing:

I live in Norway and prices on Steam are pretty steep. When I'm at work I have a UK IP-address. Can I buy stuff using my account at UK and get UK prices, then download the games at home? Or will I breach some kind of ToS?

Angst said:

I live in Norway and prices on Steam are pretty steep. When I'm at work I have a UK IP-address. Can I buy stuff using my account at UK and get UK prices, then download the games at home? Or will I breach some kind of ToS?
That's a great question. I'd really wish to hear answer on it.

Oreoleo

SmokyDave said:
Wow. I just bought the shit out of that. I bought that so hard, the lady at paypal sat back in her chair and said "daaaaaamn". Then she called some co-workers over to look at the transaction and they were all like "Shit, this guy just bought the hell out of something!".

Impossible to not hear this as Chris Tucker from Friday.

coopolon

Huh, Modern Warfare 2 is actually 19.99 on D2D as well. Since it is a Steamworks title it registers on Steam, and you can use one of the many 15% off codes posted in this thread already to get it a little bit cheaper than Steam is offering it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Played Jamestown a little yesterday (literally only a minute or two) and I thought the mouse control scheme was god awful. It's like the mouse moves a target that your ship then flies to instead of 1:1 movement.

I'm assuming keyboard controls better, but I didn't feel like trying it since I was going to sleep.

TheExodu5

Banned
Monroeski said:
Played Jamestown a little yesterday (literally only a minute or two) and I thought the mouse control scheme was god awful.

Set the second mouse option to 1. If it's on, it dampens mouse movement.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
Set the second mouse option to 1. If it's on, it dampens mouse movement.
I'll give it a shot when I get home, as I mentioned I didn't really play around with the game much. Just wanted to get that initial first run install out of the way and make sure everything ran fine.

gdt

Playing a bit of ACII, and the mouse just feels wierd to me. Have the sensitivity cranked all the way up, and it just fees kinda...sluggish. I have to do that move where you pick up the mouse and move it.

Any idea how to get rid of this? Might be to play on a gamepad if this keeps up.

Gandie

gdt5016 said:
Playing a bit of ACII, and the mouse just feels wierd to me. Have the sensitivity cranked all the way up, and it just fees kinda...sluggish. I have to do that move where you pick up the mouse and move it.

Any idea how to get rid of this? Might be to play on a gamepad if this keeps up.

Disable Vsync. Replace it with triple buffering via your graphic card's driver.

RealMeat

Banned
gdt5016 said:

Assuming ACII = Assassin's Creed II, use a gamepad if you have one. It may be blasphemy to say this, but some games just aren't designed for a mouse and keyboard.

gdt

LeadGandalf said:
Disable Vsync. Replace it with triple buffering via your graphic card's driver.

V-Sync is off, and so is d3d, it clogged up my FPS majorly. I'll try doing TB through the driver, I guess.

Angst said:

It depends on where your bank account/CC/whatever is registered, I think. If it's registered in Norway, you can only buy things from the Norwegian shop (and a Norwegian IP, although Valve can unlock your account to override the IP-clause). Steam probably won't like it when you try to circumvent the regional pricing by using another IP.

Davidion

provo57 said:
Assuming ACII = Assassin's Creed II, use a gamepad if you have one. It may be blasphemy to say this, but some games just aren't designed for a mouse and keyboard.

No, it's vsync. While I agree with what you said, I REALLY don't agree that ACII is one of those games.

Need to grab Jamesdown at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom