• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

e_i

Gah...I just went on a Steam binge:

CoD Modern Warfare 1&2
Darksiders
Drakensang 1-3
Dead Space
Jamestown
Universe Sandbox
Inside a Starfilled Sky

Dead Space 2 on D2D

coopolon

e_i said:
Gah...I just went on a Steam binge:

CoD Modern Warfare 1&2
Darksiders
Drakensang 1-3
Dead Space
Jamestown
Universe Sandbox
Inside a Starfilled Sky

Dead Space 2 on D2D

Summer sale should be coming soon where probably almost everything will be on sale. At least you didn't get any newer full price titles, you would have really been kicking yourslef if a $60 game is on sale for $20 in 2 and a half weeks.

Ledsen

Angst said:
A question regarding regional pricing:

I live in Norway and prices on Steam are pretty steep. When I'm at work I have a UK IP-address. Can I buy stuff using my account at UK and get UK prices, then download the games at home? Or will I breach some kind of ToS?

You could, but after a while they might start wondering how you can be in the UK during the day and in Norway at night. They could suspend your account. Basically I wouldn't recommend it, just get GAFers to gift you stuff (som jag gör :)

sk3tch

Does Deus Ex: GOTY still hold up today? Is it like a first-person shooter/Snatcher hybrid? Trying to decide if I want to get the Deus Ex 3: Augmented Edition that includes the original free.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sk3tch said:
Does Deus Ex: GOTY still hold up today? Is it like a first-person shooter/Snatcher hybrid? Trying to decide if I want to get the Deus Ex 3: Augmented Edition that includes the original free.

Does it hold up today? That's a tough one. I've had a number of console plebs try it and fail to grasp the sort of slow initial pace, lack of action in the shooting, and the graphics which weren't even great at the time.

On the other hand, I feel like it holds up very well. My first time playing it was about 5 years after the fact. It's fun, it's challenging in a good way, and it has a very modern interface. If you do play it, give it at least until the first major plot twist (you'll know when you get to a plane, it's maybe 2:00-2:30 into the game) and that should motivate you to keep playing further. And it's a fantastic, wonderful game.

Lime

sk3tch said:

It depends on your standards for visuals and voice acting in relation to how much you enjoy game mechanics. I would say that the game still holds up fairly well in terms of the incredible gameplay and has not been matched since - however the visuals, plot and voice acting are pretty bad, even for its time (2001). If those downsides bother you too much, then it might not be for you.

But if you haven't played it before, you definitely should. It is in many ways a masterpiece in terms of game mechanics.

sk3tch

Thanks guys. I've seen the YouTube clips of the awesome voice acting so that wouldn't be a problem. Graphically I should be OK, too...the setup is super intriguing and the video I saw of Deus EX 3 on YouTube has me hyped for the modern version, as well.

I'll try it out and report back. :)

EDIT: argh...the D2D version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition gives you Deus EX: GOTY in a standard download & key form...no Steam registration. Gotta try to get a refund. :-/

Blizzard

Banned
Lime said:
It depends on your standards for visuals and voice acting in relation to how much you enjoy game mechanics. I would say that the game still holds up fairly well in terms of the incredible gameplay and has not been matched since - however the visuals, plot and voice acting are pretty bad, even for its time (2001). If those downsides bother you too much, then it might not be for you.

But if you haven't played it before, you definitely should. It is in many ways a masterpiece in terms of game mechanics.
I thought the plot and number of choices you can make were supposed to be upsides.

Visuals and hilarious voice acting (JC A BOM WHAT A SHAME) are downsides, yes. One thing you can do to make it look a little better is google for the DX10 update. That should give you some options you can use to tweak it.

e_i

coopolon said:
Summer sale should be coming soon where probably almost everything will be on sale. At least you didn't get any newer full price titles, you would have really been kicking yourslef if a $60 game is on sale for $20 in 2 and a half weeks.

Yeah...it really waiting for New Vegas to go on sale. It's been out for 9 months and not a single sale.

sk3tch

e_i said:
Yeah...it really waiting for New Vegas to go on sale. It's been out for 9 months and not a single sale.

Remember that it is a Steamworks title...so you could have grabbed it for $19.99 at Best Buy and GameStop when they had it in stock/on sale. I checked GameStop and they're oos. :(

e_i

sk3tch said:
Remember that it is a Steamworks title...so you could have grabbed it for $19.99 at Best Buy and GameStop when they had it in stock/on sale. I checked GameStop and they're oos. :(

Ah...okay. If I see cheap...I'll jump on it.

I've never bought a Modern Warfare game before. If I bought MW2 and none of the map packs, would I get kicked out of lobbies a lot or do the map pack maps not come up that often? I'm not willing to give Activision any more than $20 in this expenditure.

MRORANGE

keeblerdrow said:
I've never bought a Modern Warfare game before. If I bought MW2 and none of the map packs, would I get kicked out of lobbies a lot or do the map pack maps not come up that often? I'm not willing to give Activision any more than $20 in this expenditure.

if have not bought any of the mw games get modern warfare 1 first, trust me.

Volcynika

e_i said:

New Vegas has been on sale before. For like $30 I think. Though I got it from a GameStop when it was $20 and plugged the code into Steam.

kodt

Banned
e_i said:

I bought it on steam for $25 I think. This is from my purchase history, I think the Indie packs were $5.

Dec 2010
$29.98 Purchase

Fallout: New Vegas, Indie Fright Pack

InertiaXr

e_i said:

Although currently unavailable online, New Vegas has been $20 at Gamestop retail for at least 3-4 months, that's where I got mine. It's Steamworks so registering on Steam is required.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I already got complete for $6.80 in the holiday sale... still never really played it...

Echoplx

Archie said:
Civ4 for $5 and Civ4 Complete for $7.50. Awesome deal. (Spend the extra $2.50 for Beyond the Sword)

Have they fixed the issue where both the PC and mac icons show up in your library (ie two of each icon)?

Mairu

Deals on MMOs are so lame :/

Guess I should be happy I haven't bought that much recently considering the upcoming big summer sale

Mairu said:
Deals on MMOs are so lame :/

Guess I should be happy I haven't bought that much recently considering the upcoming big summer sale

I'm grabbing EVE the next time it's up for $5 or less (I swear I've seen it at $2.50 before!)

Hopefully the summer sale delivers.

Any other MMO deals (for MMOs that are out at the moment) get a resounding meh from me though.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Anyone figure out what's more or less the typical delay in time between posting the first weekend deal and the 2nd weekend deal? (same with midweek madness)

Shahadan

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I'm grabbing EVE the next time it's up for $5 or less (I swear I've seen it at $2.50 before!)

Hopefully the summer sale delivers.

Any other MMO deals (for MMOs that are out at the moment) get a resounding meh from me though.

It was on sale for 5 bucks three weeks ago :x

Civ4 is one of the essential modern PC gaming experiences. Spend the extra money for the full package-Beyond the Sword's additions should be viewed as essential.

(I've played about 150 hours or so in the last four weeks. Game still rocks)

confused

Banned
Pandoracell said:
What a disappointing weekend deal. C'mon Valve, I have extra money this weekend, let me spend it!

Don't you just hate it when they do that. And when you don't have any money they have a surprise weeklong sale.

MNC

DR2 and RE5 are juuuust too pricey to be impulse-buy prices. Also didn't Dead Rising 2 have crap system for co-op?

RyL

Banned
question to german gaf

is Dead Rising 2 giftable, since it's not only "indiziert" but also "beschlagnahmt" (confiscated ... yea I laughed too) in germany

(live in germany but I'm not german and neither is my steam account ... but it still IP blocks the content)

btw. what's the price of DR2, again can't see it

1-D_FTW

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-payda-the-heist-my-favourite-discovery-of-e3/

Totally off-topic (unless Sony releases their SOE games on Steam), but you guys should check out the coverage on Payday: The heist. It looks like the real sleeper of E3.

Basically L4D meets Point Break bank robberies.

The info on the developer's website says less than half the price of a retail game (so I guess 19.99 - 29.99 is a fair guess, hopefully the lower end).

EDIT: Actually SOE does publish on Steam. Awesome.

Carm

Does anyone own the retail release of Civ 4 Complete? It's suppose to be DRM free, but does that include not requiring the disc in the tray while playing? I'd rather pay a bit more to have it not tied to any service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom