• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Gvaz said:
Young ones, so silly and cute

steamkd80.png

Heh, I was going to mention The Longest Journey.

Yeah, this is completely normal.

Blizzard

Banned
The sorting throws me off sometimes, like for "The [whatever]" games, but then I realized the search box above the games list is very useful.

Twinduct

I use categories quite extensively.
That and search. The amount of times I've entered into a special, only to be greeted with ' You already own this game'. God it feels silly :<

svegis said:
Sounds like your father needs to take a lesson from the game itself, lay down some traps and protect his stuff!

Lol, that he does! That gas-chamber trap would be awesome.

shuyin_

Banned
3chopl0x said:
MOTHER OF GOD

I noticed an entry for Supreme Commander Retail keys in the registry and just entered my old code for it and it activated both the original AND forged alliance from my one key :O

If you have an old key give it a try and report back

iqhcoZlsAF2Ox.png
I can confirm this works. However i own the Gold edition so that might be a requirement for the key to work.

Mupod

Twinduct said:
I use categories quite extensively.
That and search. The amount of times I've entered into a special, only to be greeted with ' You already own this game'. God it feels silly :<

I blame all those humble bundles that keep adding random games, after I bought it on the first day.

On the upside I had some pleasant surprises during that summer contest, I was able to get quite a few more tickets than I was expecting thanks to all those things I forgot about.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bastion Midweek. I really enjoyed the 360 Demo for it, but don't quite know if I can commit the time to it right now.

Anyways, thanks to someone wonderful here. I received a copy of Dungeon Defenders and since I just finished Orcs Must Die, I might as well compare the two.

Straight up, OMD is much more fun. You have more refined control over your character and the game is more responsive to it. Going into Dungeon Defenders after it felt, felt really jarring. Its lacks the finesse I felt in OMD. Mobs were just bigger meatbags. Aiming didn't require much effort. The levels weren't as cleverly designed nor were the enemies. I've only play a bit more than hour, but it doesn't feel like its going to change.

Dungeon Defenders on the other hand included more content in the package. Leveling up your character, improving weapons, towers, etc. Actually having an online mode. Game is really a loot whores dream nixxed with TD.

Chesskid1 said:
huge ass update for sanctum. 1.2gb for me.

3 new game modes, new weapons, towers, new languages, maps.

still need to play it soon but that's some quality support.

HOLY SHIT. Nice. Good timing on their part with the Indie Royale bundle ending and lots of new players coming into the fold.

I also burned through Costume Quest in one sitting. Took me 4.8 hours, doing absolutely everything and unlocking all the achievements. I really, really enjoyed it. I didn't know that JRPG combat systems could be fun! Now off to play the DLC. :D

svegis

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6668/ said:
Steam client update released

A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

- Display your recently uploaded workshop files in TF2's game details page
- Added framework for Steam Support to send messages directly to users
- Changed 'Add Friend' button in the friends list to point to a much-improved interface for searching for friends
- Fixed a rare threading race condition based crash when pressing TAB in games using the in-game overlay
- Fixes occasional long hangs in the Valve Hardware Survey
- Update to support upcoming Steamworks titles
- Fix screenshots sometimes uploading with the wrong dimensions

I'm curious how the steam support "livechat" bit will be handled, but interesting update none the less.

Blizzard

Banned
svegis said:
I'm curious how the steam support "livechat" bit will be handled, but interesting update none the less.
Did they explicitly say livechat, or just potentially some sort of email-like system?

A big part of why you want your support account separate from your Steam account is that if your Steam account gets hacked, you don't want them to be able to contact support and impersonate you.

svegis

Blizzard said:
Did they explicitly say livechat, or just potentially some sort of email-like system?

A big part of why you want your support account separate from your Steam account is that if your Steam account gets hacked, you don't want them to be able to contact support and impersonate you.

No, the "livechat" was just what I made of it, I'm guessing you can now file a portion of tickets inside of the client, and some are still out of it(on your other account). Maybe?

LQX

Anyone else buy Dead Space 2 and cant get it to run? Found a fix but no luck.

Will Steam give me a refund with no issues?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
MRORANGE said:

Dammit, it happened again. Someone posts something about Jurassic Park The Game and my first thought is "OH SHIT A NEW JP GAME?" but then I remember what it actually is and I get depressed.

Re: Bastion, I bought it recently at full price and I regret it. The presentation (namely the art and ost) is beautiful, but the game itself is shallow as a kiddy pool. The quests consist of little more than combat, and the combat system is very simple, so the feeling of repetition sunk in pretty fast for me. I bailed out about 6 hours in when one of the missions had me facing like twenty waves of enemies. It was about then that I realized that I wasn't really having any fun, even if it was pleasing to my eyes and ears.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
There is a PC Demo coming for Sonic Genrations, no clue if Sega will put it out before the game is released though:
sonicdemo.png

moojito

Woo, I've not played evil genius in aaaaages. I remember really enjoying it whenever it was it came out. Very austin powers/tf2-ish style and humour, as I recall.

Gvaz

Banned
Anilusion said:
What skin is this?
Steam Compact

Best skin ever.

Chesskid1 said:
if anyone is still an ign prime member from orcs must die

grab your copy of bastion ost (not steam, but bastion is on sale/lots of ppl have an ign prime in here now)!

http://login.ign.com/prime/promos/bastion/

Nice! They have these options:

MP3 CBR 320
MP3 VBR (V0)
Flac
AAC
OGG
ALAC

but I'm gonna download the flac and downsample it to mp3 v0 myself because I don't trust their encoding methods.

edit: LOL it lists it as "Audiophiles and Nerds" haha fuck you

Gvaz

Banned
Derrick01 said:
damn the sanctum patch is downloading again, all 1.2gb. Stop draining my bandwidth!
Hey no big deal. unlimited bandwidth and 2.5MB/s down here, 1.2 gb takes like no time at all and I don't even notice.

Doomrider

So, Renegade Ops. I just completed the first 2 missions and this game is seriously fun. The controls are great and simple (tank mode ON, of course) and it looks really good (the explosions! Oh my). I have yet to try multiplayer, but I'm sure it's a blast too (or several, ohoh). I'm using Roxy right now.
Is it possible to play with General Bryant after beating the game or something?

Thanks, derFeef!

Hanzou

Derrick01 said:
damn the sanctum patch is downloading again, all 1.2gb. Stop draining my bandwidth!

I thought steam has fixed this problem? Or has that not rolled into older games released before they patched it?

Derrick01

Banned
Hanzou said:
I thought steam has fixed this problem? Or has that not rolled into older games released before they patched it?

I guess not. I thought it had finished rather quickly earlier but I wasn't paying attention to time but yeah it just redownloaded the whole thing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom