• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinduct

You'll know you have a problem when you get angry because you want to buy a game in a sale but you can't because you already own it.

Times like those that forces one to look back and take a hard look at just what went wrong in life .... until that damn daily clock runs to 0 =p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well look who's making an appearance in everyone's favorite F2P Steam game
20111124011455.png

what does this mean for Minecraft on Steam?

Here is the Description:
Welcome to a secret society so exclusive it makes the Illuminati look like a Costco. How exclusive? You are the only member. This is the only item of its kind in all of existence. So don't craft it, Miney.

If the "One of a kind" isn't flavor text, it is likely being given to just a single person.

webrunner

Here is the Description:

If the "One of a kind" isn't flavor text, it is likely being given to just a single person.

Given that the face is designed to look like Notch and not Steve, and that it has a black fedora (like Notch), it suggests that yes, this is a Notch-only item.

L.A. Noire 50% off, are you freaking kidding me? I bought it at release, two weeks ago, and now they're cutting the price in half?

I haven't touched the game yet, is there a way to get a refund? Talk about pissing on your loyal customers who buy new games at full price.

L.A. Noire 50% off, are you freaking kidding me? I bought it at release, two weeks ago, and now they're cutting the price in half?

I haven't touched the game yet, is there a way to get a refund? Talk about pissing on your loyal customers who buy new games at full price.

you should have waited knowing holidays are around. and especially during December. don't buy shit until christmas sale starts.

dLMN8R

You should be pissed at yourself for buying a game full price and not playing it for weeks. What were you thinking??

Blizzard

Banned
you should have waited knowing holidays are around. and especially during December. don't buy shit until christmas sale starts.
Yeah, it's pretty much how Steam has always worked. :p

For VVVVVV, I don't like hard platformers and I didn't care for the demo TOO much, but I really like the music. Does the game come with soundtrack files you can listen to or do you need to buy the soundtrack separately?

TheExodu5

Banned

You only have yourself to blame.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man, I feel bad for anyone who paid full price for LA Noire.

Anyways, New Vegas, VVVVVV and the Monkey Island bundle are great games. Most of us probably have them already, though.

Blizzard

Banned

Thanks. Is it appropriate for me to point out here that there are two songs in the game that are NOT on that soundtrack, and they are included in the sound file package in the Steam install? I just installed VVVVVV on Steam and it appears simple to extract the OGG files (including those two missing songs) from the data files. Does anyone know any EULA etc. issues with doing that?

Blizzard

Banned
I did but I have no regrets.
If it's any comfort for people who paid full price, presumably you paid full price to support the developer since you felt the game was worth it. If it was say, buying a game on sale at a store, I assume the dev gets the same money from it. If you buy a game on sale on Steam, however, devs get LESS money for each game, I'm pretty sure, so you helped the dev out! Or...something. =P

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If it's any comfort for people who paid full price, presumably you paid full price to support the developer since you felt the game was worth it. If it was say, buying a game on sale at a store, I assume the dev gets the same money from it. If you buy a game on sale on Steam, however, devs get LESS money for each game, I'm pretty sure, so you helped the dev out! Or...something. =P

But then again, wasn't the developer shuttered? Maybe they still get a cut, though.

I'm so tempted to get LA Noire but I think I'd rather wait for it to be even cheaper. Other than that, another day of not wanting anything. Feels good.

Blizzard

Banned
I emailed Terry Cavanagh, and almost immediately got a response, which was pretty cool. I asked if it was okay to extract the VVVVVV soundtrack files since I had bought it on Steam, and he said:

Terry Cavanagh said:
For your own personal use, it's totally fine :) Souleye is planning a
new release of the soundtrack with those songs in a while, though, so
please don't share them!

He also said that he'd never done the global game jam but that he preferred individual game jams like Ludum Dare.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Didn't gaf say LA Noire PC version was a bad port? hence I am holding out.

The game just isn't worth that much. It has a nice concept, but the execution is dull. After a few cases, it starts to become repetitive and the cutscenes/story add very little.

I emailed Terry Cavanagh, and almost immediately got a response, which was pretty cool. I asked if it was okay to extract the VVVVVV soundtrack files since I had bought it on Steam, and he said:

He also said that he'd never done the global game jam but that he preferred individual game jams like Ludum Dare.

I already bought the Souleye soundtrack. I wonder if I'd have to buy it again for the new stuff?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Did what no addict should do and looked through the $5 and under games. Now I'm doing what no friend should do and I am showing you what I found. Any thoughts on these?

Helldorado $2 - Great art style

Capsized $2.50 - Graphics and physics seem a bit to much like a flash game to me.

Robin Hood $5 - Looks cool, but then again I am addicted to isometric games. I have a category for them.

Gatling Gears $5 - Looks cool.

Syberia II $5 - Love the style

Railroad Tycoon II Platinum $3.34 - More interesting to me than the polygonal 3rd entry.

Legend of Fae $5 - Panel de Pon adventure game?

Star Wars Jedi Starfighter $3 - Old. I'd be concerned of 1080p support.

Delve Deeper $1.24 - I have no idea what is going on in the video.

Faerie Solitaire $1 - Fancy solitaire for $1

Eversion $1.25 - Could be really good.

Children of the Nile Pack $3.12 - See previous statement about isometric addiction.

Majesty 2 $4 - I heard it was really unique and interesting.

Westward Collection $3.74 - You could add Westward IV and it'd be about $5.50. They look like cute fun. Sim + Harvest Moon + Western.

Magnetis $2 - Not even on sale, it's just hella cheap.

I personally recommend:

Critical Mass $1.25

Syberia 2 is a pretty good adventure game. Legend of Fae is a fun puzzle RPG. I really enjoyed Capsized but a lot of people here didn't seem to. It has a beautiful art style and the gameplay is physics-based and I thought it was fun.

Blizzard

Banned
Did what no addict should do and looked through the $5 and under games. Now I'm doing what no friend should do and I am showing you what I found. Any thoughts on these?

I own Syberia 1 and 2 but haven't played them. Presumably good. High Metacritic. *edit* Make sure you get the bundle that has BOTH games if you want to save $2.50!

Eversion is still free if you want to try it. I think the Steam version may have something extra but I don't know the details. I never even finished the free version since it was too difficult for me. http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html

ArjanN

Helldorado $2 - Great art style

Capsized $2.50 - Graphics and physics seem a bit to much like a flash game to me.

Robin Hood $5 - Looks cool, but then again I am addicted to isometric games. I have a category for them.

Gatling Gears $5 - Looks cool.

Syberia II $5 - Love the style

Railroad Tycoon II Platinum $3.34 - More interesting to me than the polygonal 3rd entry.

Legend of Fae $5 - Panel de Pon adventure game?

Star Wars Jedi Starfighter $3 - Old. I'd be concerned of 1080p support.

Delve Deeper $1.24 - I have no idea what is going on in the video.

Faerie Solitaire $1 - Fancy solitaire for $1

Children of the Nile Pack $3.12 - See previous statement about isometric addiction.

Majesty 2 $4 - I heard it was really unique and interesting.

Westward Collection $3.74 - You could add Westward IV and it'd be about $5.50. They look like cute fun. Sim + Harvest Moon + Western.

Magnetis $2 - Not even on sale, it's just hella cheap.

I personally recommend:

Critical Mass $1.25

Eversion is great. If you're going to get Syberia II you should play Syberia I first.

Dice

Syberia pack really interests me. I'll wait to see if it drops further. Ideally Alice and Sonic will both drop to 75% off but I think it's unlikely. If it doesn't happen, I'll have money for Syberia games. Might nab Robin Hood if anyone can confirm the possibility of non-ancient resolutions or at least 1280x960 windowed mode.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Eversion lasts about an hour. On the other hand, during that hour, and especially if you play to get every ending, you will have several moments where your jaw drops. Don't Youtube anything, don't read about the game, just play it. If the surprise is ruined, your experience will be greatly impacted.

Dice

Jamestown & Gundemonium games are also on sale. Tempting bullethell offerings...

Eversion lasts about an hour. On the other hand, during that hour, and especially if you play to get every ending, you will have several moments where your jaw drops. Don't Youtube anything, don't read about the game, just play it. If the surprise is ruined, your experience will be greatly impacted.
Okay.

Eversion is still free if you want to try it. I think the Steam version may have something extra but I don't know the details. I never even finished the free version since it was too difficult for me. http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html
Thanks, will do.

vazel

Banned
The Syberia games are terrific definitely pick those up people. They're my favorite adventure games. I own it both on disc and at gog.

MRORANGE

enjoy Dice, Gravijah, JaseC, JDS, wilflare, Flunkie, Jim Jam Bongs and Smugglr

(still need to get copies for chesskid and 3chopl0x but my card wont do anymore gifts due to steam blocking the card for a while, oh xelios already has the game -_- )

enjoy!

Y1STZ.jpg

Kabouter

Sold.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What's Helldorado? Is it similar to Desperado? Worse? Better? Totally different?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
enjoy Dice, Gravijah, JaseC, JDS, wilflare, Flunkie, Jim Jam Bongs and Smugglr

(still need to get copies for chesskid and 3chopl0x but my card wont do anymore gifts due to steam blocking the card for a while, oh xelios already has the game -_- )

enjoy!

Y1STZ.jpg

Oh, awesome. Thanks! :) (I'm not at my PC, so I haven't seen the gift pop-up message. In fact, I should be sleeping.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom