• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Sorry if this has been asked. Is it cheaper to get Civ 5 GOTY than to get regular and all the DLC? And is all the available DLC included with the GOTY? When i compared them it looked like the GOTY was missing "Wonders of the Ancient World" and "Scenario Pack: Korea" I want everything i can get for the cheapest obviously.

Iztli

I just hit the 210 mark with Rainbow Six 3: Gold Edition :p

must....buy..more...games :(

P.S. I already own this game on disc :(

Totally thinking about buying the first Witcher game. What's the general consensus on it?

It's one of the best RPGS of this decade. The atmosphere of the game world that they have created is magnificent and it truly sucks you in. It's a nice departure from the run of the mill fantasy worlds we get in RPGs these days. You're not a hero saving the universe from an intergalactic threat. You're not a hero saving the world from an ancient evil blight. You play as a monster hunter for hire who has lost his memory, and you get involved in the politics of the world around you as you continue to play the game. It has a great setting, amazing music, true role playing gameplay where your choices matter and it's made by a developer that truly cares for their product and their fans. There is just no way you can pass it up for 2.5$.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Sorry if this has been asked. Is it cheaper to get Civ 5 GOTY than to get regular and all the DLC? And is all the available DLC included with the GOTY? When i compared them it looked like the GOTY was missing "Wonders of the Ancient World" and "Scenario Pack: Korea" I want everything i can get for the cheapest obviously.

Found my answer. Have to buy Civ 5 GOTY and the combo pack with what your missing so it comes to around 19 bucks for everything Civ 5 has to offer. I'm stoked.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Not even publicly released, and Dota 2 is now in the top 10:
dota.jpg

The sword fighting is kind of like The Witcher 2 but stupidly easy. It plays similarly because of the light/heavy attack and chaining combos, but the actual difficulty and complexity is more akin to something like Dungeon Siege 3 (i.e. not very).

One thing which is surprising is that they've gone to great lengths to make the dialogue trees flow. So when someone says something to your character, no matter which next option you choose the beginning of their line will acknowledge the thing the NPC just said to them. So if someone says "yo there be orcs" and you pick "tell me about goblins", your character will say "yes, orcs are fascinating, but I'm more interested in goblins" rather than just "what is the deal with goblins?"

Also I did just have a deep and meaningful conversation with a huge eagle.

The sword fighting is kind of like The Witcher 2 but stupidly easy. It plays similarly because of the light/heavy attack and chaining combos, but the actual difficulty and complexity is more akin to something like Dungeon Siege 3 (i.e. not very).

One thing which is surprising is that they've gone to great lengths to make the dialogue trees flow. So when someone says something to your character, no matter which next option you choose the beginning of their line will acknowledge the thing the NPC just said to them. So if someone says "yo there be orcs" and you pick "tell me about goblins", your character will say "yes, orcs are fascinating, but I'm more interested in goblins" rather than just "what is the deal with goblins?"

Also I did just have a deep and meaningful conversation with a huge eagle.

That is very cool about the conversations. And any game that has you talking with and eagle is fine by me.

epmode

Everybody who doesn't purchase Rage should feel bad for not supporting the only FPS this generation favourably comparable to Episode Two.
While Rage is pretty good, Serious Sam 3 is pretty much the best pure FPS campaign since Episode Two. It's a shame that it was released right before the Steam sale hurricane but trust me on this one.

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently there was some Steam update that I wasn't aware of and you can have more than 250 friends now. Someone on my friends list has 253!

I wish there was a way to search through the friends list and/or use aliases though. Some people change their names and/or avatars regularly, and it'd be nice to just search for a string, like you can do with the games list, since there might be a clan tag or whatever involved.

Bluth54

Apparently there was some Steam update that I wasn't aware of and you can have more than 250 friends now. Someone on my friends list has 253!

I wish there was a way to search through the friends list and/or use aliases though. Some people change their names and/or avatars regularly, and it'd be nice to just search for a string, like you can do with the games list, since there might be a clan tag or whatever involved.

If you link your steam account to facebook you get 50 extra friend slots.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm glad I bought Bulletstorm over Morrowind GOTY today (relax, I've played Morrowind already that's why). 30 minutes in and I was able to yank my first enemy into a spike trap and leash/kick someone into a cactus. This is going to be an amazing ride.

Also a bit on the sadistic side here, but I got way too much enjoyment out of shooting someone in the throat and watching him stagger around the area grabbing his throat and making gurgling sounds as blood shot out everywhere.

I'm glad I bought Bulletstorm over Morrowind GOTY today (relax, I've played Morrowind already that's why). 30 minutes in and I was able to yank my first enemy into a spike trap and leash/kick someone into a cactus. This is going to be an amazing ride.

Also a bit on the sadistic side here, but I got way too much enjoyment out of shooting someone in the throat and watching him stagger around the area grabbing his throat and making gurgling sounds as blood shot out everywhere.

Sounds viciously awesome... This should be on sale christmas time, thats when I'll look for it.

Aselith

Recommendations dammit! Should I get Gothic 4 OR Divinity 2? I'd prefer a more Arthurian interpretation of fantasy and I like more traditional armor looks over the very ornate armors. I also tend to prefer a more flexible skill system?

Which?

Also, which has better graphics?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Recommendations dammit! Should I get Gothic 4 OR Divinity 2? I'd prefer a more Arthurian interpretation of fantasy and I like more traditional armor looks over the very ornate armors. I also tend to prefer a more flexible skill system?

Which?

Also, which has better graphics?

Ugh.. You might want to ask a new question. Gothic 4 isnt even in the same league regarding a full RPG package. If you want a Gothic style game, get Risen instead when its on sale during christmas.

Two Worlds 2 was also a nice game (first one wasnt), or huge recommendation: Dragon Age 1 for the slight Chance you havent played it yet.

Edit: Divinity II is a good game though, if it looks interesting to you.

Aselith

Ugh.. You might want to ask a new question. Gothic 4 isnt even in the same league regarding a full RPG package. If you want a Gothic style game, get Risen instead when its on sale during christmas.

Two Worlds 2 was also a nice game (first one wasnt).

I changed my mind while waiting and bought a bunch of indie games. I got Star Wolves, Chanteleuse, Inside a Star Filled Sky and Runespell. I had to spend a bit more but i think I'll be happier.

I've got Skyrim still going plus I've got Drakensang and a few other RPG's on the backburner anyways so some smaller stuff is probably better.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I changed my mind while waiting and bought a bunch of indie games. I got Star Wolves, Chanteleuse, Inside a Star Filled Sky and Runespell. I had to spend a bit more but i think I'll be happier.

Buying Indie games is never a bad idea :) Enjoy the games.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just wanted to say that LIMBO is a fantastic experience so far. Some of the very best atmosphere and ambient music I've seen in a game. Beautiful art direction, puzzles with just the right difficulty. The game is very trance-like. It's like a nightmare that never ends, and the game is in fact pretty creepy and unsettling a lot of the time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I probably shouldn't but I don't see it getting any cheaper. Gah...

It'll probably be on sale for the same price in the near future, at least on Origin. It's a decent game but if you have other shit to play, then save your money for now.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It'll probably be on sale for the same price in the near future, at least on Origin. It's a decent game but if you have other shit to play, then save your money for now.

I couldn't say no since it was the same price on origin and with coupon code I brought it down to $8 ><.

Qatar

Bastion is currently for $7.50 at Origin. I can activate it om steam, right?
I won't be playing it until the beginning of next year, should I get it now or wait for Xmas steam sales ?

Edit: just found LotR war in the north on origin for $25. I read somewhere that it is Steamworks, but I'm not sure about that.
Great deal

wilflare

I won't be playing it until the beginning of next year, should I get it now or wait for Xmas steam sales ?

Edit: just found LotR war in the north on origin for $25. I read somewhere that it is Steamworks, but I'm not sure about that.
Great deal

wait for Steam sale.
don't think u can activate Bastion on Steam

confused

Banned
Cross-posted from the Steam sales thread :

I ran out of money in my paypal so :

Is there anybody from the US willing to buy me Medal of Honor 2010 for $10 ? Will repay you with $10 in games on Steam, or you could wait for money to transfer into my Paypal account and I'll repay you in Paypal cash tomorrow. Gaf should be able to confirm I can be trusted.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to help me out.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
So I used the steam trading thing to get a Dota 2 invite, but how do I active it? I can see it under mange gifts, but it's not showing up in my library.

my favorite purchase from the sale, I ain't even mad that it wasn't a daily

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Great deal

I'm pretty sure Origin requires any games posted there to have steamworks stripped out of them so you probably can't add bastion to steam.

amrod

Great deal

LOTR works on steam.. I tried it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom