• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Don't buy or play Homecoming. It's far from worth anyone's time, imo. When lying on your deathbed you will say to yourself: "Why oh why did I spend those 5-8 hours of playing Silent Hill: Homecoming?"

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Steam was at nearly 4.75 million yesterday. 5 million by the end of the year? :O

Anyways, hitting up my save of Mass Effect once again. Maybe I'll finish it this time... Well until the PC parts come in this week and its off to Witcher 2. Heh.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Steam was at nearly 4.75 million yesterday. 5 million by the end of the year? :O

Anyways, hitting up my save of Mass Effect once again. Maybe I'll finish it this time... Well until the PC parts come in this week and its off to Witcher 2. Heh.

Just wait until Dota 2 hits. It's already in the top 10 concurrent in a closed beta. 6 million no problem.

Update on War in the North: still fun, but the shine is starting to wear off. The structure of the game is basically watch cut-scene => interactive dialogue => linear series of monster arenas and then repeat. The loot is surprisingly good, though aside from weapons with fiery effects and the like I've not noticed the stats making a massive difference.

Generally the combat is decent once you get the hang of it, but fighting trolls and bosses is usually not. They're basically just damage sponges who take off half your health with one hit, so killing them goes close the distance => special heavy attack => dodge-roll away and wait for your heavy special attack to recharge. For, like, five minutes.

I'm mostly playing as the Ranger, and my biggest gripe so far is that it completely sucks that they decided to implement ranged weapon ammo as well as weapon durability, rather than just one or the other. Really annoying.

Didn't this have an UNFIXABLE bug where the game would crash after a certain boss or something, and you need a save game past that point to finish the game?

Not sure about that but I did use a trainer to race through the story because it's so bad. Not only is it one of the worst PC ports I've ever played, the game is just terrible. They tried to make a Silent Hill with good combat and failed miserably, so what you're left with is a janky mess of cheap deaths and frustration.

I only played the Team Silent games, I know Homecoming sucks in comparison, but how much worse is it?

See above.

Blizzard

Banned
So you guys are saying I should definitely pick up Silent Hill, for sure, right?

(I hadn't even heard it was so terrible, actually)

So you guys are saying I should definitely pick up Silent Hill, for sure, right?

(I hadn't even heard it was so terrible, actually)

There are far better things you could spend $10 on, let's put it that way. A few things off the top of my head:

- QTEs use the keyboard button prompts even if you're using a 360 controller ("officially supported" apparently).
- Graphical options are basically non-existent. There's an ENB series mod for it but it still looks like a moldy bag of ass.
- The story is just bad. It's one of those stories where they try really hard to make Silent Hill a real physical place, when the best SH games take place entirely within the protagonist's skull.
- It's ugly. Silent Hill games should be a bit ugly, but I honestly wonder if the studio even employed an art-director at times. It's quite visually similar to SH2, but where every scene in SH2 compelled you to stare into the fog at every dark outline or flickering ember of light, Homecoming just makes you want to look away in disgust.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Massive disappointment as a huge Silent Hill and horror game fan.

NBtoaster

lol...seems they 'corrected' the price of MW3 in New Zealand. It was 59.99 (while MW2 was still 89.99) before the sale, now it's 99.99 (in US monies).

There are far better things you could spend $10 on, let's put it that way. A few things off the top of my head:

- QTEs use the keyboard button prompts even if you're using a 360 controller ("officially supported" apparently).
- Graphical options are basically non-existent. There's an ENB series mod for it but it still looks like a moldy bag of ass.
- The story is just bad. It's one of those stories where they try really hard to make Silent Hill a real physical place, when the best SH games take place entirely within the protagonist's skull.
- It's ugly. Silent Hill games should be a bit ugly, but I honestly wonder if the studio even employed an art-director at times. It's quite visually similar to SH2, but where every scene in SH2 compelled you to stare into the fog at every dark outline or flickering ember of light, Homecoming just makes you want to look away in disgust.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Massive disappointment as a huge Silent Hill and horror game fan.

FUCK. Just bought it. :(

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I only played the Team Silent games, I know Homecoming sucks in comparison, but how much worse is it?

Its a great action Survival Horror game...just seems the hard core Team Silent Fans hate it. Its 100x as good as the Room was tho and was alot of fun.
Some graphics are good while others are bad but overall its compairable to early next gen launch titles.
The controls are great very similar to Dead Space controls, visuals and story seem to have alot of influences from the movie.

ya i think the issue is its still listed as 40dollars for an old game like that its alittle crazy

It's been on my wishlist for a long time and I have never seen it discounted this low, which may account for the amount of sales the game is currently getting. As far as the game itself, I own and completed all the other Silent Hill games and I already played through a large chunk of it on the 360 so I know what I'm getting into. It's my least favorite in the series but I don't consider it a bad game.

It's true that there are probably a lot better things on my wishlist that $10 could have been used for but unless the port is laughably bad, I won't really regret my purchase. Also, I bought the game on PS3 a while back (after discarding the 360 version) just so all my Silent Hill games would have some platform consistency so I'm not new to wasting money either. :p

Its a great action Survival Horror game...just seems the hard core Team Silent Fans hate it. Its 100x as good as the Room was tho and was alot of fun.
Some graphics are good while others are bad but overall its compairable to early next gen launch titles.
The controls are great very similar to Dead Space controls, visuals and story seem to have alot of influences from the movie.

This is pretty much how I felt about the game. There was way too much combat and a lot of the story was lifted right out of the movie. Overall, the presentation was nice and I had fun with it.

Flunkie

Banned
Jesus, I can't get Skyrim to run worth shit on my PC. I think it's time for a new one.

Alienware laptop here I come!!

I wish.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I got this for $1 on the sale.

03zAb.jpg

So close to all rounds perfect...
Me best cash in one hand was $7900.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Dammit dammit dammit!

How did i miss Bulletstorm for 10 bucks?! I've been waiting so long for a sale and because it wasn't a daily deal i completely forgot about it. Oh well, picked up Civ 5 and all dlc, orcs must die! and dlc, renegade ops, Limbo, and MTG and all dlc.

Derrick01

Banned
Speaking of Bulletstorm I forgot to say how amazing that game was when I finished it earlier. Pretty much non stop balls out amazing for the entire 7.1 hours it took to finish and I felt it was just the right length too. By the time I started to feel like the game was overstaying its welcome it was over 20 minutes later.

I managed to get 102 out of the 131 skillshots without really trying too hard, the game really encouraged my creativity to murder people as awesome as possible. One of my favorite kills that just happened at the perfect time was when 4 dudes pretty much lined up and I launched one of those things that look like things cowboys use to stop shit from running, but when it's a charge shot it heats up and cuts through people. This thing cut through the first 3 guys in sequence, decapitating the first 2 and slicing the 3rd in half, explodes before the 4th guy but the explosion launched him into a giant venus fly trap thing. Got about 4 different skillshots just from that.

Graphics were phenomenal and jaw dropping at times in the outdoor areas, though sometimes the saturation was way too much. The mayhem in the game even though it was scripted was great too, there weren't a ton of calm moments in the game as something is always falling apart or exploding.

The banter was completely childish but intentionally so and it was kind of funny. I also liked how the game was self aware at how cheesy and cliche it was being. At one point in the story where it looks like you're fucked and something happens at the last second, Grayson actually says "woah deus ex machina!".

So yeah, really great game and I'm kicking myself harder for passing up on it in February for Killzone 3 and DC Universe Online, 2 games I hated. Though I guess I'm glad I didn't spend $60 for a 7 hour game. It's also really shitty that we're not getting a sequel even though the game left it open for one, I wish Epic would stop focusing on iphone shit and make Bulletstorm 2.

RetroGreg

Just wanted to share my haul from the sale:

Dead Space 1 $4.99
Dogfighter $2.50
Duke Nukem $6.79
Faerie Solitaire $1.00
Flight Control HD $1.24
Serious Sam Double Pack $2.99
Tom Clancy's Hawx $2.49
The Witcher $2.49

Total $24.49. PC gaming is amazing. I set out to only spend $25 knowing my first Christmas sale is just around the corner. Awesome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My haul:

SiN Episodes: Emergence, SiN, SiN Multiplayer $3.00
Arx Fatalis $2.49
Unreal Deal Pack $9.99
Tiny Bang Story $2.50
Broken Sword - Trilogy Pack $2.49
Shatter $2.50
Orcs Must Die! - Artifacts of Power DLC $0.62
Orcs Must Die! - Lost Adventures DLC $0.99
Orcs Must Die! $3.74
Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money DLC $3.24
Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts DLC $3.24
Fallout: New Vegas - Gun Runners' Arsenal DLC $0.99
Fallout: New Vegas - Courier's Stash DLC $0.49
Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road DLC $2.49
Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues DLC $3.24
Sanctum: Official Soundtrack $1.24
Sanctum - Aftermath DLC $0.49
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link DLC $7.49
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Explosion Pack DLC $1.49
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Tactical Pack DLC $0.99
Sanctum - Aftershock DLC $0.49
Sanctum - Caverns DLC $0.49
Sanctum - Slums DLC $0.49
Worms Reloaded - Puzzle Pack DLC $2.49
Worms Reloaded - Fort Booster Pack DLC $2.49
Hamilton's Great Adventure - Retro Fever DLC $0.24
Worms Reloaded - Time Attack Pack DLC $2.49
Worms Reloaded - Retro Pack DLC $2.49
Worms Ultimate Mayhem$7.49
Worms $3.99
Worms Blast $3.99
Worms Crazy Golf $4.99
Worms Pinball $3.99
Fallout Collection $9.99
Cyan Complete Pack $9.99
CreaVures $2.49
TRAUMA $1.75

Total: USD$114.05 (~AUD$114.46)

(I was also gifted Dungeons of Dredmor, Eversion, and Fallout: New Vegas.)

Before you ask: No, I don't know why I spent close to $40 on Worms.

markot

Banned
*Looks up Nation Red on Steam.

Zomibes? God im sick of those guys. I mean cmon, its just getting silly now.

Its gotten to the point where if Zombies actually attacked, most people would just roll their eyes and carry on with their day.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Great, Saint's Row 2 is 5.08 on Gamersgate today.

It couldn't have been in the past 6 months, where I had nothing to play and wanted to play Saint's Row 2, right? :D

Now I already have Saints Row The Third and couldn't care less about 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait.. it was on sale? Like.. nobody said.. nothing >.>

Another SiN fan? So I'm not alone! I've been wanting to play Emergence for years, but since it's never a daily/mid-week/weekend deal, the mental note to buy the game is erased by the time the next seasonal sale is due to begin. The sole reason I remembered to buy the bloody thing this time is that I went through all ~67 pages of specials and made note of what I desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom