• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysgen

Borderlands is only worth it Co Op. When in co op its really fun. Just make sure you both start fresh and new.

It's a mediocre loot game because it focuses on having thousands of variations of the same weapons, all of which feel equally awful to shoot because it's a mediocre shooting game too. The environments are bland and repetitive, the enemies are bland and repetitive, the skill-trees are all but worthless and the same goes for the classes. There is no story whatsoever, the little robot makes me want to punch babies, the UI on PC is horrible.

If co-op weren't broken at launch I might not hate it so much, but after 8 hours of the singleplayer game I wanted to find Randy Pitchford and spank him with wet lettuce.

G-d, I hate these posts :) So subjective. Put in a bazillion hours into single player.

The UI wasn't that bad. I did hang once when I clicked the X on their dialog box and got stuck in the menu :)

Dam now i'm not sure,there is no demo either =(

Look, if it's cheap and you don't have anything to play it's probably worth picking up. I've played too many shooters and too many loot games to be able to overlook the flaws I feel are present in the game from both perspectives. For a lot of people it was more than the sum of those parts, and they enjoyed it. Sadly I wasn't one of them.

Sysgen

Games with skill trees like Borderlands, you can play a class and not have fun with the game and then play another class and it rocks. That's what happened to me. Titan Quest was the same also though redistributing points in Borderlands is dirt cheap and allows for experimenting. Also give the game a chance until you start to develop your abilities.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Completed Dead Island in bro-op today. I enjoyed it, but I don't want to see another Meals on Wheels "I need food, brah" quest ever again in my life. Get your own damn noodles, people.

It's a mediocre loot game because it focuses on having thousands of variations of the same weapons, all of which feel equally awful to shoot because it's a mediocre shooting game too.

I like you.

Aselith

I've looked back a bit, but any impressions on borderlands? Worth a go at 5 quid? I'm trying to remember what the gaf consensus was of it at the time, but draw a blank.

Do you like shooting shit and then getting other shit to shoot from it? If yes then you should buy it. If not then you should not. I liked it a whole lot, a lot of other people liked it a whole lot, chances are you will too.

It's not really made for PC but it's also not bad on PC other than a UI that doesn't work as well on PC what with being designed for consoles. I'd suggest playing it with a 360 controller like a lot of console ports if you're going to play it.

It's definitely worth 5 dollars.

It's a mediocre loot game because it focuses on having thousands of variations of the same weapons, all of which feel equally awful to shoot because it's a mediocre shooting game too. The environments are bland and repetitive, the enemies are bland and repetitive, the skill-trees are all but worthless and the same goes for the classes. There is no story whatsoever, the little robot makes me want to punch babies, the UI on PC is horrible.

If co-op weren't broken at launch I might not hate it so much, but after 8 hours of the singleplayer game I wanted to find Randy Pitchford and spank him with wet lettuce.

Borderlands is the only game that I've played that didn't feel like a video game at all. It was just... there.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Its 5$. No reason to feel remorse, since its exactly why we use and love steam.

If you hate it, its only 5$. You can't get these deals with physical retailers most of the time(Exceptions do apply).

And if you like it, you got a fantastic game for a cheap price.

I personally loved the game and I played my first playthrough on my own. I got immersed in the world and despite the weapons not having enough visual variety I got obsessed with finding better ones. I paid full price for it when it came out and had a lot of fun with it. I put so many hours into it that I definitely got my money's worth, and I've only played one of the DLC packs. It's so cheap right now so you're not taking a big risk.

It's funny, I disliked Borderlands but I didn't realise that it was so polarising. For a game I found very bland, it certainly brings out some passionate feelings.

Aselith

It's funny, I disliked Borderlands but I didn't realise that it was so polarising. For a game I found very bland, it certainly brings out some passionate feelings.

I don't know why strong feelings about the game would surprise you considering the hate on you have for it. I haven't yet seen you miss an opportunity to express your feelings of hatred for the game in the Steam thread.

I don't know why strong feelings about the game would surprise you considering the hate-on you have for it. I haven't yet seen you miss an opportunity to express your feelings of hatred for the game in the Steam thread.

Actually, that was precisely my point! I have a massive hate-on for it like you said, I'm surprised that there are actually people who agree with me. I know that a lot of people don't agree with me, the game did really well and most comments on GAF are quite positive, so it's surprising to see a handful of people had similar feelings.

Also, I've never denied that my hatred for the game is particularly white-hot because of the fact that Randy Pitchford was extremely dishonest about how much effort was being put into the PC version of the game, and because co-op was almost totally broken at launch.

Neki

tried playing Dawn of War II with my friend, kept getting "Host has lost connection, timed out". Windows Live is so shit.

Blizzard

Banned
I liked the concept of Borderlands, and the art style a bit, but trying to get co-op to work at launch was so horrible that I am kind of sad I paid (nearly?) full price.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Aside from co-op, are you liking the game? Definitely one of my favourites of the last few years.
Yeah, I dig the visual style of the game and I love the ridiculous nature of the missions.

My friend and I are both playing females (we didn't plan this) and one of the side missions had me servicing a guy in the back of my friends car. I felt appropriately degraded.

Volcynika

Yeah, I dig the visual style of the game and I love the ridiculous nature of the missions.

My friend and I are both playing females (we didn't plan this) and one of the side missions had me servicing a guy in the back of my friends car. I felt appropriately degraded.

Hahahaha.

I love that the whole game can be co-op'd.

The visuals are so great. I wasn't expecting to like them so much but there are places in Steelport (like the Times Square type area just north of Saints HQ) which I really enjoy driving/flying/running around in. And no matter how sure you are after you finish a mission that they won't be able to top it, the game will work extra-hard to prove you wrong.

lol GOTY for sure.

The visuals are so great. I wasn't expecting to like them so much but there are places in Steelport (like the Times Square type area just north of Saints HQ) which I really enjoy driving/flying/running around in. And no matter how sure you are after you finish a mission that they won't be able to top it, the game will work extra-hard to prove you wrong.

lol GOTY for sure.

Well great moving this up in the wishlist so when I get chosen by valve to get the 10 free games for their Daily Wishlist Giveaway I will be sure to get it!

Yeah, I admit it. I've been trying Brink. It could be soooo good. The art style, the tech, the team play... it's all there... But no. Not there. Also, why does my guy run like a penguin? Worst 1st person run animation EVER. SO BAD. :|

Tribes Ascend Beta, however, makes up for Brink's failings.

wutwutwut

2K's gone full-Steamworks, so there's hope for Borderlands 2. It's shocking how much better Steam matchmaking/networking is than anything else, at least on PC.

plc268

You know, the funny thing is, is that I agree with your assessment 100%, yet I still managed to put in 60 hours into the game. I don't know why, but something was addictive about it. It wasn't the loot, because that sucked, but probably the leveling system. It's how MMOs suck me in, no matter how boring they are.

I guess I have a problem. Heh.

2K's gone full-Steamworks, so there's hope for Borderlands 2. It's shocking how much better Steam matchmaking/networking is than anything else, at least on PC.

I think they were saying on the bombcast that Borderlands 2 will definitely be steamworks.

I enjoyed borderlands to a degree since it was with 3 good buddies, but we constantly struggled against gamespy. Also it's bullshit that if everyone isn't on the exact same place in the game then people don't get progress in their own games. Developers have to stop caring about that shit and copy what saints row the third does. (which is to say, it doesn't give a fuck and doesn't punish you for wanting to play with your friends)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom