• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former Pay MMOs, normally lock out characters, classes, etc. You have to either get back on the pay model to open everything or specifically purchase them. Age of Conan and LOTRO do the same.

I just got an email that I have silver status in EQ2, aparently I had an account I must have forgotten about. I don't know what silver status means but it has to be good right? And IF I play it there are bound to be benefits...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I just got an email that I have silver status in EQ2, aparently I had an account I must have forgotten about. I don't know what silver status means but it has to be good right? And IF I play it there are bound to be benefits...

I can give you a hint on how to find out.

Google. Takes 3 seconds, Already found the answer myself which each tier and this is from someone who never played the game.

I got an extra copy of Bastion and I'm giving it away on Twitter, I'm not sure if I can whore my Twitter account here or not.

Also, I got a copy of the game, with soundtrack, for me. :3

Blizzard

Banned
Hey, I have a coupon...

railworks%20coupon.png

Have: 50% OFF RailSimulator Title or DLC

Want: Anything that is not this coupon. ANYTHING. A TF2 Sandvich or something.

Coupon is good till the 12th. Works on Game and the DLC.
I already used mine to buy Trains vs. Zombies Railworks DLC like Joe Molotov!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
God, New Vegas with some mods is so fucking good. So. Fucking. Good.

d[-_-]b;33276815 said:
So verdict on bastion? I'm on the fence lol...

Try the demo. I wasn't feeling that at all, so I'll pass on the full thing.

Card Boy

Banned
d[-_-]b;33276815 said:
So verdict on bastion? I'm on the fence lol...

Personally i didnt like it that much. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

It does everything right except the gameplay is boring as batshit. Only reason it gets 8 out of 10 is for its story, narration, art-style and music.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, Bastion is all about style over substance. Apparently a lot of people think it's awesome, so what do I know, but I found the gameplay (which is almost all combat) pretty one dimensional and the repetition turned me off before I got to the end. I lost interest after the mission that put me up against like 20 waves of enemies. It wasn't difficult or anything like that, just lazily designed and tedious. The visuals and music were wonderful, but I didn't enjoy playing it at all. Maybe I'll pick it up again some day but I'm not a fan of what I've played.

Blizzard

Banned
lol games industry
It seems to me he's being quite objective -- he acknowledges the strong points of the game, admits that it has high quality in most areas, but says that he personally did not like it much. He mentions the gameplay was boring to him, and someone else gave a similar opinion.

Aselith

It seems to me he's being quite objective -- he acknowledges the strong points of the game, admits that it has high quality in most areas, but says that he personally did not like it much. He mentions the gameplay was boring to him, and someone else gave a similar opinion.

If he didn't find it enjoyable it should have been a lower score. Just laughing once again at the industry's 7-10 scale. Scores and reviews are inherently subjective, you can acknowledge good points and still be true to your opinion of the game.

I don't disagree with his points as I haven't played the game yet but 8/10 being not an enjoyable game is hilarious to me.

Blizzard

Banned
If he didn't find it enjoyable it should have been a lower score. Just laughing once again at the industry's 7-10 scale. Scores and reviews are inherently subjective, you can acknowledge good points and still be true to your opinion of the game.

I don't disagree with his points as I haven't played the game yet but 8/10 being not an enjoyable game is hilarious to me.
I just don't agree with that. Take a more exaggerated example:

American football games. It could be the very best NFL game that has ever come out, with great graphics and announcing and rosters and whatnot, and have practically NO flaws, and I would still not want to purchase it or play it. Even if I did play it, I might not enjoy it since I'm hardly ever interested in sports games. Does that mean that, if I'm a reviewer, I should punish it with a low score just because I don't enjoy the game?

Aselith

I just don't agree with that. Take a more exaggerated example:

American football games. It could be the very best NFL game that has ever come out, with great graphics and announcing and rosters and whatnot, and have practically NO flaws, and I would still not want to purchase it or play it. Even if I did play it, I might not enjoy it since I'm hardly ever interested in sports games. Does that mean that, if I'm a reviewer, I should punish it with a low score just because I don't enjoy the game?

If you are giving a personal review of it (which is what he was doing)? For sure.

However since he never said "but I don't enjoy games like this usually" I'd assume that's not actually the issue here anyways.

Ok how about this then

Gameplay - 5 out of 10
Sound - 10 out of 10
Presentation 10 out 10

?

Sure but that's not what I was laughing at.

I can see why people wouldn't like the gameplay because I understand how it'd be average. And while I agree, it reminded me of a couple of older isometric games, LandStalker and its sequel Dark Savior, both games that I love so there's some nostalgia there for me with Bastion in regards to its gameplay.

Blizzard

Banned
If you are giving a personal review of it (which is what he was doing)? For sure.

However since he never said "but I don't enjoy games like this usually" I'd assume that's not actually the issue here anyways.
Right, I was just pointing out that I think it's possible to call something a good game without enjoying it much.

I like that his new 25/30 rating still comes out to 8/10 unless we weight categories. =D

Aselith

Right, I was just pointing out that I think it's possible to call something a good game without enjoying it much.

I like that his new 25/30 rating still comes out to 8/10 unless we weight categories. =D

All righty well then Bastion is a very good pick up according, Mr. Gez, because the astounding presentation and soundtrack make a 5 into an 8. We're agreed that he must buy it then, yes?

Blizzard

Banned
All righty well then Bastion is a very good pick up according, Mr. Gez, because the astounding presentation and soundtrack make a 5 into an 8. We're agreed that he must buy it then, yes?
My interpretation from Gez and other people in this thread is that though the presentation and soundtrack are astounding, the gameplay may bore some people. Since there is fortunately a demo available, everyone can try for themselves to see whether the overall package seems like a match for their tastes. :)

Reviews are opinions. Reviewers should not write from another person's point of view. They should write from their own point of view. If they fucking hate a game, they say they hate it, even if someone else might love it.

STOP IT.

I like the gameplay in Bastion. It is sufficiently fun.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

You respect its merits even if you don't enjoy it much. Seems like a pretty common rationale.

Aselith

My interpretation from Gez and other people in this thread is that though the presentation and soundtrack are astounding, the gameplay may bore some people. Since there is fortunately a demo available, everyone can try for themselves to see whether the overall package seems like a match for their tastes. :)

I would submit that I feel like saying a game is boring and then rating it an 8 is like a girl saying she is repulsed by you but giving you a blowjob anyways but hey, that's me.

Reviews are opinions. Reviewers should not write from another person's point of view. They should write from their own point of view. If they fucking hate a game, they say they hate it, even if someone else might love it.

STOP IT.

I approve of this message.

Bastion is one of those games that you buy only if you beaten all other games you already have, because even though its a good game, it really isnt interesting enough that you should choose it over games you already paid for and need to play.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
saw Bastion in the TIME top 10 games of 2011, saw the cheap price on steam, so I want to buy it. But I'm at work and the offer expires before I'll get home. I've logged into the steam website but prices are all in dollars (I'm in the UK). Can I just buy or do I have to change a setting somewhere?

STOP IT.

If you can see something is good but a certain part isn't for you, you could give the thing a good store. For example, in the show Downton Abbey, I consider almost everything about it to be top notch but I don't like the Edwardian setting. Should I call this a bad show despite being clearly able to see the good parts?

Game reviews are even more nebulous than film seeing as they're a combination of product and art.

It's all fine and dandy if you see it that way and feel the need to state those things. If you don't see it that way, or don't feel it's important, there's no reason you should act otherwise. There are certainly many times throughout my life where I have encountered a piece of entertainment that contained both things I like and dislike, and I will explain them as I see fit. There are also times where I will go, "I can see the appeal, but it's not for me!" Great! Those times are great. Sometimes, though, I will play a game and hate it hate it hate it and not understand why anyone could like it even a little, yet it turns out it's one of the more popular games in recent history. I'm not going to change my "review" (if in fact I actually wrote reviews) because of this fact.

But you shouldn't score a game* higher just because there are good things about it if you didn't actually enjoy your time with it. That's no longer an opinion. That's all I'm saying.

And on the other side, picking apart someone's opinion because you don't agree with it is a waste of everyone's time. That's why they're called opinions. Reviews are especially worthless when all they do is state facts. If I wanted facts, I would go to the game's official website.

*I should've ended it here, because scores are silly in the first place, but what're you gonna do.

...I apologize for this rant. I'm tired. I'm going to bed. Rip me a new one, SEE IF I CARE.

Volcynika

It's all fine and dandy if you see it that way and feel the need to state those things. If you don't see it that way, or don't feel it's important, there's no reason you should act otherwise. There are certainly many times throughout my life where I have encountered a piece of entertainment that contained both things I like and dislike, and I will explain them as I see fit. There are also times where I will go, "I can see the appeal, but it's not for me!" Great! Those times are great. Sometimes, though, I will play a game and hate it hate it hate it and not understand why anyone could like it even a little, yet it turns out it's one of the more popular games in recent history. I'm not going to change my "review" (if in fact I actually wrote reviews) because of this fact.

But you shouldn't score a game* higher just because there are good things about it if you didn't actually enjoy your time with it. That's no longer an opinion. That's all I'm saying.

And on the other side, picking apart someone's opinion because you don't agree with it is a waste of everyone's time. That's why they're called opinions. Reviews are especially worthless when all they do is state facts. If I wanted facts, I would go to the game's official website.

*I should've ended it here, because scores are silly in the first place, but what're you gonna do.

...I apologize for this rant. I'm tired. I'm going to bed. Rip me a new one, SEE IF I CARE.

Twig sux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom