• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

It's all fine and dandy if you see it that way and feel the need to state those things. If you don't see it that way, or don't feel it's important, there's no reason you should act otherwise. There are certainly many times throughout my life where I have encountered a piece of entertainment that contained both things I like and dislike, and I will explain them as I see fit. There are also times where I will go, "I can see the appeal, but it's not for me!" Great! Those times are great. Sometimes, though, I will play a game and hate it hate it hate it and not understand why anyone could like it even a little, yet it turns out it's one of the more popular games in recent history. I'm not going to change my "review" (if in fact I actually wrote reviews) because of this fact.

But you shouldn't score a game* higher just because there are good things about it if you didn't actually enjoy your time with it. That's no longer an opinion. That's all I'm saying.

And on the other side, picking apart someone's opinion because you don't agree with it is a waste of everyone's time. That's why they're called opinions. Reviews are especially worthless when all they do is state facts. If I wanted facts, I would go to the game's official website.

*I should've ended it here, because scores are silly in the first place, but what're you gonna do.

...I apologize for this rant. I'm tired. I'm going to bed. Rip me a new one, SEE IF I CARE.

pro.png

A rant worth reading, and the asterix adds non-linearity and re-readabilty!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So today I decided to finally play more than 15 minutes of The Witcher 2 and noticed that CDPR still haven't fixed the issue of the Steam overlay no longer working.

It's been over two months since they rolled out TW2's 2.0 update.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is no way to re-sell games once you've bought them right? And presumably they have some rules against you transferring your account to someone else?

Half thinking to mothball my PC as its not getting the use to warrant its cost, which could be used elsewhere. But I still have a big steam backlog, many of which were bought on the spur of the moment recently.

morningbus

What kind of game is Dear Esther even?

Exploration-focused first person adventure.

There is no way to re-sell games once you've bought them right? And presumably they have some rules against you transferring your account to someone else?

Half thinking to mothball my PC as its not getting the use to warrant its cost, which could be used elsewhere. But I still have a big steam backlog, many of which were bought on the spur of the moment recently.

Once a game is tied to your account, there is currently no way to trade it. It may be possible to avoid this in the future, using a secondary Steam account to gift yourself games and then leaving them in your inventory until the times comes when you feel like playing it. But, currently, no way to trade off games. Selling your account, as you suspected, is against the TOS and, if caught, Valve may nuke the account.

I don't understand the last part of your post, though. Are you talking about the cost for the electricity to run your PC? If you've already spent the money on it, you might as well keep it around.

Haha, that may very well be CDPR's rationale.

It really isn't a game that I'm that bothered by not having the overlay. I don't want to chat etc when I play a game like that.

The only time it was a pain was when I wasn't sure what to do or to find out info etc, alt-tabbing feels so 2005, man.

Not making excuses, it should be there, but yeah, with an RPG like that it's not that big of a deal I don't think.

JaseC

It really isn't a game that I'm that bothered by not having the overlay. I don't want to chat etc when I play a game like that.

The only time it was a pain was when I wasn't sure what to do or to find out info etc, alt-tabbing feels so 2005, man.

Not making excuses, it should be there, but yeah, with an RPG like that it's not that big of a deal I don't think.

Well, I only use the overlay to check the time and respond to messages (generally, I find the browser to be a little too sluggish while in-game), so much like yourself I don't consider it much of a loss.

I waited for the big patch so I'm not against waiting for fixes, but the overlay seems like a silly thing to avoid the game for. Especially since it might actually not get fixed!

JaseC

Years back, I gave my two previous Steam accounts to mates for the purpose of CS 1.6 (all the accounts contained were GoldSrc games). Really, there's no way for Valve to ascertain that you've given an account away unless you're stupid enough to advertise the transaction somewhere.

Edit: Oh, and the answer to your first question is a definite "no" (or, "yes, that's correct" :p).

morningbus

I'm trying to figure out if that fundamentally boils down to "Maze".

Okay, *pretty* maze.

It's a bit more than that, though. There are parts of the story you can miss and the story can change depending on how you play the game.

Almost any game can be boiled down to "maze," really.

Blizzard

Banned
Considering that there are only three types of Steam thread posts:

1) When is the next sale?
2) Is Steam down for anyone else, I'm scared! Edit: Nevermind. It's back.
3) Damn, I can't believe I missed the sale!

I think someone reminding us that a game is coming out is the least of our worries here.
This isn't as all-inclusive as that big wheel chart with things like deleting clientregistry.blob, and the Steam account calculator, and so forth. And of course there's the "I could buy XYZ Game for $20, but what are the chances of it going on sale for $15.95 or less in the next 7 months?" question, but I guess that sorta comes under the category of "When is the next sale".

Blizzard

Banned
What kind of game is Dear Esther even?
You walk around paths and listen to narration. The earlier version had some really annoying noises. It seemed like it was trying to be very art nouveau and give hints at a nebulous story. If you're smart and artsy and can piece together a story from listening to narration as you walk through environments, then you may like it. I thought it was interesting but the sounds were so annoying and the story seemed so vague and out of order that I don't think I would want to pay for the new non-free version unless it was almost purely to look at updated graphics.

I can't remember if there were any platforming sections...I want to say that the game was completely a self-guided tour through an environment with no enemies and "gameplay" per se at all.

*edit* FUUUU double post.

Cross posting from RAGE thread because this is more active:

Okay so with

955 Black Edition @ 3.8ghz
6950 2gb
8GB RAM

Settings on 1080p, 2xAA, small texture cache and low AF, I'm getting 30fps. What the hell? For such an underwhelming game graphically, especially with the horrendous texture pop-in, it should be running fine.

Any ideas?

Also, is there nothing you can do still about the pop-in? It's already doing my head in after 10 mins.

Any help would be appreciated!

morningbus

This isn't as all-inclusive as that big wheel chart with things like deleting clientregistry.blob, and the Steam account calculator, and so forth. And of course there's the "I could buy XYZ Game for $20, but what are the chances of it going on sale for $15.95 or less in the next 7 months?" question, but I guess that sorta comes under the category of "When is the next sale".

I missed the "anyone wanna go in on a 4-pack to save 12 cents?" post type, too. But then again, it is hard to be all things to all people. C'est la vie.

MRORANGE

don't forgot:
should I get the DLC? my backlog is getting big,
I just bought over X amount of games! wooh!,
I bought x amount of games for y amount, steam sales are great!

plc268

Terrible game, not worth it.

Campaign is *awful*, multiplayer is mediocre and pretty much dead at this point.

Yep. Unfortunately I bought it at full price. Ugh.

FWIW, the story starts out interesting, but goes nowhere. It's your standard follow the leader COD fare, but while COD will last you 5-6 hours, Homefront barely lasts 3-4.

You can also start downloading Killing Floor if you want to check it out this weekend, although the Weekend Deal hasn't appeared yet on the frontpage.

First time I'm in for a free weekend since MNC, I really wanted to try it!

EDIT: Yeah, my Store doesn't work either.

XeroSauce

Killing Floor is also 75% off ($5)

Fantastic game with quite a few servers and there's always people willing to play.

Do it. Follow your heart.

Also, if I get some funds and Bastion goes on sale again during Christmas, I'm personally going to hand out a few copies of that game. Pure gold, it was.

Skyrim Goes to Level 3 (RPS)
Favorite part:

"It does offer “General stability improvements”, who coincidentally was a man I served under in the army in the 1940s."

I love RPS.

Page finally loaded for me. I'm entered to win!

Fantastic game with quite a few servers and there's always people willing to play.

Do it. Follow your heart.

Also, if I get some funds and Bastion goes on sale again during Christmas, I'm personally going to hand out a few copies of that game. Pure gold, it was.

Skyrim Goes to Level 3 (RPS)
Favorite part:

I love RPS.

You're the only one of my friends to have posted a review of Homefront, and I thought it was hilarious.

XeroSauce's Homefront review said:
I do not recommend this game whatsoever. The story is godawful, the graphics aren't great, it has texture issues, the multiplayer is dead and unbalanced, and it is a crappy game overall. One of the worst shooters I have ever played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom