• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolS

Quick question: Always wanted to try Oblivion. Will this probably be cheaper during the Holdiday sale or can I get it now?

Narag

Quick question: Always wanted to try Oblivion. Will this probably be cheaper during the Holdiday sale or can I get it now?

$5 is typically as low as it goes. You can test your luck and hope it's lower or at least $5 again (which it might be) or just snag it now.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
$5 is typically as low as it goes. You can test your luck and hope it's lower or at least $5 again (which it might be) or just snag it now.

I said it prior, the reason they could be doing these current daily sales is to make more room for other titles. Most of the titles that have gone on sale so far, have been titles that do very well(Or seem to be popular choices) and at discounts I'd expect they would have for the Holiday sale.

Oblivion isn't going to go cheaper till they drop the MSRP down. 75% off is normally the max titles hit with the occasional few exceeding that ala Alpha Protocol.

MNC

So, who here has alot of games from last winter sale and hasn't even installed them once.

Guilty as motherfucking charged. Oblivion GOTY is one of those games, so I was reminded.

Mulligan

Banned
So after just building a gaming rig and installing steam, i've come to the realization that i have no steam friends to play with as all my friends play consoles. If anyone is feeling charitable and has room on their friends list i'd appreciate it. I play mainly new vegas and left 4 dead atm, but with the steam winter sale incoming i'm sure that will change. :)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I don't even remember what I bought last year. Fuck, I don't even remember what I bought last month. I'm sure it was all awesome though!

Outside of a few older titles (sup, Morrowind) I don't really want much this upcoming sale. I'll most likely just buy stuff for my asshole friends who don't know what to check out.

1-D_FTW

The car handling in Mafia 2 made the driving pretty enjoyable. Especially early on when the roads were icy.

Same. And I put the driving model on realistic.

Not only that, but I drove with the gas pedal mashed to the floor and never slowed for lights. Made the trips entertaining to say the least.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't even remember what I bought last year. Fuck, I don't even remember what I bought last month. I'm sure it was all awesome though!

Outside of a few older titles (sup, Morrowind) I don't really want much this upcoming sale. I'll most likely just buy stuff for my asshole friends who don't know what to check out.

Morrowind is also gonna be on sale? Where can I see such as list?

Both Morrowind and Oblivion are on my wish list. I'm not extremely eager to play them right now (playing Skyrim now), but I would like to have them in my library. Should I buy Oblivion now and then Morrowind when it supposedly goes on sale, or is there a chance to get them cheaper if I wait?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Both Morrowind and Oblivion are on my wish list. I'm not extremely eager to play them right now (playing Skyrim now), but I would like to have them in my library. Should I buy Oblivion now and then Morrowind when it supposedly goes on sale, or is there a chance to get them cheaper if I wait?

You may as well buy Oblivion now, considering it's the GOTY version it's definitely not getting any cheaper.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You may as well buy Oblivion now, considering it's the GOTY version it's definitely not getting any cheaper.

Ok, might just do that then...

I really couldn't get into Oblivion when I tried it a few years ago. Mostly I hated the Oblivion gates. But now I'm playing and absolutely loving Skyrim, so I'm thinking I might be able to appreciate Oblivion more now. On the other hand, going from Skyrim to Oblivion might not be a great idea, due to the many improvements made between them. So I'm a bit torn.

Also, is the extra DLC you get with the GOTY Deluxe edition worth the money?

The car handling in Mafia 2 made the driving pretty enjoyable. Especially early on when the roads were icy.

Yeah. I thought the driving model was cool but there was probably a bit too much of it. The one thing it did do a good job at is reminding me how shitty life was without mobile phones.

Oreoleo

He's just being hopeful, as Morrowind has never been on sale for a decent price. In contrast to Oblivion which is $5 every other week it seems. Some of us have been waiting for $5 Morrowind for a long, long time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
He's just being hopeful, as Morrowind has never been on sale for a decent price. In contrast to Oblivion which is $5 every other week it seems. Some of us have been waiting for $5 Morrowind for a long, long time.

I see. Well, let's hope for that then!

The_Monk

I really couldn't get into Oblivion when I tried it a few years ago. Mostly I hated the Oblivion gates. But now I'm playing and absolutely loving Skyrim, so I'm thinking I might be able to appreciate Oblivion more now. On the other hand, going from Skyrim to Oblivion might not be a great idea, due to the many improvements made between them. So I'm a bit torn.

If you do not want to play it now why buy it now? I guess you can wait, people say it's not going to get cheaper but nobody knows that (unless xelios is Gabe personal friend)

And I'm with you, for me Oblivion Gates were the worst in Oblivion. Just wait, or... buy it if you really want it now. Patience is a virtue I guess :)

Besides I think it might be a little hard to go back to Oblivion now with Skyrim, you really must intend to play it to get over with Skyrim superiority (when comparing to Oblivion). Also: MODS.

Oblivion can be massively improved by the huge amount of mods available for it. Ledsen maintains an excellent thread which is well worth visiting prior to a purchase.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
people say it's not going to get cheaper but nobody knows that (unless xelios is Gabe personal friend)

It's $20 retail for the game and its expansions, just like Morrowind, a much older game. It's 75% off, the largest discount games get besides freak stuff like Alpha Protocol. It's not going to get any cheaper than $5. Also according to Steam price history it's only been reduced to $5 for the first time last month.

I know. Disappointing for sure.

I hope SSFIV:AE gets a good cut during the holiday sale. Capcom doesn't have a great track record for that though.

SSFIV:AE was on sale yesterday at Amazon for $16, I wanted the steam version but there was no way I could pass that up, most likely the steam version will be $20, so getting it for under $20 was a steal, won't see under $20 until next year..

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I miss Salsa :(

Anyway, does this mean the X-Mas achievements will be like the summer tickets/treasure hunt tickets?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you do not want to play it now why buy it now? I guess you can wait, people say it's not going to get cheaper but nobody knows that (unless xelios is Gabe personal friend)

And I'm with you, for me Oblivion Gates were the worst in Oblivion. Just wait, or... buy it if you really want it now. Patience is a virtue I guess :)

Besides I think it might be a little hard to go back to Oblivion now with Skyrim, you really must intend to play it to get over with Skyrim superiority (when comparing to Oblivion). Also: MODS.

Hmm, you're right. I should probably get done with Skyrim first, and then decide whether or not I still want to play Oblivion.

Derrick01

Banned

Morrowind was $10 during the autumn sale but it was never a daily. I chose to get bulletstorm instead because I've already played Morrowind, but I still want it for a fair price. Less than $5 that is. The game's old as fuck now it shouldn't be $10 or higher.

Boss Doggie

On the contrary, there are some things I like over Oblivion that were underwhelming in Skyrim.

For instance, the quests are actually more fulfilling and varied, especially the guild and main quests. And while the Oblivion Gates are repetitive, at least the rewards are rather satisfying as opposed to fighting Dragons which become lame since they are so easy to go down. Most of the towns are also different as opposed to Skyrim only having 4 towns being different. Custom magic is much more welcome than the limited magic in Skyrim. And of course, a much more diverse race count.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Morrowind was $10 during the autumn sale but it was never a daily. I chose to get bulletstorm instead because I've already played Morrowind, but I still want it for a fair price. Less than $5 that is. The game's old as fuck now it shouldn't be $10 or higher.

Yeah, I won't buy that game (nor Oblivion) for more than €5.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
On the contrary, there are some things I like over Oblivion that were underwhelming in Skyrim.

For instance, the quests are actually more fulfilling and varied, especially the guild and main quests. And while the Oblivion Gates are repetitive, at least the rewards are rather satisfying as opposed to fighting Dragons which become lame since they are so easy to go down. Most of the towns are also different as opposed to Skyrim only having 4 towns being different. Custom magic is much more welcome than the limited magic in Skyrim. And of course, a much more diverse race count.
And the busted-ass arrow flight pattern in Skyrim. You can fix it with an ini entry, but it's soooo weird by default.

Boss Doggie

Ah yeah, stupid arrow flight.

I wonder what's next in line for daily deal? And have sales, particularly during summer/x-mas sales, have gone to prices daily deals normally don't go to?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ah yeah, stupid arrow flight.
If you haven't fixed it yet...

f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.8
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.8

Under [Combat] in Skyrim.ini made it perfect to me.

I wonder what's next in line for daily deal? And have sales, particularly during summer/x-mas sales, have gone to prices daily deals normally don't go to?
Yes. They sometimes go to 80-90% off, like Alpha Protocol did during Sega week. That might happen on a daily for a small game, but rarely for anything remotely high profile. For summer/christmas sales, all bets are off. I'm even hopeful for Sonic Generations hitting 75% off already. Shit gets crazy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So now I know why Nightsky was initially rejected on Steam...

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649873533948113185/B2FA86F9BDFCDCAF5C48CAFC41038011B2167E05/

Wasn't Valve being evil or arbitrary, the game just runs at super low resolution and has no scaling options, just surrounds the game area with enormous black borders if you go fullscreen. Also no gamepad support.

Despite that, seems neat.

Yeah, Nabs and I called that after trying out the demo when the guy was crying about being rejected on Steam. I mean what kind of PC is he building on that he makes assests for 320x240?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, Nabs and I called that after trying out the demo when the guy was crying about being rejected on Steam. I mean what kind of PC is he building on that he makes assests for 320x240?

It was ported from this:

VA3d3.jpg

kswiston

It's $20 retail for the game and its expansions, just like Morrowind, a much older game. It's 75% off, the largest discount games get besides freak stuff like Alpha Protocol. It's not going to get any cheaper than $5. Also according to Steam price history it's only been reduced to $5 for the first time last month.

Ya, I think the fact that we have had two recent $5 sales since Skyrim's release has everyone's mind clouded. Bethesda hates giving Steam fans good deals, and typically discounts their stuff 50-66%, even during daily deals. The exception to the rule seems to be titles that were outsourced.

$5 is the cheapest Oblivion has ever been. Most previous sales in the last 15 months have been 50-66% off. The only exceptions were two daily deals. One today, and one back when Skyrim was released.

I don't think Morrowind GOTY or Fallout 3 GOTY have been 75% off in the past year at least (If ever).

Don't know why the deal is getting so much hate, I've been waiting for Oblivion to hit this for a while and I missed the last time. Yay for me.

Is the extra DLC of the deluxe edition worth $1.25?

kafiend

So now I know why Nightsky was initially rejected on Steam...

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649873533948113185/B2FA86F9BDFCDCAF5C48CAFC41038011B2167E05/

Wasn't Valve being evil or arbitrary, the game just runs at super low resolution and has no scaling options, just surrounds the game area with enormous black borders if you go fullscreen. Also no gamepad support.

Despite that, seems neat.

There's a fixed .exe that makes the game properly fullscreen. http://www.ni2.se/temp/NightSky%20Tolerance25.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom