• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally got around to trying one of my Steam games some more -- VVVVVV. I don't like hard platformers and this falls under that category to me. Thankfully there are checkpoints in some places, but I am being OCD and trying to get the shiny collection things and the level names in one part of the game have me convinced the game creators are evil bastards.

Level name spoilers:
"What Lies Beneath", then you jump down, then "Spikes" (entire landing area is spikes, you die).

Also a huuuuuge area right after a computer terminal tells you heh, they'll never get this one, and there's a shiny collection thing right next to you blocked by a tiny block. Instead of climbing over to get it, you have to fly through about 6 screens full of spikes, which you just fell through part of in reverse order. Then as you go BACK up, the names are like, with explanations in parentheses:

Doing Things The Hard Way
Veni
Vedi
Vici! (simple screen)
Easy mode unlocked (fairly simple screen)
Your Bitter Tears...Delicious (you die horribly here)
Getting Here Is Half The Fun (or something like that, at which point you have to react really quickly and do ALL OF THE SCREENS in reverse order, which I'm not sure I will ever achieve).

Aselith

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23530/?snr=1_4_4__13

i'm all over that game when it gets released. should be good ol fun.

Nice! I just got that in from Gamefly on 360. It's a good time. Big improvement over it's predecessor. I'm really surprised that they decided to do a PC release but that's fucking sweet. I hope they do I good port with all the usual PC accouterments.

Edit: Wait...on their website it says "Download today!" Does that mean they're releasing it today, today?

Edit2: Seems like they're doing it justice at least on the support side at least with a lot of additional content for purchase plus already released content for free in the base game. Hype! Now give me 1920x1080 and the full suite of tweaks and I'll Day 1 it.

http://www.destructoid.com/earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon-coming-to-steam-215368.phtml

Chesskid1

Banned
Dungeon Siege III is $4.95 on amazon DD , it's on the steam key list and someone said it was steamworks on another forum (cheapass), can't confirm but looks good.

it was $20 in steam sale like a week ago.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054SFKUS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i've put about 11 hours in with a friend and it was pretty good, need to schedule some time and beat it. def worth it.

edit: and dungeon defenders $2.99 if you dont have it already.

www.amazon.com/Trendy-Entertainment-40829n-Defenders1-Defenders/dp/B005VFHOOE/

Dungeon Siege III is $4.95 on amazon DD , it's on the steam key list and someone said it was steamworks on another forum (cheapass), can't confirm but looks good.

i've put about 11 hours in with a friend and it was pretty good, need to schedule some time and beat it. def worth it.

I know people from outside the US can buy this by entering a random US delivery address.
Has anone here done this before? Any risks or problems I could encounter by "cheating" Amazon that way?

R1CHO

I know people from outside the US can buy this by entering a random US delivery address.
Has anone here done this before? Any risks or problems I could encounter by "cheating" Amazon that way?

I dont know, i bought deus ex that way... but i used a NYC postal code, somebody can tell me a state without taxes?

R1CHO

I use Oregon (OR) on PSN, no taxes. :)

Thanks, i googled it and used delawere, already have the key :D

PS: They are giving me 9$ off for the preorder of Amalur and another 5$ off for another dd game.

PS2: Its steamworks yeah, you can see that in the amazon product description.

Thanks for the heads up. Jumped on Dungeon Defenders.

Sorry a bit off topic but mfw my free IGN copy of BF3 is still in my account and playable :)

Mine is still in my account as well. But I guess it's just a matter of time.

Regarding this issue, according to some guy on Steamgifts, if your copy of BF3 get's removed and you want to buy the game, you'll have to make another Origin account in order to play it.

I can't confirm this, but this would suck if true.

anddo0

wow $5?

I'm in

SmokinDan

Thanks for the heads up about DS3. Bought it.

It's only $5. How bad could it be?

Although, I said the same thing about Kane and Lynch 2 and that was the biggest pile of shit I've played in my life.

MRORANGE

These achievements are for the Steam Holiday sale, at this momemnt Killing Floor is on a free weekend, so you can get these achievements right now.

Killing Floor

63063228d441de7d71e048a2304d8ab0e0734d5f.jpg

Burning Irony
Kill 15 Husks with the Husk Cannon

51316d63c9c6f64a942716132f84450b82cff9df.jpg

Highlander
Kill a Scrake, a Fleshpound, and the Patriarch with the Claymore Sword within one map

5b69d793d7af188062c1c28261e1f163ad354a4b.jpg

Bloody Yanks
Kill 1 specimen ONLY while expending a full M4 Assault Rifle magazine

8d2b93c3455982103a994caf1d2d5504216837e6.jpg

Finish Him
Hit a Scrake with the M203 Rifle grenade to kill him

f98ad34d7e5cbf5e483e685c6aacce2502b56a39.jpg

I love ze Healing not ze Hurting
Heal others for 3000 points of health with the MP5 SMG

63d59455de44b412cc48515ef02e0753c142421d.jpg

Italian Meat Pasta
Kill 12 zeds with a full magazine from the Combat Shotgun

2e449e18ede31f6b9949dfb2b6034f5b21d7b555.jpg

Feeling Lucky?
Kill a specimen with every shot from your Revolver for one magazine

b16f3f265a498795e0994d173d6bb45c2f417263.jpg

We Have Ourselves a Cowboy
Hold dual 9mm, dual hand cannons and Dual Revolvers

bac6cda51558e3b7bf3230acabe51b5e074887e6.jpg

Snow Cone
Beat Ice Cave on Normal

7a77a53f618fd59b0173206fde94379c32307f2d.jpg

Stay Frosty
Beat Ice Cave on Hard

d09cabd642eaf40b24e6492bed028176d85175ed.jpg

On the Rocks
Beat Ice Cave on Suicidal

d50d81fc5f4e11906d215d2c7bf578ace482f411.jpg

Anti Freeze
Beat Ice Cave on Hell on Earth

4d0073a6d689303ba13e7c50767b9070dc94b0cf.jpg

A Bloody Christmas Carol
Kill 15 XMas Clots, 5 xmas Stalkers, 5 XMas Crawlers, 1 XMas Siren and 1 XMas Bloat.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
This mindset will lose you a lot of money during a Steam holiday sale.

If you save just for the Steam sales all year, you don't have to worry about 5$ breaking the budget. Heh.

DS3 is solid enough. Game runs well and plays well, but its nothing special. Its definitely Obsidian's least ambitious game, but most bug free.

Oreoleo

Hey GAF, how many games are usually on the Xmas Steam sale? Just curious...

ALL OF THEM.

Seriously, if you check the number of specials during the sale, it will be over a thousand.
And there's typically something like 12 daily deals every day for two weeks, so.

Spl1nter

X Superbox is on sale today on gamersgate (75% off).

X3: Terran Conflict looks like can be activated on steam, but I'm not sure about the other games in the bundle.

I would say wait for the steam sale and only buy x3 terran conflict, it builds on the previous games, making them useless.

edit: looks like a new x3 game, albion prelude, is being released on the 15th. Seems like X rebirth was pushed back to sometime 2012. Game was only announced on the 7th.

For owners of the X Superbox, X3: Albion Prelude will be available as a free download on Steam, while for owners of X3: Terran Conflict it will be available at the 'add-on' price of €9.99. For players new to the series, X3: Terran Conflict and X3: Albion Prelude will be available for purchase as a bundle. Time your purchase right and you could enjoy substantial discounts in the Steam holiday sale too!

I guess you should buy the superbox then or wait for the steam sale as they say.

The_Monk

ALL OF THEM.

Seriously, if you check the number of specials during the sale, it will be over a thousand.
And there's typically something like 12 daily deals every day for two weeks, so.

Thanks for answering.

So can we expect a lot of games on sale on the December 19th, like a list of them, and then will be even more games as daily deals or those games from that list will be even cheaper if, on a daily deal?

Sorry is the question is stupid..

Oreoleo

So can we expect a lot of games on sale on the December 19th, like a list of them, and then will be even more games as daily deals or those games from that list will be even cheaper if, on a daily deal?

Yes. Though there will be room for exceptions, of course. Typically games that end up as daily deals are 25-50% off for the two weeks, and during the daily deal will be more like 66-75% off.

This is why you see a lot of people saying to wait until the last day of a sale to buy anything that isn't a daily deal: It always has the potential to be discounted even more.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Thanks for answering.

On the first day only buy the daily deals or small (indie) games that are already 75-90% off.
That's what I do. It has worked so far.

The_Monk

Thanks for answering guys. I guess I'm starting to understand all those Backlogs on PC and those Steam-rape-wallets.

I'm now curious to see what deals will be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom