• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused

Banned
Yeah,

I can confirm that Red Faction does fuck all on a modern videocard. Loads into a black screen of doom (DOOM I say.) which you can easily esc. out of.

confused said:
Yeah,

I can confirm that Red Faction does fuck all on a modern videocard. Loads into a black screen of doom (DOOM I say.) which you can easily esc. out of.

There's an awesome fan patch that will make it run. Lemme try and remember what it is. I had to use it, worked like a charm though.

Edit: Here...

http://purefaction.org/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Remember how all those FPS games came out after Doom and captured none of the magic and everyone called them shitty Doom clones? Well Red Faction 1 is just like that only replace Doom with Half-Life. It's generic and tedious.

Red Faction 2 manages to be even worse than RF1 as it is so blatantly designed for consoles from that era. Again, it's generic tedious shit with an even worse story.

Red Faction Guerilla is where things became interesting. The destruction actually plays a role in the game and it's still better than anything else out on the market. While Volition failed to make the open world interesting to explore, the missions are a ton of fun to blast through (make sure you choose Easy difficulty though) and the game is easily worth 5.00$.

Red Faction Armageddon tightens up the combat from RFG significantly and adds in an entertaining skill-leveling system while removing the open world nonsense. The result is a fun, beautiful third person shooter that controls immaculately. The story doesn't overstay it's welcome clocking in around 8-10 hours and they even included a new game plus that has a second set of weapons to unlock. I highly recommend it at 12.50$.

The Red Faction Armageddon DLC is pretty poor in comparison to the main game. The first level was a nifty homage to Return of the Jedi, but the rest are pretty boring. The new weapons are fantastic, but they can't be brought into the main game. It took me a little over an hour to wrap up the 4 levels. I say skip unless you are really wanting more after Armageddon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
confused said:
Sorry, I meant Red Faction 2. It says so on the store page and it IS true :(
I beat Red Faction 2 on Steam within the last month on a Win 7 64-bit, NV 460, i5 build. One level near the end would crash no matter what so I just skipped it.

confused

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I beat Red Faction 2 on Steam within the last month on a Win 7 64-bit, NV 460, i5 build. One level near the end would crash no matter what so I just skipped it.

I'm having no luck on a Phenom II X4+ Nv560. can't get it to boot at all.

Scythian

Wait, why aren't Stalker: Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat published by THQ and therefore, not included in the sale? I was waiting for a Stalker day to pick up COP :(

Anyway, I'm not really interested in the Red Faction games. What's so fun about them?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
confused said:
I'm having no luck on a Phenom II X4+ Nv560. can't get it to boot at all.
The only issue I had initially was the cd-rom error and I just took out the disk I had in to fix that.

Oh, I also installed that other patch from the page he just linked, but I did that before I started the game so I don't know that I would have had the issue it fixes.

Gav47

Red Faction plays fine on my GTX 470 but man is that game mediocre. I only bought it cause I had a slight twinge of nostalgia.

I kinda want Armageddon, 4 months and its already 75% off, I think I'd be OK with a more linear style as I never really went exploring in Guerrilla. But I am still interested in Homefront.
So I ask you RFA for 12.50 or Homefront for 7.50 (probably)?

svegis

Scythian said:
Wait, why aren't Stalker: Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat published by THQ and therefore, not included in the sale? I was waiting for a Stalker day to pick up COP :(

My guess is that, it is similar to the second expansion of Company of Heroes, Tales of Valor which is not in the THQ hits pack, either. Maybe they don't think it's that big of a hit, maybe they just want the first/second iterations or something like that, in the pack and not clog it up with all their games. Might still be a S.T.A.L.K.E.R day though!

amdnv

What version of Chessmaster is this? Does it have the Waitzkin tutorials, the grandmaster challenges, puzzles etc.? Wikipedia doesnt mention it at all. Google says that Cheessmaster Challenge is a free game. I'm confused.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Armageddon is tempting, but I can't help but think it will see a price drop to $39.99 or $29.99 and 80% off during the holiday sale.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Why is Bookworm Adventures Volume 2 appear in my grid view?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gvaz said:
That RFA is really tempting....but I played the demo on Onlive and it was really bad
To be fair, all games seem to be shitty on Onlive. A crisp 60 fps at 1080p, triple-buffered with 8xAA makes a world of difference.

Blizzard

Banned
amdnv said:
What version of Chessmaster is this? Does it have the Waitzkin tutorials, the grandmaster challenges, puzzles etc.? Wikipedia doesnt mention it at all. Google says that Cheessmaster Challenge is a free game. I'm confused.
I googled and found the Steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683893

Thread says avoid, some Chessmaster X (not on Steam?) is better, and even the new built-in Windows chess may be better.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
SalsaShark said:
BOOM

check a couple pages back

What do we do? Panic? Is the end coming?

Salsa

kinoki said:
What do we do? Panic? Is the end coming?

seems to be a somewhat common issue of the new client update according to the steam forums, guess we wait.

i also had like 3 games disappear..

amdnv

Blizzard said:
Thread says avoid, some Chessmaster X (not on Steam?) is better, and even the new built-in Windows chess may be better.
Aw, bummer :( The full Chessmaster is awesome, I want that on Steam.
Thanks for helping though.

Vamphuntr

That steam update deleted all my non steam games links from my library.

It's becoming self aware like origins and trying to delete competition.

I think it's a disservice to simply write the original Red Faction off as a bad Half-Life knock-off. Yeah it's got a campy plot, which Red faction doesn't, and yes it takes some obvious cues from Half-Life narrative but the wholesale destruction of the environment (not just the structures within it) and the unique arsenal still made it a blast to play through. I got the entire series by pre-ordering Armageddon and played through RF1, RF2 and Guerrilla before Armageddon came out.

If you're entertaining the idea of buying Armageddon's DLC, I recommend buying the original Red Faction instead. It's a little more expensive but well worth the extra change.

Deadstar said:
DLC isn't worth $1.75, why? I'm getting Armageddon because I liked the demo.

The DLC is literally four missions they cut from Armageddon. The levels are finished but they don't make sense within the larger whole of the game. You're getting random snapshots from the games development essentially, for example there's a henchman of Hale's you fight throughout two of the dlc missions, but never directly see. He's randomly inserted and doesn't make sense with the rest of the game.

It felt like a rip-off. It will probably still feel like a rip-off at this price.

Omikron

Drkirby said:
Whats the catch? Can I pay money to virtually flip the board over if I am unhappy about how the game is going?

"Free-to-try download, affordable pay-to-play model using your Steam Wallet once you run out of Free Gold Ingots"

Need to try it out.

Joe Molotov

Omi said:
"Free-to-try download, affordable pay-to-play model using your Steam Wallet once you run out of Free Gold Ingots"

Need to try it out.

Buy in-game money to play? Sounds more like "need to avoid at all costs".

nexen

Smash88 said:
Is RFA a good buy at this price?
I enjoyed the X360 version well enough for this price, sure.

Know what you are getting into though - they literally rammed RFG mechanics into a so/so corridor shooter with aliens. Still competantly executed and fun to play but it is a very strange chimera of a game.

Smash88

Banned
nexen said:
I enjoyed the X360 version well enough for this price, sure.

Know what you are getting into though - they literally rammed RFG mechanics into a so/so corridor shooter with aliens. Still competantly executed and fun to play but it is a very strange chimera of a game.

Thanks ^_^

G-Fex said:
Is binding of issac a fun game?

Is R.Kelly a pedophile?

Did Steve Jobs bring Apple back from the brink of death?

Is the Wu Tang clan anything to fuck with?

Is Breaking Bad an amazing TV show?

Is Gaf -> Internet -> Gaf?

Is Uncharted graphically amazing?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom