• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

I also can help out with gifting. Karma and all that. I took advantage so many times of the kindness of USA gaffers that it's time to pay back. EuroSteam here!

Javaman

My strategy this year is going to be getting as many as I can before the sale actually starts, then cry into my pillow when Steam fails to recognize them for the contest because something's gone terribly wrong!

E.Y.E. achievement done! The Gift - Seems the gift is a random present-shaped drop from enemies. Just a few minutes of murder and that hat someone's mom knitted for them is mine. (No hats were actually collected. No mothers were harmed)
It might be a good idea to wait just in case the achievement thing is bugged. It you get them before the "switch" is pulled they might not count and there won't be a way to get them again. I'm probably wrong but the last thing you'll want to deal with during the sale is steam support.

ArjanN

My strategy this year is going to be getting as many as I can before the sale actually starts, then cry into my pillow when Steam fails to recognize them for the contest because something's gone terribly wrong!

E.Y.E. achievement done! The Gift - Seems the gift is a random present-shaped drop from enemies. Just a few minutes of murder and that hat someone's mom knitted for them is mine. (No hats were actually collected. No mothers were harmed)

There are already 10 or so xmas achievements you can get now. At the current rate you can probably get half of the achievements before the contest even starts.

By the way I'd recommend downloading any of the games with xmas achievements now if you already own them but don't have them installed yet.

Limbo that cheap ? Bought. Still hope for a mac release before Christmas :D

Edit : it says that I already got the game but isn't in my Library ... ?

ArjanN

It might be a good idea to wait just in case the achievement thing is bugged. It you get them before the "switch" is pulled they might not count and there won't be a way to get them again. I'm probably wrong but the last thing you'll want to deal with during the sale is steam support.

It worked fine the previous years.

The ones you can already get now, are clearly meant to be achievable already.

Chesskid1

Banned
that open steamworks/registry logger site was made private just now, he must of noticed a huge increase in bandwidth cause it was posted on pretty much every pc forum after it was posted on here so it's passworded now, doh.

Oreoleo

that open steamworks/registry logger site was made private just now, he must of noticed a huge increase in bandwidth cause it was posted on pretty much every pc forum after it was posted on here so it's passworded now, doh.

CfNSu.jpg

You can still download and use the Steam Registry Editor.

l1fPw.jpg

mrgone

I thought someone quoted one of the developers as saying this.

I was mostly kidding with my post :) There were a few troubles with early achievements during the last treasure hunt that I think were mostly ironed out (I hope!) It'd be kind of nuts to allow those achievements to go live now for the contest if they wouldn't count when it started. Some of them are almost unavoidable through regular play, from what I can tell. Hopefully that was just a special case with the one dev.

That's exactly why I never messed with it. I knew once a lot of people started using it it'd either go away or become available to only a few people.

pulling his leg off felt oh so good, yet oh so icky as well, lol

I felt kind of bad about it actually, spiders are pretty cool. There was something pretty fucked up about the fact that you slowly dismember him over the space of 15 minutes or so, then roll his abdomen into a pit of spikes.

Of course, I haven't finished it yet, but since then I've seen a bunch of even more messed up things so I got over it pretty quick. Game is dark 0.0

I felt kind of bad about it actually, spiders are pretty cool. There was something pretty fucked up about the fact that you slowly dismember him over the space of 15 minutes or so, then roll his abdomen into a pit of spikes.

I feel like a horrible person for being sold on Limbo in this fashion.

But that is a wonderful narrative device.

*adds Limbo to wishlist*

ShaneB

Of course, I haven't finished it yet, but since then I've seen a bunch of even more messed up things so I got over it pretty quick. Game is dark 0.0

It is pretty gruesome, the lack of colour helps the game keep some artistic merit instead of being offensive. lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Killing Floor Chieve, its like I make it look too easy :O

*Entire team dies to the first 50, take out the next 150+ alone*

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Steam sale hasn't even begun yet and my download speeds are already abysmal. Next few weeks are going to be absolutely brutal.

Steam sale hasn't even begun yet and my download speeds are already abysmal. Next few weeks are going to be absolutely brutal.

I've been getting really wild variations this week. Today I downloaded Dungeons of Dredmor at 400kb/s, then downloaded Limbo about 20 minutes later and it hit 1.5mb/s and stayed there.

imo IM now has Steam Chat support on phones! To access it, download the latest beta version from the Android market.

:O

graywolf323

you actually want to play what you buy? what's wrong with you? :p

imo IM now has Steam Chat support on phones! To access it, download the latest beta version from the Android market.

please add this Trillian, you already support pretty much everything else

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I've been getting really wild variations this week. Today I downloaded Dungeons of Dredmor at 400kb/s, then downloaded Limbo about 20 minutes later and it hit 1.5mb/s and stayed there.

I'd love to be able to break 400kb/s right about now. :(

you actually want to play what you buy? what's wrong with you? :p

Quite a lot, actually!

Every time I look at Steam something else is trying to update now lolz. What is this.

Javaman

1. Telltale is having a sale. Almost every season is $9.99 and comes with the collector's edition dvd (shipping not included).

2. They are giving three episodes for free!

http://www.telltalegames.com/tis-the-season
They've put their entire back catalog on steam for $50 at least twice so far. Might be worth waiting for the main sale. Tf2 update tonight, and big Dungeon Defender update/DLC release too. What a bad night to be stuck at work.

Card Boy

Banned
This is what i hate about the Xmas and Summer sales. You can't even download shit for 2 months a year.

I just had a Dungeon Defenders update pop up and its downloading at 16 to 40kb/sec. Normally i hit 1.6meg a sec.

Whats worse is the Xmas sale hasn't even started yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom