• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Not sure this is the place to put it, but it's Steam-related and I'd rather not start up a new thread for it, so here goes.

Christmas present recommendations on Steam: games for guys who like games. Supposing you wanted to spend 50 bucks, sales notwithstanding, what would be the best choice of the following three:

A) Saints Row the Third (hasn't played previous SRs but loved San Andreas and Vice City, thought GTA IV was just okay)

B) Arkham City (loved Asylum, starting to get back into metroidvanias)

C) a combination of four lesser-priced games costing 10-15 each like Bastion, Puzzle Agent 2, etc.

Thanks!

Saints Row the Third Download from Amazon, activates on Steam, $39.99 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OMM66A/?tag=neogaf0e-20) + $10 game of your choice.

Also, wait for the Christmas Sale to being before buying anything.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Huh, Steam crashed on me, so I closed it via Task Manager and then I tried to run it again... but it takes forever to actually start up now =/

I checked Task Manager again, and seems to gain memory rather slow.

Askani

There needs to be a better system of DLC on Steam. Something like this that has 12 pieces of DLC, I have to navigate to each page to see what I have and what I don't. It should tell me on the main game page.

ElRenoRaven

Not sure this is the place to put it, but it's Steam-related and I'd rather not start up a new thread for it, so here goes.

Christmas present recommendations on Steam: games for guys who like games. Supposing you wanted to spend 50 bucks, sales notwithstanding, what would be the best choice of the following three:

A) Saints Row the Third (hasn't played previous SRs but loved San Andreas and Vice City, thought GTA IV was just okay)

C) a combination of four lesser-priced games costing 10-15 each like Bastion, Puzzle Agent 2, etc.

Thanks!

I'd say for sure wait for the sale. You could get more for your money. Akham City for example is probably a lock for the sale judging by registry. Then I wouldn't be surprised to see Saints Row 3 go on sale too.

Aselith

There needs to be a better system of DLC on Steam. Something like this that has 12 pieces of DLC, I have to navigate to each page to see what I have and what I don't. It should tell me on the main game page.

Yeah, they should also add an add to checkout button so you don't have to keep navigating back and forth to add individual pieces if you already have some.

Scythian

It does, right click game on library->View Downloadable Content

Scythian

I believe he meant in the store window it should have a way to mark what you own.

Right then, I agree, a dot or something that indicates you already have this would be really useful. Though, you could easily remember what content you have unless it is one-word kinda confusing DLC, e.g., Sanctum :/
Overall, the Steam client has a lot of room for improvement, it's still kinda sluggish, specially during big events like the holiday sale.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes. Very unique control scheme that takes a little while to get used to, but it's a lot of fun.

The fake language and humor in the game is fantastic.

I wonder how many people think that's Swedish. I know GiantBomb (at least some of them) did when they did their quicklook.

(To be fair, there are some real Swedish words thrown in here and there, but most of it is gibberish.)

I wonder how many people think that's Swedish. I know GiantBomb (at least some of them) did when they did their quicklook.

(To be fair, there are some real Swedish words thrown in here and there, but most of it is gibberish.)

That's what I love about the game. Almost all of the humor is meta.

Aselith

Goddamnit, Steam. Stop updating shit! It keeps starting game updates randomly and so is slowly whittling away at my daily cap. Just start them all at once so I can pause them all at once and be done with it, you bastards! :(

Also, it downloads demo versions of many of my games in the background which it doesn't even show in the main download window so that's fun too.

Has logged 2567.2 hours of playtime — that's 106 days, 23 hours, and 11 minutes, with most of the time being spent playing Team Fortress 2, which accounts for 44.0% of their playtime

Ranked 1029th with 2567.2 hours played
Has played 101 games out of 127. You can also view unplayed and played games
Owns 127 games for a total worth of $1014.23 (at the games' current prices)
Twelve games balladofwindfishes currently owns are on sale. View all of them?
Their overall account cost per hour of gametime of the games list below is $0.40
That's a lot of TF2

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Tempy

Has logged 1084.3 hours of playtime — that's 45 days, 4 hours, and 18 minutes, with most of the time being spent playing Left 4 Dead 2, which accounts for 56.0% of their playtime

Ranked 4488th with 1084.3 hours played
Has played 45 games out of 156.
Owns 156 games for a total worth of $1819.27 (at the games' current prices)
Twenty-three games Tempy currently owns are on sale. View all of them?
Their overall account cost per hour of gametime of the games list below is $1.68

Zimbardo

bought Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon.

so good. love the carnage ...just wish the 30fps cap was unlocked. good fun in co op.

Deadstar

Magicka is a must buy for anyone wondering. There is no other game like it. Though it's definitely more fun if you have a friend or 3. If you're playing it solo it will be fun but nowhere near as good. Though you could always do internet games.

You use the keyboard keys QWER and ASDF to mix and match elements to create spells. It's very, very fun and most of the bugs have been worked out now.

Joe Molotov

Is Steam down? I can't log in. I'm scared. :( :( :(

Edit: Nevermind. I closed out, and then reopened it and was able to log in. Gotta go take my heart attack pills now.

Ceebs

Thanks!

Saints Row for sure. Don't let the hype fool you, Arkham City is a vastly inferior game to Arkham Asylum for a variety of reasons. Meanwhile SR3 may be GOTY for me.

DrPirate

Banned
Already hit about 10-12 of the winter achievements. I LOVE this shit. By far the reason (for me) why Steam is the best platform for games. This meta gaming stuff has to be ripped off by Sony/Microsoft....

Fou-Lu

Just bought Magicka with all DLC.... I am so weak. I've only been using Steam heavily since August and I already have 106 games.

EDIT: 111....

cicero

Has logged 1973.2 hours of playtime — that's 82 days, 5 hours, and 11 minutes, with most of the time being spent playing Team Fortress 2, which accounts for 28.0% of their playtime.

Ranked 1836th with 1973.2 hours played
Has played 118 games out of 459. You can also view unplayed and played games
Owns 459 games for a total worth of $4673.95 (at the games' current prices)
Their overall account cost per hour of gametime of the games list below is $2.37

:|

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, there's no way to make a controller work in the Steam app, is there? It's kind of annoying to not have the ability to switch games using the same controller I've just been using to play one. Instead, I have to walk up to my laptop and use my mouse to start another game (no, I don't have a wireless mouse).

I've actually got a decent 99/206 games played. Of course some of those games I booted up for a few minutes to try them out (RE5), played for a little while before getting stuck and never returning (several adventure games), the game didn't play right (Darkstar One rexolution problems), or the game was just garbage (Red Faction Armageddon).

Im_Special

Question for anyone who has played Cave Story+, how do you unlock the ???? modes, I beat the game last night on normal but they are still locked. What are the conditions to unlocking them all, anyone know?

thefil

Saints Row for sure. Don't let the hype fool you, Arkham City is a vastly inferior game to Arkham Asylum for a variety of reasons. Meanwhile SR3 may be GOTY for me.

Care to elaborate? I'm not trying to provoke you or anything, I haven't played AC but I really enjoyed AA, so I'd like to know what makes it worse.

Hmm, there's no way to make a controller work in the Steam app, is there? It's kind of annoying to not have the ability to switch games using the same controller I've just been using to play one. Instead, I have to walk up to my laptop and use my mouse to start another game (no, I don't have a wireless mouse).

That's what Big Picture Mode is theoretically going to fix.

Blizzard

Banned
Not that I know of unless you use custom drivers and/or possibly XPadder to map things.

Joe Molotov

Capcom:

piyCh.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's what Big Picture Mode is theoretically going to fix.

Oh, hadn't heard of that before. But it seems like it was first announced back in February, so... where is it?

Not that I know of unless you use custom drivers and/or possibly XPadder to map things.

Well, sure, I can map my controller buttons to anything I like (I use a DS3 with Motioninjoy drivers), but since most newer games only seem to accept 360 controllers I have to leave the drivers in 360 controller emulation mode most of the time. Can't use both that and custom key mapping at the same time.

Nabs

Left 4 Dead 2 just got a gift grab achievement

edit: Grab 3 Gifts dropped by Special Infected in Versus Mode.

Wow, that is ridiculous. A 5 machine limit for a bloody side-scrolling shmup is either ridiculously paranoid, or, the more likely answer as I assume it's carried over from a disk release, disgustingly lazy.

At least yours isn't Dragon Age :|

I feel your pain, I have 155 hours logged in Dragon Age and most of that is from two playthroughs, the latter of which I didn't even finish. It's amazing how wildly that game wavers between engaging but unimaginative fantasy to mediocrity, sometimes in the space of a single blood-spattered conversation. I've been considering going back and playing it with mods but I decided to play Arcanum instead.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Care to elaborate? I'm not trying to provoke you or anything, I haven't played AC but I really enjoyed AA, so I'd like to know what makes it worse.

arkham asylum has a certain economy of space and pace that arkham city lacks due to the open world design direction. both are excellent games, but AA is the more brilliantly designed by a mile. :)

1-D_FTW

Just went and checked my mail and realized it was flooded with shit from Steam. And then I realized I got an e-mail for each game I won!

Witcher 2
Batman Arkham City
Assasin's Creed: Revelations
Deus Ex: Revolution
Sonic Generations
Rage
Saints Row: The Third
Skyrim

Darksiders 2
Metro: Last Light

Here's hoping THQ doesn't go down the toilet and I see those!

FUCKING PUMPED. Gotta go redeem these bitches, now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom