• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're wrong.
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dead-island/17-4837/

They explicitly say they figure after plugging a control in you can use analog melee. Nice accusation though.

"They figure", which came after saying how shitty the game must be on PC because you have to use a mouse and keyboard. And how about the fact that he says "apparently you see the family from the trailer somewhere but I haven't found them yet"? Spoiler: they're about 2 metres from where the player starts the game. And the crafting thing is just idiotic, especially as crafting in games predates MMOs by decades and the system in Dead Island is actually far more like Arcanum than anything in MMOs. I'm glad they started playing games when the PS2 came out but it makes them completely useless to me.

Anyway, Dead Island is a fantastic game. This little tool is mandatory for anyone starting out on PC right now:

http://www.theplaywrite.com/tools-a...nd-apply-tweaks-without-having-to-edit-files/

It allows you to:

- adjust the fov
- remove bloom (!!!)
- remove desaturation effect
- set custom refresh rates
- set custom shadow-map size
- rebind hard-coded keys

And a bunch of other stuff too. Really incredible game from a pure gameplay perspective, the story is appalling and the VA and cut-scenes are unintentional satire, but the game is about crafting insane melee weaponry and taking zombies apart piece by piece with it before they can do the same to you. Each and every enemy is a serious threat, and the way that the damage system compliments the analog combat by making crippling limbs an important defensive strategy turns the game into this brutal, violent vacation which somehow managed to be the best survival horror game I've played since Amnesia.

If I had to pull a list of similes out I'd say:

- A sense of STALKER-esque fear and isolation
- The brutal first-person melee combat of Condemned but improved
- A weird combination of scavenging and fighting like Fallout

Excellent game.

"They figure", which came after saying how shitty the game must be on PC because you have to use a mouse and keyboard. And how about the fact that he says "apparently you see the family from the trailer somewhere but I haven't found them yet"? Spoiler: they're about 2 metres from where the player starts the game. And the crafting thing is just idiotic, especially as crafting in games predates MMOs by decades and the system in Dead Island is actually far more like Arcanum than anything in MMOs. I'm glad they started playing games when the PS2 came out but it makes them completely useless to me.

Just as an aside their best coverage and where they're most knowledgeable (certainly Jeff) are 80's arcade games. I think it's funny when people accuse them of starting with the ps2 and what not.

How do I get the Magicka one? I'm using Ice on stuff, but when I hit them, they don't shatter like some are saying. It's just a normal hit.

What's the spell you guys use?

Anyway, Dead Island is a fantastic game. This little tool is mandatory for anyone starting out on PC right now:

http://www.theplaywrite.com/tools-a...nd-apply-tweaks-without-having-to-edit-files/

It allows you to:

- adjust the fov
- remove bloom (!!!)
- rebind hard-coded keys

And a bunch of other stuff too. Really incredible game from a pure gameplay perspective, the story is appalling and the VA and cut-scenes are unintentional satire, but the game is about crafting insane melee weaponry and taking zombies apart piece by piece with it before they can do the same to you. Each and every enemy is a serious threat, and the way that the damage system compliments the analog combat by making crippling limbs an important defensive strategy turns the game into this brutal, violent vacation which somehow managed to be the best survival horror game I've played since Amnesia.

Excellent game.
I second this tool, removing the terribad motion blur made the game a lot better for me when I played through it. I think the terribleness of the cutscenes and dialogue actually added to the game for me. It has to be seen to be believed.

I've unlocked chapter 4 :)

But god, some of the ships suck with the mouse. I don't like the keyboard cause I can't move diagonally and the mouse has serious latency (WTF Charge?!) with the vulnerable spot. Naturally, Guy Fawkes has the best ship.

Do you have a controller you could try? I've got a wired 360 pad, works great for Jamestown.

Thrakier

It allows you to:

- adjust the fov
- remove bloom (!!!)
- rebind hard-coded keys

Excellent game.

Now that you mentioned Amnesia you make me wanna buy it...damn you! How much is it? I'm in germany, is there a deal?

1-D_FTW

IMO it's a guaranteed Daily deal for at least 66 percent off. With a decent change at 75 percent off. I wouldn't touch at 50 percent off unless you really wanted to play it today.

I second this tool, removing the terribad motion blur made the game a lot better for me when I played through it. I think the terribleness of the cutscenes and dialogue actually added to the game for me. It has to be seen to be believed.

"Yo shawty! You been having zombie for lunch?!"

I actually agree, especially as an Australian given all of the terrible accents in the game. The amazing thing is sometimes it goes really dark out of nowhere, like
Jinn being raped by the bandits.

Anyway here's a combat video I made ages ago for people wondering what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJPxN2I_RqE&context=C3da7288ADOEgsToPDskKBnO9JOcNCro0eQd0d6srp

One thing to note is that I made this before the patch where they implemented stamina-drain for kicking so you can no longer spam it when you get swarmed. It's a massive balance change, but I think they did it because of that comic which someone made about kicking zombies into a pool until they drown.

I actually agree, especially as an Australian given all of the terrible accents in the game. The amazing thing is sometimes it goes really dark out of nowhere, like

Anyway here's a combat video I made ages ago for people wondering what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJPxN2I_RqE&context=C3da7288ADOEgsToPDskKBnO9JOcNCro0eQd0d6srp

One thing to note is that I made this before the patch where they implemented stamina-drain for kicking so you can no longer spam it when you get swarmed. It's a massive balance change, but I think they did it because of that comic which someone made about kicking zombies into a pool until they drown.
I think the buggyness is great too sometimes. Unless they patched it, Act 3 is completely FUCKED UP. If you go anywhere off the beaten path in Act 3 (the jungle I believe) there are so many clipping glitches and problems that you can go pretty much anywhere. I was like walking up mountainsides and going like under the map just by jumping around. I think my biggest problem with the game overall is the walking line is too terrible (unless they patched it). That walking line is so untrustworthy and changes all the time to the point where it goes from annoyance to frustrating.

Sam B - character of the year?

In regards to the spoiler, i remember having a conversation with my co op partner that consided of essentially: " no way that happened"
"did they really just go there?"
"noooo... Did they?"
"no way"

But they did. Game was made by insane people.

Sam B - character of the year?

In regards to the spoiler, i remember having a conversation with my co op partner that consided of essentially: " no way that happened"
"did they really just go there?"
"noooo... Did they?"
"no way"

But they did. Game was made by insane people.

And who can forget Sam B dropping some street wisdom on those fools:

"Yeah, I get it. We a crew. We stick together, or we all fucked."

He's definitely a contender for most hilarious portrayal of a stereotype from elsewhere interpreted through the prism of one of the most mono-cultural countries in the world.

Edit:Or not. Its not red. Its the same medal as the others like Ten Thousand Hours. Sorry. Why did the developers have to use a reindeer

I kind of like these achievements. While some are basically, play the game for the first 5 minutes I like the others that make you do something a little different too,.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Put a ton of bots (like 32) and let them all kill each other then pick up the presents. That's what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom