• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jim-jam bongs said:
A broken record would be more like "play ali- ali- ali- ali- ali- ali..."

Anyway, Stupacabra was having trouble with payments too, sounds like Steam is playing up maybe.

I'd come across as such if my posts were played in appropriate unison. :p

Salsa

jim-jam bongs said:
Anyway, Stupacabra was having trouble with payments too, sounds like Steam is playing up maybe.

but sending money was through paypal

i mean the CC isnt letting me in more than one place

drizzle

Axel Hertz
confused said:
It's 7 games. Less than $2 a game. If you get someone from the UK to gift it to you it comes out at $1 a game.
I got them all from uk-friend. I don't even like GTA that much!

What the hell Steam!

Nabs

LA Noire: The Complete Edition is up for pre-order. 10% off and a copy of GTA III.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/110800/

Includes all previously released DLC for the console versions (including additional outfits, weapons, and cases such as “Nicholson Electroplating”, “Reefer Madness”, “Naked City”, “Slip of the Tongue”, “Consul’s Car” and more) and makes them available to players from the start.

3rd-party DRM: GameShield

Additional: Initial activation requires internet connection and Rockstar Social Club (13+ to register); software installation required including GameShield IronWrap & Patcher; DirectX, and Microsoft's Windows .NET Framework, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86).

Meier

I wish they'd given at least some sort of cost savings if you pre-ordered FM12. I kinda wanna buy it since I put in so many hours into FM11 and they probably deserve my $40 but FM11 is still plenty fun for me so I'm not sure I can justify the purchase. :(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
LA Noir comes with a special, PC exclusive case where you must find out the secret to why Rockstar won't fucking release Red Dead Redemption on the PC.

MRORANGE

Nabs said:
3rd-party DRM: GameShield

Additional: Initial activation requires internet connection and Rockstar Social Club (13+ to register); software installation required including GameShield IronWrap & Patcher; DirectX, and Microsoft's Windows .NET Framework, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86).

damn a lot of people thought rockstar would go steamworks.

JaseC

jim-jam bongs said:
Me neither, but apparently Runic used it for Torchlight retail, so that wins big points with me.

I'm reasonably certain that higher-tier shields in Wonder Boy in Monster Land offer greater DRM.

Edit: ^ Bloody hell. That's a comprehensive list of shitlisted DRM.

Salsa

man fuck credit cards, jesus christ

alright, try to follow me:

talked with the bank, and it turns out i have some weird ghost debt that i havent paid back from August that goes up to 500 pesos (about $25 bucks), so now i charged 1000 pesos, but as i hadnt paid that charge back then, they blocked the card, and now took those 500 pesos (+ 6 bucks for some kind of late fee or whatever crap) away from the money i just charged without notice.

So basically i charged $1000 - $500 - $120 (the 6 bucks) = 380 pesos in total. 620 pesos just went *poof!* on fees without notice.

Alice is $15 = $300 pesos. So at least i'll still be able to buy it once they unlock the card. Thing is i have to go there personally on Monday, stand in line like a motherfucker and ask personally for the card to be unblocked. All of this for buying a fucking gaaaaaaaame.

Not to mention i just lost about 35 bucks on fees i never even knew i had (the monthley letter i recieve said absolutely nothing) and not even the bank could tell me what that was about, need to talk with VISA directly or some crap.

So yeah, fuck fuck and FUCK. Was hoping to use that other money to buy Skyrim or something.

Geez.

Anyway.. guess what im trying to say is that if anyone can hook me up with Alice for $15, i'll pay as soon as i come back from the fucking bank again on Monday. I assume the deal will have ended by then.

JaseC

SalsaShark said:
man fuck credit cards, jesus christ

alright, try to follow me:

talked with the bank, and it turns out i have some weird ghost debt that i havent paid back from August that goes up to 500 pesos (about $25 bucks), so now i charged 1000 pesos, but as i hadnt paid that charge back then, they blocked the card, and now took those 500 pesos (+ 6 bucks for some kind of late fee or whatever crap) away from the money i just charged without notice.

So basically i charged $1000 - $500 - $120 (the 6 bucks) = 380 pesos in total. 620 pesos just went *poof!* on fees without notice.

Alice is $15 = $300 pesos. So at least i'll still be able to buy it once they unlock the card. Thing is i have to go there personally on Monday, stand in line like a motherfucker and ask personally for the card to be unblocked. All of this for buying a fucking gaaaaaaaame.

Not to mention i just lost about 35 bucks on fees i never even knew i had (the monthley letter i recieve said absolutely nothing) and not even the bank could tell me what that was about, need to talk with VISA directly or some crap.

So yeah, fuck fuck and FUCK. Was hoping to use that other money to buy Skyrim or something.

Geez.

Anyway.. guess what im trying to say is that if anyone can hook me up with Alice for $15, i'll pay as soon as i come back from the fucking bank again on Monday. I assume the deal will have ended by then.

I would, but my bank account has $2 to its name until Monday. :(

Edit: Not that Alice is $15 here in Aussie Land, but I could facilitate such a transfer.

JaseC said:
I'm reasonably certain that higher-tier shields in Wonder Boy in Monster Land offer greater DRM.

Edit: ^ Bloody hell. That's a comprehensive list of shitlisted DRM.

lol that's what I thought too, but if you look closely it's actually just Gameshield and the requirement that you be logged in to the social club for patches. The rest is just the standard Steam extras which run when you first play the game.

JaseC

jim-jam bongs said:
lol that's what I thought too, but if you look closely it's actually just Gameshield and the requirement that you be logged in to the social club for patches. The rest is just the standard Steam extras which run when you first play the game.

And to think I double-checked before posting. :( In my defence, it is 3:15 AM.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
Salsa have you ever been able to pay anyone on time or the full amount?

dude i wanna know what this is about

do i owe money to someone who helped me before or something? what?

im asking for help and you're making me look like a thief

JaseC

SalsaShark said:

Your avatar housing a Companion Cube one day and ridding it the next does you no favours. :p

For seriously (/Eric Cartman), I'm sure that we're all poking fun.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:

Every single sale you are short on money and need someone to buy it for you. I helped you once and you were short a couple dollars when you paid me back and then later asked me to help your friend (who wasn't even on Gaf) get the game for the US price too. I said, "no thank you" and then waited a polite amount of time and removed you from my friends list.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Stallion Free said:
Every single sale you are short on money and need someone to buy it for you. I helped you once and you were short a couple dollars when you paid me back and then later asked me to help your friend (who wasn't even on Gaf) get the game for the US price too. I said, "no thank you" and then waited a polite amount of time and removed you from my friends list.
Oh shiiii, it's on now! Public name calling and everything!

Edit: I have to say, pretty much nobody other than Americans and British have the luxury of clicking "gift" when giving out money. Fuck, I can't even select the "i'll pay the taxes" when sending money overseas.

It fucking sucks. I was just having this problem right now, because I couldn't find a direct way to calculate how much taxes i'd have to pay to deliver 5 pounds over paypal, and the dude just said "ah, fuck it". I still gave him 50 poundcents (or whatever it's called) on top of the 5 pound, hoping it would cover the mystery paypal fees.

It sucks.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:

huh, so that's why you werent there when i wanted to talk to you the other day

im also sure those couple bucks i apologized for where the ridiculous fees i get charged at PP and wasnt expecting them.

Sorry for asking you for help for a friend, but hey, suit yourself if you are so easily offended. Specially if you had no issue when you got a couple bucks short, you could have said so and i would have paid.

Seems a rather asshole thing to do to say you're okay with someone being a couple bucks short and then erasing him from your friend list.

Stallion Free said:

:O

Man living in a different timezone from most of GAF makes these moments particularly weird. I'm hungover and drinking morning coffee while everyone else is dialing it up to 11.

JaseC

jim-jam bongs said:
Man living in a different timezone from most of GAF makes these moments particularly weird. I'm hungover and drinking morning coffee while everyone else is dialing it up to 11.

You're always up when I'm up. Are we twins?

child-custody-law-after-or-before-divorce_1.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
huh, so that's why you werent there when i wanted to talk to you the other day

im also sure those couple bucks i apologized for where the ridiculous fees i get charged at PP and wasnt expecting them.

Sorry for asking you for help for a friend, but hey, suit yourself if you are so easily offended. Specially if you had no issue when you got a couple bucks short, you could have said so and i would have paid.

Seems a rather asshole thing to do to say you're okay with someone being a couple bucks short and then erasing him from your friend list.
I removed you from my friends list because I had no desire in becoming your go to person to ask for help (I dislike Paypal), especially since you saw it as an opening to help your friends too.

I don't care about the couple dollars, I just find it irritating how incessant you are with being short on money and being "helpless" when you need to get that [insert any game name] sale. You come off like a drug addict honestly.

coopolon

I have found when gifting via paypal that while sometimes people don't cover the fees, other times people overpay by a bit and it typically cancels out (or nets out positive for me.)

If someone has a guide to paypal fees that would be really useful so that we can more accurately estimate how much people paypal. I tried during the Summer sale to find something but was unable to find anything comprehensive.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
I removed you from my friends list because I had no desire in becoming your go to person to ask for help (I dislike Paypal), especially since you saw it as an opening to help your friends too.

I don't care about the couple dollars, I just find it irritating how incessant you are with being short on money and being "helpless" when you need to get that [insert any game name] sale. You come off like a drug addict honestly.

bwahahah, okay dude. You helping me out with 1 game > becoming afraid im gonna ask for help again so you erase me

thanks for the vote of confidence, specially when this happened a long time ago. I asked for help a couple times from other gaffers, paid back in full, in time, throwed in a couple extra bucks for the help, helped a lot of people in the same regard many, many, many times.

I live in a place where i often get games for inflated prices, the reason i was asking you to help my friend is probably because he doesnt get the chance to interact with people who live in places where said games can be cheaper, but talk about overreaction dude. Just say no and i understand like everyone else would, jesus.

But hey, i must be an asshole and a drug-addict. Specially cause no one jokes like that in this thread.

Cru Jones

coopolon said:
I have found when gifting via paypal that while sometimes people don't cover the fees, other times people overpay by a bit and it typically cancels out (or nets out positive for me.)

If someone has a guide to paypal fees that would be really useful so that we can more accurately estimate how much people paypal.
I think the guideline would be to always add a couple points on top of the price to say thanks to the person hooking you up out of the kindness of their heart.

coopolon said:
If someone has a guide to paypal fees that would be really useful so that we can more accurately estimate how much people paypal. I tried during the Summer sale to find something but was unable to find anything comprehensive.
Wilflare pointed me to: http://ppcalc.com/
Works like a charm.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Cru Jones said:
I think the guideline would be to always add a couple points on top of the price to say thanks to the person hooking you up out of the kindness of their heart.
But what happens on GTA-like scenarios, where the thing costs 10,19 in the us and 5 pounds in England, which amounts to like 8 bucks?

Going a little over means paying 9,50 for something that costs 10,19... not really worth it.

I don't know man, it's a case by case basis.

Cru Jones

SalsaShark said:
bwahahah, okay dude. You helping me out with 1 game > becoming afraid im gonna ask for help again so you erase me

thanks for the vote of confidence, specially when this happened a long time ago. I asked for help a couple times for other gaffers, paid back in full, in time, helped them in the same regard many, many, many times.

I live in a place where i often get games for inflated prices, the reason i was asking you to help my friend is probably because he doesnt get the chance to interact with people who live in places where said games can be cheaper, but talk about overreaction dude. Just say no and i understand like everyone else would, jesus.

But hey, i must be an asshole and a drug-addict. Specially cause no one jokes like that in this thread.
No offense but If the events happened as he describes then I would have probably reacted the same way and follow the same course of action. If you knew he was a couple bucks short after fees, regardless of whether he said he was ok with it, the decent thing to do would be to make him whole. The fact that you short paid him (by accident or not) and then asked for you to hook up his friend is pretty shameless.

JaseC

jim-jam bongs said:
Still my favourite episode.

"I, uh. Don't think he's retarded, Dee."
"Mm. No."

I'd have to give the honour to "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis". For instance:

Bank Clerk: (referring to Dennis' poster) And what are those?
Dennis: Uh, these are gorgeous women with heaving breasts.
Bank Clerk: Why?
Dennis: Uh, well, to be perfectly honest, we sorta thought we'd be speaking to a man today, so...
Mac: Yeah, is there any way that we could talk to your boss because I think he would understand more better.
Bank Clerk: My boss is a woman.
Mac: Really?
Dennis: Your boss is a woman? Now this is a strange bank.

As (even more) an aside, "Fat Mac" is bloody brilliant.

Salsa

Also, if you have a problem with a certain transaction or whatever, you sort it out with whoever's involved. You dont erase the dude without saying a single word about you being "pissed off" over the situation or anything at all, and bring it up on a thread like this fucking months later.

Cru Jones said:
No offense but If the events happened as he describes then I would have probably reacted the same way and follow the same course of action. If you knew he was a couple bucks short after fees, regardless of whether he said he was ok with it, the decent thing to do would be to make him whole. The fact that you short paid him (by accident or not) and then asked for you to hook up his friend is pretty shameless.

I get paid monthly, im the kinda guy that in that type of situation has no problem gifting a wishlist game or doing the same for said person when the opporunity shows up, and im pretty damn sure my wording suggested something like that. I find the course of action of just erasing someone without comment and then bringin it up way later to be more shameless, but hey.

Its not like i never did for other gaffers exactly what Stallion did for me.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
LA Noire is an absolutely miserable game. Adventure elements, open-ish world to drive around in, some third-person shooting, 1940s Los Angeles ... all things I'm interested in, and it was still the worst thing I've played all year. Urgh. Not that anyone cares about a random negative opinion, but yeah. I hope people here avoid it.

I guess at least the soundtrack was okay-ish!

GuiltybyAssociation said:
LA Noire is an absolutely miserable game. Adventure elements, open-ish world to drive around in, some third-person shooting, 1940s Los Angeles ... all things I'm interested in, and it was still the worst thing I've played all year. Urgh. Not that anyone cares about a random negative opinion, but yeah. I hope people here avoid it.

I guess at least the soundtrack was okay-ish!

Man, I really wanted it to be the video game equivalent of a James Ellroy novel too :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Cru Jones said:
Paying the extra fees in paypal is a pain in the ass, you know why? Because paypal will charge fees on that payment as well - and it's not a fixed percentage. It's more like 60 cents plus 2%.

So let's say somebody sent you money and you ended up missing 50 cents.

If I pay you 1 dollar for those 50 cents, you'll receive like 30 cents.
In a low price difference scenario, you'll end up paying MORE than paying for the game in your region. And again, 50 cents is nothing.

Like I said, it's on a case by case basis, but most of the time, taking a 50 cents hit is an acceptable course of action, because the chance that the next time you'll help somebody, that person will overpay to cover paypal fees. Specially when you deal with the same person more than once, which is what I try to do. I always try to ask the same people for gifting, because if by some mistake I underpaid him in one transaction, i'll most likely overpay him in the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom