• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Seems a rather asshole thing to do to say you're okay with someone being a couple bucks short and then erasing him from your friend list.
That's because stallion IS an asshole troll.

Cru Jones

SalsaShark said:
Also, if you have a problem with a certain transaction or whatever, you sort it out with whoever's involved. You dont erase the dude without saying a single word about you being "pissed off" over the situation or anything at all, and bring it up on a thread like this fucking months later.

I get paid monthly, im the kinda guy that in that type of situation has no problem gifting a wishlist game or doing the same for said person when the opporunity shows up, and im pretty damn sure my wording suggested something like that. I find the course of action of just erasing someone without comment and then bringin it up way later to be more shameless, but hey.

Its not like i never did for other gaffers exactly what Stallion did for me.
I too get paid monthly, it is just about money management really, but you handling money responsibly isn't what we are discussing. All he did was tell people about his experience of when he helped you, didn't get fully compensated for his help, wasn't made whole when it was mentioned that you were short (sure he was polite in saying don't worry about it, but again the decent thing to do is pay him the money anyways), and then even after all that happened he felt (rightly so) that you were taking advantage of his generosity by trying to get him to fund a purchase for your friend. That is definitely a red flag in my book and if he feels like he wants to inform people of his experiences with you, more power to him.

drizzle said:
But what happens on GTA-like scenarios, where the thing costs 10,19 in the us and 5 pounds in England, which amounts to like 8 bucks?

Going a little over means paying 9,50 for something that costs 10,19... not really worth it.

I don't know man, it's a case by case basis.
You can pay in other currencies in PayPal. In combination with the PayPal fee calculator can pay exactly what the other one ought to have.

Cru Jones

drizzle said:
Paying the extra fees in paypal is a pain in the ass, you know why? Because paypal will charge fees on that payment as well - and it's not a fixed percentage. It's more like 60 cents plus 2%.

So let's say somebody sent you money and you ended up missing 50 cents.

If I pay you 1 dollar for those 50 cents, you'll receive like 30 cents.
In a low price difference scenario, you'll end up paying MORE than paying for the game in your region. And again, 50 cents is nothing.

Like I said, it's on a case by case basis, but most of the time, taking a 50 cents hit is an acceptable course of action, because the chance that the next time you'll help somebody, that person will overpay to cover paypal fees. Specially when you deal with the same person more than once, which is what I try to do. I always try to ask the same people for gifting, because if by some mistake I underpaid him in one transaction, i'll most likely overpay him in the next.
Does anybody else think this is completely backwards? Someone is doing YOU a favor and you're saying that it is OK for the person doin the favor to be short changed? The person hooking you up should never be in a worse position than before they helped you out. They are doing you a FAVOR for christ's sake.

Salsa

Cru Jones said:
I too get paid monthly, it is just about money management really, but you handling money responsibly isn't what we are discussing. All he did was tell people about his experience of when he helped you, didn't get fully compensated for his help, wasn't made whole when it was mentioned that you were short (sure he was polite in saying don't worry about it, but again the decent thing to do is pay him the money anyways), and then even after all that happened he felt (rightly so) that you were taking advantage of his generosity by trying to get him to fund a purchase for your friend. That is definitely a red flag in my book and if he feels like he wants to inform people of his experiences with you, more power to him.

Okay man, i just disagree.

Im not like that, if i say "dont worry, its just a couple bucks", i mean it. Id never say that as just a polite thing and then await to be paid whole.

I find it pretty awful how someone would say "oh man dont worry about it!" and then quote "wait a polite amount of time" and then erasing me. I have no problem with people asking back what they're entitled to, and if anything id say its something to bring up as soon as it happens, to discuss and fix in its due time. I dont see why he would bring it up now.

I think we all roll pretty much the same way here, everyime a sale comes around we look at each other's wishlists and come up with gifts or help people out, specially when they helped us before. I cant do that when i dont have said person on my friend list. Stallion evidently took that situation and decided not to give me a vote of confidence whatsoever and thought i wasnt the kind of person to do that over the fact that i asked him to help a non-gaffer friend. Totally cool if that sits alright with him and you, but to me its just weird.

And if the idea was to give me a "red flag" or something i better get on Steam and start asking other gaffers to "vouch for me" or something. Had no idea there was a rep system involved here..

Cru Jones said:

No offense, but that's a rather passive-aggressive approach to personal finances. If you have a problem with a deal, you sort it out right away and don't walk away until both parties are satisfied. If you can't reach an accord then you don't do business. I understand trying to be a bit more relaxed about things to keep dealings friendly, but if you don't say what you mean you have no right to make demands of the other party.

Twinduct said:
What is going on in here?
my steam family just leads to more <\3 than my real family :<

I just want you to know that it's not your fault that your mother left, but it is your fault that I cheated on her.

MRORANGE

I thought we all agreed that every gaffer should save 50% of there wages to steam sales? clearly needs to be added to the OP imo

Cru Jones

jim-jam bongs said:
No offense, but that's a rather passive-aggressive approach to personal finances. If you have a problem with a deal, you sort it out right away and don't walk away until both parties are satisfied. If you can't reach an accord then you don't do business. I understand trying to be a bit more relaxed about things to keep dealings friendly, but if you don't say what you mean you have no right to make demands of the other party.
What demands has anyone made? He isn't demanding the money now, he is just sharing his past experience in dealing with a specific member of the community. He was completely transparent in his story and now people can make an informed decision on whether or not they will help him or not.

Cru Jones said:
What demands has anyone made? He isn't demanding the money now, he is just sharing his past experience in dealing with a specific member of the community. He was completely transparent in his story and now people can make an informed decision on whether or not they will help him or not.

You're ignoring the most important part, where he said he was okay with an aspect of the deal at the time that it was being made, and is now bringing it up and saying he was unhappy with it in spite of the fact that he was offered compensation at the time and declined.

Again, if you are doing any kind of deal with someone and you rely on them guessing that you mean "I want the monies" when you say to them "I don't want the monies", any funkiness that results is down on you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jim-jam bongs said:
I understand trying to be a bit more relaxed about things to keep dealings friendly, but if you don't say what you mean you have no right to make demands of the other party.
I made no demands, I simply explained the question I asked when Salsa asked me too.

Twinduct

jim-jam bongs said:
I just want you to know that it's not your fault that your mother left, but it is your fault that I cheated on her.

But Dad! Salsa told me he was too much women for you to handle!!
/sits in the corner, listens to Linkin Park on my Mini-MD player.

Salsa

Cru Jones said:
He was completely transparent

yup this was really necessary:

Stallion Free said:
I just find it irritating how incessant you are with being short on money and being "helpless" when you need to get that [insert any game name] sale. You come off like a drug addict honestly.

anyway, carry on. If i get help great and if i dont too bad. I think people know me by this point.

Just bummed cause this came completely out of the blue as i thought Stallion was alright and that we joked around harmlessly, turns out he thinks im in an incessant and irritating drug addict. Good to know from now on. Too bad.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Cru Jones said:
Does anybody else think this is completely backwards? Someone is doing YOU a favor and you're saying that it is OK for the person doin the favor to be short changed? The person hooking you up should never be in a worse position than before they helped you out. They are doing you a FAVOR for christ's sake.
It totally isn't cool. People can totally "take advantage" of you. But really? It's 50 cents. If it's one random transaction and that people doesn't talk to you ever again, sure, it's messed up.

Like I said, I feel really bad when that happens. Sometimes you just forget about the damn paypal taxes, or you just flat out don't know about it (like I didn't know back when I started gifting/receiving gits on GAF). That's why I try to keep transactions with the same people at all times.

One time I hosted a 4-pack here on GAF. I'm not from the US, so people are not aware that they can't GIFT me money (which means there are no paypal taxes to be paid). I got screwed a couple cents on 2 of the transactions (because the people paying me didn't know any better). The third person gave me a little extra, not because of taxes, but because he was glad I was hosting the four pack. I don't think it covered all the taxes I was missing, but I didn't sweat it. Because I know how paypal taxes work and charging each of them for 60 cents wouldn't be worth anybody's time.

Since it takes too much time to explain somebody they'll have to pay me MORE than the game costs, and it takes even more time for me to explain them that i'm not asking because I want to make a 60 cents profit, I just chose to no longer host packs on GAF.

But, sometimes, i miscalc the tax when paying somebody. Most of the time, I overpay people because i'm too afraid it won't cover the tax.

What i'm saying is chill the fuck out, don't lash out on somebody because they're missing 40 cents on your payment. They probably don't know how paypal works OR live in a different country than yours and have different rules.

Stallion Free said:
I made no demands, I simply explained the question I asked when Salsa asked me too.

Yeah I know, demands was a stupid word. In all seriousness, Cru Jones attitude just pisses me the fuck off. I really hate people who can't say what they mean for whatever reason, and rely on the rest of the world trying to guess what the fuck they're actually trying to say.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
evlcookie said:
Any US gaffer floating around that's able to gift me alice?

This is the most prudent question being asked.

Edit: Accidental double post. My bad.

Cru Jones

jim-jam bongs said:
You're ignoring the most important part, where he said he was okay with an aspect of the deal at the time that it was being made, and is now bringing it up and saying he was unhappy with it in spite of the fact that he was offered compensation at the time and declined.

Again, if you are doing any kind of deal with someone and you rely on them guessing that you mean "I want the monies" when you say to them "I don't want the monies", any funkiness that results is down on you.
That isn't how I read the story. I read that salsa apologized for it not being enough money but he didn't offer to pay him the extra money either. Anyways We are getting a little OT and maybe I've been tainted by a few bad people in my life who always blame everything and everyone around them for their problems. Salsa's story about his "stupid bank" and then finding out about his previous dealings paints a bad picture of him in my eyes, but truth be told I don't know him other than what I have read on this thread and he could be a stand up guy.

Salsa

Cru Jones said:
Salsa's story about his "stupid bank" and then finding out about his previous dealings paints a bad picture of him in my eyes, but truth be told I don't know him other than what I have read on this thread and he could be a stand up guy.

the fuck?

are you seriously siding with a fucking bank or assuming i made that up?

dude the whole reason i went through the process of explaining the story is precisely to let people rest assure that im having a real problem and that its gonna be solved by Monday (besides the money that wast to fees, that's just something i was telling).

I think it would paint a much "worse" picture if i just came off saying HEY BUY ME ALICE I'LL PAY BACK MMKAY without explaining why..

coopolon

Mechanized said:
I wonder if it's possible for Alice to drop further in price during the Christmas sale. Damn. I'm torn.

It is $12 right now on Origin. I think it is foreseeable that it will receive a similar discount during the Xmas sale. No guarantees though.

Helmholtz

SalsaShark said:
Im not like that, if i say "dont worry, its just a couple bucks", i mean it. Id never say that as just a polite thing and then await to be paid whole.
Yeah, him saying that implies he doesn't want the few dollars. If he wanted them and didn't want you to worry he could have just said "just give it to me when you get a chance" or something. Really bizarre.

Cru Jones

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah I know, demands was a stupid word. In all seriousness, Cru Jones attitude just pisses me the fuck off. I really hate people who can't say what they mean for whatever reason, and rely on the rest of the world trying to guess what the fuck they're actually trying to say.
I guess we are opposite and we will have to agree to disagree. You can't stand people who expect people to do the right thing and I can't stand people who need to be told to do the right thing.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
JaseC said:
This is the most prudent question being asked.

Edit: Accidental double post. My bad.

I think i might just use my alt steam account under a vpn and gift it to myself. It's probably easier and quicker than trying to find a gaffer to gift it to me.

Khal_B

All of this could be avoided if customers worldwide were treated equally. Heard there were some good deals on Origin this morning only to find out that I'm locked of it. So stupid. You end up with less sales and potential customers just get shafted. I wish they could figure a way around this crap.

Salsa

Cru Jones said:
You can't stand people who expect people to do the right thing and I can't stand people who need to be told to do the right thing.

except that's not it at all

but whatever

JaseC

evlcookie said:
I think i might just use my alt steam account under a vpn and gift it to myself. It's probably easier and quicker than trying to find a gaffer to gift it to me.

What do you use to pay when purchasing via VPN? It's my understanding that your CC details have to match the country from which you claim to be purchasing.

I have helped Salsa quite a few times and he has always been good about it. There may have been a time where there was an unexpected PayPal fee of like a couple damn pesos. If I thought, for some bizarre reason, that was a big deal, I would have just brought it up with him and I'm sure he would have made good.

Twinduct said:
What is going on in here?
my steam family just leads to more <\3 than my real family :<
Alles sal goed wees. :(

Cru Jones, this was the post I got really fired up about:

Cru Jones said:
No offense but If the events happened as he describes then I would have probably reacted the same way and follow the same course of action. If you knew he was a couple bucks short after fees, regardless of whether he said he was ok with it, the decent thing to do would be to make him whole. The fact that you short paid him (by accident or not) and then asked for you to hook up his friend is pretty shameless.

If you really think this is true, and that people should just guess that when you say you are okay with something you actually aren't okay with it, then I suggest you disabuse yourself of that notion as quickly as you can.

And don't talk to me about "right" and "wrong" as though there is some kind of universal morality we all adhere to of which you're the arbiter.

Cru Jones

SalsaShark said:
the fuck?

are you seriously siding with a fucking bank or assuming i made that up?

dude the whole reason i went through the process of explaining the story is precisely to let people rest assure that im having a real problem and that its gonna be solved by Monday (besides the money that wast to fees, that's just something i was telling).

I think it would paint a much "worse" picture if i just came off saying HEY BUY ME ALICE I'LL PAY BACK MMKAY without explaining why..
Neither. It sounds like a real enough story and I believe that you had to pay off some debt that you had racked up. But you come off as blaming the bank instead of just stating that you had some unexpected debt. Like I said earlier, this is just my first impression of you and you could e a stand up guy, but I've known too many people in my life that blame everyone but themselves for things that happen to them and I don't have any tolerance for that behavior. I took offense when you started attacking him like he was out of line in mentioning this.

Cru Jones

jim-jam bongs said:
Cru Jones, this was the post I got really fired up about:

If you really think this is true, and that people should just guess that when you say you are okay with something you actually aren't okay with it, then I suggest you disabuse yourself of that notion as quickly as you can.

And don't talk to me about "right" and "wrong" as though there is some kind of universal morality we all adhere to of which you're the arbiter.
Like I said, agree to disagree. I think the right thing to do, regardless of what is said, is to make the person whole for doing you a favor. You do not agree with this, hence agreeing to disagree.

Salsa

Cru Jones said:
Neither. It sounds like a real enough story and I believe that you had to pay off some debt that you had racked up. But you come off as blaming the bank instead of just stating that you had some unexpected debt. Like I said earlier, this is just my first impression of you and you could e a stand up guy, but I've known too many people in my life that blame everyone but themselves for things that happen to them and I don't have any tolerance for that behavior. I took offense when you started attacking him like he was out of line in mentioning this.

the only reason i took any offense is because i was completely oblivous to this and i dont like to find out when people had an issue with me months later, specially when in between there's absolutely no mention of the situation, all seems to be good, except for the fact that someone on my friend list randomly disappeared from my friend list without a word (except for the last ones regarding the deal that were "no problem dude" or "no thanks".)

last thing someone says before disappearing from your friend list "no thanks man", months later, you find out what that dude thinks of you and he sees you after a deal that in my eyes went perfectly good. Yes i was offended by that.

Sorry if i came off as some sort of bitchin master or something, only reason i was blaming the bank is because i have my letters right here and the fee doesnt show up anywhere, neither can they tell me where its from. They just took my money. Of course i dont think im being "robbed" by the bank or anything. Im obviously sure that fee's justified, im just pissed off cause they failed to tell me about it before charging it.

Cru Jones said:
Like I said, agree to disagree. I think the right thing to do, regardless of what is said, is to make the person whole for doing you a favor. You do not agree with this, hence agreeing to disagree.

He doesnt disagree with that, he disagrees with the notion of implying there's no issue with something where there really is.

Its not like he said "couple of bucks short" then i said nothing in between, and the dude replied "its no problem". Im willing to bet that i explained it was probably fees, said i was sorry and i was willing to pay him back, and then he said he was ok.

You know what that does? builds trust. After that i know Stallion is a good dude, i know he's willing to help and its not like im gonna be riding his back telling him to buy me every fucking game (yet he was quick to assume this for some reason), i have a bit of self-respect for myself and others and im not comfortable if i "come off" like that, as any other sane person would do. Anyway that kind of trust is what ussually drives communitys/threads like this. When everyone know who's helpful and more often than not get "rewarded" with being helped as well, for example.

But nope, 0 word and bye from my friend list. Only reason i "attacked" him.

Cru Jones said:

I don't agree to disagree, I just think that you're wrong and foolish. Everything I've achieved in my life has been because I wasn't afraid to step up and say what I really meant instead of hoping that people would be able to figure it out.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
evlcookie said:
Use paypal?
Paypal will tell whoever gets money from them where you, who paid, is from. ANd that information comes from your CC.

So that doesn't work. If they cross that information over, of course.

Flunkie

Banned
Just tried out the Dungeon Defenders demo. So glad I didn't purchase it last night. After playing the Orcs Must Die demo, everything feels slow and cumbersome. Combat and camera especially. Not my thing at all.

JaseC

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Alice's soundtrack is so underrated. Well, everything about Alice: MR is underrated, but yeah. Good pick.

The music is superbly foreboding. "It may look nice, but as you know, perhaps more than most, appearances can be deceiving." (That's a mere paraphrase of something similar 'the cat' mentions.)

Wonderland (in general) and yesteryear Aperture Science are tied for my favourite environments of the year.

Edit: The beginning of Chapter 4 - Cardbridge - is so good.

VoIdXl.jpg

Chinner

Banned
i didn't want to say anything guys but salsa took pictures of me and sold them on the internet to fund his videogame addiction.

solarus

Very tempted by the GTA collection, but does anyone know if the episodes from liberty city games are better optimized for pc than gta iv was? I don't think my gtx 260 and q6600 will be able to play it all that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom