• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Pfft, only reviews anyone needs are The Waifu Hunter's and BioGamergirl's. Everything else is just second fiddle.

Put it in quote tags to reduce the size

Also, disappointed no one used this yet:

Uwzk6yr.gif

I always see that scene in NMH as...

Hinomura

Played a bit of Dying Light thanks to its demo on Steam.

For what I've played, it seems far better than Dead Island which I had found immediately more boring and more janky.

But, dat motion sickness :S it's been since Mirror's Edge I hadn't a similar motion sickness; anyway I managed to finish ME, so I'll endure Dying Light too, probably.

Now waiting for a nice deal!

Maniac

Banned
Techland has done surprisingly well with Dying Light, or rather has been doing good things for the community. The upcoming DLC "The Following" or some such is about the same map size as the base-game itself contains, with lots of new weapons and fucking customisable dune-buggies. This DLC wasn't originally part of the plan for the season pass, and despite being several times more content in and of itself than the season pass originally contained, it's still simply part of the season pass.

That's what I call fucking service. And it looks great, too. Also glad to see it has a demo, Steam demos have started to become quite popular again, which makes me really happy. Demos were the best thing in the 90's and early 2000's.

Yay vidyagaems!

I should totally buy that damn season pass shouldn't I?

Marow

Hiya.

How does cross-region gifting work on Steam? I ask since I've always been interested in Rocket Knight, but for who knows why Konami has region locked it so it's not available in Sweden (and when asked about it, they told me to change region). Can another person buy it and gift it to me?

Then again, I remember reading that Steam doesn't like cross-region stuff anymore.

Hinomura

Also glad to see it has a demo, Steam demos have started to become quite popular again, which makes me really happy. Demos were the best thing in the 90's and early 2000's.
In my opinion, it's much better the demo way "try and decide" than buying a game and eventually ask for a refund. Yay for demos!

Hiya.

How does cross-region gifting work on Steam? I ask since I've always been interested in Rocket Knight, but for who knows why Konami has region locked it so it's not available in Sweden (and when asked about it, they told me to change region). Can another person buy it and gift it to me?

Then again, I remember reading that Steam doesn't like cross-region stuff anymore.

Gifts from the US and most of Europe aren't region locked (Russia and neighboring countries are locked btw)

Teppic

This demo talk has gotten me download a bunch of demos. Tembo, Trackmania 2, ShootMania, Audiosurf 2, Tormentum, Shadow Warrior, Titan Souls. Didn't know there were so many demos.

Turfster

So... the HOMM7 beta might be doing the game more harm than good.
It's 6 again, only with a shittier GUI and some stuff from 3 bolted back on.

So... the HOMM7 beta might be doing the game more harm than good.
It's 6 again, only with a shittier GUI and some stuff from 3 bolted back on.
I was under the impression that 6 was pretty bad, so I'm surprised they're even making another. Ubisoft is weird.

Risk-averse publishers are a bad match for strategy franchises, especially elder ones. You can only stretch successful ideas so far before they start to feel repetitive/same-y.

What is HoMM7 even adding? I haven't kept up with it. 6 seemed interesting, but the UPlay shenanigans kept me far away from it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So while Steam was updating they made some changes to the market:

1) Pressing the "Remove" button now brings up a 2 button dialog, "Yes, remove this listing", or "No". A fix is incoming for Enhanced Steam's new "Edit Price" button which looks a little out of place now.

2) Placing an item on the market and receiving $3.00 or more for it now requires that you confirm this (similar to trades) by clicking a link they send to your email.

Huh, the library listing for Amnesia: Memories now has a TM next to the first word. I can't tell if this is them protecting a trademark or making plans for future installments of the series.

Placing an item on the market and receiving $3.00 or more for it now requires that you confirm this (similar to trades) by clicking a link they send to your email.

Ugh. The prevalence of email confirmation crap in Steam is really annoying.

I get that it's for security or whatever, but it's really inconvenient.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
While it's good that Valve requires email confirmation on high value trades, it seems kinda weird to me that they'd set a dollar amount even as high as $3.

On one hand, you've got the vast majority(?) of market transactions happening for less than $1, mostly cards probably. On the other hand, this is obviously a way to stop account thieves from dumping your inventory for cash and buying games to trade to themselves or whatever.

But it's almost like adding insult to injury, in that if you get hacked now it's much more likely that the thief will put your $100 CS:GO weapon on the market for $2.99 because $2.99 is better than nothing at all. So people will still lose their stuff, there is just less of an incentive for the account theft now.

I guess it's a good compromise, we certainly don't want to do this for every listing if we're listing trading cards for $0.03, but I give it a week before people start crying that someone logged in as them and sold their expensive items for $2.99 each.

derExperte

I want a button I can press that says 'I accept 100% responsibility for every fuck-up that happens, now deactivate all email confirmations and market limits. Also no refunds but remove the 2hr card drop limit.'

Sch1sm

I want a button I can press that says 'I accept 100% responsibility for every fuck-up that happens, now deactivate all email confirmations and market limits. Also no refunds but remove the 2hr card drop limit.'

This would be so welcome. I'd go for it right away, no care. I'm so sick of having to go through my email to confirm trades, and having myself log into a browser rather than client and being locked out of the market for a week. Ridiculous.

mrgone

Ugh. The prevalence of email confirmation crap in Steam is really annoying.

I get that it's for security or whatever, but it's really inconvenient.

You can disable the trade confirmation emails through your profile privacy settings, but then Valve won't take any responsibility for anything that potentially goes bad during a trade. The market and card drop limits don't seem to have a similar option though, so far :(

This would be so welcome. I'd go for it right away, no care. I'm so sick of having to go through my email to confirm trades, and having myself log into a browser rather than client and being locked out of the market for a week. Ridiculous.

Isn't there an option to turn off the trade confirm via email?

Finished Dark Souls and Puzzler World today.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a great time with Dark Souls. I didn't sucks as much as I expected. I was pretty lucky in getting the trident for the Knight's Honour achievement since the first channeler I killed in the archives dropped it for me. Co-op is kind of spotty with the summoning so I hope the system is better in the later games. Also,
both endings for the game kind of suck.

Next, Puzzler World is a fairly casual game so anyone can pick up and play it. The puzzles aren't too difficult except I suck at crosswords since I don't know people and random facts. There are hint coins you can use if you get stuck though. The game consists of 14 different types of puzzles.

- Codeword
- Crossword
- Sudoku
- Wordsearch
- Silhouette
- Spot the Difference
- Picture Quiz*
- Hangman*
- Link-A-Pix
- Fitword
- Chainletter*
- Missing Piece*
- Equate*
- Jigsaw

The ones with an asterisk are bonus puzzles that follow each of the other puzzles so technically there are 1120 puzzles in Challenge Mode instead of 560. Took a while to complete all of them. Achievements aren't hard to get since it's just completing 10 of each type of puzzle. The game is nice to play at any point since a puzzle only take a few minutes to do.

Lomax

Yeah, I really wish there was an opt-out for refunds just like that, even if it was on a game by game basis. At very least the 2 hour wait for cards should go away once the refund period has passed, but I'm sure that would require a much more complex level of system than Valve is willing to put time into.

Finished Dark Souls

Had a great time with Dark Souls. I didn't sucks as much as I expected. I was pretty lucky in getting the trident for the Knight's Honour achievement since the first channeler I killed in the archives dropped it for me. Co-op is kind of spotty with the summoning so I hope the system is better in the later games. Also,
both endings for the game kind of suck.
So good. CoOp is much more better system in DS2. You can really look forward to that. I used to do TONS of coop, helped others with bosses. The most time at the boss spoiler
Ancient Dragon.

Ozium

I think they should just make it so there is no 2 hour wait time bullshit for games redeemed via retail keys, since they cannot be refunded anyways

relegate only steam store purchases to the 2 hour wait time

I think they should just make it so there is no 2 hour wait time bullshit for games redeemed via retail keys, since they cannot be refunded anyways

That would require more effort on their part. :p

Dsyndrome

How would that work without setting it up case by case? With the refunds, someone has to manually check your method of purchase anyway and other exemplifying info.

Not saying it can't be done, but I feel like there'd be a whole lot of backend for little benefit to Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom