• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

all I want out of retail keys is for the activation to show up on your activity feed as a newly obtained game

im sure there's people out there that dont even know I got MGSV, how can I deal with this

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I can't tell if one of my fans is dead or Rocket League is just the hottest game I've ever played
qPiCbnW.gif

Turfster

What did I miss again?
Price errors?
Noooooooooooooo..

You missed nothing.
Valve was messing with the languages, and people just went nuts.

What is HoMM7 even adding? I haven't kept up with it. 6 seemed interesting, but the UPlay shenanigans kept me far away from it.

I got this from my buddy the big HOMM fan that I gave my key to, so that's all I have at the moment.
I could ask for more info if you really need to know, but imo, all you need to know is that he's "going to wait for the game to be in a bundle in a couple of years".
This from the guy that played each HOMM on release, so...

why you guys hype that divinty got funded? i could've told you that, if it wasn't today it would've gotten funded before the kickstarter ended.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
why you guys hype that divinty got funded? i could've told you that, if it wasn't today it would've gotten funded before the kickstarter ended.

Why do people vote? Why do they go to church? Why do they look into their child's wide, vacant eyes and lie them to sleep with platitudes and fairytales?

To be a part of something bigger and maybe, hopefully, not have to look that monster in the mirror and shout why.

FIN.

Why do people vote? Why do they go to church? Why do they look into their child's wide, vacant eyes and lie them to sleep with platitudes and fairytales?

To be a part of something bigger and maybe, hopefully, not have to look that monster in the mirror and shout why.

FIN.
you're letting the hype get to you breh
There's nothing else to hype.

mgs is next week, lets hype up my theory of chico being the actual main character after reverting back to a male.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: "I should be able to override all the safeguards, I promise I won't complain" -- One problem is that, say 10% of people who do this will then choose to complain, probably with something like "Look, I know I agreed not to get help, but I made a mistake, and why are you punishing me? I'll read better next time?". "Who even reads that stuff before choosing it" "I thought that just applied to people falling for obvious scams but this is different because" "I thought the refund thing was just for people who treat games like rentals, the game won't even open on my computer, why won't you give me a refund?". There's also the PR fallout of people who are unhappy getting a public voice and then more resources to respond to it.

Like, I think these kinds of things need to be evaluated in light of the fact that they only emerged as responses to people's dumb behaviour. It's not like Valve was proactive on this. After years of people complaining endlessly about scams and lack of refunds, they finally responded. So viewed through that lens, not giving people quite the benefit of the doubt seems pretty reasonable to me.

Ozium

How would that work without setting it up case by case? With the refunds, someone has to manually check your method of purchase anyway and other exemplifying info.

Not saying it can't be done, but I feel like there'd be a whole lot of backend for little benefit to Valve.

because if you look at your purchase history it says how each game was acquired, it will either say steam store purchase or 'retail key' so it already knows

IT ALREADY KNOWS

Maniac

Banned
RE: "I should be able to override all the safeguards, I promise I won't complain" -- One problem is that, say 10% of people who do this will then choose to complain, probably with something like "Look, I know I agreed not to get help, but I made a mistake, and why are you punishing me? I'll read better next time?". "Who even reads that stuff before choosing it" "I thought that just applied to people falling for obvious scams but this is different because" "I thought the refund thing was just for people who treat games like rentals, the game won't even open on my computer, why won't you give me a refund?". There's also the PR fallout of people who are unhappy getting a public voice and then more resources to respond to it.

Like, I think these kinds of things need to be evaluated in light of the fact that they only emerged as responses to people's dumb behaviour. It's not like Valve was proactive on this. After years of people complaining endlessly about scams and lack of refunds, they finally responded. So viewed through that lens, not giving people quite the benefit of the doubt seems pretty reasonable to me.

I personally think it's odd that you can override the majority of the safeguards, but not all of them. The current override implementation simply doesn't make any sense.

And ofcourse, I sodding wish they'd get off their arses and change it so the 2-hour-till-drops only applied to games purchased via the Steam storefront, and not third-party keys. :|

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Enter the Dragon Punch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Amnesia: Memories -- MB-55B7354E0006267A - Taken by Jawmuncher. 43 entrants total.

t1440724337z1.png

From the store page:

You awaken to find your memories gone. To learn the truth behind your amnesia, youll choose from five romantic paths, each its own world. With 20+ endings, can you write the lasting love story you deserve, or will your love and life come to an end?

Are you ready to hunt a 2d boyfriend, SteamGAF?

Please only enter if you enjoy visual novels and Japanese games! :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I think their response to the obvious scams in this case is perfectly reasonable, and I actually kinda hope they don't give people the option to disable this one*. An account's marketplace items have been a huge "honeypot" for potential scammers. While most people have very little of value just sitting in their inventory, most of the high profile accounts that scammers are hoping to hook could potentially be worth thousands of dollars. Turning those thousands of dollars into (maybe) a hundred bucks means that even the biggest jackpots for scammers are worth significantly less.

This means that in a lot of cases, the cost of operating bots will hopefully outweigh the benefit, and as a result we should see less scam activity overall. Giving people an out just means that the jackpot gets raised again, giving further incentive but with lowered odds of finding the right target. But in all likelihood still profitable.

Besides, how much market activity is everyone really doing over $3 per transaction? If you put your $200 CS:GO knife up on the market, aren't you kind of glad that Valve is double-checking with you that that's really what you want to do?

*Of course it could have a better implementation, such as only requiring 1 confirmation per account per IP address per 2 hour time limit, just to decrease the inconvenience of using the system while only (very) slightly decreasing it's usefulness.

I got this from my buddy the big HOMM fan that I gave my key to, so that's all I have at the moment.
I could ask for more info if you really need to know, but imo, all you need to know is that he's "going to wait for the game to be in a bundle in a couple of years".
This from the guy that played each HOMM on release, so...

Oh, no need to go to that trouble. Your buddy's reaction is all the response I need.

Y'know, more than anything else HoMM-related I want a Dark Messiah 2. That's a great game.

Caerith

It isn't whether it got funded. It's what trajectory its funding will take and what that means for possible stretch goals.

I've been away from Steam for a long time so I don't know the newest good games.
How's Shadowrun Hong Kong?
And Pillars of Eternity?

I might not be able to buy them in the near future but I'm actively looking out for them.

I've noticed that the Groupees coin I got way back in one of the Be Mine bundles is now worth $4 instead of $3 after a week. Who knows, maybe by early next year, it will be worth enough to buy the high tier of one of those Dynamite Comic Bundles.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Well, DR3 got a new patch
(unannounced and before Arkham Knight lol)
to fix the insta-crashes for AMD users on Win10. No idea if it fixes anything else though, will let you know after it finishes verifying.

I've noticed that the Groupees coin I got way back in one of the Be Mine bundles is now worth $4 instead of $3 after a week. Who knows, maybe by early next year, it will be worth enough to buy the high tier of one of those Dynamite Comic Bundles.

Same, it seems to be worth $3.95 now.

Wanted to try for a couple minutes but played over an hour. Game is really good. Even though there are so many brutal weapons a single zombie running behind scared me shittless. I was really tensing up, damn.
City and parkouring is also very well done. I'm more intrigued than before the demo.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Well, The Witcher 3 Sure Proved A Point

You may have seen the news today that The Witcher 3 has sold well over 6 million copies. Impressive! We don’t normally like to talk about raw sales figures here on Kotaku, but I think there’s a lesson to be learned from this particular success.

The most obvious one is that good video games sell. Duh. But there’s something more to The Witcher 3’s appeal than just its review scores.

The Witcher 3 is an entirely singleplayer experience. It’s Good Old Game release is free of DRM. It received a bunch of free DLC. It took four years to come out, rather than being rushed to fit an annual release schedule.

In many ways, a game like The Witcher 3 doesn’t belong in today’s world, a time where games are being designed as much around payment models, multiplayer metrics, pricey DLC and social marketing as they are player experiences.

Yet not everyone plays games to compete, or to share, or to show off. I play games to escape, by myself, and it’s fantastic that in 2015 a company was willing to still put time and money into making something as grand, generous and personal as The Witcher 3.

I guess six million other people thought the same.

And backed!
Steam is dead
Long live steam
Xbone controller no longer works in some other games under win10, its common problem.
I mean MS made it function exactly like 360 controllers, shouldn't even be a problem.
Finished Hotline Miami 2

no idea what it was about
No many does I'm afraid, at least not before reading up analysis done by other gaffers.

Here you go!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Atraveller, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Mass Effect 2 -- MB-652CF1D0DFE15186 - Taken by iosefe. 3 entrants total.
Freedom Planet -- MB-C2C3548FB2512C60 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 2 entrants total.
Outland - Special Edition -- MB-FB6E1BD53AF9D577 - Taken by Lolcomin. 2 entrants total.
Star Trek -- MB-55E59C59A66E376E - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.

t1440645257z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom