• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

Remastered still gives you the original version as well! Good move :)

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered is already in your Steam library

ibcggxvja2hweik3ujt.gif

alsoplzrspnd2stmmsg

Dunder Alert!

The Alienware Stream is going to have a Speedrunners competition tomorrow, you better get in there Dunder!

I will make it my life mission to make them cry! (I'm probably gonna cry though, havent played for ages).
What time is this competition and how do I enter?

I will make it my life mission to make them cry! (I'm probably gonna cry though, havent played for ages).
What time is this competition and how do I enter?

During the stream, they will give a queue command to include players. When you see the command, enter it as soon as you can.

Also, add AWlenard to your Steam Friendlist.

Aug 6, 2015 - Aug 6, 2015
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM, CDT (GMT -05:00)

I think be at stream for joining info.

During the stream, they will give a queue command to include players. When you see the command, enter it as soon as you can.

Also, add AWlenard to your Steam Friendlist.

Cool, thanks a lot for the info, this gives me some time to get back home from work and practice a bit!
Even installing it here at the laptop, anyone wanna play in a moment? Hotel's wifi isn't perfect, so ping might be bad, but necessity knows no law!

Binged about 5 hours earlier today in Binary Domain.
Pacing is perfect. I never got bored of a section. And there always really cool setpieces happening with fun boss fights.

Game. Is. Remarkable. Fun.

e9weE7l.gif
VgYwujb.gif

Loving the huge constructs.

jNKEPz5.gif

And a little bit of sweet, sweet destruction.

Pakkidis

Pacing is perfect. I never got bored of a section. And there always really cool setpieces happening with fun boss fights.

e9weE7l.gif
VgYwujb.gif

jNKEPz5.gif

Yup, beat it twice on 360, looking forward to playing it again on PC.

e9weE7l.gif
VgYwujb.gif

jNKEPz5.gif

It really is a great game.

Maniac

Banned
Shiiieeeet, is there anything better than deleting a bloated-ass Windows.old folder? Cause I can't think of any.

Also glad to see W10 seems to have finally sorted administrative accounts having administrative access. About fucking time, but better late than never.

Steam really needs to fix how their UI scales at high resolutions. Playing Mafia 2 at 4K on an actual 4K tv(ie, not downsampling) and the UI is tiny. Don't want to use their console interface all the time.

AHA-Lambda

How come Binary Domain got such a middling reception when it launched, but is otherwise beloved by everyone else?

I'm genuinely curious, I've not played the game.

Maniac

Banned
I want Binary Domain.

Give it 'ere, Veggie.

Or atleast keep posting those GIFs for me to suckle on.

Mentally.

And physically.
Don't ask.

That Mad Max deal seems a little sketchy. Almost half off for a pre-order? Last time I got that good of a deal was with Arkham Knight.

That didn't work out well.

I only got as far as a section where I was trapped in water (its right in the beginning of the game) and found the game frustrating. I stopped there and never continued. Anyone else have that happen?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I only got as far as a section where I was trapped in water (its right in the beginning of the game) and found the game frustrating. I stopped there and never continued. Anyone else have that happen?

You should really give it another chance. It's quite the fun journey.

Man, that is basically still the tutorial! You have to swim and evade water mines and drone lasers. It's a very short level, maybe 1 minute long only. I don't think pushing yourself is good to get joy out of a game but it does change a lot after that. You might wanna give it a shot sometime when you're in the mood.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That Mad Max deal seems a little sketchy. Almost half off for a pre-order? Last time I got that good of a deal was with Arkham Knight.

That didn't work out well.

Seems publishers and developers would rather you pay half price to a store without refunds rather than have you pay full price to a store that does. Makes sense if your game is shit.

Dsyndrome

Oh shit, my number came up for letting me upgrade to Windows 10.

DS4 works with tweaks, and the nvidia driver thing is worked out right? Trying to think of any last minute reasons not to do it now.

You snazzy people with your Windows 10s. No one needs that yet! Always wait till the first Service Pack! Glad you beta-test for me!

...silently checks dreamspark for Windows 10 serial ;_;

gdt

Why are you guys acting like GMG hasn't been doing at least 40% off for ever. Especially with WB and SE games.

Dsyndrome

That update took less than 10 minutes, must be fucking sorcery. Other thing was that it never asked if I wanted to keep anything, just did it.

Time to make a batch file for InputMappper, wish Witcher 3 was updated to test stuff out.

Vlad

So after having it in my inventory for a good long while, not really getting into it, and having the remastered version spur my interest, I plowed my way through No Time To Explain.

It's... ok.

It starts out really great in the first few levels, but you get this feeling that they were rushed/disinterested/whatever as time goes on. The starting levels and bosses are great and really clever, but as the game goes on, everything starts to feel a bit more bland. Sure, there's lots of variety, but it never lives up to what you see in the first quarter of the game. For example, there's two auto-scrolling sections in the game, and the first one, about 1/3 of the way in, is great. There's lots of variety in what's happening, some interesting visuals, and it's just a neat experience. The second one is just so bland in comparison.

Still, it's a short enough game that you never feel bored by anything, which is at least an improvement on some of the other games I've played recently.

derExperte

Completed Stick of Truth. First half wasn't too hot, second much better but then it ended after not even 15hrs with every quest and not-missable achievement done. A little underwhelming tbh, I expected more content and the core gameplay (fights) felt unsatisfying. Too easy? Too much meaningless loot? Humor that rarely went beyond fan-service?

Completed Stick of Truth. First half wasn't too hot, second much better but then it ended after not even 15hrs with every quest and not-missable achievement done. A little underwhelming tbh, I expected more content and the core gameplay (fights) felt unsatisfying. Too easy? Too much meaningless loot? Humor that rarely went beyond fan-service?

man i loved every single second of the game but I love south park so theres that.

Salsa

it is easy yeah, but it manages to still be really fun mechanically to me

it's like Paper Mario even in that way, not just the combat system

game is fantastic and I love being reminded there's another one coming

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wait, Win10 SP1 is out today?
What.

Just a regular update rollup from Microsoft. We've traditionally seen these every month in Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1, although this one is pretty beefy since it's the first monthly update rollup since Windows 10 released. The article linked said that we might even see these update rollups weekly for the next few weeks while they continue ironing out all the bugs.

The last of the hidden object bundle games is upon us! Whew! So here we go with Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink

You play Evangeline Glass, who it's implied is a spy. You're in a steampunk world - one in which they worship inventors and scientists as saints, as a nice touch in the bonus chapter - and are called to action by your friend, Dr. Ambrose Ink (okay, Glass is a reasonable last name, but I've never heard of someone called Ink. Quite a stretch for the title's sake.) He's investigating earthquakes and has determined the source of the earthquakes is the country of Hochwald, which might as well be Nazi Germany. I gotta say that's really disappointing. Is there anything more cliche than a Nazi-analogue enemy? Like, right down to the bad German accents and yelling "Achtung!" out of proper context. I guess the Polish developers still have grudges or something. ANYHOO, your job is to stop Hitler Barber and his Iron Giant-like golems, and stop the earthquakes.

You know what makes a story good? Motivation. If it was mentioned WHY this dude was starting earthquakes, it completely missed me - and I watch all the cutscenes. Once again, I suppose people with German accents don't need reasons to do bad things; they're just inherently evil.

And don't get me started on the Big Bang Theory (sitcom) reference in the first five minutes of the game. Vile.

The puzzles themselves were fine, nothing too unfair, but in the bonus chapter it fell into the terrible trap of "Hey you, I don't know you, but can you do this for me? In exchange, I'll give you this seemingly useless item I found...you know, a totally fair trade."

The graphics were good, and they did a passing fair attempt at animating the dialogue properly, so extra points for that.

The music and sound effects can get quite loud and distracting, especially during the puzzles, so I recommend turning the volume down for this one. The voices on Ink and Glass were good. The barmaid was okay. Everyone else just had me shaking my head.

The game took me 3.5 hours, including the bonus chapter. So it's an average length. The main campaign felt short, so it was nice to pad it out with the bonus chapter.

Games with Steampunk settings are rare enough, so it's always sad when they're not done well. If you play these games for just the puzzles and hidden objects, then go for it. If you play it for the story, give this one a pass because it's just plain ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom