• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Doop

You know, I just realized that I've never played an actual Final Fantasy game. I have one of the Tactics games, but no mainline series games.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Indie Gala Capsule Computers "Friday Special" Bundle #19

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

Flix The Flea (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Power-Up (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Organ Biker (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Dark Raid (STEAM)
Relativity Wars - A Science Space RTS (STEAM)
Ruzh Delta Z (STEAM)
In Exilium (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Grail to the Thief (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Shot In The Dark (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Wimp: Who Stole My Pants? (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Reversi (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Brilliant Bob (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS

L.O.R.D

CL0IGzEW8AA6jdK.jpg

There is no fun in stupid, really heated arguments over opinions.

Oh, I'm not defending it, it was sarcasm.

Like I said above I've been avoiding it for a long time.
Same for any franchise, actually.
There's this compulsive need to rank every franchise from best to worst and have your opinion of this ranking prevail, it's incredibly silly.

Comparing the merits and drawbacks of different gameplay mechanics or approaches to game design is obviously very interesting (hell, at the end of the day it's the reason this forum exists) but people inevitably get too invested and invariably resort to hyperbole to say everything in the games they don't like just plain sucks and people who like it suck as well.
The inability to accept other's opinions is the downfall of almost every discussion of this kind.

Amazing.

You know, I just realized that I've never played an actual Final Fantasy game. I have one of the Tactics games, but no mainline series games.

The Tactics games are imo among the best the franchise has to offer but obviously very different from mainline.
And even mainline can be so different from each other that you might love some and hate others.

Dsyndrome

All this talk about Final Fantasy has caused me to install FF XIII and add it to my rotating playlist. Maybe I'll finish it this time (in a couple of years).

Edit: Good lord, 50GB of uncompressed assets.

why would you read a book about a guy going back in time to run around historical setpieces

just read a book about the history of the area instead.

why are people doing this to themselves

Dsyndrome

Apparently Edge can't run with UAC off in W10. If I turn the stupid thing on, then you won't let me create files in the central C: Drive.

I've hated this feature ever since it was implemented. I'm the only user for this laptop, Windows.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
All this talk about Final Fantasy has caused me to install FF XIII and add it to my rotating playlist. Maybe I'll finish it this time (in a couple of years).

Edit: Good lord, 50GB of uncompressed assets.

They have cutscenes for both Japanese and english, it's real big because of it :/

Would have liked to have had an option before to decide which language files to download.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
why would you read a book about a guy going back in time to run around historical setpieces

just read a book about the history of the area instead.

why are people doing this to themselves

That's kind of a weird criticism of the potential plotline.

Why read any work of fiction, then?

Reposting for new page and almost ending, enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for darkchewie:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sideway New York -- MB-64F15E74D9B9DBCA - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.
Battleplan: American Civil War -- MB-593AB8E5946929F1 - Taken by texhnolyze. 5 entrants total.

t1438964783z1.png

That's kind of a weird criticism of the potential plotline.

Why read any work of fiction, then?

I guess i would need to explain where im coming from when i play AC

I pretty much enjoy them as virtual tourism. I loved going around Venice and Rome, seeing the historical landmarks, checking out an approximation of what those places were like during those times. That's a major part of the allure for me when it comes to this series.

So I was assuming the same of others. And so my statement comes from that, that i thought it would be weird to want to read about those things in that context through the prism of AC novelizations than just read about them in better written, better detailed non-fiction books.

So i suppose that's a bit unfair to the books and the people who would be interested in them

Parsnip

Yeah I think we should absolutely stop discussing about which games we like and dislike on a game discussion forum...?

We should talk about anime instead.
And post pics of our favorite animes.

Apparently Edge can't run with UAC off in W10. If I turn the stupid thing on, then you won't let me create files in the central C: Drive.

I've hated this feature ever since it was implemented. I'm the only user for this laptop, Windows.
All modern apps will fail to launch if you disable UAC entirely, not just Edge. Yup, it blows but oh well.

Ban Puncher

Yeah I think we should absolutely stop discussing about which games we like and dislike on a game discussion forum...?

BTHUmHz.gif

DID SOMEBODY SAY ANIME JIFS?

BECAUSE I THINK I JUST HEARD SOMEBODY SAY ANIME JIFS.

Oh, I'm not defending it, it was sarcasm.

Like I said above I've been avoiding it for a long time.
Same for any franchise, actually.
There's this compulsive need to rank every franchise from best to worst and have your opinion of this ranking prevail, it's incredibly silly.

Comparing the merits and drawbacks of different gameplay mechanics or approaches to game design is obviously very interesting (hell, at the end of the day it's the reason this forum exists) but people inevitably get too invested and invariably resort to hyperbole to say everything in the games they don't like just plain sucks and people who like it suck as well.
The inability to accept other's opinions is the downfall of almost every discussion of this kind.

My bad I my sarcasm detector is quite weak in the morning. I agree with you. I don't mind discussion just wish people went about it a better way.

Way to go you just ruined this thread before post 5000.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I guess i would need to explain where im coming from when i play AC

I pretty much enjoy them as virtual tourism. I loved going around Venice and Rome, seeing the historical landmarks, checking out an approximation of what those places were like during those times. That's a major part of the allure for me when it comes to this series.

So I was assuming the same of others. And so my statement comes from that, that i thought it would be weird to want to read about those things in that context through the prism of AC novelizations than just read about them in better written, better detailed non-fiction books.

So i suppose that's a bit unfair to the books and the people who would be interested in them

I can understand that reasoning because it's similar to my own that I apply to most adaptations of properties (especially the other way where something is being adapted to a game).

People always say that "X" would make a perfect video game, but they never really give it any thought beyond a surface level asthetic. What is it exactly that you like about the property in question? How specifically does that translate to systems and gameplay routines?

But I think the mistake here is to assume these Assasin's Creed novels would focus on the "running around in a realized, historically-inspired world" appeal of the games and not the broad scifi plotlines. That's realistically all you can adapt here.

Though it makes me think I should buy the rights to old travel guides and just randomly add a few lines about stabbing someone through the throat and escaping on roof tops to a lovely little cafe that serves the best biscotti you'll ever have -- Five Stars.

user237

Indie Gala Capsule Computers "Friday Special" Bundle #19

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

Flix The Flea (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS

Flix the Flea is a pretty strange game. The whole concept of the game is that you have fallen to the bottom of a pit and you have to jump out (sort of like the E.T. falling pits). But you have to do it using a very minimal control scheme... there is no jump button, just 2 buttons for left and right... and you control how far you jump by how long you hold the left/right button.

It's actually a remake (fan remake? not sure) of some super obscure computer game that came out in the early 80s. Strange that someone bothered to remake such an obscure game.

It's actually well-made in the sense of being bug-free. Obviously the person who made it took care in its production. But the concept of the game isn't really worth it.

Vibranium

Banned
Nice to see Microsoft supporting Steam, I hope they continue to do through the far future.

If they want to put games on their store they better not cut Steam out, give customers an option. Offer benefits to lure people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom