• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

I'm not even in the beta, it was the recent official release update that happened a week ago or so. I think the issue may have been more with Steam than the controller, so maybe a client update was what fixed it.

The same employee in question basically said that it is indeed with the client itself. Maybe they did a revert on the normal client or something?

On the beta client I'm still losing configs if I back out before exporting, but the whole thing is a bit snappier now.

EDIT: Nevermind, spoke too soon. Gaaah. ><;

EDIT 2: This part is what really makes you believe in the Steam Controller.

notbad2us34.jpg

Not the best score around, but the mere fact that I can go into a casual game of Counter-Strike and keep a positive score using entirely the Steam Controller is just awesome.

Gurnlei

Just ordered myself one today. Reading over this thread convinced me more into getting one than the dozen of videos I watched.

Anyone tried Morrowind with it?

Nabs

Whoa. New Beta Update:

Steam Controller
  • Improved Steam Controller support from the desktop interface:
    [*]The controller configuration for a game can now be edited from its desktop library context menu
    [*]Games launched via the desktop client with an active Steam Controller can optionally use the Big Picture overlay.
  • Improved speed of downloading and publishing configurations
  • Fixed loading public configurations that were creating with the old system
  • Improved reliability of changing settings while in-game
  • Added the ability to save bindings to a local file on disk
  • Improved responsiveness of deleting configurations
  • Legacy auto-saves from the previous system are now shown and accessible amongst personal bindings.
  • Added 5 and 10 minute auto power-off options.
  • Improved XInput compatibility for some games (Final Fantasy 14)
  • Added option to use Desktop Configuration for shortcuts to improve compatibility with Launchers. If not used, any launchers or sub-applications will always use the specified configuration rather than the desktop one. Defaults to use Desktop Configuration.
  • Fixed Joystick Camera not sending Pad Click if you started pressing at the edge of the pad.
  • Fixed mouse horizontal inversion not respecting rotation properly.
  • Improved controller behavior when entering and exiting Standby or Suspend. Zombie controllers should no longer be shown in the controller list and controllers should be properly recognized upon return.
  • Improved support for pure Mouse/Keyboard and Mixed X-Input. Configurations with no x-input controls whatsoever will no long appear as a controller to the application.
  • Fixed action set selection UI with native games with large number of action sets

Lister

Banned
Whoa. New Beta Update:

Steam Controller
  • Improved Steam Controller support from the desktop interface:
    [*]The controller configuration for a game can now be edited from its desktop library context menu
    [*]Games launched via the desktop client with an active Steam Controller can optionally use the Big Picture overlay.
  • Improved speed of downloading and publishing configurations
  • Fixed loading public configurations that were creating with the old system
  • Improved reliability of changing settings while in-game
  • Improved responsiveness of deleting configurations
  • Legacy auto-saves from the previous system are now shown and accessible amongst personal bindings.
  • Added 5 and 10 minute auto power-off options.
  • Added option to use Desktop Configuration for shortcuts to improve compatibility with Launchers. If not used, any launchers or sub-applications will always use the specified configuration rather than the desktop one. Defaults to use Desktop Configuration.
  • Fixed Joystick Camera not sending Pad Click if you started pressing at the edge of the pad.
  • Fixed mouse horizontal inversion not respecting rotation properly.
  • Improved controller behavior when entering and exiting Standby or Suspend. Zombie controllers should no longer be shown in the controller list and controllers should be properly recognized upon return.
  • Improved support for pure Mouse/Keyboard and Mixed X-Input. Configurations with no x-input controls whatsoever will no long appear as a controller to the application.
  • Fixed action set selection UI with native games with large number of action sets

OH MY! Goodbye zombie controllers!

Sophia

Is it working perfectly with the beta?

I haven't adjusted any configurations yet, so I'll get back to you on that but...

untitledx0suu.jpg

EDIT: Controller configuration just saved instantly. Was able to delete some "phantom" configurations saved too with no issues. It works. :)

Unai

And this controller keeps getting better!

Just tested it in Mass Effect and the big picture overlay works well in desktop mode.

Booted Firewatch last night for the first time and was pleasantly surprised by native Steam Controller support. Everything was perfect out of the box.

me0wish

I haven't adjusted any configurations yet, so I'll get back to you on that but...

EDIT: Controller configuration just saved instantly. Was able to delete some "phantom" configurations saved too with no issues. It works. :)

That's great, glad to see you're having a positive experience ;D

Oreoleo

Great update. It could have been just the ability to save configs locally and I'd be satisfied. Valve went above and beyond.

swarley64

I bought one of these about a week ago, but so far have only used it for web browsing... I've been looking to try out Door Kickers, is that a good steam controller game?

Oreoleo

I bought one of these about a week ago, but so far have only used it for web browsing... I've been looking to try out Door Kickers, is that a good steam controller game?

Eh, I'm not so sure actually. Of course, it'll work with the controller no problem. But the whole game is basically the mouse and space bar IIRC. There's a lot of fiddling with precise positioning and commands that is very mouse heavy that is doable with the controller but the lower actions per minute and accuracy might end up getting in the way of the game. I hate to admit that as I feel like I'm one of the biggest Steam controller evangelists around here and use it for practically everything these days even when I'm sitting at my desk, but Door Kickers is one of the very few games I'd reach for keyboard and mouse every time. It's a great game though!

Sophia

There appears to be some issue with non-steam apps added to Steam still. The controller configurations do not always appear to be sticking for these games, even if you save them locally. You can, of course, change them and then simply not close out of the configuration menu, but upon reentering the menu the configuration will usually revert. If no configuration has been selected since the update, you get some really messed up behavior too.

I cannot get the controller configuration for Chocolate Doom to stick at all. This is what I have set as a controller configuration for it, but when I actually get in game, it reverts to some generic profile with the arrow keys on the analog stick. The overlay doesn't work with Chocolate Doom either. Very unfortunate.

There does not appear to be any actual issue with games you actually own on your steam account tho. I've tested out Counter-Strike and Left 4 Dead 2 and they both preserve the configuration every time.

EDIT: Might just be an issue with a few specific games? Guild Wars 2 is working for me just fine at any rate, and that's also non-Steam. *shrugs*

EDIT 2: Nope, spoke too soon. I am unable to change the Guild Wars 2 configuration from what it currently is, even if I save a local binding and delete all others. The moment I back out of the menu, it automatically reverts. Luckily, I can save the configuration itself...

EDIT 3: Saving it as a non-local configuration worked for Guild Wars 2, but not for Chocolate Doom... hmm...

Pachimari

• Games launched via the desktop client with an active Steam Controller can optionally use the Big Picture overlay.

These sound really good.

Now I should dust off my Steam controller, and experiment with it again. I will probably need some help for configurations. I'll try out Oxenfree first.

With all these automatic overlay options outside of big picture in this update, I'm surprised you still have to load up BPM and then minimize it to use the keyboard overlay on the desktop.

Wow, that's quite the update. With the improved saving, and the ability to edit configurations outside of BPM, my major complaints about the controller are gone for now. However, unfortunately I've come to expect that new, major issues will pop up again ..

Also, opening BPM is still weirdly inconsistent for me, though less important now; often, I'll press the Steam button, and all that happens is that the Steam entry starts flashing on the application bar. I haven't been able to replicate it consistently, however.

Durante

The controller configuration for a game can now be edited from its desktop library context menu
Games launched via the desktop client with an active Steam Controller can optionally use the Big Picture overlay.
Fuck yeah!

Pachimari

Where do I configure a game's controller configuration outside of BPM? There's nothing in the context menu if I right click a game in my library.

derFeef

Fuck yeah!

Times two!

I was playing The Secret World yesterday. There was a community config for it and it works like a charm. The controller is very good for MMO's I have to say.
Only thing I need to learn is mouse-cursor clicking, I always slip off the item when I click. Maybe I need to change the button for it.

I'm very happy, but I don't like that these new features only exist when the controller is turned on. I'm never going to use the controller itself to edit configurations unless I'm actually away from my desktop, so there's no reason for my controller to be turned on if I'm editing a configuration from the desktop before launching a game. The same goes for when I'm launching a game from the desktop. I often neglect to turn my Steam Controller on before launching because I'm only using desktop mode when I'm sitting at my desktop, using my keyboard and mouse.

Hasney

My controller is waiting for me to pick up after work, so glad it sounds like some stuff is fixed. Gonna lay back and play some XCom 2 tonight.

Nzyme32

Updated and cleaned up the OP a bit. Going to add some more sections to explain the non-steam game stuff as well as windows uses.

For new folks, the December 2015 Update has a bunch of nicely laid out info and demos of changes. It does a much more effective job of showing off recent changes, so I hope Valve keep doing that sort of stuff to keep people informed.

The latest Feb 9th Beta changes for the controller all sound so welcome. Particularly desktop use rather than just BPM, especially when not with the TV using BPM.

Why does it seem like you can't play local co-op using a Steam controller AND an XB1 controller? None of the games I've tried work with the pair, even though both work in Steam itself.

Thats what is bugging me the most. Its either the 360 controller or the Steam controller. Both dont seem to work together in games.

store.steampowered.com/app/367670/

Does anyone if the program above enables the Steam controller qwerty keyboard when typing in Windows?
I'm trying to setup a HTPC, but the person absolutely doesn't want to have a keyboard in the living room and isn't really into the idea of using their phone as the way to control it either. This might be exactly what they if it works the way I'm hoping.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Where do I configure a game's controller configuration outside of BPM? There's nothing in the context menu if I right click a game in my library.

The controller needs to be on.

I updated to the new firmware and tested this out myself. Nothing.

Even restarted my PC and Steam a few times, making sure the controller is on the entire time and recognized.

Do I need to start BPM and THEN minimize or close it for the magic to happen?

Nabs

I updated to the new firmware and tested this out myself. Nothing.

Even restarted my PC and Steam a few times, making sure the controller is on the entire time and recognized.

Do I need to start BPM and THEN minimize or close it for the magic to happen?

You need to opt into the Steam Beta.

Nzyme32

store.steampowered.com/app/367670/

Does anyone if the program above enables the Steam controller qwerty keyboard when typing in Windows?
I'm trying to setup a HTPC, but the person absolutely doesn't want to have a keyboard in the living room and isn't really into the idea of using their phone as the way to control it either. This might be exactly what they if it works the way I'm hoping.

As long as Steam is open / minimised, you can already do this without apps. Just press the left stick in to bring up the keyboard anytime and type. Press X to move it around the screen should you need to.

Also I only realised this recently but when typing with the steam keyboard, you don't need to press the pads in to enter the key; you can actually use the triggers. For some reason I actually find it faster and easier to use the triggers

thefil

Everyone in this thread is going so deep while I'm just happy to have a controller with decent battery life, uses AAs, and still works over Bluetooth at 10 feet.

Kind of a long shot, but anybody get this thing working with FFXI and Windower? Steam seems to stop detecting I'm in game after I launch PlayOnline from Windower.

Stitch

Gold Member
Thats what is bugging me the most. Its either the 360 controller or the Steam controller. Both dont seem to work together in games.

Oh well that explains why my steam controller doesn't work in any game when my 360 controller is plugged in. That's pretty annoying...

c0Zm1c

I might actually start using the controller more now with desktop support. Not that I have anything against Big Picture mode, I just don't use it.

I'm still waiting on wheel functionality though (scroll wheel mode, but assigned to an axis) and I fear I always will be.

As long as Steam is open / minimised, you can already do this without apps. Just press the left stick in to bring up the keyboard anytime and type. Press X to move it around the screen should you need to.

Also I only realised this recently but when typing with the steam keyboard, you don't need to press the pads in to enter the key; you can actually use the triggers. For some reason I actually find it faster and easier to use the triggers
Really? Was it always like this? The last time
I tried I couldn't figure out a way to get it to work without adding the program to Steam.

Sophia

Everyone in this thread is going so deep while I'm just happy to have a controller with decent battery life, uses AAs, and still works over Bluetooth at 10 feet.

Nah, I hear you. I've been using wired controllers on PC for ages. Having something I can just kick back with is really nice.

To be exact, you have to have Big Picture Mode open for this still. The keyboard won't show up in regular desktop Steam. Personally, I find the steam keyboard unreliable as all hell right now anyhow. Crashes the client with disturbing regularity.

Pachimari

Kind of a long shot, but anybody get this thing working with FFXI and Windower? Steam seems to stop detecting I'm in game after I launch PlayOnline from Windower.
Very interesting question. I would love to know this as well.

I'm also not good at configuring the controller. It's like I don't understand half of it even though it comes with thorough explanations.

Nzyme32

Nah, I hear you. I've been using wired controllers on PC for ages. Having something I can just kick back with is really nice.

To be exact, you have to have Big Picture Mode open for this still. The keyboard won't show up in regular desktop Steam. Personally, I find the steam keyboard unreliable as all hell right now anyhow. Crashes the client with disturbing regularity.

Yeah, that's what I meant sorry - having BPM minimised

swarley64

Eh, I'm not so sure actually. Of course, it'll work with the controller no problem. But the whole game is basically the mouse and space bar IIRC. There's a lot of fiddling with precise positioning and commands that is very mouse heavy that is doable with the controller but the lower actions per minute and accuracy might end up getting in the way of the game. I hate to admit that as I feel like I'm one of the biggest Steam controller evangelists around here and use it for practically everything these days even when I'm sitting at my desk, but Door Kickers is one of the very few games I'd reach for keyboard and mouse every time. It's a great game though!

OK, thanks! I'll probably start with some game I've actually played before to get a feel for it.

TheRed

DId they update so that you get the big picture overlay even when in steam desktop mode when using the controller? Because I just played Killing Floor 2 and was just gonna play with mouse and keyboard till i saw big picture overlay was on and I was able to customize the controls. Also Killing Floor 2 is awesome with the controller.

Nabs

DId they update so that you get the big picture overlay even when in steam desktop mode when using the controller? Because I just played Killing Floor 2 and was just gonna play with mouse and keyboard till i saw big picture overlay was on and I was able to customize the controls. Also Killing Floor 2 is awesome with the controller.

Yep. You can also edit configs from the desktop by right clicking the game in your library.

Patch Notes: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194767982&postcount=5360

Unai

Yes. It's on the previous page of this thread. Really nice feature.

Top Bottom