• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

I've got to walk back some of the praise I was giving the controller the other night... the configurations for non-native Steam games are still a big mess. I started up Shadow Complex after a few sessions without problems and for some reason it had switched to keyboard+mouse mode, with the configuration I had made and saved totally gone. I had to start over with a new config, and after booting the game it wiped it out again and reverted to the default template. After making changes with the game running, nothing was saved and the default controls were still running. Then, after a few more attempts, it finally did store my changes, but they were once again wiped out and reverted as soon as I closed the game.

It's a pretty huge frustration when the customization tools for a controller sold almost entirely on the premise of customization fail. Hopefully they get this worked out soon... I know there have already been a few updates. I wonder why it's so problematic.

It's a lot better since the big Steam Beta update that just happened, but I'd still consider the Steam Controller itself a beta product because of the configuration tool. Always remember to export your configuration locally, at least.

I'm just glad Big Picture Mode is no longer required. >.<;

So I've been using the Steam controller and my wired Xbox One controller for about a week now. I'm of a mixed opinion of the device. I'm not using the Beta Steam Client.

For games like XCOM and Firewatch it seems good, it's fun to use in windows as a mouse without needing to mess with the mouse. For games like the new Tomb Raider, and shooters it seems to be very frustrating to use. I keep feeling like my thumb is being overworked with moving the camera about in shooters and 3rd person games that need quicker reflexes. It wound't even work for TTG Tales of the Borderlands for me today.

I put it back in the box, it may have to go back to Amazon.

Nerrel

So I've been using the Steam controller and my wired Xbox One controller for about a week now. I'm of a mixed opinion of the device. I'm not using the Beta Steam Client.

For games like XCOM and Firewatch it seems good, it's fun to use in windows as a mouse without needing to mess with the mouse. For games like the new Tomb Raider, and shooters it seems to be very frustrating to use. I keep feeling like my thumb is being overworked with moving the camera about in shooters and 3rd person games that need quicker reflexes. It wound't even work for TTG Tales of the Borderlands for me today.

I put it back in the box, it may have to go back to Amazon.

Gyro, dude.

Sophia

Gyro, dude.

Yup. Gyro aiming is the way to go for first person shooters almost any game with camera controls. Set the sensitivity small, put on some haptic feedback of your choice, maybe make it only activate on pad touch, and enjoy. It's the difference between being frustrated, and being able to compete casually against 20+ Counter-Strike players all on Keyboard and Mouse.

Durante

I don't think gyro is even necessary.

If someone feels like "their thumb is overworked", my first suggestion would be to decrease trackball friction to low and increase sensitivity. I usually have it set up so that I can do a 360° turn with a single flick.

Sophia

I don't think gyro is even necessary.

If someone feels like "their thumb is overworked", my first suggestion would be to decrease trackball friction to low and increase sensitivity. I usually have it set up so that I can do a 360° turn with a single flick.

I actually run with trackball mode off, because I find I overshoot it much less if I have it on.

Gyro really depends on the game tho. I find it absolutely essential for Counter-Strike and Left 4 Dead 2, where recoil adjustments and precision aiming are needed. On other games tho, it's just nice for reducing strain on the hands.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Played through the base game of The Talos Principle with this.

It was glorious.

I have a question, but it may be particular because I'm on a Mac.

I load up Steam, I change the Desktop Configuration to something I made that tweaks the mouse cursor speed and a few of the buttons (let's call this MYPROFILE) and it works, even when I quit Steam. However, if I turn off the controller, with or without Steam running, it defaults to the Desktop Configuration and not MYPROFILE.

Basically, I want the controller to stay with the previous configuration MYPROFILE even if I quit Steam or turn off the controller. Is there no way to save a controller configuration to the controller and have it be the default until I change it? Does that make some sense?

I assume it's part of the XCom 2 thing? That's what they were advertising, though I didn't actually buy XCom 2 through Steam. I just went to the Steam Controller page and it showed me I could buy it for $30 rather than $50, so I said what the heck.

Ah, thanks for the info!

Fake edit- looks like I have to buy XCOM2 for that discount

Ah, thanks for the info!

Fake edit- looks like I have to buy XCOM2 for that discount

Yeah, just to clarify, I do actually own XCOM2. I just was surprised it worked, since I would have expected to have had to buy it through Steam (rather than Best Buy, like I did) to get a bundle discount like that.

Sophia

I have a question, but it may be particular because I'm on a Mac.

I load up Steam, I change the Desktop Configuration to something I made that tweaks the mouse cursor speed and a few of the buttons (let's call this MYPROFILE) and it works, even when I quit Steam. However, if I turn off the controller, with or without Steam running, it defaults to the Desktop Configuration and not MYPROFILE.

Basically, I want the controller to stay with the previous configuration MYPROFILE even if I quit Steam or turn off the controller. Is there no way to save a controller configuration to the controller and have it be the default until I change it? Does that make some sense?

Hmm... it SHOULD stay your configuration unless there's something about the desktop configuration I'm unaware of. Make sure you're using the latest beta and exporting the config to both local and profile?

Hmm... it SHOULD stay your configuration unless there's something about the desktop configuration I'm unaware of. Make sure you're using the latest beta and exporting the config to both local and profile?

Just tried it and it didn't seem to work. Here's what I did, so maybe you can tell me where I might have messed up. I launched Steam, I went to Preferences>Controller>Configurations. I selected "Desktop Configuration" and selected my profile. I then press B to get back to the main screen of Steam. So far, so good.

Now, I quit Steam and I turn off the controller. When I turn the controller back on, my profile isn't being loaded (I can tell because the cursor speed is so slow). So, I open Steam again, go back to Configurations, and it shows my profile under "Desktop Configuration", but it clearly isn't. So, I go back to Browse Configs, I reselect mine, and then it is loaded again.

So, I dunno. Does that make sense in what I'm doing? I'm also in the Beta Participation program, or at least the box is checked. It says the client was built Feb 11 and the Versions ends in "8387".

Sophia

Just tried it and it didn't seem to work. Here's what I did, so maybe you can tell me where I might have messed up. I launched Steam, I went to Preferences>Controller>Configurations. I selected "Desktop Configuration" and selected my profile. I then press B to get back to the main screen of Steam. So far, so good.

Now, I quit Steam and I turn off the controller. When I turn the controller back on, my profile isn't being loaded (I can tell because the cursor speed is so slow). So, I open Steam again, go back to Configurations, and it shows my profile under "Desktop Configuration", but it clearly isn't. So, I go back to Browse Configs, I reselect mine, and then it is loaded again.

So, I dunno. Does that make sense in what I'm doing? I'm also in the Beta Participation program, or at least the box is checked. It says the client was built Feb 11 and the Versions ends in "8387".

There's why. If Steam is not loaded, then the controller defaults to what is known as "Lizard Mode", for the sake of compatibility if something goes wrong with an HTPC/Steam Machine setup. Steam must be loaded for your profile to be active.

Tried out the controller with XCom 2 and it seems okay. Any advice to make my experience go a bit smoother? Sometimes the camera gets wonky and it can be annoying to set my movement. Also I don't know the shortcuts. I know overwatch is Y but I don't remember seeing that on the control page.

SteveWD40

Anyone here using this on OSX currently? when I googled it I got some articles from November suggesting it was sketchy (no gamepad support and you had to be in the beta to get any support at all) but the OP suggests it's fixed?

Also can it function as a mouse in OSX?

"bootcamp" yes, thanks for that, but I am happy enough with native indie games, I just want to ditch the mouse and play some with gamepad support.

While trying to get my HitBox controller to function in SFV, I noticed that I could bind its buttons to the equivalent of an XBox360 controller in the BPM settings. However, I first had some trouble even getting it to save my layout, since it requires that you bind the x and y axis (which are obviously missing on a hitbox, so I had to sacrifice a couple of buttons for that), and secondly it did not actually seem to have any effect in-game. Has anyone had any luck using this feature?

Right now I am using Joy2Key, since the Steam Controller breaks x360ce when plugged in, but that is a suboptimal solution, especially considering SFV's anaemic keyboard support.

Maedre

Banned
The Controller is really frustrating. Tried a little dark souls and firewatch, but it ended in pure frustration. But it's not the buggy client or the touchpad itself. It's the position of the touchpad. I had the same unpleasant feeling with the wii u controller and it returns with the steam controller. Me in right thumb just don't want to lay at that position. The button feel awkward,too.
I won't stop testing the controller but I am not happy.

Blizzard

Banned
The Controller is really frustrating. Tried a little dark souls and firewatch, but it ended in pure frustration. But it's not the buggy client or the touchpad itself. It's the position of the touchpad. I had the same unpleasant feeling with the wii u controller and it returns with the steam controller. Me in right thumb just don't want to lay at that position. The button feel awkward,too.
Where are you holding your middle and index fingers? Also, are your hands large or small? I have big hands and had to put my index fingers on the triggers if I recall correctly.

Sophia

Where are you holding your middle and index fingers? Also, are your hands large or small? I have big hands and had to put my index fingers on the triggers if I recall correctly.

Yeah I have big hands too, so my thumbs just kind of navigate naturally to the touchpad, with index fingers on the triggers.

Nzyme32

Dark Souls is one of my current favourites to use the controller with. You barely have to move your hand position with some setups. Mine has the dodge / roll / hop etc on the right grip, left grip for item use (although I also use a setup for mode switching the entire dpad to the right pad for quick weapon / item switches).

What's the right pad setup you are using? Maxed cam speed / sensitivity is important for mouse-like joystick, which is awesome.

Just got mine in the mail today, liking it so far. The customization alone elevates it above my 360 controller. I'm unconvinced that it can truly replace my keyboard and mouse for a lot of games, but I am totally convinced that it makes normally keyboard/mouse-only games playable on the living room TV. And not just playable, but playable to the point of being enjoyable. Looking forward to playing Civ V from the couch once I get a little more used to this thing.

Padinn

As of yesterday I am encountering a bizarre bug with my steam controller blutooth adapter. When I plug it into my keyboard USB port my headset will not work (no sound output, though I do get mic input per reports on Mumble). In addition, League of Legends will not boot.

This is resolved by unplugging the Steam Blutooth adapter and plugging it back in. However, the steam controller can no longer detect it. In my Device Manager there is an error stating that the "device cannot start."

Any suggestions?

Padinn

As of yesterday I am encountering a bizarre bug with my steam controller blutooth adapter. When I plug it into my keyboard USB port my headset will not work (no sound output, though I do get mic input per reports on Mumble). In addition, League of Legends will not boot.

This is resolved by unplugging the Steam Blutooth adapter and plugging it back in. However, the steam controller can no longer detect it. In my Device Manager there is an error stating that the "device cannot start."

Any suggestions?

And I fixed it. A few days ago I did a brief computer cleaning and plugged my USB components into different parts. Plugging my keyboard (Corsair K70) into my 2 USB 3.0 ports fixed the issue, I'm guessing it wasn't getting enough power to the device when plugged into the USB 2.0 ones.

Mystery solved!

Spacejaws

Hmm anybody got an idea about configs in offline mode?

Used to work fine but now it will not let me change configs at all, any adjustments don't hold. It used to work then a beta update broke it then opting out of the beta fixed it and now its broke again.

Its a pretty big deal for me I play in offline mode 80% of the time and without being able to change configs I may aswell sell thr thing even though I love it when it works. Has anybody else encountered this?

Edit - okay it just doesn't work for non-steam shortcuts bastards!

Okay think I know what it is. Steam is not saving a 'personal' config for non-steam games for me now. If I go online it holds whatever config was last but if I export I do not see my new config in the personal selection, it just dissapears...which is new behaviour. In offline mode any changes are not being held. Feels like it go something to do with where it pulls and saves tge personal configs to and how the non-steam games handle it (without an app number and such) at the moment its pretty much I don't play non-steam games in steam which is a real shame :(

Extra Edit - Godamn fixed it by updating to beta steam client. Not sure but I think the current main steam client is based off of the beta client in december which broke all this in the first place. Now in offline mode I can't save a new config to the personal folder but my changes are held locally which is what I want. Wish valve would update the whole 'cannot update configs as guest' in offline mode deal. Oh well.

Sophia

Extra Edit - Godamn fixed it by updating to beta steam client. Not sure but I think the current main steam client is based off of the beta client in december which broke all this in the first place. Now in offline mode I can't save a new config to the personal folder but my changes are held locally which is what I want. Wish valve would update the whole 'cannot update configs as guest' in offline mode deal. Oh well.

Yeah this is pretty much what is happening now with the main client. Sad state of affairs too. Luckily the beta client is working.

Lyon

I think Valve need to make a bigger push on the community aspect of this controller. If the actually good configs floated to the top it would be great. Here is a rough proposal for a new system to quickly understand the merits of community configs without having to laboriously test each one.

I realise I might have crammed a bit too much into it. Thoughts?

etbLNQn.jpg

Owari

So not only did this latest "update" delete all of my profiles, it also completely broke quite a few games. FFXIV included. Valve messes up too much, I don't want a Vive Pre anymore.

Foxyone

Has anyone tried drawing with the controller? I've been wondering how it would be in a program like Krita when setup properly, but I keep forgetting to try it whenever I get free time.

Corrupt

I'm tempted to buy a Steam Controller but i'm wary of a new model being released soon after buying it. Is it safe to buy or should I wait a bit longer?

I'm tempted to buy a Steam Controller but i'm wary of a new model being released soon after buying it. Is it safe to buy or should I wait a bit longer?

no one knows the answer to your question as valve doesn't exactly have a history of doing hardware updates. maybe they release a new one or maybe they dont

Nzyme32

I dont think you'll see a specific new controller from Valve like the Steam Controller. Instead, from what I understand it sounds like Valve will work on essentially making a Steam Hardware Workshop, letting people get the internals alone or different shells, download CAD files etc. I'd guess they'd see how that sort of thing goes and if people come up with different solutions before making their own new one.

If anything though, an new version of the Steam Controller won't be fundamentally different from what it is now anyway

dsk1210

I think Valve need to make a bigger push on the community aspect of this controller. If the actually good configs floated to the top it would be great. Here is a rough proposal for a new system to quickly understand the merits of community configs without having to laboriously test each one.

Fantastic! That would really help with finding a profile that has had a lot of work done with it, rather than one that has just been thrown together.

Lister

Banned

Oh my god, this would be awesome.

Looks good!

Blizzard

Banned
Steam beta update today:

Steam Controller

On-screen keyboard is now available from standard desktop mode without running Big Picture as minimized
Improved stability and window placement of desktop on-screen keyboard
Reduced size of desktop on-screen keyboard.
Added the ability to use other controllers alongside Steam Controllers. Games with XInput support will use whichever controller is active, other games will prefer alternate controllers when present.

It also includes some early Vulkan stuff. https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/907843576938079481

That would be fantastic. I can only assume that most of that will be implemented eventually, but you know, Valve time.

This is fantastic!
Added the ability to use other controllers alongside Steam Controllers. Games with XInput support will use whichever controller is active, other games will prefer alternate controllers when present.

I've tested it, and it is now possible to use x360ce along with a steam controller, where previously x360ce would load but nothing would work in the game. So now I can ditch joy2key, not have to deal with manually mapping input in different games, and I won't missing buttons in SFV, where some buttons seemingly did not have a keyboard equivalent (LS and RS, for various training mode shortcuts).

Has anybody had issues with corrupted controller profiles? I'm getting random inputs in the Division beta. Checked the profile and everything is correctly mapped.

Foxyone

Anyone notice a new issue with closing the keyboard? When I press the B button to exit it, it used to be contained to just the keyboard, but now it also activates whatever is bound to B as well.

Khaz

Guys, I've been out of the loop lately regarding the Steam controller and the Steam Machines. Do we know how successful they were, do we have sold/shipment numbers already?

Anyone having issues with games not recognizing the pad as an xinput device? I have 20 hours in xcom and now just this morning xcom isn't recognizing it as a 360 pad. I loaded up Fable Anniversary and it had no issues seeing it as a 360 pad.

Edit: seems to have fixed itself after a reboot. Weird.

Nzyme32

Guys, I've been out of the loop lately regarding the Steam controller and the Steam Machines. Do we know how successful they were, do we have sold/shipment numbers already?

Nope, no numbers, no comments about how they did.

To add to this, even with numbers, "success" to Valve for these initiatives is likely not measured in a traditional "sell x hundred thousand = success". With the Steam Machines, the initiative has been planned to be small and relaxed from the start, with most of the machines simply being a SteamOS derivative of a Windows mahcine anyway. Not to mention the state of Linux and need for things like Vulkan, volume of sales isn't the largest concern off the bat.

With the controller the proposition is different as very updatable and iterative device, and it isn't so clear where they are going with them. They mention the idea of a hardware workshop for getting the innards alone, sharing CAD files or sharing different shells for the controller etc. So success is more likely a measure of what they can develop the controller into over time, rather than a monthly review of how many sell right now. The controller is probably the most interesting thing, as that is one of the drivers for other devices like the machines and link, so that needs to keep improving as an experience to sell

Top Bottom