• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

DId they update so that you get the big picture overlay even when in steam desktop mode when using the controller? Because I just played Killing Floor 2 and was just gonna play with mouse and keyboard till i saw big picture overlay was on and I was able to customize the controls. Also Killing Floor 2 is awesome with the controller.

Yeah. If the controller is on you'll get the Big Picture Mode overlay. You can turn it off tho when configuring a game in BPM.

Elitist1945

My biggest problem so far is the controller doesn't work with the majority of the games I own...which it should. The whole point is to be able to play games that don't support gamepads with it - and if it can't that defeats the Steam controller's purpose.

Example being I'm trying to play Bad Company 2, and whether I chose a Valve template or a Community template for the game, it isn't being recognized.

Gattsu25

Banned
DId they update so that you get the big picture overlay even when in steam desktop mode when using the controller? Because I just played Killing Floor 2 and was just gonna play with mouse and keyboard till i saw big picture overlay was on and I was able to customize the controls. Also Killing Floor 2 is awesome with the controller.

Yep. You can also edit configs from the desktop by right clicking the game in your library.

Patch Notes: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194767982&postcount=5360

That is.... bloody fantastic.

Especially the ability to modify the controls from the desktop mode.

Nabs

Another beta update:

Steam Controller
Fixed an issue where configuration changes would not stick with non-Steam shortcuts

Nzyme32

I've run into a problem where the desktop config for the Steam Controller has been erased, so the controller won't do anything on the desktop other than with the guide button. Going into BPM shows that the desktop config has had all bindings removed, but selecting recommended or community bindings will not update the config. Annoying. The controller works fine in BPM and games, but it's a bit frustrating to have access to the controller settings and stuff on the desktop when the desktop config won't engage.

Sajjaja

I still don't like that you gotta use the big picture UI if you're in a game and you launch the steam overlay. They should give you the option to opt into your preferred overlay.

Oreoleo

I still don't like that you gotta use the big picture UI if you're in a game and you launch the steam overlay. They should give you the option to opt into your preferred overlay.

Just did a quick test. If you wait til after you launch the game to turn on your controller it will use the default Steam overlay. If your controller is on when the game is launched it'll use BPM.

viveks86

Man, config changes take forever to apply. It's like I'm dealing with an amnesiac! How did Valve fuck up cloud saves so bad? :/

Been loving the controller so much until now

Nerrel

I finally got around to playing my free copy of Shadow Complex and I wasn't expecting to use the Steam controller for it, being a sidescroller and all... wrong. It took some digging into the program files, but I managed to add the exe to Steam and get it to run. The difference in precision when aiming is immediately apparent; it's so much smoother now. The laser goes exactly where I want it to, unlike the jerkier feeling when using an analog.

I was already pretty happy with the controller for saving me from RE0's awful control mappings, and it delivers yet again. Totally worth it.

Nabs

I finally got around to playing my free copy of Shadow Complex and I wasn't expecting to use the Steam controller for it, being a sidescroller and all... wrong. It took some digging into the program files, but I managed to add the exe to Steam and get it to run. The difference in precision when aiming is immediately apparent; it's so much smoother now. The laser goes exactly where I want it to, unlike the jerkier feeling when using an analog.

I was already pretty happy with the controller for saving me from RE0's awful control mappings, and it delivers yet again. Totally worth it.

You can get rid of the Epic Launcher if you add -AUTH_LOGIN= -AUTH_PASSWORD= -AUTH_TYPE= to your launch options.

And yeah, the game feels perfect with the Steam Controller. It makes me want more like it. I can't imagine playing something like it with analog control for aiming.

City 17

Firewatch is the next game with native support, not only that but also an in-game option for the Steam controller.

Haven't got the game yet to try it though.

So Quantum Break was announced for PC, seemingly as a Windows 10 store exclusive. Has anybody tried to run a W10 store game via Steam so it works with the controller?

Nzyme32

So Quantum Break was announced for PC, seemingly as a Windows 10 store exclusive. Has anybody tried to run a W10 store game via Steam so it works with the controller?

As far as I am aware overlays of any kind do not work with Windows 10 store apps and games sold there. You can't even record using shadowplay. It might be possible to just do the settings prior to running the game, but it requires a very elaborate process to add the game to Steam since it is not a traditional program, and without the overlay you won't have touch menus etc. However since the game works with any controller that is Xbox One compliant, you probably won't need touch menus anyway.

I haven't kept up with how the controller is working with non-steam games but if i add a non-steam game will i be able to configure my controller for it now? How about being able to pull from community profiles for non-steam games?

I have a Uplay version of Far Cry 4 that i would love to use this pad with

I haven't kept out with how the controller is working with non-steam games but if i add a non-steam game will i be able to configure my controller for it now? How about being able to pull from community profiles for non-steam games?

Yep you can do all of that. You don't even have to launch the shortcut from Steam anymore.
As far as I am aware overlays of any kind do not work with Windows 10 store apps and games sold there. You can't even record using shadowplay. It might be possible to just do the settings prior to running the game, but it requires a very elaborate process to add the game to Steam since it is not a traditional program, and without the overlay you won't have touch menus etc. However since the game works with any controller that is Xbox One compliant, you probably won't need touch menus anyway.

Dang, that doesn't seem good.

Nzyme32

I haven't kept out with how the controller is working with non-steam games but if i add a non-steam game will i be able to configure my controller for it now? How about being able to pull from community profiles for non-steam games?

You can do all of that now. It can be a little buggy finding community bindings, but most of the time it's been working great.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Firewatch is the next game with native support, not only that but also an in-game option for the Steam controller.

Haven't got the game yet to try it though.

Just to clarify: Firewatch doesn't have "native" controller support. It uses an official controller profile (that is pretty close to the default gamepad profile) and you can change the button prompts in the settings to use Steam controller prompts.

This is different from true native support, like what's in Portal 2 or Talos. True native support looks like this:
iDRqhLT.jpg

I still appreciate it, of course. And the setup in Firewatch works very well.

deadfolk

I tried the xbox app so I could use the SC to play XBone games on my PC. Didn't work.

I managed to get the app launching from Steam (which required some shenanigans), but it didn't recognise the controller at all.

luchifer

Banned
I still dont understand why the steam link needs to be connected to a mouse or gamepad. A lot of non steam games dont recognize neither the steam controller or the 360 controller, but If I plug my controller directly to the PC it will be recognized by the game.

Also, Syndicate is really laggy with the link.

riflen

I tried the xbox app so I could use the SC to play XBone games on my PC. Didn't work.

I managed to get the app launching from Steam (which required some shenanigans), but it didn't recognise the controller at all.

The app framework used by Windows Store doesn't play nicely with any overlay or injection programs, so I imagine this will render the controller inoperable for now.

deadfolk

Also, Syndicate is really laggy with the link.

You mean AC: Syndicate or the FPS reboot of the Bullfrog classic? I didn't have a problem playing AC:S on my link. I had to turn some of the graphics options down a little to get a decent framerate, but nothing too shocking.

Layell

I can't say I'm the biggest L4D2 fan, but after my test to improve the TF2 config I went after this game.

First of all whoever at Valve put together the dev build probably didn't even play multiplayer, or single player. You can't seem to exit out of the Message of the Day since fire =/= left mouse, nor can you change teams. Grenades are not a touch pad option for whatever reason even though they left one button free in the 7 slot touch menu, and you can't skip the credits after a campaign since the jump command =/= the space bar. Also I don't know about some people but even if you don't have a ton of gear to switch through I live and die by next/previous weapons.

My touch menu is
Primary / Secondary / Grenade
Pills / First Aid / Screenshot
Orders / Q+A / Team

You could probably change it to a 4 button touch menu without the weapon switching. Since this setup allows you to switch back and forth between items.

Getting the text commands (Orders and Q+A) to work also required changing the right pad from the Camera ingame binding to the legacy mouse binding. Which goes to show that sometimes native support commands aren't always better. I really wanted the commands in when I can't always use mic, the only sacrifice I had to make was putting yes/no on buttons instead. This is the first build I really played around with the triggers as well to get Rifle aiming right, glad I did because it plays really well.

Also here is the setup for those who might care: http://pastebin.com/A3qP4xJg

Sophia

First of all whoever at Valve put together the dev build probably didn't even play multiplayer, or single player. You can't seem to exit out of the Message of the Day since fire =/= left mouse, nor can you change teams. Grenades are not a touch pad option for whatever reason even though they left one button free in the 7 slot touch menu, and you can't skip the credits after a campaign since the jump command =/= the space bar. Also I don't know about some people but even if you don't have a ton of gear to switch through I live and die by next/previous weapons.

The message of the day probably counts as menu controls, if it's like Counter-Strike. In there, I have to hit the A button to move forward.

And yeah, Valve's defaults are pretty silly in a few spots. In both Counter-Strike and Left 4 Dead 2, the sensitivity is way too high by default. The CS:GO defaults are basically unplayable too thanks to awkward design choices such as no easy way to quickly swap weapons and a buy menu that causes you to automatically move, which locks you out of it in Deathmatch. I ended up making my own configuration instead that plays much better, using the shoulder buttons for quickly accessing gernades and swapping weapons, and using a touchpad on the left trackpad that can switch to any specific weapon + bomb + voting on release instead of click.

Layell

The message of the day probably counts as menu controls, if it's like Counter-Strike. In there, I have to hit the A button to move forward.

No my ingame touch menu is there, along with my gyro camera. It doesn't go menu there sadly.

Some rating out of 5 stars would go a long way for telling what configs are actually good, and how much playtime configs have per user, and if people have actually used a config for a long time.

City 17

Just to clarify: Firewatch doesn't have "native" controller support. It uses an official controller profile (that is pretty close to the default gamepad profile) and you can change the button prompts in the settings to use Steam controller prompts.

This is different from true native support, like what's in Portal 2 or Talos. True native support looks like this:
iDRqhLT.jpg

I still appreciate it, of course. And the setup in Firewatch works very well.

Read it was native, believed it was native... I stand corrected then, thanks.

Sophia

No my ingame touch menu is there, along with my gyro camera. It doesn't go menu there sadly.

Some rating out of 5 stars would go a long way for telling what configs are actually good, and how much playtime configs have per user, and if people have actually used a config for a long time.

That might be a legitimate bug then. I know in CS:GO the message of the day + team select are counted as menu controls, and control as such accordingly.

Read it was native, believed it was native... I stand corrected then, thanks.

As a rule of thumb you can tell a configuration is native or not by if it has separate controls for different gameplay scenarios. Such as ingame menus, or CS:GO's Buy menu.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I keep getting these annoying communication error messages.

onken

Was buying a Link and thought hell with it, I'll get the controller bundle instead. Honestly, not that impressed with it so far. It barely feels like a step up from Joy2key + DS4.. except now I have to manually add all my classic games and exes (ezquake, zdoom) as a non Steam game to get it to work and even then, none of the community bindings work without a lot of tweaking... maybe I just need more time with it.

Speaking of the Link, I turned my TV on and noticed it didn't seem to wake up. Had to reseat the power cable in the end. Checked the settings and it said sleep mode was 30 mins, am I supposed to change that to never?

Nabs

Another Beta update:

Steam Controller

• Fixed controller resetting to default configuration when exiting games launched from desktop mode
    [*]Added support for dualtouch keyboard outside of Big Picture mode

You no longer need BPM minimized, just click the analog stick to bring up a window with the keyboard.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Another Beta update:

Steam Controller

• Fixed controller resetting to default configuration when exiting games launched from desktop mode

You no longer need BPM minimized, just click the analog stick to bring up a window with the keyboard.

So based. This is the official controller of HTPCs now.

Lingitiz

Another Beta update:

Steam Controller

Nice I can type this using my controller now.

Nerrel

You can get rid of the Epic Launcher if you add -AUTH_LOGIN= -AUTH_PASSWORD= -AUTH_TYPE= to your launch options.

And yeah, the game feels perfect with the Steam Controller. It makes me want more like it. I can't imagine playing something like it with analog control for aiming.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The game is really damn fun, by the way. I always wanted to play it, but never had a 360. I just wish it were on Steam instead of this shitty launcher.

City 17

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The game is really damn fun, by the way. I always wanted to play it, but never had a 360. I just wish it were on Steam instead of this shitty launcher.

You can also add your Epic email/pw to what Nabs said, and you'll get access to the leaderboards etc. without the launcher.
As a rule of thumb you can tell a configuration is native or not by if it has separate controls for different gameplay scenarios. Such as ingame menus, or CS:GO's Buy menu.
I know the difference but as I said I in my OP I haven't bought the game yet.

Is there a way to change LS click to some other button?

Bl@de

So ... do those profiles for non-steam games ever work? Shadowrun, Pillars of Eternity, F.E.A.R. 2 ... Steam didn't find anything for any of those games (from GOG). And importing from SteamControllerdb.com doesn't work either :/ Doesn't matter if I use the client or raw config file. Any ideas?

But on a sidenote: I created an awesome profile for F.E.A.R. 2. Steam controller is really good for shooters. Not as perfect as a mouse but really good.

Maedre

Banned
My Steam Controller will be here today. Are there any tips for my first tryout? Any tricks to set the frustration low at the beginning?

Nabs

My Steam Controller will be here today. Are there any tips for my first tryout? Any tricks to set the frustration low at the beginning?

Here are some random tips from me:

- Play a wide variety of games. Definitely look for games that have good mouse support.
- Don't expect the top config to actually be the best config. Those are usually just the first configs up, so they get the most number of users. You'll eventually want to get to the point where you're making your own configs. It helps with learning what all the options do.
- If the game doesn't have good mouse support, use Mouse Joystick.
- The grips are awesome. They help keep your thumb on the right pad for as long as possible.
- Check out the Steam Client Beta for new controller and client functionality, but understand that it's still a beta and some issues may pop up.
- Youtube Channels worth subscribing to: ConstableBento and Woodsie. They both do a wonderful job at breaking down controller features and game configs.

And as you get more comfortable with the controller, you'll want to look into utilizing features like gyro, touch menu, and mode shift. Here's the December 15th update where Valve showed off some new features

This thread is a good resource. Feel free to chat it up, or ask for help with various games and issues.

derFeef

Definately do not make the mistake I did and start with a game that has complicated, or complex controls. My first game I tried the controller with was Dishonored and I almost wanted to throw it out of the window. Then I went with Eldritch and Ziggurat (good mouse support) and found my settings that work for me. Then I went with bigger and more complex games and worked my way up.

Nzyme32

Start out with games that are slow paced and/or familiar to you. Portal is a great series to do that with.

Yeah. Starting off on some simpler and less demanding games are a great way to get a gradual understanding of the controller that isn't overly intense. Portal and Talos Principle are fantastic for this sort of thing. Both have native support, so you won't need to fiddle around with it too much if at all, and you can concentrate on just getting acclimated to it.

atr0cious

Definately do not make the mistake I did and start with a game that has complicated, or complex controls. My first game I tried the controller with was Dishonored and I almost wanted to throw it out of the window. Then I went with Eldritch and Ziggurat (good mouse support) and found my settings that work for me. Then I went with bigger and more complex games and worked my way up.
This is what i did. Use smaller games to figure out how you like your settings, set them as a template, then reconfig as needed. I have a shooter bind and an in progress platformer bind.

Unai

The game I really started with was Dark Souls. I mean, the combat is considered hard but the inputs are simple enough. You get to use the right trackpad to camera control but it doesn't need to be super precise. Later on throw in some modifiers when you are more used to the controller and that is it.

Probably other third person action games would be good as well because of exactly this. I think some people were recommending Shadow of Mordor.

Nerrel

I've got to walk back some of the praise I was giving the controller the other night... the configurations for non-native Steam games are still a big mess. I started up Shadow Complex after a few sessions without problems and for some reason it had switched to keyboard+mouse mode, with the configuration I had made and saved totally gone. I had to start over with a new config, and after booting the game it wiped it out again and reverted to the default template. After making changes with the game running, nothing was saved and the default controls were still running. Then, after a few more attempts, it finally did store my changes, but they were once again wiped out and reverted as soon as I closed the game.

It's a pretty huge frustration when the customization tools for a controller sold almost entirely on the premise of customization fail. Hopefully they get this worked out soon... I know there have already been a few updates. I wonder why it's so problematic.

Top Bottom