• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

I seriously doubt Valve cares about making money on the Steam Controller short-term. The end-game is to push Steam itself, and they sure as hell make plenty of money there. Personally, the controller has been a massive success in most use cases.

Has anybody had issues with corrupted controller profiles? I'm getting random inputs in the Division beta. Checked the profile and everything is correctly mapped.
I was having issues with Dragon's Dogma yesterday and was getting double inputs. Someone on the forums said to opt out of the Steam beta, and that seemed to fix it for me.

I was having issues with Dragon's Dogma yesterday and was getting double inputs. Someone on the forums said to opt out of the Steam beta, and that seemed to fix it for me.

Ah, yeah that has fixed issue I've had here and there. My issue ended up being specific to the Division beta, and I had to stop running Steam as administrator to fix it.

Oreoleo

Are you sure it wasn't the controller duplication bug? After going into sleep mode (It seems) Steam will detect the same controller multiple times, sometimes causing double inputs. All you have to do is restart Steam.

Owari

God. Now nothing works. This controller worked perfectly at launch and they had to screw everything up. Typical Valve.

New update adds rumble support! Cool!

Edit: The low frequency options (the ones that actually feel like rumble) are broken-- it gets stuck constantly vibrating. The 8-bit option is fucking rad.

Edit: The low frequency options (the ones that actually feel like rumble) are broken-- it gets stuck constantly vibrating. The 8-bit option is fucking rad.

OH SHIT! This is like the ONE thing I really really wanted from the Steam Controller. Downloading FEZ to test it out, as rumble, and position of rumble is important in that game.

Edit: Yep, that's broken. Will be really cool when it works though!

Interesting.

I almost always turn rumble off in most games I play (it adds nothing to me and if it happens to much like in shooters it can actually make my hands hurt after a while), but I'd be willing to try this out.

Oreoleo

Just tried Dirt 3 with the rumble and for something that hasn't been coded at a per-game basis it's really impressive. Could feel the weight of the car shift as the haptics moved from left to right and switched between a low rumble and more instant, sharper vibrations. It's kinda loud, wouldn't want to use it without headphones or the volume turned up real loud tbh. But in spite of some bugs the result is very very good.

This controller is fine minus the track pad. I'm having such an issue using it in TP games like AC: Syndicate, ROTTR, Zombie Army Trilogy...or even FPS games.

Any ways to make this a better experience?

Seagoon

Anyone had any luck with the Steam Link / Controller and playing Windows 10 Store games? I have them added to my Steam library, but when they launch they seem to lose focus (I can hear the Steam interface noises when I push inputs on the Controller) and in the case of RotTR the frame rate was crazy low.

I suspect it has to do with the way I am calling my games (using explorer.exe as a loader) and Steam thinking the app has closed after the explorer process ends. Not quite sure about the frame rate issue at all.

kodecraft

Anyone had any luck with the Steam Link / Controller and playing Windows 10 Store games? I have them added to my Steam library, but when they launch they seem to lose focus (I can hear the Steam interface noises when I push inputs on the Controller) and in the case of RotTR the frame rate was crazy low.

I suspect it has to do with the way I am calling my games (using explorer.exe as a loader) and Steam thinking the app has closed after the explorer process ends. Not quite sure about the frame rate issue at all.

I know Win 10 games are in some kind of UAP wrapper making them not play well with third party apps/launchers.

I don't expect Steam controllers to work natively with them, especially when you got the 360/One controller, and the Xbox app to customize the Xbox controller.

There will probably be an ugly workaround.

Rise is on Steam, why not have got the game there?

Nzyme32

They were not kidding around with the rumble. Some good options, but make sure your controller is at the end of its battery life. Mine was, and switched off when the first rumble occurred from me being attacked in Dark Souls - Not a game where you want the controller to die!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They were not kidding around with the rumble. Some good options, but make sure your controller is at the end of its battery life. Mine was, and switched off when the first rumble occurred from me being attacked in Dark Souls - Not a game where you want the controller to die!

That's something i hadn't considered. I wonder how much the new rumble feature affects battery life.

Nzyme32

That's something i hadn't considered. I wonder how much the new rumble feature affects battery life.

In fairness, it could be an issue with Dark Souls since it is the only one I tried. I imagine they have a bunch of optimising to do so that it works out.

Also keep in mind these batteries have been in since late November - they had to die eventually, but from what I understand the controller should switch off after an alert rather than just shut itself off. Can't complain with experimental stuff I guess

Nzyme32

So regarding Fez being broken with this experimental rumble - If you start the game right from the begining in the first room, jumping makes a plod rumble on the right side on landing, which I assume is normal but feels odd on just the one side. Where the game breaks is if you try and hang off a ledge, such as the shelf in the first room. The left side will stay continually active, while the right will still respond to jumps. Trying to exit the game in BPM, will work but then the controller will be unresponsive, and seconds later Steam crashes.

Nabs

New Beta with some good fixes:

Steam Controller
  • Fixed rumble emulation getting stuck on in some circumstances.
  • Fixed Dragon's Dogma receiving both X-Input and Direct Input leading to incorrect prompts and input trouble.

Eughhhh, seems like the beta client does NOT like Dying Light!
For some reason, the only way I can get it working is to opt out of the beta.

Every time I try to look at the config, I get a message stating 'Configuration Failure'.

Foxyone

Is the rumble supposed to not work in lots of games? I tried a few games and only Dark Souls seemed to have any rumble. Do only specific types of situations trigger it?

Also, what's all that stuff about Rev 9 or 10 controller boards I keep hearing about all of a sudden?

Steam Controller prototypes showcased in Valve's lobby

http://imgur.com/gallery/2KXPk

lS6OLuE.jpg

what's up with that Eli model? Is that a thumbstick in/on the trackpad?

what's up with that Eli model? Is that a thumbstick in/on the trackpad?

Eli is actually one of my favorites out of that group, mainly because the analog stick is in a more comfortable position. I assume the touchpad around the edge would have worked like the standard touchpad, but in a ring instead of a full thing (touch surface and clickable) so you could use it as another set of buttons, a scroll wheel, or whatever else. If the stick is low enough you could still easily press the buttons, and it would act as a good modifier if you are pressing the stick all the way in a direction (easy to press it and still have the stick going in a direction.

I don't use the left touchpad that much on the current model, and I could imagine them turning the bottom-left button group into a d-pad which I'd love to have on the Steam controller.

I also kinda miss their original idea for the controller, which was to have a touch screen in the middle with programmable buttons. It probably would have been really expensive,but it had a lot of awesome potential.

So I never kept up with this on launch. Whats the consensus, is it amazing for fos? Whats it best at?

Also the steam link things that connect yr tv to yr pc, is that any good? Never been a steam guy, but im slowly getting into it. If it means i cdn play MGSV on my TV, im in.

Sophia

Playing FFXIV really highlighted the weakness of the Steam Controller, and how it's virtual D-Pad aided by haptics (or worse, pressing down on the physical button) just does not work as well as a real D-Pad. I'd dare say it's the only real fault with the controller, unless your hands are small. :\

So I never kept up with this on launch. Whats the consensus, is it amazing for fos? Whats it best at?

Also the steam link things that connect yr tv to yr pc, is that any good? Never been a steam guy, but im slowly getting into it. If it means i cdn play MGSV on my TV, im in.

General census is that it takes some getting used to, but at it's best it's far superior to a gamepad for 3D games. While it not might beat a keyboard and mouse, it's comparable certainly.

In terms of gamepads, I think the Xbox One controller is best for FPS. But the steam controller is just as good if not better than, for games like Firewatch and XCOM. I think the exclusivity for XCOM2 is troubling.

I downloaded COD BLOPS 3 free multiplayer today, and the steam controller, even with the most popular community created settings, SUCKED. I went back to the XB1 controller and my experience was much nicer.

Sophia

In terms of gamepads, I think the Xbox One controller is best for FPS. But the steam controller is just as good if not better than, for games like Firewatch and XCOM. I think the exclusivity for XCOM2 is troubling.

I downloaded COD BLOPS 3 free multiplayer today, and the steam controller, even with the most popular community created settings, SUCKED. I went back to the XB1 controller and my experience was much nicer.

Black Ops 3 is a bit odd. I've absolutely loved the controller with Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead 2, and Killing Floor. But I couldn't quite get it right with Black Ops. I still managed to do pretty good with a shotgun tho.

Also if you used the most popular configs for Black Ops 3, you probably didn't get a very good one. A lot of them were just flat out gamepad controls mapped 1:1 to the controller. You really have to map them yourself to get the best experience from the controller.

Nabs

I spent about a week using the Steam Controller with Blops 3, and I thought it felt great.

I recommend creating your own full mouse and keyboard config with gyro mouse aim. I like having jump/run on the paddles and slide on the touchpad click. Recently, Treyarch removed the ability to mix and match configs (controller+mouse) to stop people from using autoaim, so a full M/KB config is necessary.

Blizzard

Banned
If anyone wants to try something crazy, give my Street Fighter V profile a try for 15-20 minutes. I mapped the 6 buttons to a touch menu on the right touchpad, movement to the left touchpad, and I don't need to use the bumpers.

It seems quite feasible to play R. Mika with this, but characters that need buttons held down would have problems. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to use a touch menu but have a button support press-and-hold functionality.

Nzyme32

Beta Client - Steam Controller - Feb 29th

- Fixed occasional doubled input in Big Picture when initially powering on the controller
- Added the ability to disable the X or Y axis for Joystick Move modes. This can be useful when using the Gyro to emulate a steering wheel
- Fixed description text for the joystick output fields of the Joystick Move and Joystick Camera modes

Cronen

Got one of these yesterday and really happy with if. Looking forward to using it a lot. That said, is there anything you guys recommend that I should do/enable/adjust in the settings? I realise some of it will be depend on the game running, but anything you can recommend would be great.

Eughhhh, seems like the beta client does NOT like Dying Light!
For some reason, the only way I can get it working is to opt out of the beta.

Every time I try to look at the config, I get a message stating 'Configuration Failure'.

Going back to this, does anyone have any advice on getting the Steam Controller working with the lock picking sections of Dying Light? It *might* be because I have the haptic pad set to trackball mode?

Cronen

Ordered a Steam Link through Steam. How quickly did it take for you guys to receive yours? I placed the order nearly 24 hours ago and I'm still waiting for it to be shipped. I can see that thw european stock is based in Germany. I'm in the UK so I'm wondering when I will receive mine. Very eager to get it up and running!

Dina

I recommend creating your own full mouse and keyboard config with gyro mouse aim. I like having jump/run on the paddles and slide on the touchpad click. Recently, Treyarch removed the ability to mix and match configs (controller+mouse) to stop people from using autoaim, so a full M/KB config is necessary.

How do you go about to config this? Do you first config everything to keyboard and mouse buttons from your desktop and then bind the steamcontroller buttons to the KB/M?

Or the other way around?

Nabs

How do you go about to config this? Do you first config everything to keyboard and mouse buttons from your desktop and then bind the steamcontroller buttons to the KB/M?

Or the other way around?

I just want to update one thing with Blops3: You can disable auto aim in the options, so a mixed config is perfectly fine once you do that. I played some today and it felt pretty good.

As for your question, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking exactly. I usually just load the basic mouse/kb Steam Controller config, then fill in whatever may be missing by looking at the in-game controls. I'd put Space on A and one of the grips, Control on B, etc.

Dina

I just want to update one thing with Blops3: You can disable auto aim in the options, so a mixed config is perfectly fine once you do that. I played some today and it felt pretty good.

As for your question, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking exactly. I usually just load the basic mouse/kb Steam Controller config, then fill in whatever may be missing by looking at the in-game controls. I'd put Space on A and one of the grips, Control on B, etc.

I might have worded that wrong. But basically you look at the WASD controls and kap the default keyboard buttons (WASD, space, shift, lmb, rmb, etc) to the Steamcontroller buttons.

shockdude

Has anyone come up with a config for the Galaxy games in Dolphin?
I use a hybrid controller+mouse config and it works pretty well. Nunchuck to controller thumbstick & shoulder buttons, wiimote pointer to mouse, wiimote A/B to left/right click, shake (spin) to scrollwheel.
I need to play more of Galaxy actually.

edit: Two days later, realized this is the Steam Controller thread and not the Dolphin thread. Whoops.
Still, a hybrid controller+mouse config should work well.

Oy, the rumble support is great! It was a bit jarring for me at first, just because of how sharp the haptics are compared to traditional rumble, but it's grown on me. I've been playing some F-Zero GX, and it fits so well with the game. Also, the 8-bit rumble is awesome. I'd love to see more novelty rumble options.

My only gripes with it are that you have to re-enable rumble every time you start Steam, the 8-bit rumble is really light, and if you're using the right trackpad, it disables force feedback on both pads. Though it's still in the works, so no big deal. Can't wait to see where Valve takes this feature!

Going back to this, does anyone have any advice on getting the Steam Controller working with the lock picking sections of Dying Light? It *might* be because I have the haptic pad set to trackball mode?
Don't have a good answer, sorry, but i recall this being a pain. I went back and forward a few times with Dying Light, from kb/m setup, to mouse-joystick, and back. Each setup had a major drawback that made me go back and try the other. I gave up a while ago. I'm assuming at some point I'll go back and either bash out a solution, or actually play using mouse & keyboard instead of the controller ...

Can anyone illuminate the means to get the controller working in emulators? Taking epsxe as an example. I looked in the controller setup within the emulator and was hoping it would see the controller as a 360 pad, and just work. But it doesn't seem to register. I got very confused trying to think through the different elements in play, and was hoping someone could clarify what needs to be done.

Can anyone illuminate the means to get the controller working in emulators? Taking epsxe as an example. I looked in the controller setup within the emulator and was hoping it would see the controller as a 360 pad, and just work. But it doesn't seem to register. I got very confused trying to think through the different elements in play, and was hoping someone could clarify what needs to be done.
You're probably going to have to get the Pokopom Xinput plugin for ePSXe, as I don't think it recognizes Xinput natively. I'm using that, and it works just fine for me. Pokopom is plug and play, so you won't need to config anything either. Just select the plugin, load ePSXe up through Steam, and you should be set.

Thank you, I'll look into it. Like i said, I struggle to keep the different elements in mind. Suddenly it seems like a house of cards all stacked together. I thought Xinput was what enabled epsxe to recognise my 360 pad? Guess not?

Top Bottom