• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Awesome!... Hang on, what kind of problems are known thus far when doing that?

The only one I've come across is The Division. When you're running Steam as an Admin the game basically scrambles your inputs. Pressing start fires your gun and brings up the map, taking cover pauses the game, etc.

Added "Set Cursor Position" binding controller action. This allows an arbitrary X/Y position to be moved to on a button press and optionally warp back to the original position on release. When combined with a click via either multi-binding or an additional activator, allows for on-screen UI to be bound to buttons even if they have no hotkey.

I've been hoping for this one. DS emulation just got a lot better for me.

Foxyone

All that stuff with specific region bindings sounds very similar to a video I made about doing that with action sets in Hearthstone to make working menus and whatnot like it was a console game. I did send it the email where people send ideas, but it's probably just coincidence.

The new features seem great, like being able to bind a left click and a screen position to a button to immediately click somewhere. However, I'm not sure if it is quite as much as I was hoping. I only checked the new stuff out a bit, but I don't know if there was a way to easily make something that navigates a menu on one action set without it being easily breakable. I'd really like to look into it more and revisit Hearthstone to see if it makes the process of "consolizing" it easier.

Nerrel

I don't really agree. I preferred the controller within hours of first trying it.

I wasn't impressed by the trackpad at first, and honestly I still don't like it much for fine aiming. For me it's gyro all the way, and it took a lot of time to find configs that would balance the trackpad and gryo together well. I also had a hard time adjusting to kb+mouse control schemes, since the Steam pad often doesn't work well when in Xinput mode, even with the joystick mouse update. For a console gamer who has never been able to use kb+mouse, I found a lot to dislike at first.

I can understand his complaints because I had a lot of them myself, but being patient and not giving up on the controller paid off. For some games, the improvement the Steam controller makes over dual analog is incredible.

Played around with the new cursor position feature for a bit. If the game/app you're using it with has on-screen buttons that only activate on the release of the left click button, setting the cursor to revert to the previous position would cause it to move and release the mouse button at the same time, and in the case of TIS-100 it wouldn't activate the on-screen button.

I found that I could use a separate activator for the Move Cursor function and the left mouse click, and then increase the Fire End on the Move Cursor activator by a fairly large amount to delay the return of the mouse cursor, which then made the on-screen button work. A few notches on the slider wasn't enough. I had to bring it near the D in Delay in order for it to work, so it'll probably require some tweaking to get right.

Also, when using it like this with the Long Press activators, I found that I had to release the button when the activator started - if I held it too long it would also fail to work. Not sure if there's a better way to do this yet.

Nabs

I decided to play around with activators today. My Max Payne 2 config feels solid, but the weapon touch menu wasn't perfect. The problem was that you'd have to click a weapon button multiple times to reach the gun you wanted, then use the left mouse button to pull it out. So I made two activators for each touch menu button: the weapon select is set to turbo (half speed), and left mouse click is set as a button release with a slight delay. You can either hold down the button, or click it multiple times to reach your gun of choice. I'm still tweaking it a bit to see if I can improve on it, but so far so good. Example: https://streamable.com/m200

I'm excited to combine the new cursor options with more activator options. The delayed button press on release will come in handy there. The Steam Controller Config may be my favorite puzzle game of the year.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just had to change the batteries in my controller again... for the second time since launch.

This controller rocks.

Steam Controller support is still broken on macOS? I'm using El Capitan and the controller is recognized as an X-Input one instead of Steam controller. Can't set any profile or change bindings. It sucks.
None of the configs work for me either. Portal 2 plays well but the rest of the games seem broken/half playable.

Nzyme32

I haven't played MGS V since the Steam Controller first came out, and thanks to a broken game save bug it seems I'll have to start over.

Thankfully, it looks like there has been some changes to the Steam Controller since then, which was when Mouse-joystick first came out. Seems to work so much better than it ever has before.

Nabs

Rise of the Tomb Raider feels kind of terrible at 30fps with a steam controller :(

Try the second most popular config (Sensible Config). It uses an Xbox config, but changes to a mouse/gyro when aiming the bow. You may want to increase the in-game camera a bit if possible, since it uses mouse-joystick for general camera movement.

Unai

Try the second most popular config (Sensible Config). It uses an Xbox config, but changes to a mouse/gyro when aiming the bow. You may want to increase the in-game camera a bit if possible, since it uses mouse-joystick for general camera movement.

I second this. This config was very smart.

I was surprised that nobody made a config for xcom/tftd when I checked some months back and again recently. Maybe because the overlay doesn't work with DOSbox provided with these games. I tried setting the renderer to OpenGL and that didn't help, but remembered about OpenXcom and just decided to install that. Made and uploaded configs for UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep, but I haven't really playtested them enough to say how good they are. Should be a decent enough starting point anyways if anyone wanted to tweak it to their liking.

edit: Just noticed that despite having the same name as the actual game on Steam, games added as a shortcut don't share configs with the Steam version. That kind of sucks. I'd have to upload it in two different places just so people would know that it exists.

AdamMPSP

hey guys, so I've got a steam controller, and I've used it for a couple hours, and I just have a lot of trouble with it. Is this just a "I've gotta use it for a long time" thing? Any suggestions for games to ease into it? I've tried it with The Division and Just Cause 3.

Layell

hey guys, so I've got a steam controller, and I've used it for a couple hours, and I just have a lot of trouble with it. Is this just a "I've gotta use it for a long time" thing? Any suggestions for games to ease into it? I've tried it with The Division and Just Cause 3.

Take it with Portal 2 or something a little less crazy, try a bunch of different configs since the first one on the list isn't always the best. Experiment and have fun with it.

I tried this config, but even at max in-game sensitivity and maxed out mouse-joystick, the general camera movement was just super slow for me.

Foxyone

Is there any way to make camera movement with joystick settings (not mouse joystick) not terrible? At least as good as a joystick on a regular controller, at least.

After having a on/off relationship with the Steam Controller, I want to commit to liking the damn thing now.

I've not really played keyboard/mouse games since Half Life 2, so it's not like I am confident in using it as a gaming tool (I would take a controller over a mouse any day of the week). But I want to learn how to love the Steam Controller, I can see the potential in it but I do not feel like I'm capable of taking proper advantage of the tool given to me.

So I am currently starting to play through Homefront: The Revolution and I want to get the controller setup for basic FPS gameplay.

What are your preferences to FPS games? What should I tinker with in the settings and so on?

Ideally I want to have some basic templates like "FPS" or "Third-person" for controls, and not spend more then five minutes per game doing any changes.

I feel like the controller could easily result in me spending all available playtime on tinkering instead of playing. Something I really want to avoid.

Steam has randomly started closing itself recently, really bumming me out. No error message or anything, I just know it is gone when my controller stops responding.

Foxyone

The gyro is pretty sweet for sniping / AWPing in Counter Strike. I finally won a game (and got a 17 killstreak) with AWP and no bonus weapons.

Since I play solely with the Steam Controller, I've trepidatiously started branching out from playing Mercy in Overwatch. So far, I'd say it works great with D.Va, not so great for Ana.

Anteater

another game down (shogo) after finishing max payne 1 and 2

this controller rocks

aiming just feels so sluggish :(

Where do you browse configs others uploaded? I want to try the SC with alien isolation. Any impressions playing that with the controller? I hope to at least get a slick way to do leaning/peeking.

Nabs

Where do you browse configs others uploaded? I want to try the SC with alien isolation. Any impressions playing that with the dry controller? I hope to at least get a slick way to do leaning/peeking.

Press X when you're on the Config screen, then scroll down to community.

Holy shit, got a monitor that can rotate vertically a couple months ago, this thing is a gamechanger for reading comics/manga. I'm using irfanview, pages take up almost the whole screen in 9:16 and I can just lean back and use the steam controller to move pages back/forth. The grips are great, I can comfortably go to the next page no matter what position I'm holding the controller in.

Totally forgot that the Steam Controller has bindings out of Big Picture Mode, I've had problems with BPM and visual novels, but I just realized that I can just use the desktop bindings and it'll work just as well for visual novels.

Lork

Pulling the triggers on the Steam Controller will often cause a double input in games that treat them like buttons. (eg. your weapon fires twice in an FPS, weapons switch twice in DMC4, etc.) Is there a setting I can use to mitigate this?

Lork

Turn off analog triggers.
That seems to have worked, thanks.

Turning analog on or off depending on the game works well enough I suppose, but what is it about the Steam Controller's triggers that makes it unable to gracefully handle both at the same time? I never had this problem on a 360 or PS3 controller.

Turning analog on or off depending on the game works well enough I suppose, but what is it about the Steam Controller's triggers that makes it unable to gracefully handle both at the same time? I never had this problem on a 360 or PS3 controller.

Yep, it has been an issue since day 1 and is purely a software oversight/bad design that apparently has not been a priority for them.

Nzyme32

You can use them perfectly as buttons with no analogue as above, or both with analogue first and the final click doing different things.

The problem you have is that you have it set as a hair trigger, which will activate much more rapidly based in how far and fast you press. Use the other settings instead. Works for me, I had a similar issue

dsk1210

Maybe the configuration has the button press on half pull and full pull on the triggers.

Just noticed that despite having the same name as the actual game on Steam, games added as a shortcut don't share configs with the Steam version. That kind of sucks. I'd have to upload it in two different places just so people would know that it exists.

So, thanks to this reddit post, I just found out that you can name your non-steam game shortcut as the app ID and it will pull the community configs from the Steam version of the game. Don't know if this was widely known, but I didn't see anything from a quick search in this thread. I feel a lot better about not uploading configs in two different places now, even if the way to get these is a little obtuse.

Nzyme32

Steam Client Beta Update - July 29

Steam Controller
  • Fixed a bug that could lead to pathological memory usage/crashes in certain configuration cases.
  • Made steam controller absolute mouse movements high DPI aware. This fixes problems where mouse regions and cursor position settings would be wrong in some circumstances when the user was using high DPI scaling settings in some Windows OS revisions.
  • Fixed haptic location not always being updated properly with activators.
  • Now when adding a new full press activator, it will use the mode's current haptic setting for the default setting of the new activator.
  • Fixed Activator based Haptics on specfic switch buttons to be correct based on physical position on the controller.
  • Fix for a bug when turning off legacy mode while editing Triggers.
  • Fix for incorrect modes being created when a developer is creating a new native configuration.
  • Fix for configurator option not showing up if game was VR capable and had VR controller support but also had non-VR and normal controller support.
  • Fix for adding action sets to fully legacy configs in games that have native configs. Now legacy action set configs and native configs won't stomp each other.
  • Fix for mode shifted mouse regions flipping their initial Y position if "teleport on start" was set that was introduced with recent set cursor position additions.
  • Cleaned up Choose Binding panel a bit visually to improve legibility.
  • Added icons for Controller Actions such as Change Action Set, Take Screenshot, Move Cursor, and Show On Screen Keyboard.
  • Fixed '\' not showing up on keyboard layout.
  • Added RB/LB buttons to change current action set when editing a configuration.
  • Fixed a few missing localization strings.
  • Fixed Set Cursor Position binding not functioning properly on Linux.
  • Fixed Streaming gyro not functioning properly.
  • Fixed gamepad binding highlights being offset in certain overlay resolutions

Anteater

can someone tell me the best community config for doom :p?

there're so many of them and a lot of them are just basically the controller + mouse

valve really needs to allow comments/longer description and stuff

Anteater

the people who use button click instead of touch release for the track pad are terrible people

people who don't have double tap for reload are terrible people too

Jinkies

I haven't played too much with my Steam Link yet as I'm waiting on the bluetooth Xbox One controller next week.

For those of you that are experienced with it, are there configs that make console-like games feel just like they would feel on a console? For instance, something like Transformers Devastation. If I'm playing with a controller, would the analog sticks function just like the console version would?

Is it best to pick community layout controls or the standard built-in profiles that Steam offers?

Either I misunderstood your post (and apologies in advance, if so), or you misunderstand what "Steam Controller" means.

This is the Steam Controller:
MTAFZaB.jpg

Durante

There were rumours some weeks back about a new version of the Steam controller. Anything new on that front? I'd like a second one, but if a revision is in the cards I can wait for that.

Nzyme32

There were rumours some weeks back about a new version of the Steam controller. Anything new on that front? I'd like a second one, but if a revision is in the cards I can wait for that.

Just this back in June:

Don't expect anything this year on that front, it's still in early design exploration.

We'll probably have to wait for info from Dev Days in October. I could really do with the next controller being a bunch quieter. Also having another set of paddles would be extremely useful as I'm always stuck with only one or two buttons that I regularly use but can only go on face buttons, or I'm using action sets regularly and need a better place to access them.without moving to the face buttons so often.

I have a problem with some games that don't seem to accept controller button configuration changes. For example I'm playing Shadows of Mordor using the Gamepad With High Precision Camera preset and it's great, but I wanted to assign the triggers as the X and Y buttons and move the trigger functions to the paddles. No dice, even though I changed the buttons through the interface the game still executes the original function of the trigger. So when I press the RT which I reassigned as X (attack) the game still makes my character go into sneak mode (the RT's default function). Is there any way of fixing this?

Top Bottom