• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nabs

Looks like they've gone and broken the functionality of the left trackpad on both the stable and beta branches. Good thing I finished AM2R before this happened, I don't have any other gamepads with me where I'm staying right now.

Really though, I should've known better than to assume I could go without something actually reliable as a backup, like a 360 controller. Such is the life of a Steam controller user...

huh? left trackpad is just fine.

Lork

I did some more investigation and it looks like my left trackpad isn't registering being clicked in unless I do it on the left side, which is I guess a hardware issue (?) My bad for assuming it was one of their extremely frequent software side fuckups.

derFeef

I would love if there is a way to force gamse out of tis KBM/Controller on tlh fly switching. I mean it is a good feature but it breaks the neck of the Steam Controller and in some games it is unplayable if you use the trackpad as a mouse - as for example Resident Evil Revelations - the input switch forces the game to pause and wait for ANOTHER key/button press to continue.

PaulLFC

I noticed the Steam Controller was reduced to £23.99 for me for some reason, so I was all set to buy one to see what it was like as the idea seems interesting - got to checkout... £7.40 postage?! That is absurd.

I mean at £31ish it's probably still worth it, but something doesn't sit right with me paying that much for postage when practically every other company will deliver for free or a couple of quid.

Hasney

I noticed the Steam Controller was reduced to £23.99 for me for some reason, so I was all set to buy one to see what it was like as the idea seems interesting - got to checkout... £7.40 postage?! That is absurd.

I mean at £31ish it's probably still worth it, but something doesn't sit right with me paying that much for postage when practically every other company will deliver for free or a couple of quid.

It's coming from Holland. Don't ask me why they don't have a UK warehouse, but that explains the postage slightly at least.

Foxyone

This thread sure moves more slowly these days.

I can't wait until World of warcraft Legion comes out in a week so that I can be as raid-ready as everyone else soon. I keep hearing people say you cannot handle raid content (healing) with a controller, and I wanna prove some people wrong.

level1

Postage is fucking ridiculous. Was all set to place an order to and guess what I saw on the checkout page? A whopping €25 postage fee. Insanity.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't tell when my battery is going to die. It seems to die once every two weeks. Weak.

Oh, yeah. Deus Ex was advertised with the controller, any indication for how it works with it?

It works pretty well, you can have different bindings for whenever you are in a menu and you can combine mouselook with controller inputs. When you try to assign a key the list of actions is empty and you have to go into legacy to assign a key.

My wireless receiver randomly stopped working. Contacted Steam support. They sent out a replacement no issues at all. Im missing it for Deus Ex though :(

Veal

Is anyone having problems with Doom lately? Yesterday I was able to play just fine, but today, I can't get past the title screen using the recommended dev bindings. Plus it keeps turning itself back on after I turn it off, but only in Doom. I just upgraded to 1060 from a 660ti and was looking forward to silky smooth Doom finally.

Nzyme32

Not sure where this is coming from, but apparently you'll be able to buy Steam Controller Dongles from the Steam Store soon:

17049019d5.png

Ever since I first plugged in my Steam Controller last year, my desktop has refused to work with traditional X-input devices. They function for a couple of minutes in-game, but eventually stop sending input. It wasn't much of an issue back when I first got it, since I only ever did it for comparison's sake, but I've been wanting to play some co-op games lately, and it's more convenient for me to use X-input controllers than buy two more Steam Controllers. Anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?

I just popped in newly charged batteries. The steam icon on the controller lights up while I press it but is off when I release it and nothing else happens.

What should I do?

Edit: It works wired.

WillyFive

Ever since I first plugged in my Steam Controller last year, my desktop has refused to work with traditional X-input devices. They function for a couple of minutes in-game, but eventually stop sending input. It wasn't much of an issue back when I first got it, since I only ever did it for comparison's sake, but I've been wanting to play some co-op games lately, and it's more convenient for me to use X-input controllers than buy two more Steam Controllers. Anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?

Perhaps your controller is still on and is actively emulating them?

Nabs

New update alert.

Big Picture and Chord Configuration Update

Steam Controller:

• Added Big Picture Configuration editing. Big Picture mode now has its own configuration which can be modified to suit user preference. A native cursor mode is available for mouse style interactions with the Big Picture UI. Action sets for various modes within Big Picture are available. Like other configurations, this can be save and shared with the community.
  • Added Steam Button chording configuration. Now while holding the Steam Button, this configuration will be loaded. This allows for a global, immediately accessible set of actions and hotkeys which can be chorded together with the Steam Button. Existing On-Screen Keyboard and Screenshot combinations are included by default as well as mouse, alt-tab, and media control functionality. This chording combination is available at any time, whether in Big Picture, in game, or on the desktop.
  • Added new bindable Controller Actions.
    Magnify will zoom in on the screen (as allowed by OS and application).
    Power options allow immediately turning off the Controller or Suspending, Restarting, or Powering off the Host Machine.
    Steam Music controls for navigating and playing music via Steam.
  • Fixed bad interaction when using turbo mode and toggle simultaneously in an operator.
  • Fixed a bug when loading native configurations which could change the order of listed action sets.
  • Fixed a bug for developers when adding a new native action set to an existing native configuration which could create incorrect mode ids.

Unai

New update alert.

Steam Controller:

• Added Steam Button chording configuration. Now while holding the Steam Button, this configuration will be loaded. This allows for a global, immediately accessible set of actions and hotkeys which can be chorded together with the Steam Button. Existing On-Screen Keyboard and Screenshot combinations are included by default as well as mouse, alt-tab, and media control functionality. This chording combination is available at any time, whether in Big Picture, in game, or on the desktop.

This is awesome! It will be really, really useful.

Edit: It seems that it's not up yet. I even tried to restart Steam.

Edit 2: Never mind, it's downloading it on the brackground.

Holy shit they finally added the Big Picture config that has been "coming soon" since day 1. I don't think I quite understand what "chord configuration" means, though.

Unai

Will Chording means I can have two different button layouts and switch between them by holding down the Steam button.

Yes, but globally. Like, before, Steam button + Select would open the virtual keyboard. Now you make any combination that you want. By default we have:

Steam +
- Y: Turn-off the controller;
- Select: Virtual Keyboard;
- RB: Screenshot;
- LB: Magnifier;
- Start: Alt + TAB (hold to go left or just use the grips to choose that window you want to open);
- Left Grip: Circle left after the ALT + TAB;
- Right Grip: Circle right after the ALT + TAB;

- Left Stick-Up: Turn up volume;
- Left Stick-Down: Turn down volume;
- Left Stick-Left: Previous;
- Left Stick-Right: Next;
- Left Stick-Click: Play/Pause;

I'm glad they finally added the Big Picture configs, but the mouse cursor disappears as soon as I stop moving it, which is really annoying.

The Chording is revelatory. I can't believe how good this thing has become.

I'm still waiting for them to stop assuming default scroll functionality in the built-in web browser, so youtube TV and Google Play music would actually work on the thing.

Chord configuration is an amazing feature. I can now have universal hotkeys for mumble so I don't have to either program personal hotkeys that others won't use into my configs or use a modified version of a config from the one that I upload to the community.

Has anyone had any problems with the grip/paddles? It clicks every time but it doesn't always register in game.

The paddles on the controller I bought at launch appear to be malfunctioning. There's a distinct click before the click that activates the binding. I bought a second controller and swapped in the back plate from that one, and the issue persists.

Anybody here try getting support on one of these? Is RMA hard? Does it even come with a warrant beyond 90 days?

Yes, but globally. Like, before, Steam button + Select would open the virtual keyboard. Now you make any combination that you want. By default we have:

Steam +
- Y: Turn-off the controller;
- Select: Virtual Keyboard;
- RB: Screenshot;
- LB: Magnifier;
- Start: Alt + TAB (hold to go left or just use the grips to choose that window you want to open);
- Left Grip: Circle left after the ALT + TAB;
- Right Grip: Circle right after the ALT + TAB;

- Left Stick-Up: Turn up volume;
- Left Stick-Down: Turn down volume;
- Left Stick-Left: Previous;
- Left Stick-Right: Next;
- Left Stick-Click: Play/Pause;
Well shit. I've had this thing since November and didn't know most of these.

The only ones I know are A + Steam (when off) to switch inputs (for me between my Steam Link and my PC), and Steam + RT to take a screenshot.

The ALT-TAB one in particular will be useful. Thanks!

Foxyone

Finally! Those button chords / "universal Steam button bindings" that I brought up a lot a while ago are now a thing. Can't wait to try them later and see how much more "mobility" I may be able to get when moving between games and desktop stuff. I also want to see if I can set up some bindings to help escape either a black screen or the controller being stuck without having to resort to a keyboard.

Unai

Well shit. I've had this thing since November and didn't know most of these.

The only ones I know are A + Steam (when off) to switch inputs (for me between my Steam Link and my PC), and Steam + RT to take a screenshot.

The ALT-TAB one in particular will be useful. Thanks!

Most of them are new. Before the last update it only had screenshot and virtual keyboard.

Nzyme32

New update alert.

Steam Controller:

• Added Big Picture Configuration editing. Big Picture mode now has its own configuration which can be modified to suit user preference. A native cursor mode is available for mouse style interactions with the Big Picture UI. Action sets for various modes within Big Picture are available. Like other configurations, this can be save and shared with the community.
  • Added new bindable Controller Actions.
    Magnify will zoom in on the screen (as allowed by OS and application).
    Power options allow immediately turning off the Controller or Suspending, Restarting, or Powering off the Host Machine.
    Steam Music controls for navigating and playing music via Steam.
  • Fixed bad interaction when using turbo mode and toggle simultaneously in an operator.
  • Fixed a bug when loading native configurations which could change the order of listed action sets.
  • Fixed a bug for developers when adding a new native action set to an existing native configuration which could create incorrect mode ids.

Awesome! Will have to give this a spin later. These are all things I've really needed, especially when the Steam Controller serves as the primary input device for the PC when in the lounge

Nzyme32

Oh dear. Ran into a bunch of problems with the update and what happens with chord configurations.

I tried to add CTRL+ALT+DEL mapped to Steam+B, but for some reason that didn't seem to do work at all. I then changed it to CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE for task manager, but while that does bring up task manager, you can't use the controller after that point while task manager is the active window, so I had to use my mouse to close it.

After messing with it some more, I quit BPM and shut the controller off with the new Steam+Y, but despite the controller being off some button combination must have been locked in.

Trying to return to chrome via the minimised icon would just keep opening new chrome windows when left clicking with the mouse. Left clicking in an already open chrome window would just highlight text, and it wasn't possible to even shutdown the computer via the start menu since left clicking that would do something else

Only managed to revert back by restarting the machine!

And as a final minor issue, the support section for the controller doesn't work properly anymore as it won't detect certain buttons

Lister

Banned
Fantastic update. I've been kicking bakc more and more lately thanks to this thing. I'm navigating websites and controlling the movie player with it without having to use the keyboard and mouse.

Only aliens could have crafted this thing. Which confirms all my suspicions.

That sounds frustrating Nzyme. The controller not responding when Task Manager is launched is expected behavior when Steam isn't running as an Administrator, but I can't account for all the other nonsense.

Nzyme32

That sounds frustrating Nzyme. The controller not responding when Task Manager is launched is expected behavior when Steam isn't running as an Administrator, but I can't account for all the other nonsense.

I kind of expect issues from these updates, I was just surprised that such a simple issue had such a consequence. I'm not sure what the keyboard combination was that got locked in, but I also don't know a way to mitigate it.

It's a fantastic update as long as that can be worked out

I had a couple (smaller) issues as well that seemed related to the Chording. I have two actions set for X button on my desktop config, and it got stuck in the Long Press action. Had to restart to fix it.

I really love being able to shut down the controller and my system so easily now, though.

Foxyone

Nice, if your cursor / controller gets stuck in a game (at least without Steam having crashed), you can indeed use button chords to escape the game window, go back to the BPM window, then get back to your game with fixed settings without having to have touched a keyboard.

Most of them are new. Before the last update it only had screenshot and virtual keyboard.
That would probably explain why I didn't know most of them!

Side note: These sorts of changes are welcome, as I frequently use my Steam Link from another room to the main PC. I use the Steam Link to turn on the PC and am frequently disappointed at how often I need to get up and walk to another room to fix one problem or another. It just makes the whole thing feel amateurish and not something I could recommend to a non-technical friend.

Karish

It would be cool if you held the steam button down long enough if it put up a little thing showing you all the shortcuts

Foxyone

New 08/30 update:

Added Minimize Big Picture and Exit Big Picture Controller Action Bindings

Default Steam Button Chord Configuration now matches Recommended Configuration

Fixed Support Panel not functioning properly

Fixed a case where Steam Chords weren’t being detected by Steam’s default Steam Button behavior, resulting in an action happening from Steam after a chord was completed.

Fixed Personalization Panel sometimes locking out input

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/869580637315808008

A few new bindings to play with and a few bug fixes.

I still really wish you could set it to play a different tune when connecting to a different device (e.g. device A plays one tune, device B always plays a different one). Switching between more than one device, it can sometimes be difficult to be sure you're connected to the right one - especially when both devices are within range of one another.

deadfolk

I still really wish you could set it to play a different tune when connecting to a different device (e.g. device A plays one tune, device B always plays a different one). Switching between more than one device, it can sometimes be difficult to be sure you're connected to the right one - especially when both devices are within range of one another.

This so much.

Or, instead of Steam+A activating a toggle, have one key combo for 'connect to dongle' and one for 'connect to Steam Link'

I've not played a non-Steam game with the controller yet, how do I set it up so I can play Battlefield 1 with it? Can non-Steam games have custom configs?

I've not played a non-Steam game with the controller yet, how do I set it up so I can play Battlefield 1 with it? Can non-Steam games have custom configs?

You have to add Origin's executable as a non-steam game, then launch Battlefield from the launcher. You can then set custom configs just as you would a Steam game. You can add multiple Origin games, but you'll have to rename your shortcuts.

Top Bottom