• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

I really like this controller for Rocket League but one feature I really wish it had - Analog Turbo.

I'd love to be able to set my left Trigger to the boost button - where the harder I press, the more it pulses the boost, for fine-tuned air control. With that alongside grip rolling and button-toggled gyro camera control, this thing would be perfect for RL

edit: So I've been fucking around with the Steam Controller with Rocket League a bit more and I've found something that's genuinely transformative. It almost feels like cheating, lol.

I mapped the left grip like so -

Activator 1 - Regular Press Left Stick Left
Activator 2 - Regular Press "A" Button + 1 tic start delay

and the right grip similarly, but using Left Stick Right instead.

So that, if I'm in the air, tapping the left grip will jettison me to the left, and tapping the right grip will jettison me to the right, regardless of my camera orientation. This lets me hit the ball from a side angle INCREDIBLY easily without any of the orientation/stick direction confusion that comes with occasionally using Ball Cam. It's crazy useful.

I also changed the triggers so that they reach their max output just before Full Press, so that I could change the full presses into Powerslide and Boost, respectively (Powerslide is actually a mode shift triggered by full press so that I don't continue to reverse during powerslides - should probably use Hip Fire with it). That way I free up the X and B buttons for Roll Left and Roll Right, respectively.

I'm pretty sure that I've spent more time in the Overwatch Training Room playing around with my config than I have actually playing the game. The in-game vsync in Overwatch and DOOM feel really laggy which had me thinking about input latency in general, so I decided to try setting the touchpad and gyro smoothing all of the way down. There is more jitter like this, but not an exceptional amount, and the controls feel pretty responsive. I think I'm going to run it like this for a while and see if it needs any tweaking or if this will be permanent. The only real annoyance I've had with it in my short time testing it has been the occasional jerky movement from moving my thumb on/off the pad kind of slowly which may just be something to adapt to. I know some people like to turn the smoothing up, but have many of you gone the other way with it?

Nzyme32

I'm pretty sure that I've spent more time in the Overwatch Training Room playing around with my config than I have actually playing the game. The in-game vsync in Overwatch and DOOM feel really laggy which had me thinking about input latency in general, so I decided to try setting the touchpad and gyro smoothing all of the way down. There is more jitter like this, but not an exceptional amount, and the controls feel pretty responsive. I think I'm going to run it like this for a while and see if it needs any tweaking or if this will be permanent. The only real annoyance I've had with it in my short time testing it has been the occasional jerky movement from moving my thumb on/off the pad kind of slowly which may just be something to adapt to. I know some people like to turn the smoothing up, but have many of you gone the other way with it?

I have not had this issue at all with Doom via Vulkan. The default setup for the Steam Controller has been amazing in terms of the right pad and gyro. Only thing I changed was to remove auto aim & aim assist, which I hate and doesn't make sense with the Steam Controller for me

I don't think that I've tried vsync since Vulkan was patched in. I just fired it up for a minute when the patch came out to see how my performance was.

Nzyme32

Enloops and I'm sitting pretty. I think I'll try it with Mad Max next.

I read some time ago that the controller is broken in Mad Max.

It used to work flawlessly but an update somewhere along the line has broken the mouse & gamepad combo.

As temporary solution follow this, which will make the mouse-like joystick option work as well as possible by both improving the sensitivity and making the sensitivity scale equal across x and y (hard flicks don't work well though):

Mad Max temp fix (or rather as best as it can be till Valve / Avalanche fix Mouse + Gamepad)

- Right click mad max in your game library
- Select properties
- Select local files tab
- Click browse local files
- Open settings file in notpad
- Change:
SensitivityPitch 90
SensitivityYaw 90

- When using the Steam Controller in game, use the Mouse-like joystick option

Downside is that hard flicks are slower than they should be, but normally swiping around works brilliantly.

Thankfully this is one of the few games that is messed up. Max Payne 3 is still more fun with the Steam Controller's Gamepad+Mouse setup though. Can't get enough of it at the moment

It used to work flawlessly but an update somewhere along the line has broken the mouse & gamepad combo.

As temporary solution follow this, which will make the mouse-like joystick option work as well as possible by both improving the sensitivity and making the sensitivity scale equal across x and y (hard flicks don't work well though):

OKAY! Thank you for helping navigate this, as I had no idea there was a bug.

Sorcerer

I can't believe that after waiting for the Big Picture Configuration, they didn't add an option to solely touch the touch pads without clicking. I love the touch pads but they are not great d-pads if you have to click them.
I can do it with the Steam Button option but I don't want to hold down the Steam Button the whole time.

Jinkies

I can't believe that after waiting for the Big Picture Configuration, they didn't add an option to solely touch the touch pads without clicking. I love the touch pads but they are not great d-pads if you have to click them.
I can do it with the Steam Button option but I don't want to hold down the Steam Button the whole time.

You can do this. Turn on the "Legacy Settings" I think?

Sorcerer

Yup, hit start and go into legacy settings. It's there. :D

Thanks, this worked great. The only problem is touch menu legacy mode does not seem to work in Big Picture, (Maybe because I am using Steam OS). I compensated with Region, start touch, click for back on the right trackpad.

Maybe You cannot mix Legacy controls with Big Picture config on the same trackpad?

Sophia

Steam Controller + mouseover macros = All the benefits of healing with a KB/M in FFXIV, with all the benefits of a controller. <3

Thanks, this worked great. The only problem is touch menu legacy mode does not seem to work in Big Picture, (Maybe because I am using Steam OS). I compensated with Region, start touch, click for back on the right trackpad.

Maybe You cannot mix Legacy controls with Big Picture config on the same trackpad?

I'm on Windows, but I'm pretty sure you can? I'll try it in a bit.

EDIT: Huh, sure enough, the touch menu doesn't work on BPM itself. The rest of the legacy controls are fine however.

so I'm using dolphin to play the metroid prime trilogy and theres a config on steam for the prime 3, so i go sweet im pretty sure it functions the same way anyway, and for the most part it does, theres an issue tho. every fucking button keeps taking a screenshot in steam, sometimes my keypresses don't even go through cause its taking so many damn pictures. no where in teh config is there F12 tho. anyone ever have this issue?

Sorcerer

Steam Controller + mouseover macros = All the benefits of healing with a KB/M in FFXIV, with all the benefits of a controller. <3

I'm on Windows, but I'm pretty sure you can? I'll try it in a bit.

EDIT: Huh, sure enough, the touch menu doesn't work on BPM itself. The rest of the legacy controls are fine however.

Wonder if its a bug, an oversight, or just the way Valve wants it?
Thanx once again, you have been very helpful!!!

Nabs

New update includes Radial Menu and 250 new touch menu icons. The best controller becomes even better.

• Added Radial Menu Mode &#8211; A radial menu for touchpads and joysticks which allows up to 20 radial bindings, a center/deselected optional binding, and a click binding. The Radial Menu is geared towards being a mode shift popup on the stick or pads, but can also popup on demand like a Touch Menu. Allows for various output methods including an Always Send option which sends the bound command as soon as the option is highlighted. This can be useful to output through a list or even bind 8-way movement.
  • Added Always Send input style to Touch Menu output. This style always outputs the selected menu item, as seen on radial menus.
  • Added ~250 new icons for use in Touch and Radial menus.
  • Fixed a bug where joystick modes could get stuck with stick deflected when changing actions sets.
  • Fixed showing actions for games which use native configurations but have no native actions, which required manually changing to legacy mode for bindings.
  • Fixed On Screen Keyboard showing daisy-wheel for steam controller users.
  • Fixed Activator Selection Row not focusing the right Activator button when moving up from the activator settings.
  • Fixed on screen keyboard not getting focus when using the desktop configurator.
  • Fixed activator labels after the initial one not working properly when using the on-screen keyboard.
  • Added handoff between directional and mouse cursor based input in big picture when using the pads/stick.

I'm excited to try out the radial menu. The new Always Send option is also cool, I know Blizzard will be happy.

Surfinn

As someone who pre-ordered the controller for FPS gaming.. have there been any significant improvements? It's been collecting dust for a long while now.

Nzyme32

New update includes Radial Menu and 250 new touch menu icons. The best controller becomes even better.

I'm excited to try out the radial menu. The new Always Send option is also cool, I know Blizzard will be happy.

Nice, will have to give these a spin, particularly the radial menu.

As someone who pre-ordered the controller for FPS gaming.. have there been any significant improvements? It's been collecting dust for a long while now.

There have been significant improvements very regularly since launch. It's actually got to the point where I can't keep up in the OP and will have to give that another overhaul. All the updates have had some effect upon FPS control depending on what style you like. I'm not even sure what to mention.

It's also going to vary from game to game. Personally, I'd say take a look at Doom's trackpad use and sensitivity and how that plays. It's the sweet spot for fast paced action demanding lots of turning and aiming in all directions with the low friction mode, as well as gyro for a very fine movement or long tracking runs. The rest of the layout is just standard controller but you could transpose any number or variety to suit keyboard if a game doesn't support that, and then there is also all the mode shifting / touch menus / activator options depending on what you want to do per game. Too much to really go into with such a vague FPS question

Is this controller significantly better than the new Xbone controller? I am trying to set up my computer to my new TV in my living room so the mouse support sounds amazing, but this thing looks really complicated at first glance.

Am I over thinking it or will it really be plug and play? Would it work with games on UPlay and Origin as just a regular controller or will the mouse navigation support still exist within those platforms?

Layell

Is this controller significantly better than the new Xbone controller? I am trying to set up my computer to my new TV in my living room so the mouse support sounds amazing, but this thing looks really complicated at first glance.

Am I over thinking it or will it really be plug and play? Would it work with games on UPlay and Origin as just a regular controller or will the mouse navigation support still exist within those platforms?

I believe with the touchpad and gyro it's leagues better than dual analogue.

It is read as a mouse and keyboard by the computer, there are enough presets made by users that you'll find something good for whatever game you want. You'll likely want to change. A quick google will show uplay/battlenet/whatever but if necessary you can modify the desktop config instead of installing the launchers through steam.

It's not as good as a mouse for accuracy and for most probably never will be. It's definitely better than a regular controller IMO. As others mention, there's been a TON of improvements in the past year (I've been using it since November 2015) and the flexibility available is impressive, but for both broad and precise movements, you still can't beat a mouse. I play quite a few FPS games on the couch via my Steam Link, and it's certainly serviceable.

I was able to remain competitive using the controller in Age of Empires 2 on my first game (not first AOE2 game, just first with the controller), if that's any indication. It does require effort on your part in many games to find the right configuration though, it's not plug and play like the Xbox controller will be. It's basically the PC of controllers: tons of flexibility, but you often have to work a bit harder.

Foxyone

These updates always happen when I'm at work T^T

Does that "always send" option make it so that the touch menu always displays on screen?

Also, any potential good uses for the radial menus? I personally feel like I'd prefer a 16 button square for lots of miscellaneous buttons, and a 9 button one for hotkeys that I need good accuracy for.

Nabs

This update is smooth as hell. You can put 20 hotkeys on the analog stick, and that's before any shifts.

sQvLHKi.gif

It scales nicely as well. Here's a 4 hotkey convo wheel: https://streamable.com/vtsm

And a larger one on the touchpad with activators for weapon select: https://streamable.com/d6hc

I like the look of the radial menu a lot. It's definitely prettier than my current touch menu.

WillyFive

The controller is excellent, but it does not play nice with Origin; it is either a pain to set up for origin games or it simply doesn't work at all.

Blizzard

Banned
I heard someone asking about an 8-way d-pad, sounds like the radial with "Always" should handle that.

AND YES I AM SO HAPPY. I just came to this thread to make a happy post but I see you beat me to it. I tried the "Always" option with my Street Fighter V config, and it's a beautiful thing now. You might even be able to play charge characters with it, though I only tried R. Mika moves.

Random Valve devs, if you see this, thank you! That was the final major feature I wanted.

I may pick it up on the next free weekend I have so I can invest some time in it instead of just getting frustrated and giving up.

Thanks all for the input!

I hope it's clear I obviously did all this for that pun!

Oreoleo

No no no. I adore the Steam controller, best controller I've ever used IMO, but one thing it is not is plug and play. It's STUPIDLY versatile so yes you could set it up the way you like it (non-Steam games are very finicky but you can make it work) BUT it will take a healthy amount of tinkering and time spent hands-on to learn your way around it and figure out how to best configure it.

Outside of games, for just general HTPC usage (web browsing, watching media etc) it is pretty much plug and play. It's completely replaced the wireless mouse/kb app I have installed on my phone.

Edit: Can't believe it took a full year for them to implement radial menus, but I'm glad to have it all the same!

Widge

My only thing about the Steam Controller is that I've not really got a game loaded to play it with.

I'm happy with my XB1 pad for controller enabled games. However, I do like having it here in case I do find myself playing a game that won't play nicely.

Something like Civ5, RTS, 4X or something. Or going retro on something like Oblivion.

HTPC use - how do you do this?

Sophia

My only thing about the Steam Controller is that I've not really got a game loaded to play it with.

I'm happy with my XB1 pad for controller enabled games. However, I do like having it here in case I do find myself playing a game that won't play nicely.

Something like Civ5, RTS, 4X or something. Or going retro on something like Oblivion.

HTPC use - how do you do this?

I'm not an HTPC user, but for me the Steam Controller is basically a full replacement for any game I'd normally use Keyboard and Mouse. My hands aren't in the best shape anymore, but the Steam Controller feels very good for them and allows for extended (two hour+) sessions again with no discomfort.

For games that are already controller enabled, I try to look for ways to improve the setup using the features of the controller. For example, I made a KB/M setup for Assault Android Cactus for the precision of mouse aim. For FFXIV I incorporated the mouse into the controller setup so I have mouseover macros on a controller. For Dariusburst, I turned the analog stick into a facsimile of an arcade stick based upon the suggestions here. And so fourth, and so forth...

Lork

I was briefly excited for this update because I thought it might be a way to get around the fact that they don't let you bind buttons to the analog stick unless they're in the 4 cardinal directions, but the inability to choose where each button goes on the circle makes it mostly useless for that purpose. Instead it's really just a more ergonomic reskin of the old touch menu feature, or rather what it should have been in the first place. Oh well.

My eyes also lit up for an instant when I saw the option to set activators for the radial buttons, which would open up a lot of possibilities, but of course that turned out not to work, and the fact that the option was even there in the first place was probably a bug.
Again, oh well.

Veal

The controller is excellent, but it does not play nice with Origin; it is either a pain to set up for origin games or it simply doesn't work at all.
That's weird. Every game I've tried on origin works well with it. I just have to select them from origin from within steam. Nox is a game I've had trouble with though.

Layell

Does anyone have a great Overwatch config, I've struggled to set up something that works well for me, at first I used a modified version of my TF2 setup. But setting up everything while avoiding not removing control over the mouse trackpad is darn difficult.

I'm half considering buying a cheap/used car racing footpad because those two buttons could make all the difference.

Sophia

Does anyone have a great Overwatch config, I've struggled to set up something that works well for me, at first I used a modified version of my TF2 setup. But setting up everything while avoiding not removing control over the mouse trackpad is darn difficult.

I'm half considering buying a cheap/used car racing footpad because those two buttons could make all the difference.

My Overwatch configuration. All major actions are on the shoulder/grip buttons. Designed specifically for playing Junkrat and Zarya.

EDIT: This image is slightly outdated. Start now has Escape menu on mine and Y is Hero Select.

Nzyme32

Am I just being stupid or do Steam Chords not work for things like CTRL+ALT+DEL, or ALT+Tab etc etc?

Really annoying to not be able to do that even when it seems set up for it

Am I just being stupid or do Steam Chords not work for things like CTRL+ALT+DEL, or ALT+Tab etc etc?

Really annoying to not be able to do that even when it seems set up for it

I haven't had an issue with Alt+Tab, but some may have an issue because they're Administrator commands.

Nzyme32

I haven't had an issue with Alt+Tab, but some may have an issue because they're Administrator commands.

I haven't managed to get them to work at all, but I should be the administrator for my system as I am the only user, although Windows 10 automatically makes some things a higher level of "administrator" that even a traditional administrator can't access.

Do you force Steam to run in administrator mode or not?

EDIT - Nevermind, fixed it. Just needed to reload the binding set and now it works for whatever reason

Nabs

Alt+Tab works just fine for me (Steam+Start), but I haven't bothered with CAD. I don't run Steam as Admin, so it wouldn't make sense for me.

My favorite chord binding is for turning the controller off. Super clutch.

If Steam isn't running as Admin, the controller won't work doing Admin commands or when an Admin program has focus.

I do run Steam as Admin sometimes, but Windows 10 refuses to boot with it that way, which sucks.

Nzyme32

Gah, one more bug - I have the Big Picture config set up so that the touchpad can be a mouse. For some reason if you start BPM and try to use the touchpad as a mouse, the cursor will flick on and off when you move and triggers for clicking don't work either. You have to go to the BPM config again in the settings and then back out for it to work properly. Really annoying since I love using the touchpads rather than the stick for BPM.

Alt+Tab works just fine for me (Steam+Start), but I haven't bothered with CAD. I don't run Steam as Admin, so it wouldn't make sense for me.

My favorite chord binding is for turning the controller off. Super clutch.

If Steam isn't running as Admin, the controller won't work doing Admin commands or when an Admin program has focus.

I do run Steam as Admin sometimes, but Windows 10 refuses to boot with it that way, which sucks.

Yeah thanks, seems my controller didn't get the binding set locking in correctly somehow. It works now with the exception of the more admin stuff. And yeah, my favourite is definitely switching the controller off with the chord binding rather than holding the steam button for a long time. Clutch is the word!

My mobo has a usb mediated boot feature, so I might mess with it and see if I can get the Steam controller to boot the whole system that way perhaps.

I have the same BPM issue with the cursor. It's like it doesn't handle simultaneous gamepad and mouse inputs, which is ridiculous because that's the whole point of the damn thing.

Being able to boot with the controller would be awesome.

Foxyone

I've had some issues lately that a reboot / steam restart seemed to have fixed, but they have still been annoying. For some reason, using steam chords to get back to the desktop resulted in a desktop configuration that was not my normal one nor the game one (perhaps the normal kb+m template). And when I went back to the game, it kept those weird bindings, unless I went to and minimized BPM first. I also had an issue where the left and right triggers turned into volume controls in the desktop.

Nzyme32

I have the same BPM issue with the cursor. It's like it doesn't handle simultaneous gamepad and mouse inputs, which is ridiculous because that's the whole point of the damn thing.

Being able to boot with the controller would be awesome.

Yeah, it only works after going back into the configuration tool, at which point everything magically works till you quit BPM

deadfolk

How well does GTA V play with the SC?

Does it handle simultaneous Mouse+KB?
What about walking/shooting/driving/flying etc.?

Thinking of picking it up while on sale, but I would probably be using the Steam Controller 90% of the time, so if it doesn't handle it too well I might skip it.

Sophia

The issue I'm having now is that FFXIV (Non-Steam version) is not picking up the Steam Controller as an Xinput controller. So I have to plug in an actual 360 controller in order for it to be reorganized and my profile loaded. Very annoying.

Oreoleo

How well does GTA V play with the SC?

Does it handle simultaneous Mouse+KB?
What about walking/shooting/driving/flying etc.?

Thinking of picking it up while on sale, but I would probably be using the Steam Controller 90% of the time, so if it doesn't handle it too well I might skip it.
It can handle gamepad + m+kb fairly well. It does this weird thing where if you move the mouse while using the gamepad key to sprint you'll sort of stutter-step for a second which is really annoying. BUT if you use a keyboard key to sprint instead the issue goes away entirely.

So my config is mouse on right pad, Shift (for sprint) on one of the back paddles, and the rest is pure gamepad config and it works 100% fine 100% of the time.

Trying to set up a pure m+kb config was way too complex and time consuming trying to account for all the different controls in the game (plane vs helicopter vs boat vs driving vs shooting etc) that are "baked in" to the game's gamepad controls so I gave up on that pretty fast. Maybe now that activators are a thing it would be more doable.

I had to bother Steam Support for a replacement this week. It's my second time since launch (and probably my last, based on warranty length). My controller just wasn't working wirelessly anymore. Tried it with two different dongles, and the controller's input would stutter unless I was holding it right next to the dongle. Even just using it a short distance away at my desk wouldn't work; there had to be a straight line between them. I also tried shutting off all the wireless electronics around, and it made no difference, so I could only assume my controller was acting up.

I'm beginning to get a bit exhausted with this device. It can feel like such a hassle at times. If I didn't know any better, I would've probably sold it by now and stuck with a mix of KB+M/dual analog controller. It's just that when it works, it's such a wonder to play with compared to anything else on the market, so I guess I'm going to stick with it for now. Besides, seeing the support for it this year, I have faith that its pace will only increase during the next year. I just hope Valve keeps the ball rolling with the Steam Controller. They'd be making a big mistake if they abandoned it.

Top Bottom