• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Red

Castle in the Darkness doesn't seem to work. I wanted to try Jade Empire but it crashes on launch. KotOR won't properly display. I'm having a lot of trouble running games I've been waiting a long time to try.

I'm definitely having a problem with the controller not responding for a second or two in multiple games. Even just trying out rocket league for a few minutes the left stick would stop responding in the menus for a few seconds, but then pick back up fine. In MGSV it was the right pad, in rocket league its the left stick.

This might be the game switching between m/kb and gamepad modes if you have both on the Steam Controller. Many games don't play nice with both those inputs simultaneously.

Some MGSV gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7pn3a45AnQ

Altered Krejlooc's config to have some different button placements. I like the back paddles for tab switching in the iDroid but I might eventually switch one of them to Reload.

alerus

Neo Member
I'm definitely having a problem with the controller not responding for a second or two in multiple games. Even just trying out rocket league for a few minutes the left stick would stop responding in the menus for a few seconds, but then pick back up fine. In MGSV it was the right pad, in rocket league its the left stick.

Maybe it's unrelated, but as far as Rocket League goes, I have that same problem with the 360 controller sometimes (only happens in menus). That makes it at least possible that it's not a controller issue?

EDIT:
Either that or as grandwizard suggested, it's a mouse/controller switch issue and when I have the problem with the 360 controller maybe I bumped the mouse by accident?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone else having the weird problem in Oblivion where mapping wasd to the left pad makes you walk ultra slow, but the analog stick walks normal speed? I don't have anything modifying wasd, it's just plain keys...

I can't get the Steam overlay to show up in WoW, meaning that the Steam controller reverts to default bindings when I launch the game which is useless. It felt pretty good for movement and stuff but useless for combat. My bindings wouldn't be but I can't see how to get them working. :/

Zia

So, I marathoned some Downwell with the controller last night and it was lovely, booted it up today and the face buttons now pause the game instead of working like 360 controller inputs. Any ideas? I haven't changed any settings that I know of.

R3TRODYCE

So after opening my box and it not having the extender I decided to contact Valve CS and they responded in ~2 hours and are shipping out a free extender. I didn't think they'd respond that fast.

Maybe it's unrelated, but as far as Rocket League goes, I have that same problem with the 360 controller sometimes (only happens in menus). That makes it at least possible that it's not a controller issue?

EDIT:
Either that or as grandwizard suggested, it's a mouse/controller switch issue and when I have the problem with the 360 controller maybe I bumped the mouse by accident?

I have the same issue in the Rocket League menus.
Once they unpause they are then fine until I go into the controller menu again. Think it might be the controller pausing to remap or something.

Zia

So, I marathoned some Downwell with the controller last night and it was lovely, booted it up today and the face buttons now pause the game instead of working like 360 controller inputs. Any ideas? I haven't changed any settings that I know of.

Just restarted Steam and it fixed itself, by the way.

Also, thanks to whoever informed me about the hatch on the bottom of the Alpha. I might even chuck the 360 controller once MGS is fixed. Really elegant solution.

So after opening my box and it not having the extender I decided to contact Valve CS and they responded in ~2 hours and are shipping out a free extender. I didn't think they'd respond that fast.

Did you check under the card cutout for the controller at the back? Loads of people have missed it already.

Glad to hear Valve are on the ball with this though.

R3TRODYCE

Did you check under the card cutout for the controller at the back? Loads of people have missed it already.

Glad to hear Valve are on the ball with this though.

Yeah I turned the box inside and out then I watched unboxings to make sure it was supposed to come with it and my box doesn't have that blue rectangle cardboard under the controller cutout that holds the extender.

Red

When using the Steam controller in Portal 2 co op if using a 360 pad, the second player is unable to shoot portals.

Or maybe this is a different issue. Tried now with 2 360 pads and player 2 still can't shoot.

Regular CS or the email address they gave? Like when Reborn left beta in Dota they're probably now in a very active mode. Wouldn't surprise me if there will be weekend updates.

trackpad vs Mouse, what do you all prefer on the steam controller?

Im finding both to be pretty inaccurate so far if youre playing a precision game like a FPS

Red

trackpad vs Mouse, what do you all prefer on the steam controller?

Im finding both to be pretty inaccurate so far if youre playing a precision game like a FPS
It works pretty well as a mouse if you lower in game sensitivity and raise hardware sensitivity via steam.

scitek

Anyone try using the Steam controller as a GCN controller in Dolphin? There's a handful of a games that have different effects for when the L/R is pushed in a bit, and when it clicks. I thought that the Steam controller would be great for emulating that, but after playing with it a bit, I think maybe the Steam controller's range is a bit too narrow to use it like that?

Can't you adjust the deadzone of the triggers in Dolphins' settings? Try messing with that.

This controller is fucking awesome for first-person shooters. Played Bulletstorm, Shadow Warrior and Prey.

The sweet spot for me is Friction on Low, and Acceleration off with default sensitivity. That makes it sensiive enough to let me fine tune my aim when I need, but also turn around with one swipe. I also have Rotation and Smoothing up pretty high to keep it horizontal as much as possible. Otherwise my aim flies all over the place.

Really having fun, but realizing, much like when the Wii launched, I need to build up dexterity in my forearm as flicking my thumb around is working muscles that aren't typically used for long periods of time.

Is it possible to somehow bind the analog stick to move twice with a single press? It would make using the special moves in Shadow Warrior way more fun.

Red

Chompy Chomp Chomp doesn't seem to work with the steam controller. Can't even access the steam overlay.

Jinkies

The left touchpad's scrolling gesture feels amazing in the built-in browser. I hope Valve adds that behavior to Windows proper as well as the configuration screen.

la_briola

My girly thumbs (my nail goes to the tip) are making the ballerina method difficult.

Same, its made for thick fingers I suppose.
cm-vi1.gif

Red

The left touchpad's scrolling gesture feels amazing in the built-in browser. I hope Valve adds that behavior to Windows proper as well as the configuration screen.
How do you do this? My left pad doesn't do anything in the browser.

TheRed

So I dont think I have working haptics in the left pad. Just tried Dark Souls 2 and the binds said haptic feedback in title and I raised the intensity to high on the left pad, still felt nothing. I get a slight feeling on right trackpad set to high though with a low buzzing sound. I think that one's working right.
Nvm just tried Hotline Miami and felt it in the left pad. but I couldnt move cursor to the right of the screen with the right pad no matter what bindings I used. Hmm still haven't got the controller to be perfect in any game yet :/ except Rocket league but that's simple.

What did you do? Just curious for future reference when I actually get a controller in a few weeks
I just added the WoW-64.exe to Steam as a shortcut. You have to log in every time though since it doesn't launch through Battle.net but as I play in front of my m/kb anyway it wasn't a big deal :)

Deadstar

It does replace the 360 controller for me. It's far more precise and offers more buttons. My 360 controller is already unplugged and in a drawer.

There is going to be a learning curve for some people, especially if you grew up in the dual analog era. For me it's old times, learning a new controller system.

Have you tried portal 2? I used valves config and it felt very floaty. I'm sure I need more time with it but I felt like I didn't have the accuracy of the xbox controller. I could swing the camera around quicker yes, but I couldn't stop it where I wanted to.

Also whenever I move the right pad somewhere and stop, it moves for a couple seconds. Is that normal? It feels really weird.

Also, anyone having big picture mode chug on windows 10? It's when everything slows down and there's a huge delay.

Blizzard

Banned
Just a heads up, the "www.controller.steampowered.com" URL in the OP doesn't work. I had to use "controller.steampowered.com" instead.

Also, I started by plugging in the dongle but not turning on the controller, and Windows 7 gave me a driver installation failure saying 3 Steam controller devices were not plugged in. Is that expected?

Jinkies

I tested the d-pad with some Super Nintendo games. I played the same level with a 360 controller and the Steam Controller.

The Steam Controller was actually more responsive, which surprised me. I suppose it's because my thumb could glide around and correct mistakes more quickly.

How do you do this? My left pad doesn't do anything in the browser.

In Steam's Web Browser, go to any site and flick the left pad up and down as you would a phone.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm getting flickering with the controller overlay with SLI enabled (Star Citizen). Anyone know a workaround? It seems to only be drawing the overlay on one GPU since the overlay is only getting rendered every other frame.

The issue does shows as a resolved bug in earlier Steam patch notes.

(I guess disabling SLI is sort of a workaround...)

---

Does the gyro show up on the input test screen for anyone? Wondering if mine is broken.

Blizzard

Banned
Just a heads up, the "www.controller.steampowered.com" URL in the OP doesn't work. I had to use "controller.steampowered.com" instead.

Also, I started by plugging in the dongle but not turning on the controller, and Windows 7 gave me a driver installation failure saying 3 Steam controller devices were not plugged in. Is that expected?
The mouse worked in Windows out of the box. Is the right trigger the left click? Almost every time I would try to click, I would accidentally move the mouse, which was awkward.

However, I launched big picture mode and got prompted for a firmware update. Once the popup went away about the 1-minute firmware update, the controller stopped working completely. The light is on, but nothing works, including pressing the Steam button. Is this also expected?

Blizzard

Banned
I think mine is permanently broken already. :( I turned the controller on with the dongle, made sure the mouse worked, launched big picture mode, selected update firmware, and waited. Once the popup went away, the controller light was stuck on.

I tried removing a battery and putting it back in. The controller would turn on with the light once I pressed the Steam button, but it never does anything and cannot be turned off, even if I hold the Steam button for 10 seconds.

Unless anyone has ideas I guess it's time to email for an exchange.

Ricker

I think mine is permanently broken already. :( I turned the controller on with the dongle, made sure the mouse worked, launched big picture mode, selected update firmware, and waited. Once the popup went away, the controller light was stuck on.

I tried removing a battery and putting it back in. The controller would turn on with the light once I pressed the Steam button, but it never does anything and cannot be turned off, even if I hold the Steam button for 10 seconds.

Same kind of thing for me...I am trying my friend's controller that he had problems with yesterday and I have the same issues...first time I plugged it in my computer,I saw the PC seeing the dongle,on the task bar,it filled up the green icon,then nothing,no message or anything,so I turned on the controller,opened up Steam,switched to BPM and no other prompt come up...

If I go in options controller,add steam controller,the press X and power up Steam controller window pops up,but after pressing that about 5 seconds,the controller shuts off...no upgrade firmware message anywhere,nothing...the controller works but BPM doesnt see it...so I tried without the dongle for wireless,I plugged just the USB in the controller and nothing pops up again and now I cant shut off the controller...

Blizzard

Banned
Same kind of thing for me...I am trying my friend's controller that he had problems with yesterday and I have the same issues...first time I plugged it in my computer,I saw the PC seeing the dongle,on the task bar,it filled up the green icon,then nothing,no message or anything,so I turned on the controller,opened up Steam,switched to BPM and no other prompt come up...

If I go in options controller,add steam controller,the press X and power up Steam controller window popS up,but after preesing that about 5 seconds,the controller shuts off...no upgrade firmware message anywhere,nothing...the controller works but BPM doesnt see it...so I tried without the dongle for wireless,I plugged just the USB in the controller and nothing pops up again and now I cant shut off the controller...
I solved mine at least (thanks Wallach who would have probably solved my problem if I hadn't tried the cable):

1. I plugged the stuck-on controller in using the wired USB cable.
2. I launched big picture mode again, which started updating firmware (again?).
3. Once the firmware update finished, the controller worked.
4. Once that was finished, I was able to unplug the controller and use it in wireless mode, turning it on and off (though turning it off by holding the button makes big picture mode come up).

I hope this is a rare case because I suspect this will really confuse some people if it happens.

Oh, and if you have the controller plugged in with USB, you cannot shut it off -- you will have to unplug it. Maybe yours got its firmware updated already somehow? I wish there were a way to check the version.

Wallach

Have you tried rebooting, and then using a wired connection after you load BPM to see if it redoes the firmware update?

Ricker

I solved mine at least (thanks Wallach who would have probably solved my problem if I hadn't tried the cable):

1. I plugged the stuck-on controller in using the wired USB cable.
2. I launched big picture mode again, which started updating firmware.
3. Once the firmware update finished, the controller worked.
4. Once that was finished, I was able to unplug the controller and use it in wireless mode, turning it on and off (though turning it off by holding the button makes big picture mode come up).

I hope this is a rare case because I suspect this will really confuse some people if it happens.

Oh, and if you have the controller plugged in with USB, you cannot shut it off -- you will have to unplug it. Maybe yours got its firmware updated already somehow? I wish there were a way to check the version.

Do you see the controller in the settings wheel,under controller now,you know where it asks to press X while powering on the controller...? if I plug back my 360 controller,it sees it there....but I will try what you said in a minute.

Tendo

I'm currently using 5g wifi on my of to a Comcast high speed modem/router and will connect my link via Ethernet when it arrives. Anyone have any idea what to expect as far as speed and connection? I really don't want to run a cable down my hallway.

Won

Tried to set up things properly for Wildstar and got pretty close to make things work without resorting to button combos. Just one or two things missing, but I think I can make it work.

Mostly mentioning this, because so far I find it fairly easy to set things up. Lots of interesting options in there, most of it well explained (some stuff seems to be missing though) without ever getting really overwhelming.
So far I'm really happy with the controller.

Just played a few hours of Borderlands 2 (just using the default gamepad + mouse config) and it felt amazing. Actually better than Portal 2, which is a bit curious. In Portal 2 I had problems with jitter when I left my thumb on the pad, but in Borderlands 2 it was rock solid. I think I would actually play with the controller over M&KB even at my desk, since it's somewhat more comfortable over long periods, and the stick is a lot nicer for movement.

Just checked my settings, and I had cranked the sensitivity up a bit in Portal 2. Anything above the default sensitivity seems to cause some jitter. Luckily it feels fine at the default, so whatever.

Guys,

I just had my first go of this, and my initial thoughts are so poor but i think it's done to how it was set up and my lack of knowledge.

I got everything working and tried to play The Witcher 3 and Alien Isolation.

I tried a bunch of community layouts for both and in both cases, i can't imagine using this over either KB/M or my XB1 controller.

Does anyone else feel this way or am i not doing something correctly?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I tried DOOM 3 BFG Edition yesterday. It was tough at first but once I got the hang of it it wasn't tough.

I had fun using my shotgun with the new way to aim. I still had to use the analogue stick because the other pad was weapon swap. I noticed clicking the mouse was a bumper. I thought it would just go with A or B like it does with everything else.

Otherwise I like it. It's going to feel great with an adventure game or an RPG.

Configuring it for other games is going to be interesting. BioShock wanted a configuration before launching.

I have W3 on GOG, so this will be interesting.

Decado

Castle in the Darkness doesn't seem to work. I wanted to try Jade Empire but it crashes on launch. KotOR won't properly display. I'm having a lot of trouble running games I've been waiting a long time to try.

I wasn't expecting to hear things like this. I figured this was just a controller. Never had a controller cause crashing or display issues in a game.

Top Bottom