• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

I ordered mine on September 7th and my Steam order page says "Shipping Info - Pre-Order"....Does anybody know when I can expect mine to at least ship?

Fired up Mass Effect 2, and after moving some bindings around, I can see myself playing the whole game with the controller, takes a bit to get used to the pad, but man it feels good to play ME2 on PC with a controller and not have some weird setup with pinnacle type software.

There is going to be a learning curve. Tried to play Metal Gear 5 and gave up in frustration, will force myself to play it to get used to it.

If nothing else, the steam controller is a distraction/novelty, something to take a look at and try out, bring new life/challenge to old games, but I think I might get used to it, and use it for most games.

scitek

Anyone have any idea why Mirror's Edge is the only Steam game I have installed where the overlay won't work? I've disabled my anti-virus, MSI Afterburner, Shadowplay, and it still won't show up, so I can't use the controller to play it. Annoying as hell.

Shari

I had the same trouble initially. I had success im mapping the controller as a standard gamepad then making alterations from there (aggressive response curve + high haptics is a first step in everything now for me). All my non - steam games have accepted this so far.

Care to tell me how?

Yokai

I find it difficult for some games where people have set massively higher sensitivities for the mouse, where a spin that would usually take me 180 was now doing 1080. That's way too much for me

Settings in the steam controller suggest you turn down in game sensitivity settings if you haven't, btw. That may be a solution to your issue.

Care to tell me how?

Once I set the binding to "gamepad" everything seems to recognise it. I can then make alterations inside that as much as I like. Uplay was giving me endless shit until I figured that out. Bit from what I've seen so far, non-steam games are a case by case kind of thing.

I haven't found a good way to play third person action games that don't do simultaneous mouse and gamepad input. You trade either accurate aiming or beautiful analog character movement so I'll just play those with my DS4 to save myself the annoyance. For point & click, RTS, and first person shooters (Republic Commando ftw) though this controller is glorious.

Anyone have any idea why Mirror's Edge is the only Steam game I have installed where the overlay won't work? I've disabled my anti-virus, MSI Afterburner, Shadowplay, and it still won't show up, so I can't use the controller to play it. Annoying as hell.
Can't you edit the controller config for the game before launching it?

Nzyme32

Settings in the steam controller suggest you turn down in game sensitivity settings if you haven't, btw. That may be a solution to your issue.

Ooooooh. I totally forgot I would have uped the sensitivity because my mouse is shit.. Damn it

The Cowboy

I really am missing rumble already, i like the haptics on the pads but i really wish they'd also opted to put in rumble motors in the grips - it just feels wrong playing shooters and not having feedback when firing guns etc.

I do like the pad, but I really can't wait for gen 2 of the pad - one that has better (not requiring Steam BPM) software, rumble + haptic feedback and a better button layout (just a bit bigger really).

Looks like I wasn't mad:

https://m.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3p4utt/anyone_having_trouble_turning_the_controller_back/

People reporting similar issue I got where the controller froze then wouldn't turn back on. Inside 2 red lights come on where the copper squares are. Removing the batteries and putting them back in again fixed this.

Yeah, I had this happen earlier today after Crusader Kings 2 froze in BPM and I tried pressing the main steam button on the controller several times. Controller gave its beep and turned off, then it wouldn't come back on again until I took the batteries out and popped them back in.

Had me scared for a minute thinking the controller had croaked after less than a day's use.

Omg this experience is so buggy. I've had my fun but definitely wish I had waited for it to get out of Beta. Getting the controller to do the simplest of things is a frustration (like getting the left trackpad to emulate a scroll wheel). The worst part is I don't know whether it's the controller, Steam, BPM, or Windows/Ubuntu acting up.

Whoa so it took me a day to realize this controller is made for index and middle fingers to always be on the 4 shoulder buttons. I think it's something difficult to do with any other controller, but doing it with this controller makes it feel way more comfortable. The ABXY buttons are way easier to reach, the upward slant of the handles feels comfortable instead of cramp-inducing. Everything about it feels way more natural in this position.

Just a protip in case anyone else hasn't tried it yet. Definitely the correct way to hold this controller imo.

Omg this experience is so buggy. I've had my fun but definitely wish I had waited for it to get out of Beta. Getting the controller to do the simplest of things is a frustration (like getting the left trackpad to emulate a scroll wheel). The worst part is I don't know whether it's the controller, Steam, BPM, or Windows/Ubuntu acting up.

Not sure if your issue is responsiveness, but I've found the wireless part to be a little finicky. I'm not sure if it's a driver or HW issue, or if I need to use the extender thing for the USB receiver. For now, I've found that plugging the controller in to the PC is much, much more responsive. I haven't seen anyone else complaining about it, so I think it might be a pretty small issue/specific to my setup.

Maztorre

Do you think right grip as attack and right touchpad click as jump (or visa-versa) in 2D games could work well? It sounds like the face buttons aren't the best and are a bit out of the way to be comfortable for primary inputs. So I'm wondering if the grips and touchpad clicks have a low enough actuation force to be primary action buttons without fatiguing your hand. Especially stuff like rapid firing in a shmup or Mega Man game.

The triggers would be more comfortable attack buttons than the grips. I usually map the grips to secondary/tertiary functions or a run modifier, for example. For something like Megaman your most comfortable setup would be jumping on right pad click and firing on the right trigger in my experience.

TheRed

I really am missing rumble already, i like the haptics on the pads but i really wish they'd also opted to put in rumble motors in the grips - it just feels wrong playing shooters and not having feedback when firing guns etc.

I do like the pad, but I really can't wait for gen 2 of the pad - one that has better (not requiring Steam BPM) software, rumble + haptic feedback and a better button layout (just a bit bigger really).

Yeah I miss rumble too

Lyon

So what happens with non-steam games? Can you still fully edit your controls and is there a way to access other peoples bindings?

GTA V for example, I bought it outside of Steam and play it as a non steam game, any way to grab popular configs?

Odrion

Banned
Turned off the Haptic feedback for the right pad. I'm surprised that, for all the hype for it being this big innovation, how useless it turned out. So the pad now shakes when I roll my thumb on it, what is that feedback suppose to mean? What does a single "click" of the virtual trackball indicate? That I'm moving my thumb on the pad? I know that already.

Where is the sensation of momentum that I was told this creates?

kodecraft

This is what people aren't talking about. How can y'all play without rumble?

Turned off the Haptic feedback for the right pad. I'm surprised that, for all the hype for it being this big innovation, how useless it turned out. So the pad now shakes when I roll my thumb on it, what is that feedback suppose to mean? What does a single "click" of the virtual trackball indicate? That I'm moving my thumb on the pad? I know that already.

Totally agreed. The haptics were way overhyped. I get enough information visually of what my thumb is doing and even on the highest setting they don't do much.

Totally agreed. The haptics were way overhyped. I get enough information visually of what my thumb is doing and even on the highest setting they don't do much.
I do like how accurate the trackpad is but yeah the haptics might as well not even be there. I thought it was actually going to feel like a trackball but it just feels like something is rumbling in the controller.

Qassim

I also don't think the haptics are as good as some people claimed, but specifically with the trackball emulation I do think they do a really good job - it does feel like something is spinning in there when I flick it around, it's quite a cool sensation that adds a reasonable amount.. for me.

Spazznid

On the contrary, I will no longer take a controller seriously unless the joysticks have haptic feedback.

When you enable haptic feedback on the analog joystick it feels wonderful.

I think the real benefit of the haptics is going to require games to specifically utilize it. Take the XBone's trigger rumble, for example. At first it seemed gimmicky, but games like the recently released Forza have found really interesting ways to use it that add to the experience. I'm not writing off the haptics yet, the device isn't even technically released yet.

Steering in Rocket League with the gyro is completely impractical, but dammit, I have extra buttons, so I gotta at least bind the option.

scitek

Can't you edit the controller config for the game before launching it?
Yeah, but the controller won't work with Mirror's Edge at all. Only other game it won't work with so far is Gears of War, but that's not a Steam game, obviously, so I'd expect some weirdness there.

I bet it would work with Mirror's Edge if I installed the Origin version. How backwards would that be?

Deadstar

Could a controller configuration guru help me out?

I'm trying to configure the controller buttons for tabletop simulator. When I press the triggers, soft press or hard, the camera zooms in and out. I stripped the bindings off the soft press and hard press and the triggers are still zooming in and out. Why and how is this happening? Am I missing something?

I want to remap the triggers but whenever I put in a different key it still zooms in and out when I press them even though I haven't set any zoom in or out keys. Thanks!

Whoa so it took me a day to realize this controller is made for index and middle fingers to always be on the 4 shoulder buttons. I think it's something difficult to do with any other controller, but doing it with this controller makes it feel way more comfortable. The ABXY buttons are way easier to reach, the upward slant of the handles feels comfortable instead of cramp-inducing. Everything about it feels way more natural in this position.

Just a protip in case anyone else hasn't tried it yet. Definitely the correct way to hold this controller imo
Wii U's Gamepad is designed for index and middle finger use. The Wii's Nunchuck also.

Can't wait to try the Steam controller myself thought.

On the contrary, I will no longer take a controller seriously unless the joysticks have haptic feedback.

When you enable haptic feedback on the analog joystick it feels wonderful.

I was mainly talking about it on the mouse trackpad, with trackball inertia either on or off. It is pretty cool for the joystick.

Iorv3th

I don't know, I really like it enabled. I was using a config without it and it didn't feel right, turned it on low and just something about it and having the feeling of moving and not just relying on the visuals is great.

Been playing MGSV with Krej config, had to up the sensitivity but man I really am starting to like the control a lot.

kinn

So after opening my box and it not having the extender I decided to contact Valve CS and they responded in ~2 hours and are shipping out a free extender. I didn't think they'd respond that fast.

Wow. Thats great. I havent heard anything yet!

kinn

The left touchpad's scrolling gesture feels amazing in the built-in browser. I hope Valve adds that behavior to Windows proper as well as the configuration screen.

Is it possible to add Firefox\Chrome into steam and remap controls?

Sorcerer

The game I currently playing had a weapons loadout on buttons `1-6 on the keyboard. I was stumped at first.

Then I attempted to map the scroll wheel to the analog stick, but that did not work for some reason.

Then I mapped the scroll wheel to the paddles, left paddle scroll down, right paddle scroll up. Then I bound 1-6 to the scroll wheel. This worked perfectly.

Controller is amazing.

Mask

The Internet Browser in BPM is really good! I wouldn't mind seeing the steam controller scrolling being implemented in more web browsers.

I made some really good bindings for Grim Dawn and Spiral Knights, been playing those a lot with the controller. Shame my FNAF4 bindings don't actually work, the Shut Door doesn't respond, and the WASD won't respond in the mini-games either.

Top Bottom