• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

I'm having a hell of a hard time getting Arkham Knight to work. I tried the most popular configuration, but the right stick is extremely awkward to deal with. It's incredibly sensitive and jittery to the touch, but dialing it down to make it usable for aiming results in incredibly slow turn speeds. I've tried tweaking a lot of the settings (the config creator had sensitivity at 100%!) but there's no balance that feels right.

Also, the gyro aim stutters and locks up for no apparent reason. It doesn't happen when I'm pressing another button or anything, it just seizes up while it's the only input active. The gyro aim at least feels as good as ever when it works, and is a hell of lot better than the wonky trackpad aiming I've got for now.

At the moment, I think my Wii U Pro would be a much better way to play, but I don't want to give in when I know the Steam pad should be better. How is everyone else playing this game? Are there any configs that someone here considers an ideal way to play?

You might need to change your in-game sensitivity if you turned it up before. The creator of the config might have made while his in-game sens was lower than yours and so when you use his config with a high in-game sens everything is more jittery and too fast.

That's an issue with the Steam Controller coming out now and people making config files for games they might have already torn into the control options into on their own and not realizing they should base the configs off the defaults if they wish to share them.

Nerrel

You might need to change your in-game sensitivity if you turned it up before. The creator of the config might have made while his in-game sens was lower than yours and so when you use his config with a high in-game sens everything is more jittery and too fast.

That's an issue with the Steam Controller coming out now and people making config files for games they might have already torn into the control options into on their own and not realizing they should base the configs off the defaults if they wish to share them.

I haven't been able to find a sensitivity for the analog sticks in-gmae though. There's just a mouse sensitivity slider that does nothing.

A purely keyboard config might work better but of course you lose button prompts then.

I'd be more worried about losing analog movement for stealth sections.

This is another example of the Steam controller being really limited by software and lack of native support... all the hardware for a perfect control scheme is right there.

I haven't been able to find a sensitivity for the analog sticks in-gmae though. There's just a mouse sensitivity slider that does nothing.

I'd be more worried about losing analog movement for stealth sections.

This is another example of the Steam controller being really limited by software and lack of native support... all the hardware for a perfect control scheme is right there.

Sorry I assumed you were talking about a mouse based config since you referenced the gyro and I've only seen that used as mouselook.

I'd say to give the keyboard configs a try before you write them off though. I've been using WASD to analog stick emulation for years now and it's really not that big a difference. 8 way directions + adjustments with mouselook and speed control on an analog stick threshold (<.5 tilt hold walk key) works just fine. And in Batman's case there isn't really much speed granularity because running is on a button (A).

The lack of matching button prompts does suck though, but that is just something everyone is going to have to adapt to when using m/kb configs. I don't see the point of using gamepad configs when a great solution for that already exists in the 360 pad.

A redditor who pre-ordered it from Amazon

Hello r/steam,

I ordered the Steam controller on the 1st of November from Amazon after cancelling the Steam order.

I just checked my Amazon orders and while it still says they will email me about shipping estimates, there was this section above my account that displayed a shipping time. It says it will not ship until Dec 18th - 21st. This is exactly why I cancelled the order on Steam. If it was going to ship late they really should have let you know on the Amazon order page. I know there have been news articles about orders before October 19th, but I thought Amazon was different.

Would Gamestop have it on release? Or will I have to wait a month?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3ri685/steam_controller_orders_from_amazon_arent/

also it seems for games with native support you can press start to enable legacy mode

I can't test it right now, but pressing the Start Button should enable "legacy" mode, which may allow you to access community bindings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/comments/3rdkng/native_support_breaking_community_mappings/

Over-Run

Did Valve say if they plan on adding in Community ratings for configs? Would be super nice to be able to vote on configs and then sort them on best rated.

Mines said dec18 too a while ago but now it no longer has a date. Im going to cancel it if i don't get it nov10, dont feel like waiting till december

Mines said dec18 too a while ago but now it no longer has a date. Im going to cancel it if i don't get it nov10, dont feel like waiting till december
Glad I went with GameStop, but I just now preordered it this last Monday, but they made me use there online order system,because that store wasn't taking any more preorders at that location. Hopefully mine ships out by the 10th so I can recieve it soon after. I wonder if I would be able to walk into about any GameStop on the 10th if they would have some on hand for customers who don't preorder?

I wonder if I would be able to walk into about any GameStop on the 10th if they would have some on hand for customers who don't preorder?

thats what I'm planning on doing if I don't get it since theres a gamestop near my school and one near where I live. If I don't get one I'll just buy another ps4 controller instead.

Nerrel

Those of you just having yours shipped out are getting a comically better controller than those of us from the first batch. Valve has really been busy the past month. Enjoy

Those of you just having yours shipped out are getting a comically better controller than those of us from the first batch. Valve has really been busy the past month. Enjoy

Yeah, it sure sounds like it. I've honestly been getting annoyed by the daily Steam client update notifications, but I've just kept telling myself how thankful I'll be for them once my controller and Link arrive.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
With the sexy ass XB1 Elite controller.

Anyways, third person action games should have a default control set-up for the Steam controller, there isnt one yet but it needs one.

I've been saying that since I got mine last month. There needs to be "genre defaults" for people. It's absolutely shocking Valve didn't do that within the three years of them building this controller. The default binds are nothing more than keyboard and mouse replacements, which won't help certain genres that do use a controller most of the time.

Nzyme32

I've been saying that since I got mine last month. There needs to be "genre defaults" for people. It's absolutely shocking Valve didn't do that within the three years of them building this controller. The default binds are nothing more than keyboard and mouse replacements, which won't help certain genres that do use a controller most of the time.

The reason this ends up being a terrible idea is because you can not always guarantee what any particular genre will be supporting as input, or even what the best solutions are, as demonstrated of the past few weeks with the new community bindings and new Steam Controller input modalities. It's then also completely unrealistic to assume Valve will go through every single game to determine what is best, or enforce a "default" that ultimately may get superseded by what the community can come up with.

With the sexy ass XB1 Elite controller.

Anyways, third person action games should have a default control set-up for the Steam controller, there isnt one yet but it needs one.

Considering how good the mouse-joystick option has been for the third person games I have tried, I wouldn't be surprised to see that that works very well for the Batman Arkham series, and other games where simultaneous gamepad and mouse use are not possible.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The guys at previously recorded did an unboxing video of the controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snyVHZIPOd4

They spent like 25 minutes trying to setup the controller, LOL
That's the point of the stream though. They say as much. It's not a gameplay video. It's a "What the heck is the Steam Controller and how does it work?" video. Any problems are all part of the process.

Part 2 should be up tomorrow also.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Pre Rec intends to do more streams about it too, Jack and Rich are going to play the same game with either controller, and try to weigh the benefits of each. Unfortunately, so far they seem to be playing games that work best with controllers anyway, instead of those old games Rich seems to love like Thief, etc.

Yokai

I cannot get joystick mouse to work, it felt slow and unresponsive. Does someone have a good config example that uses it as it's intended to work?

It cetainly didn't feel like mouse movement on mgs5.

I cannot get joystick mouse to work, it felt slow and unresponsive. Does someone have a good config example that uses it as it's intended to work?

You also have to crank up the camera/aim sensitivity in game for it to work. Did you do that too?

Spazznid

Using it with witcher 3,and fuck if it isn't perfect. Wow, this controller just got more godly. Feels great now and no more UI issues.

I think the config I use is public, my steam name is in my profile. Set the ingame sensitivity to like 2

Pachimari

Will I get an email when mine is shipping out?

I ordered on Steam at July 2 and it is still not on its way. I'm gonna check my Steam purchase history later.

[edit]
So I just checked.

Ordered: July 2
Shipping date: November 10

Same here, but I kinda doubt it since it still hasn't even left the shipping center
Yeah, mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow but my tracking number is still at the "Label Created" phase. I'm hoping that it's just FedEx being bad with their tracking, as I believe I've had this happen before with them.

Unai

Well, I've played 30 minutes for the first time with my controller during lunch time and... I can see why people were turned off, but I will definitily get used to it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think you answered your own question. If some people like it, then it's worth it as an example of what the controller can do.

OH BOY HAIRTRIGGERS! Game-changer for Rocket League!

Oh, wait. Not really. Since instead of full pull acceleration with gradual acceleration, you now have two modes on the trigger and one may accidentally trigger if you forget it it's there and pull too hard.

And besides, Rocket League still plays like you're playing on a 360 controller with 2-3 new functions. Not really a radical controller-selling "demo."

The reason this ends up being a terrible idea is because you can not always guarantee what any particular genre will be supporting as input, or even what the best solutions are, as demonstrated of the past few weeks with the new community bindings and new Steam Controller input modalities. It's then also completely unrealistic to assume Valve will go through every single game to determine what is best, or enforce a "default" that ultimately may get superseded by what the community can come up with.

I'm not saying they need to go through every game. But there's certain genres like Fighting Games or Third Person Shooters that they totally didn't bother to test and make a "recommended template" for. How is using a keyboard and mouse set-up on the controller good for a fighting game, for instance? You should be able to configure the touch pad on the right to be a six-button controller like the Sega Saturn controller, but instead you only get "4 directions like the D-pad for A/B/X/Y, 360 controller and you can't even move them to where you can't get comfortable knowing you accurately hit the buttons."

Nzyme32

I'm not saying they need to go through every game. But there's certain genres like Fighting Games or Third Person Shooters that they totally didn't bother to test and make a "recommended template" for. How is using a keyboard and mouse set-up on the controller good for a fighting game, for instance? You should be able to configure the touch pad on the right to be a six-button controller like the Sega Saturn controller, but instead you only get "4 directions like the D-pad for A/B/X/Y, 360 controller and you can't even move them to where you can't get comfortable knowing you accurately hit the buttons."

It literally asks you before you start, and the templates such as gamepad are right there to go straight to. You are never pushed to use a keyboard and mouse for a game that also has the option of a controller.

As for the complaint of being restricted to 4 button pad, that's certainly valid, but I don't think the pad has the surface area to support the saturn layout in a meaningful way.

Russ T

Banned
OH BOY HAIRTRIGGERS! Game-changer for Rocket League!

Oh, wait. Not really. Since instead of full pull acceleration with gradual acceleration, you now have two modes on the trigger and one may accidentally trigger if you forget it it's there and pull too hard.

And besides, Rocket League still plays like you're playing on a 360 controller with 2-3 new functions. Not really a radical controller-selling "demo."

.......ok

Nerrel

Considering how good the mouse-joystick option has been for the third person games I have tried, I wouldn't be surprised to see that that works very well for the Batman Arkham series, and other games where simultaneous gamepad and mouse use are not possible.

It probably would be if Arkham knight provided analog sensitivity settings, but it doesn't. So the only way to avoid very slow input is to increase the minimum joystick setting in the advanced panel, which ends up translating all your actions into very big movements. It makes fast turning possible, but totally ruins your aiming because every small sweep becomes a wide turn across the screen.

I've just settled on the Wii U Pro controller for now. I lose analog triggers and gyro aim, but the game is just much simpler and more comfortable to play. Analog triggers barely even matter anyway, you can easily get by just tapping digitally to get the same effect.

luffeN

Is there a way to turn this off without Steam going back into big picture mode ;[

You would need to close Steam and then keep the Steam button pressed until the controller turns off. Otherwise just turn it off after playing the game in BPM.

Edit: If the above works too, then this.
Edit 2: I don't think I am in the beta, good to know!

Odrion

Banned
I played Sega Bass Fishing with this, using the gyro function as a control stick, effectively mapping it to the pole.

Not bad!

Nete

If any spaniard is waiting for the controller, Game.es has opened the pre-order gates for November 10th and free shipping.

There isn't any reference on the free games, but looking that Game UK will give them, I'm hopeful.
Not like I really care if they include them, but it's always nice to have free things :p

new stable build is out, for those not in the beta his means: http://store.steampowered.com/news/19185/

Added a new trackpad mode, Mouse Joystick. This is an alternate way of emulating mouse-style controls for games that disable mouse input when using a gamepad. For best results, we recommend increasing the gamepad camera sensitivity/speed in the game settings.
Added a new trackpad mode, Touch Menu. This mode is useful to bind many infrequently-used hotkeys to a single trackpad. The Big Picture in-game overlay has to be enabled for this feature to work.
Added support for custom controller configurations for Desktop mode
Added option to turn off steam controller when leaving Big Picture mode.
Additional work to prevent noise and drift for the gyro when in a steady state. Calibration will refine when left idle for five seconds if current configuration uses Gyro. If drift is severe, leave idle for 15 seconds for repeated refinements. Note that "always on" is not required for auto-calibration, it happens regardless of button activation.
Made trigger soft and full pull mode-shift and gyro-enable capable buttons
Added the ability to mode shift triggers
Mouse Rotation horizon line visualization is now shown/hidden when adjusted
Added Trigger Mouse Dampening. Squeezing the trigger can now engage a dampening factor to the mouse mode.
Added Joystick Camera option to Gyro.
Added Invert Horizontal and Invert Vertical to mouse/joystick modes.
Added options to configure the suggestion modes of the dualtouch keyboard
Added Legacy configuration option for games with In Game Actions, allowing users to access advanced settings.
Mouse Rotation now visualized as a horizon line when changing the slider.
Gyro Enable Button is now visible in the gyro preferences.
Added support for keyboard/mouse emulation on Mac
Fixed a client crash when running a game with an invalid official controller configuration
Fixed some "gyro enable button" options not applying properly
Fixed bugs preventing controllers from showing up under settings when using a Steam Link
Fixed properly showing binding descriptions for games that have an official configuration
Fixed an issue with emulated analog stick sometimes moving in the wrong direction when fully deflected
Fixed Trigger modes getting stuck on Hip Fire Aggressive
Fixed Rotation visualization for Mouse Joystick
Fixed Mode Shifts not showing up properly on main controller overview.
Fixed Mode Shifts not being disabled by setting the shift button to none.
Fixed loss of input in Portal 2 after losing focus or activating the overlay

Tealmann

Yeah, mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow but my tracking number is still at the "Label Created" phase. I'm hoping that it's just FedEx being bad with their tracking, as I believe I've had this happen before with them.

Same. Still shows as Label Created, however, there's been no movement on it.

That's exactly what's happening to me too. Hopefully it's all some error because of how many are going out at the same time, but unfortunately I think they're just holding them until the 10th.
We'll find out tomorrow, I guess

Dex815

Nice to see that they are able to fix most of the small issues by software updates and they keep improving it.

Too bad I fucked up my hand and now I have stitches in my right palm :( Dammit I want to play! haha

Blizzard

Banned
Nice to see that they are able to fix most of the small issues by software updates and they keep improving it.

Too bad I fucked up my hand and now I have stitches in my right palm :( Dammit I want to play! haha
Time to make some left-hand-only controls and play that way! I'm actually wondering if the controller could work this way since I know someone who only has their left arm.

Red

Time to make some left-hand-only controls and play that way! I'm actually wondering if the controller could work this way since I know someone who only has their left arm.
With mode shift it's probably possible to do this in a few games. Would be tough for games that require simultaneous movement and orientation input though.

Top Bottom