• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Unai

I was trying to play Bioshock 1 it doesn't show the Steam Overlay in Big Picture Mode so I can't configure it. Does anyone know how to enable Steam Overlay in this game?

Over-Run

Hmm mine is the Nov 10th shipment and it says shipping soon. Since I live in Ireland and it hasn't been shipped I don't see how I'l have it on the 10th

So, have they yet come up with a numpad mode similar to the Touch Keypad, but more responsive? Basically just regular button mode, but with 9 positions? Because that would be GREAT.

Touch Keypad is almost great, but since it relies on BPM UI, it's too slow to consistently work in a game, which is annoying. If they could just map the functions to the controller itself, such that even without BPM it would still function, and then pop up BPM as an assist, that would work great, but as it is, it's not fast enough for MMO skill usage.

Veal

Would the touchpads be robust enough for a Swype like typing experience? Could valve conceivably add something like that to steam?

0.02% we'll get native Steam controller support for Fallout 4 yeah? I don't mind as it's not hard to set up but I'm curious is BGS had mentioned anything about it.

Unai

0.02% we'll get native Steam controller support for Fallout 4 yeah? I don't mind as it's not hard to set up but I'm curious is BGS had mentioned anything about it.

We don't know but I think the chances are way higher than that, even if it's in a patch in a couple of weeks.

Mostly because the controller has a very steep learning curve. It's hard to use it at first.

I don't think it's just learning curve, I think it's that people are going to realize that for most situations they have a superior solution and going through the hassle of making or getting used to a new config isn't worth it.

Valve gave people the idea that gamepad + mouse is a thing that is going to work when it almost never does and so people are resorting to these 'emulated mouse to joystick' setups just so they don't lose pad-only button prompts. It's so weird to me, having an absolute input device in your hands and a game that accepts that input and then resorting to this xim-adapter type stuff which emulates a joystick.

In these situations there is really no reason to just not go with a 360 pad as you are not using the capability of the controller, and I think that is the conclusion many will make.

The one use case I see for this controller right now is floating cursor games like Civilization or Cities Skylines being playable from a couch. Everything else and most people are going to wonder why they don't just use their 360 pad or mouse and keyboard.

I don't think it's just learning curve, I think it's that people are going to realize that for most situations they have a superior solution and going through the hassle of making or getting used to a new config isn't worth it.

Valve gave people the idea that gamepad + mouse is a thing that is going to work when it almost never does and so people are resorting to these 'emulated mouse to joystick' setups just so they don't lose pad-only button prompts. It's so weird to me, having an absolute input device in your hands and a game that accepts that input and then resorting to this xim-adapter type stuff which emulates a joystick.

In these situations there is really no reason to just not go with a 360 pad as you are not using the capability of the controller, and I think that is the conclusion many will make.

The one use case I see for this controller right now is floating cursor games like Civilization or Cities Skylines being playable from a couch. Everything else and most people are going to wonder why they don't just use their 360 pad or mouse and keyboard.

Yes, this is what I see a lot of people conclude after a while. And I can see this being a theme for Valve's other future products, such as the Vive or Source 2.

welly_59

Neo Member
anyone tried fallout 3 with steam controller?

fo4 is out same day as my controller comes and i want to spend my time using both at once

Over-Run

It seems a lot of people who don't like the controller don't understand its use case.
The controller is about allowing you to play every game ever from a couch or bed or whatever and not having to be in front of your monitor and using a keyboard. Sure you might prefer using a PS4 controller or Xbox One controller, but then you have to go through the hassle of setting up profiles for every game outside of steam and making it work that way, rather than having it be fully customizable inside of Steam, and being able to make changes on the fly in games.

It annoys me to see reviewers on Youtube, especially somebody like Austin Evans, review the controller and conclude that he just found it weird and not as good as an Xbox elite controller.

kazinova

Not a huge fan of their shipping methods. Hey, we're preparing to send you your Steam Controller...

Here's a FedEx tracking number!

Not that we're shipping it in the next week days or anything, we just wanted you to have the number!

Exuro

Well the hope is that new games have native bindings so you won't have to deal with that. Although even then Portal 2 which has native bindings has even better bindings through one of the custom configs(but hey options are good). It'll be interesting to see what kind of support appears in the future. I'm hoping Valve at least tried to push devs to add native support.

deadfolk

Since it's a shitty port it doesn't support mouse + gamepad at the same time. I've used just the gamepad config but changed right trackpad to use mouse joystick. Still haven't figured out how to make that work right, it is indeed too slow. A purely keyboard config might work better but of course you lose button prompts then.

What I did for Arkham City, which has the same problem, is set it the edge spin speed and edge spin radius for the right pad. This means that when you have your thumb at the very edge of the pad, it is equivalent to pushing an analogue stick all the way.

This means that when you swipe, if the camera needs to go a little further, you just keep your thumb at the edge of the pad after the swipe. It's not perfect, but it helps.

Not a huge fan of their shipping methods. Hey, we're preparing to send you your Steam Controller...

Not that we're shipping it in the next week days or anything, we just wanted you to have the number!

Yeah, my package is still sitting in Illinois expected to arrive by the end of the day today :( oh well, at least it'll get here by the 10th... Probably... :(

Tealmann

They finally gave me an update on it, they finally actually started shipping it yesterday at 3pm. Now it's not coming until the 10th.
Good system you got there

TheRed

The steam controller is the best $50 I've spent this year. I use it in almost every game I play now. Yes it takes effort to get used to and lots of time configuring for each game,
but I like to to be able to change settings so much to where I get it exactly how I want in each different game. A lot of games don't let you change button mapping on gamepad and if I don't like their presets that's it, with the steam controller I can come up with something exactly for me.
More of my first time playing Black Ops 3 with it yesterday.
https://youtu.be/6hCot-xTvg4

Odrion

Banned

Yeeup. Kinda funny to see how it has progressed.

1.) Confusion
2.) Anger
3.) Acceptance
4.) Love
5.) Man rebinding for every game is tiring oh wait why don't I just use a Xbone controller

laxu

While I agree that it is not yet ideal, I believe the situation will improve as Valve and players start demanding simultaneous mouse + gamepad support. For playing many PC games on the couch the Steam controller is really nice compared to having a keyboard and mouse in some awkward tray or whatever.

The controller is really the first of its kind where it gives the player the option to make a configuration, a very complex one if needed, that works for them. To me the hassle of configuration is well worth it when it goes beyond what a normal controller can do.

Well the hope is that new games have native bindings so you won't have to deal with that. Although even then Portal 2 which has native bindings has even better bindings through one of the custom configs(but hey options are good). It'll be interesting to see what kind of support appears in the future. I'm hoping Valve at least tried to push devs to add native support.

While I agree that it is not yet ideal, I believe the situation will improve as Valve and players start demanding simultaneous mouse + gamepad support. For playing many PC games on the couch the Steam controller is really nice compared to having a keyboard and mouse in some awkward tray or whatever.

The controller is really the first of its kind where it gives the player the option to make a configuration, a very complex one if needed, that works for them. To me the hassle of configuration is well worth it when it goes beyond what a normal controller can do.

I hope you guys are right that Valve lights a fire to get devs to support this stuff more. I've always thought a mouse just as a camera control even in stuff like third person action games is really underrated, people generally associate it with aiming and shooting but just being able to look at any angle in an instant in a fast paced action game is a great thing to have.

The issue is that even if they do get that stuff in new games, it won't change the thousands of games already out there. I really wish they hadn't given the idea that gamepad + mouse mode would work because it just misled people and it saddens me to see people emulating an analog stick on a touchpad just so they maintain xinput prompts.

Odrion

Banned
Well, the mouse joystick does work better than it should.

And is it just me, or does using the touch pad kinda makes the screen... Jittery? Like using a stick at 60fps feels smooth, while using the touchpad it feels like your camera jumps a few pixels a lot as you change direction or look around.

laxu

The issue is that even if they do get that stuff in new games, it won't change the thousands of games already out there. I really wish they hadn't given the idea that gamepad + mouse mode would work because it just misled people and it saddens me to see people emulating an analog stick on a touchpad just so they maintain xinput prompts.

I don't think they ever did say those two were going to work seamlessly. At least I knew that it would not work in all games and in those you have to find compromises by either sacrificing button prompts (analog stick for WASD works surprisingly well IMO) or using the mouse joystick emulation stuff that seems to be something even Valve is still working on.

My biggest issue is that the folks who got the first preorder are essentially guinea pigs. There's just many small issues with the UI that should not be there. While it's commendable that Valve has fixed many of those issues so quickly, some still remain.

I really wish they just made Big Picture mode support 1440p and 4K resolutions and anything in between because that would really help give enough space to fit all the stuff on screen. Or otherwise they should give a desktop or overlay version of the configuration editor.

Nzyme32

And is it just me, or does using the touch pad kinda makes the screen... Jittery? Like using a stick at 60fps feels smooth, while using the touchpad it feels like your camera jumps a few pixels a lot as you change direction or look around.

The jitteryness is dependant on the sensitivity you are using and how you move along the pad. The mouse smoothing setting can pretty much get rid of this. I found that particularly if you prefer using a light touch, a little bit of smoothing works very well

Spazznid

I'm gonna be real here, and say that I feel like the Mouse Joystick feature deserves a thread to make it more known, and that in every game that uses a Controller setup, I have used it to Fantasmamazing success.

I was getting spikes in Witcher 3's framerate whenever it detected a switch in input from gamepad to mouse, as well as the issue of the hud changing to reflect my last pressed button, but now, I can play perfectly with what I feel is one of the most comfortable gaming controls I've ever used.

It just feels so good. Valve should make Peanut butter, cause it'd be smoove as hell.

Crayon

Me too! One of the things I like about a pad is taht is has the effect of smoothing camera motion in 30fps and below games. The steam controller is like a mouse where my perception of framiness is enhanced.

Anyhow, I'm surprised how many people have a problem with the pad+mouse support. I just set the controller to mouse and keyboard for everything. No analog move? Boo hoo. Not missed when playing with wasd.

Unai

Ok, I've just spend one hour or more setting Resident Evil 4 to emulate keyboard and mouse, and I think the final result is pretty cool. Resident Evil 4 is one of those games where I can't use gamepad + mouse.

- The left stick will make Leon run or walk depending on much I push the stick.
- The left is also used to zoom in or out (when using a scope for instance);
- The aiming (right trigger) will kick in the low sensitivity gyro controls or you can just use the higher sentivity from the right trackpad;

I think it works pretty well. I don't know about the QTEs yet, though.

Odrion

Banned
Me too! One of the things I like about a pad is taht is has the effect of smoothing camera motion in 30fps and below games. The steam controller is like a mouse where my perception of framiness is enhanced.

Anyhow, I'm surprised how many people have a problem with the pad+mouse support. I just set the controller to mouse and keyboard for everything. No analog move? Boo hoo. Not missed when playing with wasd.

The real cool thing to do is map WASD to the left pad and map the scroll wheel to the stick.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, my package is still sitting in Illinois expected to arrive by the end of the day today :( oh well, at least it'll get here by the 10th... Probably... :(

I put in my tracking number and nothing comes up. When I got it the FedEx thing said I'd be getting mine today or tomorrow, now when I put it in nothing comes up.

Odrion

Banned
The jitteryness is dependant on the sensitivity you are using and how you move along the pad. The mouse smoothing setting can pretty much get rid of this. I found that particularly if you prefer using a light touch, a little bit of smoothing works very well

Did they remove or move mouse smoothing? Doesn't seem to be where I remember it being.

Eusis

Ok, I've just spend one hour or more setting Resident Evil 4 to emulate keyboard and mouse, and I think the final result is pretty cool. Resident Evil 4 is one of those games where I can't use gamepad + mouse.

- The left stick will make Leon run or walk depending on much I push the stick.
- The left is also used to zoom in or out (when using a scope for instance);
- The aiming (right trigger) will kick in the low sensitivity gyro controls or you can just use the higher sentivity from the right trackpad;

I think it works pretty well. I don't know about the QTEs yet, though.
If it weren't for QTEs I'd say that was one of those games where it doesn't matter. Movement is digital period, it's basically an analog stick emulating a DPad so what you did is more analog than the original setup.

Birathen

I got mine yesterday and I love it. Only problem so far is when I play Command Modern Air/Naval Operations that seem to launch outside of steam and thus my settings won't stick :(

Any workabouts for that other then changing the desktop settings each time I want to play CMANO? (Which I haven't tried yet and don't know if it works like that :))

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Mine has shipped as well. An early chrimbo prezzie to myself.

ascully

I put in my tracking number and nothing comes up. When I got it the FedEx thing said I'd be getting mine today or tomorrow, now when I put it in nothing comes up.

Mine is exactly the same, tracking worked yesterday but today it just throws an error, not sure what it going on.

ascully

Yeah just checked says Unfortunately we are unable to retrieve your tracking results at this time. Please try again later.

Might show up today who knows.

GRaider81

I'm pretty new new to Pc gaming and I'm really disliking playing FPSs With MKB (actually mouse is great but I HATE using my left hand to move etc. anyone that thinks that is better than a controller is nuts lol)

Anyway rather than train myself with MKB I'm thinking this might be a better thing to learn?

Odrion

Banned
I'm pretty new new to Pc gaming and I'm really disliking playing FPSs With MKB (actually mouse is great but I HATE using my left hand to move etc. anyone that thinks that is better than a controller is nuts lol)

Anyway rather than train myself with MKB I'm thinking this might be a better thing to learn?

Well, you're going to be using your right thumb a whole lot more doing constant sweeps and it might become comfortable over the course of a play session. So keep that in mind.

Top Bottom