• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

CSD has. Chubs made a guide for it. WL2 and Insurgency also added native support for it (was worded this way in the changelogs) recently, but don't know about bindings.

Exuro

CSD has. Chubs made a guide for it. WL2 and Insurgency also added native support for it (was worded this way in the changelogs) recently, but don't know about bindings.
Don't have CSD so can't check it out. :(

As for Wasteland 2 right now it just looks like mapped bindings rather than native but haven't looked too much into it.

Insurgency looks great though. Went in and theres in game and in menu controls as well as actions set up just like portal 2. Gonna check it out and see how well it works with the controller.

Exuro

For Wasteland 2 it said:
Cool I'll check it out.

I tried out insurgency and it needs some work with looking around. The camera control isn't very smooth and its very noticeable when you're in ADS. But fix that up, add in some in game button prompts and its good.

Gamestop says they're still shipping the controller on 11/10/2015 (rather than getting in December if you buy it directly from Steam) if you pre-order it now. I wonder if that's true.

Nzyme32

I'm super happy with a layout I've made for HL2 Update; I think I published it as "HL2 - Best New Update (NOV 2015)". You have to makes sure that you go to the mouse settings and have "gamepad" unchecked, and the mouse sensitivity set to default (3.00)

The new touch menu solves so much. I just have all the weapons as a 7 way touch menu. The gyro and trackball combo work fantastically. LT is just Right mouse / fire, RT is both Left click / secondary fire on click OR soft pull for the zoom. I set it to relaxed, so it is unlikely you will accidentally trigger the zoom when you want to secondary fire.

Thanks to the touch menu, there is a lot of freedom for the rest. I have RB as Reload, LB as Grav gun. LG as Crouch, RG as Jump. Left analogue click is Sprint. (A) is Quick Save and Back is Quick load - just so you can't make a mistake! (Y) is the Send/Recall Rebels, (B) is previous weapon, (X) is flashlight - but so is double tapping the right touchpad. Right touchpad click is use.

Seriously loving that binding set after being put off the last time I tried the game when the controller launched. Even in the frantic shootouts, the Gyro is just entirely natural to use with the trackball, and even on the fly weapon changes while running are a piece of cake!

chessnut

I'm having trouble binding my push-to-talk from my VOIP to my controller. It hasn't worked in mumble or ventrillo. I use 'k' on the keyboard as my push to talk, when I bind right bumper to 'k', it works when i'm not in the game or when I alt tab out of the game, but while I'm in the game, it just stops working and I can't talk. Is anyone else having this issue? I see posts on steam forums about it, some people have it as well but there's no fix.

dsk1210

I'm super happy with a layout I've made for HL2 Update; I think I published it as "HL2 - Best New Update (NOV 2015)". You have to makes sure that you go to the mouse settings and have "gamepad" unchecked, and the mouse sensitivity set to default (3.00)

The new touch menu solves so much. I just have all the weapons as a 7 way touch menu. The gyro and trackball combo work fantastically. LT is just Left mouse / fire, RT is both Right click / secondary fire on click OR soft pull for the zoom. I set it to relaxed, so it is unlikely you will accidentally trigger the zoom when you want to secondary fire.

Thanks to the touch menu, there is a lot of freedom for the rest. I have RB as Reload, LB as Grav gun. LG as Crouch, RG as Jump. Left analogue click is Sprint. (A) is Quick Save and Back is Quick load - just so you can't make a mistake! (Y) is the Send/Recall Rebels, (B) is previous weapon, (X) is flashlight - but so is double tapping the right touchpad. Right touchpad click is use.

Seriously loving that binding set after being put off the last time I tried the game when the controller launched. Even in the frantic shootouts, the Gyro is just entirely natural to use with the trackball, and even on the fly weapon changes while running are a piece of cake!

My setup is very similar to yours, except I have the B button as reload as I find that a handy button to push and it still leaves the LB and RB free. LB is sprint and RB is grav gun/last weapon , gyro and trackball and left stick click zoom.

Not sure if you mistyped your setting but I always prefer RT to be left mouse and LT to be right mouse.

Oreoleo

My right pad seems to have a dead spot along the outermost rim between the 7 o'clock position and the 11 o'clock position. I basically have to have my thumb half off the pad to be in the dead spot so it's KIND OF not important but it definitely exists. Tested in two different games by two different devs. Just wondering if anyone else is running into this or if maybe I got a slightly defective unit?

Blizzard

Banned
My right pad seems to have a dead spot along the outermost rim between the 7 o'clock position and the 11 o'clock position. I basically have to have my thumb half off the pad to be in the dead spot so it's KIND OF not important but it definitely exists. Tested in two different games by two different devs. Just wondering if anyone else is running into this or if maybe I got a slightly defective unit?
If you're testing in the button-test configuration mode, at least one other person had the same problem.

I assume you already launched in big picture mode so the firmware updated? Are you opted into the Steam beta? Some beta updates might have improved touchpad dead zones.

Oreoleo

If you're testing in the button-test configuration mode, at least one other person had the same problem.

I assume you already launched in big picture mode so the firmware updated? Are you opted into the Steam beta? Some beta updates might have improved touchpad dead zones.

Yes and yes for updating the firmware and being in BPM. Not sure what you mean by button-test configuration mode though? This happened in Portal 2 where I think the only thing I edited was mouse and haptic feedback sensitivity.

Odrion

Banned
Oh and if it hasn't been mentioned before, Darksiders 2: Deathfinitive Edition seems to have native Steam controller support. Button prompts and everything.

edit: Oh and very interesting: they use the haptic feedback to simulate rumble.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes and yes for updating the firmware and being in BPM. Not sure what you mean by button-test configuration mode though? This happened in Portal 2 where I think the only thing I edited was mouse and haptic feedback sensitivity.
Good, the latest controller firmware is dated November 5 for me by the way. It can be checked with the Big Picture Mode -> cog on top right -> Controller -> Add/Test -> Detected Controllers -> Steam Controller section.

With "Steam Controller" highlighted on that screen, press Y ("Support"). That will bring up a screen with green highlights as you touch controls. Follow the instructions at the top to test most everything, including haptics. I don't think gyro is tested. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

In particular, you can move your thumb around the edge of the pad while on this screen and make sure the dot doesn't go somewhere crazy.

Oreoleo

Good, the latest controller firmware is dated November 5 for me by the way. It can be checked with the Big Picture Mode -> cog on top right -> Controller -> Add/Test -> Detected Controllers -> Steam Controller section.

With "Steam Controller" highlighted on that screen, press Y ("Support"). That will bring up a screen with green highlights as you touch controls. Follow the instructions at the top to test most everything, including haptics. I don't think gyro is tested. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

In particular, you can move your thumb around the edge of the pad while on this screen and make sure the dot doesn't go somewhere crazy.

Ah thats really helpful I would have never found that otherwise. Confirmed my firmware is from Nov 5th.

According to the test screen, if I start from the middle of the pad and move my finger to the edge it seems to mostly be okay and not completely reproducible. If I try to start the input with my finger as close to edge as possible, the controller has a much harder time sensing movement until I move my finger closer to the middle of the pad. This seems to happen around the entire pad and not just on the left side like I initially thought (where it's easier to have your thumb right on the edge of the pad). So it seems like intended behavior to minimize unwanted inputs (maybe if you grazed the pad while hitting Start or Y and B for example). It hasn't happened in normal gameplay except for when I'm specifically testing the limits of the pad so I guess it's okay to ignore for now. Thanks.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know why chat doesn't scroll all the way down in big picture mode? I get the onscreen keyboard, which works, but the last line or two of chat is completely hidden. Here is the big-picture chat with the normal window for comparison:

big_picturegzkrp.png

Exuro

For Wasteland 2 it said:
Well got around to this. For some reason the game doesn't recognize the controller. I went to options and set it to Steam Controller and I'm getting the steam controller prompt to press A but its not doing anything. Hopefully this is fixed soon. Would be cool to try this game out with it.

edit: gonna see if its a steam issue. edit2: nope the controller support in game is borked.

Blizzard

Banned
The native support for Darksiders 2: DE is kinda bad and I don't think there's a way to actually change it. :X
I might have seen some patch notes about a legacy option that lets you customize settings even for native support games. Are you in the beta where you can try that?

Also, I finally tried the gyro, using it in Project CARS. It was pretty cool! Unfortunately, there seems to be some bug where haptics were simulating rumble but rumble stops working very early on in each race.

Aesthet1c

Man this thread is killing me. One day you guys are oozing over the controller, the next day you are all frustrated with it.

I'm looking at picking up either a Steam controller or an Xbox One controller and I'm super torn. Guess I'll just keep holding out and hearing more and more impressions.

Blizzard

Banned
Man this thread is killing me. One day you guys are oozing over the controller, the next day you are all frustrated with it.

I'm looking at picking up either a Steam controller or an Xbox One controller and I'm super torn. Guess I'll just keep holding out and hearing more and more impressions.
What sort of games do you want to play with it, and will you have a mouse and keyboard there anyway?

In my opinion it works best for games where you want to use a mouse but can't, and it's decent with others. If you love the way traditional controllers feel then you might be happier with those. I still have an old 360 wired controller so I get the best of both worlds.

Roshin

Using the controller was not as natural as I expected. There is a learning curve and if you want it, there is a lot of fiddling around to be done. I started using a DS4 instead. I'll come back to the Steam controller later at some point.

Does anyone know why chat doesn't scroll all the way down in big picture mode? I get the onscreen keyboard, which works, but the last line or two of chat is completely hidden. Here is the big-picture chat with the normal window for comparison:

big_picturegzkrp.png

It's been like this for something like two weeks. I've been begging for a fix.

SZips

The two aren't really comparable, IMO, at least not directly. The Steam Controller is like learning to ride a unicycle. You may be an expert on a bicycle (normal controller) but this thing is in a league all its own. There is a big learning and adjustment curve with this and simply trying to use it like a typical 360/One/DualShock controller will lead to some frustration.

If you're willing to almost completely relearn how to use a new control method, definitely go with the Steam Controller. It offers some of the best "best of both worlds" combining the analog style movement of a controller with the aiming and button customization of a keyboard and mouse setup once you get things set up and you adjust to to it all.

Damn I love using this controller for Black Ops 3 with gyro enabled on ironsights. I'm ten times better than I am with a Dualshock 4. My only annoyance was having to dance between the in-game options and Steam overlay to change the controller config to the buttons I wanted. I can't wait till more games have native support for the controller so I don't have to do so much renaming of keys.

And these dual-stage triggers mang. They are gamechangers for stuff you don't really want to take up a full button like Sniper steadying.

Odrion

Banned
When I rest my thumb on the outer edge of the left touchpad, the controller gets fucked up and starts thinking I'm hitting various directional buttons and freaks out. Is this a sign of a defective controller?

Blizzard

Banned
When I rest my thumb on the outer edge of the left touchpad, the controller gets fucked up and starts thinking I'm hitting various directional buttons and freaks out. Is this a sign of a defective controller?
Try using the test screen:

If the dot goes all over the place when you put your thumb there, and you have the November 5 controller firmware, then you probably want to email the support address in the OP and ask about getting it replaced.

Nzyme32

My setup is very similar to yours, except I have the B button as reload as I find that a handy button to push and it still leaves the LB and RB free. LB is sprint and RB is grav gun/last weapon , gyro and trackball and left stick click zoom.

Not sure if you mistyped your setting but I always prefer RT to be left mouse and LT to be right mouse.

Yeah I mistyped. I prefered rb as reload probably because of the old gears of war days. I do sometimes switch rb to use and right pad click to reload too.

deadfolk

Oh and if it hasn't been mentioned before, Darksiders 2: Deathfinitive Edition seems to have native Steam controller support. Button prompts and everything.

edit: Oh and very interesting: they use the haptic feedback to simulate rumble.

Wow! Let's hope this sets a precedent. Bethesda, I'm looking at you.

Aesthet1c

What sort of games do you want to play with it, and will you have a mouse and keyboard there anyway?

In my opinion it works best for games where you want to use a mouse but can't, and it's decent with others. If you love the way traditional controllers feel then you might be happier with those. I still have an old 360 wired controller so I get the best of both worlds.

Using the controller was not as natural as I expected. There is a learning curve and if you want it, there is a lot of fiddling around to be done. I started using a DS4 instead. I'll come back to the Steam controller later at some point.

The two aren't really comparable, IMO, at least not directly. The Steam Controller is like learning to ride a unicycle. You may be an expert on a bicycle (normal controller) but this thing is in a league all its own. There is a big learning and adjustment curve with this and simply trying to use it like a typical 360/One/DualShock controller will lead to some frustration.

If you're willing to almost completely relearn how to use a new control method, definitely go with the Steam Controller. It offers some of the best "best of both worlds" combining the analog style movement of a controller with the aiming and button customization of a keyboard and mouse setup once you get things set up and you adjust to to it all.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Right now I use a DS4 that I share with my PS4 and I'm looking for a dedicated pc controller to replace that. I don't plan to stop using mouse and keyboard for fps games and things like Dota. I just want a good controller that I can use to play games like The Witcher, Batman, MGS, etc.

Crayon

I started playing pillars of eternity and i've started to use both touch pads for a mouse. the game doesnt need many hotkeys and having mouse on both touchpads has relieved my right thumb from pushing the cursor around constantly. It was very easy to get used to as well.

Nzyme32

Valve have finally sent out my replacement controller via priority mail, so it gets here within a few days, then I can finally get back to using dual mouse and a dpad that doesn't randomly freak out at the outer-most areas.

Did they remove or move mouse smoothing? Doesn't seem to be where I remember it being.

It's still in the advanced settings of the mouse section

Thanks for the feedback guys. Right now I use a DS4 that I share with my PS4 and I'm looking for a dedicated pc controller to replace that. I don't plan to stop using mouse and keyboard for fps games and things like Dota. I just want a good controller that I can use to play games like The Witcher, Batman, MGS, etc.

Personally I'm now using the Steam controller as my default controller for everything, with the exception of fast RTS / MOBA, although I have no problem with Starcraft 2's campaign on hard thus far - only a little slower. Works brilliantly for MGS V using the mouse-joystick mode that gives you mouse-like movement eventhough the output is an analogue stick (I would have ideally switched to mouse + gamepad or kb + mouse, but MGS doesn't do the prior simultaneously and has poor controls and bugs for the latter). I haven't messed with other third person games other than dark souls which works great. I've heard Witcher 3 works brilliantly too. All that being said, if you don't care for the advantages of a mouse in those situations, and only use a controller for third person / consoley games, it might not be worth the takling the learning curve of the Steam Controller, when the DS4 does those games well enough anyway

I wish the controller had touch button capabilities for the d-pad like a smartphone. I would prefer to touch the direction to activate the input instead of having to click it all the way in.

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind you CAN do that. Great controller!

Nzyme32

I wish the controller had touch button capabilities for the d-pad like a smartphone. I would prefer to touch the direction to activate the input instead of having to click it all the way in.

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind you CAN do that. Great controller!

I was about to say, it's pretty awesome. Throw that in with mode shifting with the grips, and it has some fantastic flexibility. Only complaint I have is that I want more customisations for the formation the buttons take.

This controller looks intriguing. I even sold my Xbox controller in anticipation for it (by the way, I'm shocked at how much I was able to get for it, $30).

My only real beefs and I'm sure this had been said in this thread many times already is the placement of the analog stick and the face buttons.

Red

Anyone tried the Steam controller with Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? It seems to randomly double-press the selection button so that when you try to select a module, you end up both selecting that module and performing the first available action. This makes all bombs more difficult, if not impossible.

(turbo is not active.)

welly_59

Neo Member
Delivery day is meant to be tomorrow but my controller hasn't arrived in the UK yet.....last update was on Saturday that it was leaving the netherlands

Top Bottom