• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Oreoleo

Anyone tried Geometry Wars Dimensions Evolved with this controller?

I just gave it a quick whirl for ya. I've only tried 3 or 4 games with the controller up to now but this one actually felt the most natural so far. I got along fine with it in HL2 for example, but even after 20-30 minutes I was still aware I was using a new controller and feeling like I was "learning" how to use it and developing new muscle memory for the bindings, but here there wasn't really any of that. Obviously it feels different without the 2nd stick but there wasn't any real cognitive disconnect between me and the controller with Geometry Wars. I was definitely a little bit worse than I am with a dual analog controller but I'm attributing that more to the fact that I've only used the controller for a couple hours so far since I only received it like 36 hours ago. Truthfully my takeaway from that short 10 minutes was that it would be entirely possible to be better at the game with the Steam controller than a dual analog just due to having more precise aim. And this was with the right pad in joystick mode.

I just gave it a quick whirl for ya. I've only tried 3 or 4 games with the controller up to now but this one actually felt the most natural so far. I got along fine with it in HL2 for example, but even after 20-30 minutes I was still aware I was using a new controller and feeling like I was "learning" how to use it and developing new muscle memory for the bindings, but here there wasn't really any of that. Obviously it feels different without the 2nd stick but there wasn't any real cognitive disconnect between me and the controller with Geometry Wars. I was definitely a little bit worse than I am with a dual analog controller but I'm attributing that more to the fact that I've only used the controller for a couple hours so far since I only received it like 36 hours ago. Truthfully my takeaway from that short 10 minutes was that it would be entirely possible to be better at the game with the Steam controller than a dual analog just due to having more precise aim. And this was with the right pad in joystick mode.

I was hoping for this to be the case, thanks... I need to get this controller soon!

Yudoken

The Steam controller is fantastic in gamepad x mouse mode if it's possible.
Sadly games sometimes don't allow simulatouns gamepad and mouse control an constantly change icons when using that mode (e.g. MGS).
Otherwise it's really good!
But honestly I would really advise everyone interested in the pad to wait for at least the 2nd version which hopefully fixes stuff like the bad placed and cheap buttons.

Nzyme32

Sadly games sometimes don't allow simulatouns gamepad and mouse control an constantly change icons when using that mode (e.g. MGS).
But honestly I would really advise everyone interested in the pad to wait for at least the 2nd version which hopefully fixes stuff like the bad placed and cheap buttons.

The mouse-joystick has practically solved the issue of games that can't support Mouse and gamepad simultaneously, by having mouse-like (trackball) movement that is output via some clever analogue stick output. The only place this doesn't work perfectly, is the minority of games that don't have camera speed / sensitivity adjustments.

As for the "bad placed and cheap buttons", I can only really agree with the cheap feeling buttons. They are comfortable enough, but do feel on the cheap side. However, button placement is no problem for me at all, and I doubt any future controller iteration will be able to do much better, since the pads definitely need to be where they are. For me, transitioning to the Steam Controller's layout was quite easy since I was very used to the DS3's sticks, and this feels practically the same. I always rest my thumb over the centre of the abxy buttons and roll my thumb where I need to, which didn't take much getting used to on this controller outside the first few hours

deadfolk

Let's not forget the new mouse joystick mode or whatever it's called. It feels like you're using mouse mode, but the game sees it as a joystick. It is intended for those games that don't support mouse and pad simultaneously. Works brilliantly in many cases.

any uk gaf'ers had an update on their shipping today? mine is still:

The parcel has entered the GLS system.

I am in the UK and ordered from Steam. The last update for my order on the parcelforce site is 5/11/15 at 15.33 and says location: GLS. I can't see an expected delivery date anywhere.

Edit: interestingly on the GLS website the last update is from 5/11/15 at 14.00 and says it has left the GLS site.

kazinova

Does anyone else have this weird anxiety reaction when trying to type on the on-screen keyboard with the Steam Controller. I was feeling a very real, rising sensation of stress as I tried to click out a simple sentence. I was seconds from throwing the controller through the nearest window to get it away from me.

Which is weird because with every other function I either like it or understand that it will take time to acclimate to the controller in order to pass judgement.

But I took to the keyboard on my original iPhone quickly, I don't even mind the flower petal input on Big Picture Mode. But this typing input frustrates me so much. I guess it has something to do with thinking I should be good at it and yet not being able to move as quick as I want to. Like I'm rehabbing after surgery or something. Yuck.

Geedorah

I was hoping for this to be the case, thanks... I need to get this controller soon!

Twin-stick shooters are what this controller was MADE for imo. I've tried a ton of different genres - every single TwinStick I play feels like a million bucks.

Putting in so many hours of Binding of Issac

I just realized last night that the conflict between the the Windows 10 Game DVR and Steam's Big Picture Mode is gone with this controller, because at no point does Windows think the Home button is a 360 button.

Does anyone else have this weird anxiety reaction when trying to type on the on-screen keyboard with the Steam Controller. I was feeling a very real, rising sensation of stress as I tried to click out a simple sentence. I was seconds from throwing the controller through the nearest window to get it away from me.

Which is weird because with every other function I either like it or understand that it will take time to acclimate to the controller in order to pass judgement.

But I took to the keyboard on my original iPhone quickly, I don't even mind the flower petal input on Big Picture Mode. But this typing input frustrates me so much. I guess it has something to do with thinking I should be good at it and yet not being able to move as quick as I want to. Like I'm rehabbing after surgery or something. Yuck.

I shrugged it off as just weird. After using one cursor my whole life, using 2 is totally alien to me. I guess you could type faster with it, but I'm not wired that way

Yudoken

Let's not forget the new mouse joystick mode or whatever it's called. It feels like you're using mouse mode, but the game sees it as a joystick. It is intended for those games that don't support mouse and pad simultaneously. Works brilliantly in many cases.

Have to try it out when I have time.
Sounds good!
I'm actually suprised how fast the updates come in.
Valve really doing some great work with Big Picture and Steam Controller.

Nzyme32

Not particularly anxiety, but my immediate feeling was of frustration since I assumed it would be like an android keyboard experience, but since the pads are so much larger and only devoted to half, it took a while to get used to. Now it is practically second nature. No where near phone typing speed purely out of inexperience, but I enjoy typing with it now. It's just getting used to the bigger movements and expectation of having to keep touching the pad, when you don't need to. Now the muscle memory kicks in, since the positions of everything is absolute

Blizzard

Banned
Grow Home just updated today with a crystal finder feature to get the last few crystals. That's nice for me since I hadn't foud them all. They also include Steam Controller support with some recommended configurations.

pmj

The mouse-joystick has practically solved the issue of games that can't support Mouse and gamepad simultaneously, by having mouse-like (trackball) movement that is output via some clever analogue stick output. The only place this doesn't work perfectly, is the minority of games that don't have camera speed / sensitivity adjustments.
Alien Isolation (the Linux version at least) has adjustable camera speed and mouse joystick is completely fucked.

In mouse mode one of the hacking minigames break, so the Steam controller is just about unusable in this game no matter how you configure it. Actually, that's not true. I just hate the regular joystick mode.

Nzyme32

Alien Isolation (the Linux version at least) has adjustable camera speed and mouse joystick is completely fucked.

In mouse mode one of the hacking minigames break, so the Steam controller is just about unusable in this game no matter how you configure it.

In that situation, I'd mode shift to something else since the grips are doing nothing. Also, if you are using the grips for something, you can still mode shift with them, as long as the bound input won't conflict with the particular use - ie the mini game.

Odrion

Banned
Trying to play Lisa with the left touchpad as a d-pad suuuuuuucks. That is one game where accidentally going another left or right means you're dead.

However it's pretty groovy to just plug my laptop into another television and only needing the Steam Controller as my input.

welly_59

Neo Member
I am in the UK and ordered from Steam. The last update for my order on the parcelforce site is 5/11/15 at 15.33 and says location: GLS. I can't see an expected delivery date anywhere.

Edit: interestingly on the GLS website the last update is from 5/11/15 at 14.00 and says it has left the GLS site.

My parcelforce track I mg became active at 17:54. Processed at national hub and on way for tomorrow

Is it called Mouse with High Sensitivity aiming or something like that?
I tried that out on MGSV, but the right touch pad just didn't work at all.

EDIT
No, it's not a part of any of the templates yet. You have to go to the right pad settings and choose the input style as "mouse joystick". You also have to make sure that the game has the sensitivity / camera speed as high as possible for best results
Oh cool, I'll give that a shot later today and see how I like it. I've been dying to play a game with the Steam Controller, but I'm trying to beat Metal Gear and so far I've found the 360 controller the best for it. But if this works I'll gladly shift over to the Steam controller.

Nzyme32

Is it called Mouse with High Sensitivity aiming or something like that?
I tried that out on MGSV, but the right touch pad just didn't work at all.

No, it's not a part of any of the templates yet. You have to go to the right pad settings and choose the input style as "mouse joystick". You also have to make sure that the game has the sensitivity / camera speed as high as possible for best results

Oh cool, I'll give that a shot later today and see how I like it. I've been dying to play a game with the Steam Controller, but I'm trying to beat Metal Gear and so far I've found the 360 controller the best for it. But if this works I'll gladly shift over to the Steam controller.

Yeah. I like the whole mouse / keyboard / gyro thing, but the way MGS V has been set up for mouse and keyboard leaves a whole bunch of bugs that make playing that way a nuicance. Similar to you, I was already playing it a lot with the DS3, and was so used to it that I wanted to finish the game in a way that wouldn't be too much extra stuff to learn. I couldn't really do that till this mouse-joystick thing came along. Due to the wonky way in which the deadzone is set for MGS V, you need to change the mouse-joystick settings in BPM so that the minimum x and y values are a bit higher. Once you do that, it's pretty nice.

Tealmann

pB5RbYS.png

SOON

Tak3n

Banned
if there is anyone who has BO3 and the controller give it a whirl for me... as I could sell my X1 version with Nuketown in the UK for more than I paid for it, and then get the PC version and this controller

but FPS on PC with a controller has never been pretty for me

Any pics?

No but I solved it. Apparently I needed to press pretty firmly to make the back plate pop on properly. It works fine now. God damn this thing has a crazy learning curve at the start. I just won a competitive game of CS:GO and got a few frags, but I ended up with the least kills and while precision aiming for holding specific positions with the gyro was amazing - I had no muscle memory to rely on vs relatively nearby targets and just flung around wildly.

Nabs

if there is anyone who has BO3 and the controller give it a whirl for me... as I could sell my X1 version with Nuketown in the UK for more than I paid for it, and then get the PC version and this controller

Here's a video that was posted the other day:

I had a lot of fun using steam controller in Black Ops 3 last night and I was doing really well every match too. I uploaded my bindings if anyone wants to give it a try too.
https://youtu.be/Xi7BOjzT1ks

Does everyone who pre-ordered from Amazon still have "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date." on their Amazon order page? I pre-ordered mine a little late and I'm just wondering if this has changed for anyone yet.

Strange that it comes out tomorrow and Amazon still has no idea when they might ship, I would rather not try and go out and find one at a Gamestop this week.

xAlias

Does everyone who pre-ordered from Amazon still have "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date." on their Amazon order page? I pre-ordered mine a little late and I'm just wondering if this has changed for anyone yet.

Strange that it comes out tomorrow and Amazon still has no idea when they might ship, I would rather not try and go out and find one at a Gamestop this week.

Amazon shows an expected delivery date of Dec 22nd for me. Maybe that is a placeholder delivery date as the main order page still shows what you just mentioned.

kazinova

I tried the controller with DiRT Rally and Civ Beyond Earth. Civ presents the clearest argument for the Steam Controller by far, but it's still not as comfortable as a mouse, even if I had to use said mouse on the couch next to me.

Taborcarn

I played some Shadowrun: Dragonfall with the controller last night and it felt very natural. That's a game I never really used the hotkeys with before, just the mouse so it wasn't much of a transition. Just using the left stick to scroll around the map felt like a nice improvement.

Glad people are trying all kinds of games out and reporting back to this thread. It's going to help immensely when I recieve my controller this week. GameStop just sent me a notice that it shipped and will be here by the end of the day on Wednesday. I can't wait to try this sucker out!

Decado

I played some Shadowrun: Dragonfall with the controller last night and it felt very natural. That's a game I never really used the hotkeys with before, just the mouse so it wasn't much of a transition. Just using the left stick to scroll around the map felt like a nice improvement.
Nice! That is one of the games I want to use it with.

I can pick mine up tonight but have to brave the halo and fo4 crowds.

I think I'll wait until tomorrow.

I think I just had my "holy shit, I love this controller moment" after a while of not liking the controller I was just playing some Zombie Army Trilogy. I had it on controller and mouse mode and the accuracy was near mouse levels with the comfort of a controller. I was shocked at how good I was able to aim with it. I might be able to play some first person games with this bad boy. I'm going to be playing Fallout 4 with this thing tomorrow morning and hopefully I'll have a great experience with it.

Shawsie64

Banned

I have RSI in my wrist and using a mouse is difficult, only option until now was a Xbox One controller and yeah, its not pretty.. M/KB users wipe the floor with me.

That said, I've been playing BO3 exclusively with the Steam Controller, I'm doing really well! Though my reflexes are just not what they used to be against the younger guys.. Overall though I feel as competent as M/KB users.

I have mine setup in WASD mode with minor gyro correction setup to trigger on right track pad press.

You wont go 50-1 in your first game but man oh man when you put in practice, tweak your settings and get everything flowing it feels amazing with the Steam Controller!

Incidentally I played a bit of Halo 5 with my daughter after a week with the Steam Controller and it feels like moving through molasses, so slow and inaccurate even with the aim assist the game has.

Anyone try fo4 yet?

I'm keen for impressions as I wont be able to play until later..

My hands are way too big for this controller and I'm experiencing immense amounts of fatigue, especially in setups where I have to press down on the trackpads. That said, I am getting a hang on it and while I wouldn't exactly play it on Hardcore mode with the controller yet, Torchlight 2 is feeling pretty enjoyable.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
My hands are way too big for this controller and I'm experiencing immense amounts of fatigue, especially in setups where I have to press down on the trackpads. That said, I am getting a hang on it and while I wouldn't exactly play it on Hardcore mode with the controller yet, Torchlight 2 is feeling pretty enjoyable.

A lot of people thought the controller was too big in general. Out of curiosity, what controller do you prefer (from a comfort standpoint)?

Anyone have any interesting Fallout 4 configurations yet? I've been playing with kbm but I think I'm going to start working on a configuration now. I'd be interested to hear what you guys are putting together.

A lot of people thought the controller was too big in general. Out of curiosity, what controller do you prefer (from a comfort standpoint)?

I have probably the biggest hands this side of Shaq so it's probably an extreme case. I think there are just some muscles that I've pretty much never used before and its already getting a bit better over time. The DS3 is the only controller I have zero issues with. I also think the DS4 and especially the Wii U Pro/Gamepad are ridiculously tiny.

At least on the Steam Controller I can hit both the triggers and the bumpers at the same time, but I think the forced angle gets a bit exaggerated for me since I'd otherwise have to place my thumbs north of the trackpads if I angled them like I assume most people do.

beta update

Fixed detection of controllers in the Settings panels when streaming from a Steam Link device
Fixed game action set legacy bindings not working past the first preset
Fixed a bug where mode-shifted analog sticks could lose input.

I'm struggling a bit with setting up aiming in Fallout 4. Anyone had any luck? It's aiming down sights that feels the most weird using joystick as mouse.

Shawsie64

Banned
I'm struggling a bit with setting up aiming in Fallout 4. Anyone had any luck? It's aiming down sights that feels the most weird using joystick as mouse.

Have you tried using WASD /Mouse mode? My copy is still installing but that's what I intend to try. Also the mouse aiming by default is messed up apparently, someone posted a fix:

You can fix it easily. Go to the ini files in the documents folder and in one of them under Controls you'll see two settings related to mouse movement, simply double the value of the Y axis and save the ini.
Quoting for visibility, thanks.

Fallout4.ini

My settings if you want to copy-pasta.

[Controls]
bMouseAcceleration=0
fMouseHeadingXScale=.020
fMouseHeadingYScale=.040

Just received a notification that I have a post package ready to be picked up! It has to be the link+controller! Yey!

EU / FIN

Awwwww! Man! Such a dissappointment! I only got the controller! :F
I thought I'll get both link and controller..
Does anyone know wheter they are sending out the links later or have they just screwed up my order?!

edit: ok so they have sent me two different packages.. and the other is still being processed at my end... sigh of relief, for now.. let's see if I can get today :)

edit: so the post screwed them up.. it arrives tommorow.. :F

Covfan

Got my Steam Link today, very impressed with itit, fancied picking up a controller and it looks like Game have got the exclusive on it in the UK. (retail)

Nzyme32

Can I ask some of you guys to do a little test for me.

Set the left pad to be the mouse in any game, then test to see if the bottom left outer edge of the trackpad loses detection between around 7 to 10 'o clock. I have found this on two different controllers, identically, so we believe it is some sort of software bug, but it would be interesting to verify this with others

On the plus side, my new controller has fixed the crazy dpad jitteryness that happened at random and deadzone alignement, so it must have been a hardware issue - managing to do really well in Mushimesama and got my first A rank on the first level of Ikaruga. Not quite up to my S rank standard but getting there.

laxu

Awwwww! Man! Such a dissappointment! I only got the controller! :F
I thought I'll get both link and controller..
Does anyone know wheter they are sending out the links later or have they just screwed up my order?!

edit: ok so they have sent me two different packages.. and the other is still being processed at my end... sigh of relief, for now.. let's see if I can get today :)

edit: so the post screwed them up.. it arrives tommorow.. :F

Finnish post office fucks up again, as usual.

That said, would it be possible to have some other thread for shipping/ordering stuff as it just clutters this one and provides zero value to those who already got their controller?

Top Bottom