• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Stryder

here are the streams

http://www.twitch.tv/thedarkally/v/24980681
http://www.twitch.tv/thedarkally/v/24991366

game doesn't support gamepad + mouse simultaneously
Thanks for this, my steam controller just arrived and I'll be looking to get straight into playing fallout 4 with it.
Any idea whereabouts in his fallout video he goes over configuring it? It's 8 hours long.. I guess I could wait for his video he mentions in his tweet.

What is the significance of the tweet you just posted below? Linking to https://steamdb.info/depot/220216/ ?

Taborcarn

Thanks for this, my steam controller just arrived and I'll be looking to get straight into playing fallout 4 with it.
Any idea whereabouts in his fallout video he goes over configuring it? It's 8 hours long.. I guess I could wait for his video he mentions in his tweet.

He starts doing Fallout 4 controller configure about 8 minutes into that first link, even though the Twitch description says Rocket League.

Nete

Just received mine. The first impression on the thing once it was on my hands was a bit "WTF is this". Is really hard to realize how really is and feels until you grab it.

Haven't tested it yet besides using it as Windows mouse for the last half hour or so. Not bad at all, even with what looks like a crappy default config.

No sign of my extra Rocket League. Fuck you, Game Spain.

Pachimari

Oh my god! Postman just delivered my Steam controller. I didn't expect it until in 1-2 weeks.

[edit]
Tried it in GTA V and I have no idea how to use it, or remap buttons. I'm clicking the Steam button in the middle but nothing happens.

My first impression of the controller is really positive though. I thought I would have to get used to the design and how to rest my palms on it, but it feels natural, and I have no trouble at all reaching all buttons, including the coloured ones.

laxu

Tried it in GTA V and I have no idea how to use it, or remap buttons. I'm clicking the Steam button in the middle but nothing happens.

You need to put Steam in Big Picture mode and then launch the game from there. Then you can configure the controller. If you have the Rockstar Social Club version of GTA V like I do then you need to add PlayGtaV.exe to Steam as a Steam shortcut.

Denton

My controller arrived today alongside retail PC copy of Fallout 4, cute.

I updated firmware, tried out Witcher 3 without setting anything whatsoever and could not move. Could move the camera! :D
I suppose it will take some setting up. Anyone tried it with F4 ? Is it good for it, any good presets ?

edit - just read the posts above, me, ok ok :D

Nzyme32

Someone might have to make a thread on this article from Engadget. It demonstrates that given the chance, the Steam Controller can be fantastic and chosen over a traditional pad with ease, even for someone who had poor first impressions - but the learning curve, low initial impressions and fear of change due to that challenge, are unlikely to be overcome. Ultimately, for the people that do really give the controller a chance, they are in for a treat

At some point, something clicked -- I had more control over the games I was playing than I ever did with a traditional gamepad. My thumb's quick flicks and the subtle aiming motions I employed to the controller's gyro sensor felt natural and nuanced. I felt more immersed, I realized, and I was having more fun. It's true, sometimes I had to dive back into Steam's controller menu to build a new profile or tweak settings (in fact, the best configurations are custom-made), but I finally understood why Valve was so confident in its bold, defiant gamepad. It's a better gamepad experience for me. I just had to master the device's core competencies to enable it.

I rushed to tell friends, peers and the internet of how I grew to love the Steam Controller, but soon learned I was a heretic. "The gamepad doesn't need to be fixed," I was told again -- and the suggestion anybody would ever choose a Steam Controller over the mouse and keyboard, even for casual use, is a statement so outrageous, it's almost offensive. How dare I challenge the status quo? How dare I accuse my friends of being afraid of change? How dare I suggest one learn how to use a radical new control device before passing judgement on it? I was rejected as an extremist, unable to see past his own dogma. I almost gave up.

For a long while, I was angry at the gaming community for being closed-minded; furious that what I saw as a "fear of change" was keeping a fantastic evolution in controller design from flourishing. Eventually, I realized my folly: It took me endless days and weeks to overcome my own first impression of the bizarre controller, but here I was trying to impart its potential on others in a matter of moments. Hadn't I already learned that it couldn't be appreciated without training? Again, I was reminded of learning how to type on a DVORAK alternative keyboard. It's impossible to understand its potential without having first learned to speak its language: I'm gaming at 60 words per minute on the Steam Controller; everyone I'm showing it to is under 15.

Pachimari

You need to put Steam in Big Picture mode and then launch the game from there. Then you can configure the controller. If you have the Rockstar Social Club version of GTA V like I do then you need to add PlayGtaV.exe to Steam as a Steam shortcut.

I already did start up in BPM and launched it from there. But I didn't know I had to make a shortcut. Thanks for helping me out! :)

Where is that PlayGTAV.exe?
I only see a GTA5.exe and GTAVLauncher.exe.

Nzyme32

What is the significance of the tweet you just posted below? Linking to https://steamdb.info/depot/220216/ ?

6wQB8AR.png

Nabs

I had a few minutes to mess around in Blops 2 MP (bots) and the one game that will make or break this thing: Street Fighter 4.

First off, I love the haptic pads. While it's definitely going to take some time to get used to, I can already see the potential. In Blops, I had the left pad set to WASD touch, and then I set click to Shift (Run). It clicked with me immediately. Sliding my finger across the pad to control my movement felt natural. I'm still getting used to aiming, but I can already see it being my go to for Single Player FPS games. I'm excited to give a 3rd person title a shot.

I only got a few minutes in SF, but I did a similar thing with the left pad. I had it set to d-pad touch so I could make the motions needed to throw fireballs and uppercuts. It's surprisingly smooth. This thing won't replace my arcade stick, but neither will my DS4. I'm just so happy it's working exactly how I pictured it years ago. I could see people doing fine with the controller with a little bit of practice.

The only negative would be the bumpers. I'm not really a fan. I'm liking everything else so far.

Randam

When use the controller with cod, it won't ad aim assist, will it?

I suck with mouse and keyboard and pad is to slow, so I'm thinking about trying the steam controller.

That Engadget article rings true. Hopefully as more and more people learn to configure it and Valve does a better job of pointing people in the right direction when ti comes to custom configs this thing will get hyped up to all hell. The potential is insane but the bar for entry is set way too high for casual to intermediate users. As a complete nerd I find it fascinating and don't mind setting up a custom config from scratch for every game I play (in fact, that ends up being half the fun of using it for me) but I'm sure it will scare away most people who'd rather just have it work. Still, that's a software issue and I'm sure Valve will put the work in soon enough.

dsk1210

It's the dark souls of controllers, at some point it just all clicks.

I have never enjoyed Half Life 2 as much as I have with this controller.

Still not had to change the batteries after a ridiculous amount of use.

Pachimari

I'm frustrated that the button configuration won't come up when I press the Steam button either in The Witcher III or Metal Gear Solid V. Am I doing something wrong?

Ivan

It's the dark souls of controllers, at some point it just all clicks.

I have never enjoyed Half Life 2 as much as I have with this controller.

Still not had to change the batteries after a ridiculous amount of use.

Any good HL2 videos? Can't find any, people just play like on any other controller without any settings :/

dsk1210

Any good HL2 videos? Can't find any, people just play like on any other controller without any settings :/

Sorry man, I have not recorded any videos yet.

I really should because so many people don't seem to take advantage of the controller properly.

I will make my bindings available under the user name dsk1210 on half life 2 update if you wish.

B4s5C

Sorry man, I have not recorded any videos yet.

I really should because so many people don't seem to take advantage of the controller properly.

I will make my bindings available under the user name dsk1210 on half life 2 update if you wish.

Hey, I would appreciate that. I have a friend who is a big HL fan so I know he will be interested in seeing how the controller works with the game.

Ivan

Thanx, do what you can :).

It's painful to listen to people saying "I'm still getting used to it" while emulating 360 controller in HL2 :(

Nzyme32

This is what I use in the HL2 Update version. It's called HL2 - Best New Features (NOV 2015)

7DfeRlj.png

Works amazingly. All you have to do is make sure you go to the mouse settings in game and make sure mouse sensitivity is at default (3.00) and gamepad is unchecked. Touch menu is so good for weapon switching and frees up all the buttons for extra stuff like quick saving, recall / sending rebels etc. Trackball and gyro is really awesome too. The relaxed hipfire trigger also works really well. Very difficult to accidentally trigger the zoom when you want to go for the secondary fire

Nete

Tested the controller with a couple hours of Rocket League with mutators (not exactly the most comfortable thing to start :p). While I've been unable to set the left trackpad in some way I may like, the weirdest part has actually been using the middle finger on the triggers instead the index 360 style.

I really need to dive into some config guides. Otherwise, I feel like I won't be able to understand how really work most of the options and the possible combos.

Tempted to grab this with Fallout 4 but I'm a little nervous about the learning curve, and I just grabbed the Xbox Elite Controller not that long ago. Any advice?

Well amazon failed me since they didnt send my controller but i went to the gamestop near my school and i got their one and only controller! Shame i wont get rocket league and portal 2 now but at least i got RL on ps4, was just going to give portal 2 to my bro so we could do the co op puzzles that neither of us got around to playing

Pachimari

I can't even move in Metal Gear V. Neither the left touchpad nor the analogue stick moves Snake. Steam menu doesn't pop up when pressing the Steam button as well. And I launched from BPM.

Bizzquik

I'm excited for so many other people to finally have their Steam controller!
Now get out there and make some kick butt controller profiles!!

....Lord knows those of us that got the early batch are tired of doing it all ourselves....

Pachimari

Not even Half Life 2 works probably, and there's no community templates for the game it says...

Games I can't get to work properly
The Witcher III
Metal Gear Solid V

Games I got to work with the Steam controller
Tomb Raider
Half Life 2

kinn

Finally got my replacement pad! Done a quick check and haptic work on both sides! Finally I can spend some time with this baby. I've missed using it for Web browsing.

Top Bottom