• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Waveset

Mine arrived today.

Initially not impressed with materials and build quality but after using it for a short while and tinkering with a games setup, this is a device I could really get in to.

Only took me a short while to take a game with partial controller support and make it fully controller compatible with the Steam Link. Ability to behave like a mouse in menus is great.

I really can't wait to dive further into it and see how it behaves controlling a computer OS.

Shawsie64

Banned
One thing that's confusing me is when people like Woodsie says they will post a config does it mean on the Steam community profiles? How do I search for configs people like him have made?

Foxyone

Dunno why, but binding ctrl+alt+delete doesn't seem to want to work. Is that just a thing that won't work?

Also, what's the best way to quickly get out of BPM and to the desktop with the controller?

Crayon

One thing that's confusing me is when people like Woodsie says they will post a config does it mean on the Steam community profiles? How do I search for configs people like him have made?

When you go into the main controller config screen, you can press x to load a profile. From there, community profiles is an option.

I've noticed that BPM + Steam controller + launchers don't play nice

first wow, and now fallout 4.

Any trick to this? Any time I try to run the actually .exe, the launcher starts anyway.

Nabs

My DS4 feels so weak now. I thought the transition to the Steam Controller was supposed to be the tough one.

Shawsie64

Banned
When you go into the main controller config screen, you can press x to load a profile. From there, community profiles is an option.

Yeah I have used a lot of profiles from there was just wondering if there was a better way to search via someones Steam name as opposed to scrolling through the entire thing?

My DS4 feels so weak now. I thought the transition to the Steam Controller was supposed to be the tough one.

I tried to play Halo 5 after a week of using the Steam Controller. The analog sticks felt so slow and inaccurate it was kinda crazy.

Played Hard Reset for a while. Whole thing felt very natural, after a while I realised what I was doing and that it would be impossible to be this fast/accurate with a normal controller.

Bioshock infinite, eh well I don't like how this game feels with a mouse/keyboard and the steam controller couldn't save it.

Ethan Carter Redux, weird framerate issue when combining gamepad and mouse, mouse joystick solves that. Do other UE4 games do this as well?

Nzyme32

I swear a few hours ago Talos Principle didn't have native controller support, but now it does, and the controller seemed to completely screw up till I went to BPM to find it chose the native support yet had no buttons mapped. Going to the binding selection and reselecting it fixed the issue.

Annoying thing is, I really liked the community bindings, but this has the advantage of proper analogue movement support. Guess I'll have to make a hybrid

Edit: scratch that, it is actually broken. All community bindings don't work and just show blank bindings separated into the sections of fps controls and menu controls. Not sure what happened. At least altering the native binding is absurdly simple, as it is all done by choosing actions

Shawsie64

Banned
Played Hard Reset for a while. Whole thing felt very natural, after a while I realised what I was doing and that it would be impossible to be this fast/accurate with a normal controller.

Bioshock infinite, eh well I don't like how this game feels with a mouse/keyboard and the steam controller couldn't save it.

Ethan Carter Redux, weird framerate issue when combining gamepad and mouse, mouse joystick solves that. Do other UE4 games do this as well?

I agree.. Don't know if its just me but allot of console ports these days just feel horrid with mouse and keyboard and it comes through when using the Steam Controller also

Got my controller today and have been messing around with it all day. There's definitely a learning curve, but it's not too bad for me as I'm used to gaming with a trackball. The amount of possibilities and degree of customization to this controller is truly staggering. For a long time I wanted Valve to just release a controller with a real trackball on it and call it a day, but I now see the light and completely understand what they meant about the flexibility provided by touchpads on the software side of things.

Games so far I've found to be tons of fun:
Audiosurf 2 - The gyro controls are soooo good here. I uploaded my bindings on Steam if anyone wants to try, username is the same as on here.
Shatter - Great game made amazing by this controller. The one community binding said that it makes the game feel like it's made for the controller, and I'm inclined to agree wholeheartedly.
Portal 2 - There's a reason Valve threw this game at you for ordering the controller. I really hope that more devs start adding native SC support to their games.

Nete

Any trick to this? Any time I try to run the actually .exe, the launcher starts anyway.

I don't know how it's on Fallout 4 as I don't have it and I don't have WoW installed, but usually there is a way to bypass the launcher and start just the game.

For Starcraft 2, for instance, I need to link StarCraft II\Support64\SC2Switcher_x64.exe instead the regular .exe. With that, the game launches without the launcher and I have Steam overlay. The only con, I need to manually log in each time. WoW should have a similar file.

There are other methods for Origin games and so.

Shawsie64

Banned

When I click launch on Fallout 4 the launcher does indeed come up, I just click play with my Steam controller..?

Checking out the last few pages, don't see anything on Fallout. Any thoughts on Fallout 4 settings?

Feels pretty good so far! Had to turn off mouse acceleration though. Didn't have time to do a proper config as was late when it finished installing for me. Using WASD/Mouse mode.

Nzyme32

Upon further inspection, seems croteam just broke Talos Principle by trying to implement the native support. The controller doesn't work in either beta or normal versions. Guess I'm not messing with that today

Gattsu25

Banned
Does it say out for delivery? I've gotten UPS deliveries later than this in the past.
I leave a signed note on my door telling them to drop off the package and they never do.

They won't drop off the package at the door and will sometimes leave a note saying that they attempted delivery. If they do leave a note, I'll sign it indicating that they can drop off the package but there's no telling that they ever even see that because, without fail, they will not deliver it the second day either.

On the second missed delivery day, I will call them up and tell them not the attempt a third and then drive up to their fulfillment center to pick it up before they close which will again be a hassle that will take over 20 min meaning that I need to leave work over an hour early to make time for the drive + the hassle.

That, of course, is if they even attempt a third deliver and don't immediately ship it back to valve after the second...which occurs around 30% of the time.

I don't have any these problems with UPS or USPS. Only FedEx.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
There is a mouse smoothing slider in the advanced settings that should help get rid of the jitter.

Thanks for the hint, will experiment with that.

Fucking FedEx never fucking delivers my fucking packages.

Fucking fucking hell do they suck.

Unreliable delivery services. Uniting us gadget nerds in our fury all over the world.

Eusis

First impressions are that while it'd take some adjusting it could easily render second sticks obsolete.

And perhaps be a case where I DON'T want to invert Y. Anyone normally invert Y but not doing so here?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
japbcvpavbzau9dbuaxf.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The sound when I turn on the controller reminds me of the sound you would hear when the Nintendo logo appeared after booting a SNES Nintendo game.

I like that.

Crayon

First impressions are that while it'd take some adjusting it could easily render second sticks obsolete.

And perhaps be a case where I DON'T want to invert Y. Anyone normally invert Y but not doing so here?

I felt like I could switch to non-inverted preference, but I started inverting for no good reason except that I always preferred it and now I'm ruined for life. Again.

So I finally got mine in tooday, been messing around with it in Tabletop Simulator to get a gauge on how customizing the controls work and feel my way around the touchpads. Overall pleased, can definitely see the potential but it'll take some getting used to (especially just the layout in general, I'm not so sure handles curving in instead of out was such a good idea). A little disappointed in the haptics, I was lead to believe that it was this super precise location based rumble on each of the pads but it's just a really tiny but still precise general rumble. A step up from anything I've tried, sure, but not quite the "wow" factor that everyone played it up as. I've also noticed to glitching when trying to customize controls in TTS specifically. I think it has to do with the game having native Steam Controller support now, and attempts to change the bindings to something custom made don't always take effect (or at least take a few seconds to update) and it'll get stuck with either no controls or TTS's default Steam Controller configuration. Hopefully it's just a software/api issue.

I recall someone earlier in the thread posting a Guild Wars 2 setup with the new touch menu function but I can't seem to find it. Is that wonderful poster still reading or does someone have a link to said post? I'd appreciate it.

Hylian7

I got mine in today as well. Been playing it with Fallout for a few hours now. So far, I like it. Aiming with the touchpad takes a bit of getting used to. I'm using the top rated community configuration for it. The haptic feedback is actually really useful for what's just a touchpad, gives you a nice feedback to whatever you are using it for. Also for some reason, I keep hitting Y when I'm trying to hit X, but I'm sure that will just be me adjusting with time.

Only real gripe I have though, is I wish they would have a non-Big Picture mode option to access the configurations for it. Sometimes I do play using streaming to my living room PC, but more often I play at my desk, and don't really want to use BP then.

Other than that though, I really like this controller. I honestly think a lot of people don't understand what it's for and are missing out as a result. I feel like most games are playable with this thing, short of stuff like Dota 2 of course.

Mechazawa

Still getting my footing with the controller.

I really wish you didn't need to use Big Picture Mode to get full functionality though. I hope Valve has the good sense to make all the controller functions possible through desktop mode.

I got mine in today as well. Been playing it with Fallout for a few hours now. So far, I like it. Aiming with the touchpad takes a bit of getting used to. I'm using the top rated community configuration for it. The haptic feedback is actually really useful for what's just a touchpad, gives you a nice feedback to whatever you are using it for. Also for some reason, I keep hitting Y when I'm trying to hit X, but I'm sure that will just be me adjusting with time.

Only real gripe I have though, is I wish they would have a non-Big Picture mode option to access the configurations for it. Sometimes I do play using streaming to my living room PC, but more often I play at my desk, and don't really want to use BP then.

Other than that though, I really like this controller. I honestly think a lot of people don't understand what it's for and are missing out as a result. I feel like most games are playable with this thing, short of stuff like Dota 2 of course.

Eh you should try Dota. It takes some getting used to but I've won several games no problem. Only thing I haven't solved yet is multi unit selection which can end up being tricky, so I'd stear clear of Meepo etc unless you make a config specifically for those heroes.

On another note, native Warframe support is super broken and needs fixing by the developers. Still, interesting proof of concept. There are some crazy options in there that you do not see in other games.

Hylian7

Eh you should try Dota. It takes some getting used to but I've won several games no problem. Only thing I haven't solved yet is multi unit selection which can end up being tricky, so I'd stear clear of Meepo etc unless you make a config specifically for those heroes.

On another note, native Warframe support is super broken and needs fixing by the developers. Still, interesting proof of concept. There are some crazy options in there that you do not see in other games.

I'd have to come up with a configuration specifically tailored to myself, as I have some weird things I use when I play Dota normally that I can't really live without. I tried one of the community configurations on there and the first thing that bothered me was there was no way to level skills other than clicking the level up button. On a traditional setup, I'm used to hitting O to level up. On top of that, I have two of my mouse buttons dedicated to jump the camera to the rune spots, I'd need a hero select, or at the very least a recenter button. I feel like there'd be a lot of heroes it would restrict me from playing too. Off the top of my head, these are some of my favorite heroes that I probably wouldn't be able to play with the Steam controller.

Spectre (Manta, quickly jumping to illusions multiple times during haunts)
Tinker (All the item buttons and speed required, basically takes re-learning everything since I'm not used to it at all)
Storm Spirit (lots of fast actions, Zip > Hit > Spell > Hit > Zip, etc.)
Invoker (fast actions in tandem with items)

I'd also be worried about purchasing Manta, Necronomicon, or playing anything with multiple units. You mentioned Meepo, but there's also stuff like Nature's Prophet, Enigma, Invoker, etc.

Got my controller in today. So far... it seems okay. It really irritates me that I have to use Big Picture mode to use the controller fully. Massive turn-off for me.

I'd have to come up with a configuration specifically tailored to myself, as I have some weird things I use when I play Dota normally that I can't really live without. I tried one of the community configurations on there and the first thing that bothered me was there was no way to level skills other than clicking the level up button. On a traditional setup, I'm used to hitting O to level up. On top of that, I have two of my mouse buttons dedicated to jump the camera to the rune spots, I'd need a hero select, or at the very least a recenter button. I feel like there'd be a lot of heroes it would restrict me from playing too. Off the top of my head, these are some of my favorite heroes that I probably wouldn't be able to play with the Steam controller.

Spectre (Manta, quickly jumping to illusions multiple times during haunts)
Tinker (All the item buttons and speed required, basically takes re-learning everything since I'm not used to it at all)
Storm Spirit (lots of fast actions, Zip > Hit > Spell > Hit > Zip, etc.)
Invoker (fast actions in tandem with items)

I'd also be worried about purchasing Manta, Necronomicon, or playing anything with multiple units. You mentioned Meepo, but there's also stuff like Nature's Prophet, Enigma, Invoker, etc.

Oh I wouldn't bother with the community binds for any game with the Steam Controller. The good news is that it took me about 10 minutes to do my own Dota 2 setup. I ended up tweaking it a bit during downtime in game and by the end of my first match it felt pretty solid.

Edit: I don't mind starting out with a community config but I always end up changing a bunch of stuff, especially relating to the gyro.

Hylian7

Oh I wouldn't bother with the community binds for any game with the Steam Controller. The good news is that it took me about 10 minutes to do my own Dota 2 setup. I ended up tweaking it a bit during downtime in game and by the end of my first match it felt pretty solid.

Ehh, I wouldn't say that. The most popular bind for Fallout 4 works pretty well and I'm happy with it.

XBP

Got the controller and tried a few games. It was awful playing online shooters (tried CSGO and BFBC2) but fairly decent with rocket league. I've only had it for a couple of hours so cant really judge it properly but I feel that I'll never get used to first person shooters using this thing. Its also a shame that Valve's own games are not natively supported by the controller and you need BP mode to use basic functionality.

By the way, in CSGO, for some reason I'm not able to apply any of the community bindings to the controller. If I choose any bindings, none of the buttons end up binding to a key and I see a blank layout. Anyone else have this issue?

Veal

FINALLY got mine. I have to say, having finally held the controller for myself, some of the complaints I'm reading sounds like some of the most nit picky, non deal breaking complaints turned into a big deal. Without a doubt, this controller will take some getting used to and I understand some of the frustrations levied at the controller. That said, I've had a mostly positive first experience.

Nights: Into Dreams plays incredibly well with the controller. Using a community binding, this is what I imagined Sega wanted the original release to feel like. Simple and effortless!

Space Channel 5 Part 2 worked really well too. It surprised me because I've had a ton of trouble trying to get the game to work consistently with controllers from the jump. Steam controller handles the inputs like a champ!

Jet Set Radio. Getting the camera controls wrangled will be the hardest part of configuring this game. While I appreciate the free cam they added to the new port, it didn't work that well with regular controllers either. And honestly, you really don't need the free cam anyway. The real revelation is mapping the right trigger for soft pull speed boost and hard pull to jump. Game changer for me as far as I'm concerned!

Noitu Love 2. Couldn't get it to work right. I saw kreej's binding but couldn't get it to stick. Biggest disappointment so far.

Jamestown. Fluid and effortless. Shmups should be awesome with this, though you'll need to lift your thumb away from the track pad when not using click to activate.

Killer is Dead. Plays alright but big picture mode absolutely KILLS performance on my machine. Same thing with MGSV. The sooner the steam controller's dependence on big picture mode is lessened, the better in my opinion.

That's all I had time for but I'm definitely looking forward to putting more time in! Commandos, Planescape and some emulators are up next for me!

hollams

Gold Member

And perhaps be a case where I DON'T want to invert Y. Anyone normally invert Y but not doing so here?[/QUOTE

With the mouse I didn't use inverted but with a controller I've been inverted since the analog stick came out but with this controller acting like a mouse I use it not inverted. I've had to change the way I've been aiming all these years when I use a regular controller now which really takes some getting used to because of all those years of muscle memory.

Top Bottom