• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

FINALLY got mine. I have to say, having finally held the controller for myself, some of the complaints I'm reading sounds like some of the most nit picky, non deal breaking complaints turned into a big deal. Without a doubt, this controller will take some getting used to and I understand some of the frustrations levied at the controller. That said, I've had a mostly positive first experience.

Nights: Into Dreams plays incredibly well with the controller. Using a community binding, this is what I imagined Sega wanted the original release to feel like. Simple and effortless!

I can't wait to try some of the community bindings for this game. Could you describe the bindings you used for this game?

Aesthet1c

Got mine today and I can't decide if I love it or hate it.

Is there any way to browse controller configs other than through the game menu when you launch it? Like, I don't own the Witcher 3, but it would be nice to browse and use configs for that game because they might work well with Batman that doesn't have very good popular configs. I could just make mine from scratch for games that I don't like the popular configs, but it would be nice if I could just get better general ones.

Oreoleo

Just noticed something kind of annoying:

If I have Steam set to launch as an Administrator (from Windows compatibility tab), every time I launch BPM I get a pop-up window saying something like "Steam is in compatibility mode and BPM might not work" which, 1, it's NOT in compatibility mode, and 2, BPM works fine anyway. But if I remove the "run as Administrator" launch option, Steam doesn't detect my controller, at all.

That pop-up window is really annoying! Any ideas?

Hylian7

Okay, I gave CS:GO a try with it and had a really bizarre problem. I couldn't make any of the community bindings work at all, they all were blank. Then on the official one, the crouch wouldn't work. Any ideas?

XBP

Okay, I gave CS:GO a try with it and had a really bizarre problem. I couldn't make any of the community bindings work at all, they all were blank. Then on the official one, the crouch wouldn't work. Any ideas?

Same thing happening on my end. Not sure whats wrong.

Crayon

I'm on steamos and I'm not having any of these problems with the bindings and such. But I am having one persistent one that noone else seems to have: My onscreen keyboard is always invisible. It works, but it's invisible, rendering it useless.

Blizzard

Banned
I swear a few hours ago Talos Principle didn't have native controller support, but now it does, and the controller seemed to completely screw up till I went to BPM to find it chose the native support yet had no buttons mapped. Going to the binding selection and reselecting it fixed the issue.

Annoying thing is, I really liked the community bindings, but this has the advantage of proper analogue movement support. Guess I'll have to make a hybrid

Edit: scratch that, it is actually broken. All community bindings don't work and just show blank bindings separated into the sections of fps controls and menu controls. Not sure what happened. At least altering the native binding is absurdly simple, as it is all done by choosing actions
The Talos Principle just updated with native support in the last day or so in the beta. :p Does it have a legacy option that lets you use the manual configuration stuff?

ascully

I have to say Euro Truck 2 is godlike on this controller. I love how you can look around the cabin quickly when turning at intersections.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
ANy recommended profiles for Fallout 4?

The most popular and official configs work pretty well, but only after jacking up in game sensitivity to around 70%.

I've been using a variation of woodsie's scheme from his twitch stream. He is apparently going to share it over the next day or so - but it is pretty awesome.

It uses KBM controls instead of controller.
Left touch pad is WASD. Right touchpad is mouse trackball. Dual stage trigger for looking down sights and firing. Analog stick is mouse scroll wheel. Once you get it all configured it feels really good.

Was going back and forth on getting the controller thanks to reviews and the like, decided to jump in, you only live once.

Replaying Tomb Raider and found a config that makes sense, 30 minutes in and pulling off decent head shots and getting used to the feel of things.

The only gripe I've had so far is the top triggers, especially the right - I always seem to end up clicking the trigger and the right slide pad button when trying to grip it.

Can't wait to try out more. Fired up Just Cause 2 and pulled a config and was going decently in just a few minutes, that's great.

Adnor

Banned
Has Valve said how will they sell this in south america? Will they ship the controller directly from the U.S., charging extra for the shipment, or will they have retail partners?

Tenck

I've been using a variation of woodsie's scheme from his twitch stream. He is apparently going to share it over the next day or so - but it is pretty awesome.

Left touch pad is WASD. Right touchpad is mouse trackball. Dual stage trigger for looking down sights and firing. Analog stick is mouse scroll wheel. Once you get it all configured it feels really good.

Might have to try this right now. Thanks for the config.

Veal

I can't wait to try some of the community bindings for this game. Could you describe the bindings you used for this game?
Basically the left pad and analog stick are both movement. The triggers are tricks and every other button including the right track pad are boost. It feels better than playing it on the Saturn in my opinion. Including playing it with the Saturn analog pad.

Stryder

Would you care to share yours? Sounds good

Saiyan-Rox

I just got my steam controller this morning and its difficult to use but I expected that.

I've been using it with Fallout 4 and using the touchpad to move is just really weird having to swipe across more than once to turn round even with the sensitivity up.

Also had a few instances of trying to alter the settings and going back to the game to find the controllers stick and pad stopped working. Also had the whole settings for the controller reset but its not that much of an issue as I can just reuse the custom settings.

I'll give it a full play through of Fallout and another game before making my full judgement though.

Have to say I had to turn off the haptic feedback as it felt and sounded like the whole controller was creaking other than anything else. I do like the little jingle it makes when you press the steam button lol

And damn BPM has changed a hell of a lot from the last time I used it.

viveks86

The Talos Principle just updated with native support in the last day or so in the beta. :p Does it have a legacy option that lets you use the manual configuration stuff?

Yes. Ran into the same problem. Native support looks easy to configure but is completely broken in game. Had to switch to legacy and manually configure it the way i wanted. Works quite well.

Arulan

I thought I'd copy my impressions from the other thread:

I just received mine today. I play almost exclusively with mouse and keyboard, and with the exception of specialized input devices such as HOTAS, it's easily the best solution for almost every problem. My reason for this purchase was in part due to curiosity and certain cases where a controller may be of use.

I spent several hours across various titles and use cases. I tried some that had official support, and others that did not. First of all, I will say that this isn't a replacement for your mouse and keyboard. I didn't have any illusions of it being otherwise, but I thought I'd make that clear. That said, after my hours of play, I find that it's better than a traditional controller in almost every way. The level of precision and speed is unlike anything you can accomplish on analog sticks. Even with the right pad alone, it's already an incredible leap forward, but further adjustments with the gyros or dampening features, allow you to move even beyond that. Even the ones without official support, after making a configuration, I was able to achieve great results. The community bindings aren't a bad place to start either. I don't know how anyone could sustain an argument where this isn't significantly better in anything related to camera movement, aiming, or cursor control, at the very least. The one possible exception in favor of traditional controllers is games where you extensively use the D-pad for movement, but I haven't played enough of these on the Steam controller to say for sure.

The ergonomics and button placement, while different, appears intentional in that it's designed to avoid having to move your thumb away from movement and camera controls entirely. The presence of the two back buttons reinforces this. The thumb isn't meant to rest flat on the pad, but used with its tip, hence the concave design.

Additionally, the fact that this controller is even viable for games that could never be played on traditional controllers is incredible. Of course, even many genres that were once considered not to be viable with traditional controllers have become so, but at the greatest expense, negatively affecting game design. If the Steam controller's pads were to be adopted by the console manufacturers, this could solve a lot of problems. Of course, that's a big if.

Nabs

The Talos Principle just updated for me and it's still broken. I hope they devs can figure this out soon. I really want to try out the DLC with the controller.

Hylian7

So I'm trying to come up with a config to put out there for Elite: Dangerous, basically a config with the Steam Controller and some kind of headtracking device (TrackIR, EDTracker, etc.). I'm trying to figure out if I can do this specific thing though:

Basically I want to use the left touchpad and have it where the Y axis on the + part of it controls the throttle, you slide your thumb up or down to move the throttle up or down. Is this possible? I couldn't figure it out immediately. The implication would be that the throttle would stay where it is when you take your thumb off. For instance, I slide my thumb up until the throttle is at 50%, then remove it, the throttle stays at 50% until I change it again.

laxu

is it possible to use the steam controller tools without being in big picture mode?

Not yet unfortunately. I really hope they add support for that as I have absolutely no use for BPM otherwise and its 1080p max resolution makes it blurry on my 1440p display. To me the controller configuration should be part of the Steam overlay rather than BPM.

Nzyme32

The Talos Principle just updated for me and it's still broken. I hope they devs can figure this out soon. I really want to try out the DLC with the controller.

Yeah. Frustrating thing for me was that I just started the game hours earlier in the day, and it worked great with the Steam Controller. Then they added the native support and something broke

Blizzard

Banned
Not yet unfortunately. I really hope they add support for that as I have absolutely no use for BPM otherwise and its 1080p max resolution makes it blurry on my 1440p display. To me the controller configuration should be part of the Steam overlay rather than BPM.
The game information screen is blurry on 1680x1050 too. I looked into it briefly and apparently it's been some longstanding problem and it sounded like Valve developers said it was complicated to scale properly or something. I didn't really understand and I wonder if that's why chat windows hide the last few text lines in big picture mode.

Nabs

Yeah. Frustrating thing for me was that I just started the game hours earlier in the day, and it worked great with the Steam Controller. Then they added the native support and something broke

I just gave it another shot and it seems to be working fine now. I'm not sure what changed.

deadfolk

Also had a few instances of trying to alter the settings and going back to the game to find the controllers stick and pad stopped working.

Have you tried leaving it a few seconds? When you make certain changes to your bindings, it actually uploads the changes to the controller (according to some people, it's rewriting the firmware) which takes a few seconds, during which time the controller is unresponsive. You may be seeing this.

I'm still running into all sorts of bugs. I can't believe this is the state of the controller software on the official release date.

Well, I guess I can believe it.

Good news, everyone! I fixed the Warframe bindings and it all seems to work perfectly now. You need to bind the keyboard Space key (press the start button while selecting binds to view legacy options) in order to do hacking. I also changed the melee camera from Mouse to Mouse Joystick and it actually worked! I've also added Gyro when aiming weapons. This feels so amazing with the controller now, sheesh.

Devs adding native support will always break legacy binds it seems since they work in a completely different way, mapping buttons to actual in-game functions rather than normal key presses. It would be nice if devs actually tried out their binds before publishing them, with that in mind.

XBP

So what is everyone's battery solution for this thing? Is everyone using rechargeable batteries or sticking with normal ones and replacing them when they run out?

NotSelf

So what is everyone's battery solution for this thing? Is everyone using rechargeable batteries or sticking with normal ones and replacing them when they run out?

I bought some duracell rechargeable these right here but they didn't fit. I had some duracell quantum they fit well.

RechargeableCells_AA_productpage.png

Is anyone using duracell rechargeable if so which one.

Nzyme32

Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Ridiculously long battery life, and great durability over years of use with little loss of charge capacity. Having said that, I'm still using the original batteries at well over 80 hours use

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I've got my Link and controller yesterday. So far, I have mixed feelings about the controller. Overall it feels cheap, specially the front-facing buttons. I personally like these buttons to be of focus in the right corner of the controller (like most major console controller), but I do understand that for this controller the trackpad should be a big focus.

So far, native support is extremely weak, but I'm sure things will get better with time. While I was desiring to use my Xbox One controller wirelessly with my Steam Link, I won't give up on this controller just yet.

The dpad seems way too big to use for fighting games but maybe I just need to adjust. Can't stop jumping

I used it for a couple of other games though and I'm liking it a lot so far, undertale worked just fine, gang beasts was good.

Impressive little controller so far.

The steam link I've had some issues with though but that's not for this thread

Last night I was installing a ton of games to try it with today

Foxyone

Would be nice to be able to bind joystick directions to the back buttons. I want to try binding the left button to RS left and the right button to RS right in Dark souls so that those buttons handle camera rotation; I'm not liking the trackpad much for it. There's so many things that could use changing. Is there any place where Valve listens to ideas / improvements?

I can't get fallout 4 to recognise the controller as a keyboard and mouse. It only works in gamepad mode.

First time using the controller so I may be missing something obvious.

hepburn3d

I can't get fallout 4 to recognise the controller as a keyboard and mouse. It only works in gamepad mode.

First time using the controller so I may be missing something obvious.

I think the moment Fallout detects a controller it will turn it into controller mode. Make sure all your bindings are one or the other.

Taborcarn

I've been using it with Fallout 4 and using the touchpad to move is just really weird having to swipe across more than once to turn round even with the sensitivity up.

That seems strange, does your right pad have the trackball setting on? Try turning up acceleration. I have the top community config for Fallout 4 in use, and if I give it a full quick swipe I'll spin around 2+ times.

I think the moment Fallout detects a controller it will turn it into controller mode. Make sure all your bindings are one or the other.

I can't seem to stop it from being recognised as a controller, even with a kb+m configuration. If the controller is turned on when the game is running then my kb+m don't work and nor does the controller if it is set in kb+m config.

dyergram

anybody else having trouble using the windows on screen key board with the controller? left clicks don't seem to work, can I use the weird steam flower typing thing on regular windows?

NotSelf

So I found some other duracell rechargeables in my room both of these fit inside the controller i'm currently charging them.

0004133300763_500X500.jpg

a4839091b636dee19b7e8d3f5579dbbf.jpg

Yudoken

Everyone should know that eneloop's are the best for controllers (and almost anything else).

How to change the desktop base using of the controller? Also: when i open a community config is Alessandro empty

Go into the options in Big picture mode.
Currently you only can config the pad from there.
There may be ways to change the files but I highly recommend just going to Bpm and change it there, it's easy.

Top Bottom