• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Since i don't own a xbone the a and b are constantly throwing me off lol. Yea i use a ds4 and its read as a 360 controller but theres something about actually having the right letters on the controllers that's throwing me off since i keep confusing it for the nintendo layout

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I made a custom config for a non steam game on one computer. How do I get this to show up on my laptop for the same non steam game? Do the configs not go up in the cloud or whatever if its a non steam game?

Is there a way to transfer this as I don't wanna have to bind everything twice for all my games.

I made a custom config for a non steam game on one computer. How do I get this to show up on my laptop for the same non steam game? Do the configs not go up in the cloud or whatever if its a non steam game?

Is there a way to transfer this as I don't wanna have to bind everything twice for all my games.

Unfortunately, you'll need to move the config file between the computers manually. All the details are in this thread.

Unai

Holy shit, Fallout 4 plays stupidly well with this controller using gamepad + joystick emulation, cracking up the in game sensitivity and turning on the gyro when I hold the left trigger.

Edit: I have to try this same settings in Fallout New Vegas.

Just bought the thing. literally only just taken it out of the box.

It cost £45 from Game, I didn't need to buy any steam credit along with it.

Having only held it in my hands, it feels nice. People saying it feels cheap, not with you on that whatsoever.

Foxyone

Surprised I managed to get 3rd place in my first game of Conquest in Battlefield 4 with it (although the higher points for capping objectives helped. Still managed a positive k/d, but I seemed to be fighting the controller the whole time. Don't know if I could ever see it really being comfortable for shooters for me.

Nete

The dpad seems way too big to use for fighting games but maybe I just need to adjust. Can't stop jumping

For what I tested yesterday on Street Fighter 4, I had better results switching the trackpad from dpad to keyboard and then playing a bit with the deadzone.

dsk1210

This guy put a lot of early content out for the steam controller. Sad to see he ended up disliking it but it does sound like a real pain for all the setups he has to go through with a limited amount of time.

For as much as trial by game is a really nice guy, I was disappointed with the way he would trying to use the controller more like a conventional controller.

Haines

Banned
Every time I read anything steam controller post its relatively negative.

I was kind of hoping to sell my Xbox and go steam machine but I've seen so little hype for the machines or the controller that I have to assume not enough 'good' to warrant it

Holy shit, Fallout 4 plays stupidly well with this controller using gamepad + joystick emulation, cracking up the in game sensitivity and turning on the gyro when I hold the left trigger.

Can you post your config? I tried it with FO4, but I stopped due to the layout. The buttons on the left of the right stick is weird...

I was kind of hoping to sell my Xbox and go steam machine but I've seen so little hype for the machines or the controller that I have to assume not enough 'good' to warrant it

Just build a PC and Xbox One controller if you want to make the switch.

Stop thinking about Steam Machines.

Beckx

So I got my Steam controller last night and hated it with Fallout 4 (loved many things about it otherwise), but thankfully the people in the Steam Link thread sent me this way. Cannot wait to try out some of the configuration options tonight, especially that one from the twitch stream posted a few pages back.

Crayon

Im using steam machine for home theatre. Works great. Opens up lots of games that aren't on console. Don't sell your xbox tho because almost none of the aaa console stuff hits steamos. Together they make sense if you don't want to hook up a full on pc.

Tesseract

Banned

this controller is fugging changing my life.

tumblr_inline_ngj271hXmm1qazyb0.gif

Got mine today & spent maybe a couple hours with it. Rough going but not unexpected!

Strange problem with Crysis; the overlay doesn't display properly meaning any reconfiguration is an utter chore involving restarting the game. Anyone had anything similar? Instead I get black bars top & bottom which squish the display a bit. The overlay is definitely in play as the analog stick makes 'steam' noises instead of 'crysis' noises.

Backed away from this and tried Portal 2 for a more ready-made experience. Really enjoyed this and spent most of my time here, slowly acclimatising and just getting sucked into the puzzles.

Precision aiming is still ... Weird for me. Maybe just need to tinker with the trackpad to get a comfortable setup. I'm often a little unconventional in the ways I like to control things; one of my major draws to this controller is the insane degree of customisability.

Question re. gyro aiming - I was a bit fazed that for the X axis the controller wants me to actually move it to the left and to the right, when all I was hoping to do is twist it. The Y axis seems much more intuitive, but then the whole gyro aiming thing doesn't seem all that useful (although it was funny to aim by swiveling my office chair). Is this another case of gitting gud?

accx

Honestly the steam button should just open up config directly.
Configurating through BPM just need to fucking go.

Crayon

Got mine today & spent maybe a couple hours with it. Rough going but not unexpected!

Strange problem with Crysis; the overlay doesn't display properly meaning any reconfiguration is an utter chore involving restarting the game. Anyone had anything similar? Instead I get black bars top & bottom which squish the display a bit. The overlay is definitely in play as the analog stick makes 'steam' noises instead of 'crysis' noises.

Backed away from this and tried Portal 2 for a more ready-made experience. Really enjoyed this and spent most of my time here, slowly acclimatising and just getting sucked into the puzzles.

Precision aiming is still ... Weird for me. Maybe just need to tinker with the trackpad to get a comfortable setup. I'm often a little unconventional in the ways I like to control things; one of my major draws to this controller is the insane degree of customisability.

Question re. gyro aiming - I was a bit fazed that for the X axis the controller wants me to actually move it to the left and to the right, when all I was hoping to do is twist it. The Y axis seems much more intuitive, but then the whole gyro aiming thing doesn't seem all that useful (although it was funny to aim by swiveling my office chair). Is this another case of gitting gud?

Look in the gyro settings. There is a toggle for twist or yaw. Default is yaw.

Unai

Can you post your config? I tried it with FO4, but I stopped due to the layout. The buttons on the left of the right stick is weird...

I can post it when I get home in a couple of hours, but if your problem was the left trackpad I didn't change mine.

Is there a rating system for configs?

How are racing games?

There's no rate system. Today Steam considers that the more people are using a setting the better but you can't assign a grade.

Tenck

It eats up my VRAM while I'm playing graphically intensive games. Literally chugs along for a few seconds at times. It's so annoying. My 750ti getting worked a bit.

Nzyme32

It can do if you press the you use the Steam button when you are in the config menu. Basically the Steam button opens the overlay wherever you left it last. So if you were configuring something, just press the guide button to leave, and press it again to return

Does Steam Link have a controller receiver built in, or do I need to connect the dongle?

It has a receiver. Steam+X pairs the controller. And you can switch the controller between the Link and your PC if you paired it with the dongle with Steam+A (after you turn off the controlelr of course)

MNC

It has a receiver. Steam+X pairs the controller. And you can switch the controller between the Link and your PC if you paired it with the dongle with Steam+A (after you turn off the controlelr of course)

Exactly what I was looking for (I couldn't find the exact answer on the store pages) Thanks a bunch! Just got my Steam Link, so I'll be hanging around the other thread as well.

Crayon

Native control update strikes again: CS:GO just got an official binding, it breaks everything, and cleared all the community bindings.

Hey valve. Whatever you are doing, stop lol.

Nzyme32

Native control update strikes again: CS:GO just got an official binding, it breaks everything, and cleared all the community bindings.

Same as what Talos Principle did. What they do that is actually kind of good, is that there are different sections for different game areas such as the menu, fps control etc. But it is very silly that all the old bindings disappear. Would it really be so hard to have the old bindings somewhere, for the people that were perfectly happy with what they were using?

Just bought the thing. literally only just taken it out of the box.

It cost £45 from Game, I didn't need to buy any steam credit along with it.

Having only held it in my hands, it feels nice. People saying it feels cheap, not with you on that whatsoever.

Same here on all counts. I paid £59.99 from Game, including a £20 Steam voucher, and Portal 2 and Rocket League for free. Only thing is, I have no idea where the codes for the games are. The package I bought is no longer even on their website.

I've had to email their customer service team. ¬_¬

accx

It can do if you press the you use the Steam button when you are in the config menu. Basically the Steam button opens the overlay wherever you left it last. So if you were configuring something, just press the guide button to leave, and press it again to return

Allright. The thing is, i want to be able to configure it while in windows. The steam button could easily pop up a config window and minimize it while saving the settings you just made. I suppose it'll come in the future. The main reason for me is that i like to try out different settings in the windows environment and opening BPM everytime and closing it just gets tedious after awhile.

It eats up my VRAM while I'm playing graphically intensive games. Literally chugs along for a few seconds at times. It's so annoying. My 750ti getting worked a bit.

I noticed that with my shitty $300 laptop, BPM + a light game like Lisa just completely destroy the already crappy performance. That's another reason why i want to steer away from BPM. Have you google'd your issue? Maybe there's some kind of fix?

Oh, that's why i can't find any community bindings? I've been wanting to try out CS:GO and other FPS's since i got the controller yesterday but there's like no bindings at all.
And alt+tabbing back and forth to youtube to check out bindings also gets tiresome fast.
...Yet another reason i hate BPM.

My initial impressions so far is basically what others say... It's gonna take a while getting used to but i see the potential. It's perfect for surfin' and chill though. It's been used almost exclusively in windows since yesterday because fuck sitting uncomfortable at the desk.
I also tried playing Quake Live against the Novice bot and got completely destroyed :(

Nzyme32

Allright. The thing is, i want to be able to configure it while in windows. The steam button could easily pop up a config window and minimize it while saving the settings you just made. I suppose it'll come in the future. The main reason for me is that i like to try out different settings in the windows environment and opening BPM everytime and closing it just gets tedious after awhile.

Yeah that is definitely a nuisance. I'm sure they will do it eventually but they are focused on doing the whole TV crowd first. Personally that's great for me, but I too would like to use it better in Windows and using the standard steam client when I'm at the desktop, since I still play controller games with the Steam Controller now

Veal

Man Binary Domain is so smooth with the gyro aim assist. Seriously underrated game! Never got a chance to play it with a controller as I hate dual analog for these types of games. Steam Controller handles this game like it was always meant to.

Oh my god competitive CS:GO is so good with the controller. I am now officially performing way above my m/kb level. Instant headshots as soon as I see people most of the time. I used the new official bindings (since they broke my previous setup) and did some edits to make stuff actually work. Weapon selection on face buttons, gyro always on, jump/crouch on the grips and stuff like Use/Voice Commands/Drop/Bomb on the d-pad touch mode. What an insane input device this is. I have even learned how to track corners with my aim while moving now using my thumb.

The reason this works so well is because I'm aming with my entire arms rather than my wrist. Professional players use their arms with a very low sense to move the mouse, of course - but my mouse space is very limited in size and I've only ever been able to play from the wrist. Great for RTS, not so great for FPS. The gyro is essentially equal in precision to using mouse from your arm/shoulder. You might not see a drastic improvement coming from the latter, but its at least on par imo.

This is my new go-to solution btw. Find official developer bindings and then tweak them. Obviously community binds will catch up at some point but its a minefield right now so I wouldn't even bother.

welly_59

Neo Member

Any chance of posting your config and making it public on steam?

Crayon

Yeah that is definitely a nuisance. I'm sure they will do it eventually but they are focused on doing the whole TV crowd first. Personally that's great for me, but I too would like to use it better in Windows and using the standard steam client when I'm at the desktop, since I still play controller games with the Steam Controller now

I'm also confident they'll get to the desktop client eventually. But right now, bpm is the focus and they have alot of work yet to do on that. Every update, I check the setting to see if the bpm binding feature has been set.

Hey on windows, can you set the controllers bindings for you desktop? On steamos I can edit controller config for the desktop.

Nzyme32

Oh my god competitive CS:GO is so good with the controller. I am now officially performing way above my m/kb level. Instant headshots as soon as I see people most of the time. I used the new official bindings (since they broke my previous setup) and did some edits to make stuff actually work. Weapon selection on face buttons, gyro always on, jump/crouch on the grips and stuff like Use/Voice Commands/Drop/Bomb on the d-pad touch mode. What an insane input device this is. I have even learned how to track corners with my aim while moving now using my thumb.

The reason this works so well is because I'm aming with my entire arms rather than my wrist. Professional players use their arms with a very low sense to move the mouse, of course - but my mouse space is very limited in size and I've only ever been able to play from the wrist. Great for RTS, not so great for FPS. The gyro is essentially equal in precision to using mouse from your arm/shoulder. You might not see a drastic improvement coming from the latter, but its at least on par imo.

This is my new go-to solution btw. Find official developer bindings and then tweak them. Obviously community binds will catch up at some point but its a minefield right now so I wouldn't even bother.

I have some weird issues with it. Toggle crouch doesn't work and the controls are labeled incorrectly. Yet more buggy crap with these native transitions

Foxyone

What would probably be the ideal way to set up right trackpad sensitivity and gyro for fast paced shooters like Battlefield 4 or Left 4 Dead? So far my aim seems either all over the place or too slow. Should I bother trying to get the hang of the gyro at first?

Hey on windows, can you set the controllers bindings for you desktop? On steamos I can edit controller config for the desktop.
Yes, you can do that on Windows as well, it still requires you to have BPM open to configure it but once it's set, that's the config that the controller uses as long as Steam is open, even if it's not in BPM.

accx

Yea definitely. Atm i'm just using it with my desktop and sometimes my laptop since my HTPC is, uhm, in pieces right now and i can't be bothered setting it up. I believe i probably will enjoy BPM far more in a sofa setting and when i've got perfect bindings for my games.

One thing to note for all of you with small hands, the X is really difficult to reach for me. I mean i can reach it fine but it puts my hand in unnecessary strain which hurts just after a couple of minutes. My goal is to somehow bypass ABXY completely but i can't seem to get used to any configuration yet. My hand naturally gravitates towards ABXY since that's what i'm used to after all these years.

I'd also love to be able to use the left touch pad exclusively for movement but i just feels weird, mainly because you don't get any kind of sense of direction. the Dpad grooves are way too shallow.
I'm determined however to only use it even though i'm really struggling right now. Hopefully once community bindings get better it'll become much easier to use it.

If anyone have any suggestions regarding my issues feel free to post some thoughts. Like i said, i really want to be using it but i'm slowly growing frustrated with it.

EDIT:
Also if anyone have tinkered with a Diablo 3 setup that works i'd love to hear about it.

Top Bottom