• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

duppolo

Help me! when i try to load a steam community config set it comes totally empty.why? what im doing wrong? right now i can oly play with official set or do them from 0

Crayon

Help me! when i try to load a steam community config set it comes totally empty.why? what im doing wrong? right now i can oly play with official set or do them from 0

Try another game. They just broke a bunch of stuff in the last couple days but it seems to be on a per-game basis.

Crayon

What i see and i can save is a blank profile. I have tryed with csgo, now i will try other games

CSGO is definitely messed up. I'm going to try it again now.

...trying.. dust loading....

.... and it was working until I opened the config controller screen. Didn't change anything, just opened it and it got all fucked up, with a cursor active during gameplay.

I'll try one more thing. I'm going to set the controller template to kb/m before I open the game.

....steam machine rebooting. This takes forever. Mint boots super quick on this rig but steamos lags. okay.

Oh wow, the kb/m template comes up empty, too. Yeah pretty broken over here.

Over-Run

Quick question. Is it possible to use the right pad as a mouse but also act as buttons when pressed? So like basically combine the X, Y A, B buttons into the mouse pad?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Quick question. Is it possible to use the right pad as a mouse but also act as buttons when pressed? So like basically combine the X, Y A, B buttons into the mouse pad?

For WoW I use it as the mouse and the left click. I don't know if that's possible though. It'd be interesting to find out.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Can you use it to surf via a normal web browser like you would a mouse?

Nzyme32

So here is the solution to the Talos Principle issue of the controller not being detected for no apparent reason - quit BPM and start the game in the normal client with the controller off. Then quit and go to BPM and play the game with the Steam Controller - magic, everything works

Who the fuck knows why. So far I've found the recent native controller games to be wonky as hell for whatever reason when they were working fine before

Crayon

Yeah.

Now, anytime I'm using it fr something primarily mouse driven, I set both touchpads to mouse. So nice. I can walk the cursor around with both thumbs, swipe it easily across the whole screen by virtue of it adding both vectors together, and operate with either hand leaving the other hand free. It's really nice.

Currently you'd have to press a separate button to toggle the pad button inputs. It's not as you were hoping, but I've done stuff like that before using the right back grip as a toggle and it still flows pretty well.

Over-Run

Do you think its possible via something like a software update to do what I'm talking about? I thought it was since people said that the way Valve were hoping people would use the pad instead of relying on the buttons

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah.

Now, anytime I'm using it fr something primarily mouse driven, I set both touchpads to mouse. So nice. I can walk the cursor around with both thumbs, swipe it easily across the whole screen by virtue of it adding both vectors together, and operate with either hand leaving the other hand free. It's really nice.

Nice. I will pick mine up tomorrow.

NotSelf

I feel like putting baby powder on my right thumb perhaps making it a bit smoother. I am having a bit of an issue with it not terrible probably just my dry skin.

accx

But you're using the browser within Steam correct?

No. I'm using it in regular desktop mode with steam launched in the background.
I guess if you're using something like steamOS you'd be forced to use steams browser, but the trackpad works just like you'd expect a trackpad on a laptop would, combined with uhm.. is it called a track ball? I forgot.
Anyway, you can configure your desktop setting to anything you like. The standard setting is Right Pad = Mouse, Left Pad scroll up/down, buttons for left/mouse and other stuff.

Foxyone

It's quite good for surfing a normal (not opened in BPM) browser as long as typing isn't involved. Moving your thumb clockwise around the left trackpad acts as a (middle mouse) scroll wheel down, while counter clockwise is scroll wheel up (the haptics feel pretty nice with it too); that works nicely for browsing threads on Neogaf imo. The two back buttons around the battery pack are used to go back to your last page in a tab or forward. Can also hold the left bumper (ctrl) and use the scroll wheel on the trackpad to easily zoom in and out to more easily see content on a page. The controller also works nicely for a site like Imgur because you only have to move the analog stick left or right to move to a different picture. I imagine the controller would be best for web surfing if you have your favorite sites bookmarked under the search bar in google so you can simply click to get to them.

I'm pretty sure that's all default stuff, although I've modified mine to add a few other button combos like alt tab onto the ABXY buttons. With my browser setup I have alt + tab bound to the X button so it brings up a selection of all my open windows that I can choose from by using the analog stick to navigate. ENTER is bound to the A button to actually pick a window to make active. Then I just have page reload bound to Y. I'd like ctrl-alt-dlt somewhere, but I don't know if it currently works. Also, tabbing in to Steam (BPM or not) seems to mess up some bindings while you are in the window; you can use the mouse to click on another window if you aren't in BPM, but alt tabbing doesn't seem to want to work. Maybe that will be fixable once BPM custom configurations are released.

kodecraft

No. I'm using it in regular desktop mode with steam launched in the background.
I guess if you're using something like steamOS you'd be forced to use steams browser, but the trackpad works just like you'd expect a trackpad on a laptop would, combined with uhm.. is it called a track ball? I forgot.
Anyway, you can configure your desktop setting to anything you like. The standard setting is Right Pad = Mouse, Left Pad scroll up/down, buttons for left/mouse and other stuff.

Cool, so how do you type? Can you bring up Steam's type pad?

Crayon

I guess if you're using something like steamOS you'd be forced to use steams browser, but the trackpad works just like you'd expect a trackpad on a laptop would, combined with uhm.. is it called a track ball?

Nah on steamos you can use whatever browser you want. I link chrome in kiosk mode to make netflix/youtube pseudo-apps. Which is cool because the browser interfaces are kind of better than most of the dedicated apps. And of course you can flip to the desktop side and use whatever.

viveks86

The "Mouse Joystick" option seems to work well. A nice way to simulate a trackball by sending joystick commands for games that can't handle joystick and mouse at the same time.

You can by using mode shift. Turn the right pad into a button pad when you hold the left grip, or something like that. Having more than one button without mode shifting won't make sense as you would end up moving the mouse every time you move your finger to a button

accx

Cool, so how do you type? Can you bring up Steam's type pad?

Oh i haven't really needed that yet since i'm still on my desktop and most of my tabs are sites i already use, or have access to via bookmarks. If i were to use it in a living room setting i'd tinker with it some more. Not entirely sure if you can access the steam controller keyboard in windows mode. I'll have to try..

Nah on steamos you can use whatever browser you want. I link chrome in kiosk mode to make netflix/youtube pseudo-apps. Which is cool because the browser interfaces are kind of better than most of the dedicated apps. And of course you can flip to the desktop side and use whatever.

Oh ok, i haven't payed attention to SteamOS at all since i figured it was only linux with bpm overlay. I might install it on my HTPC just for kicks and see if i like it. The reason i don't use my HTPC right now is because Windows feels terrible when it's so far away on my 32" TV, so i haven't bothered with it for years.

Over-Run

I can't really figure out mode switching, is it only on certain buttons? I would of thought those 2 paddle like buttons near batteries could be used as mode switches but it doesn't seem to work?

I wanted to assign quick save to holding down the joystick and pressing Y, by setting Mode Shifting on the joystick to button pad and putting Y to f5 but it does nothing

Agent X

Got a delivery estimate from Amazon for the controller and link for Nov 16th! :)

I got the same delivery estimate yesterday, for November 16.

About two hours ago, they updated the status, and informed me it has shipped out. It should be in my hands on Friday, November 13.

viveks86

I can't really figure out mode switching, is it only on certain buttons? I would of thought those 2 paddle like buttons near batteries could be used as mode switches but it doesn't seem to work?

I wanted to assign quick save to holding down the joystick and pressing Y, by setting Mode Shifting on the joystick to button pad and putting Y to f5 but it does nothing

I think you are doing it in reverse. Choose mode shifting on the button pad configuration and select the joystick (and not vice versa). There is a very similar tutorial to what you are asking for here. The only difference is he has chosen left grip instead of joystick.

Over-Run

Thanks for the guide man will have a look.

Been using the pad for a few hours. Played Black Ops 3 and Fallout 4 with it.
Black Ops was hard to get used to, but eventually I noticed myself getting better (Gyro is god).

Fallout is also good. I took the custom bindings with most users and added gyro to it when I aim down sights and also changed left grip to jump, joystick in to sprint and Y button to quick save. It works great, just decrease the trackball friction and higher sensitivity and its friggen awesome

Foxyone

I'm trying to bind the previous tab shortcut to X and next tab to B, but no matter what both buttons only ever seem to do the same thing. Using left bumper, the back button, and clicking right trackpad, the proper functions can be carried out, but it would just be more convenient to have the whole shortcuts bound to a button each. Has anyone else got that kind of thing working?

Edit: Apparently the issue fixed itself? :/

Crayon

Oh i haven't really needed that yet since i'm still on my desktop and most of my tabs are sites i already use, or have access to via bookmarks. If i were to use it in a living room setting i'd tinker with it some more. Not entirely sure if you can access the steam controller keyboard in windows mode. I'll have to try..

Oh ok, i haven't payed attention to SteamOS at all since i figured it was only linux with bpm overlay. I might install it on my HTPC just for kicks and see if i like it. The reason i don't use my HTPC right now is because Windows feels terrible when it's so far away on my 32" TV, so i haven't bothered with it for years.

Yeah you'll want to try steamos for that to stream from your main pc. It's nice for that because there's zero maintenance or any time outside of the bpm. Also makes it really easy for others in the house to use and not mess up.

Nabs

Steam Button + Back Button brings up the on screen keyboard. Nice. I hope they give us the option to add that to another button for certain games.

I have some weird issues with it. Toggle crouch doesn't work and the controls are labeled incorrectly. Yet more buggy crap with these native transitions

Again, you need to be willing to fix their broken mess, but if you do the payoff is huge imo. I just use hold to crouch so I didn't notice that one. Besides, you shouldn't be crouching in CS ever unless you are walking under obstacles :p

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This is really frustrating. I have searched and searched and can not find anyone else having the same problem as me. It isn't like the thing is defective. All of the functions work fine. As soon as I launch into a game though nothing works but the pads and triggers. Looks like I am just going to have to return it.

I used the top rated profile for endless legend and dungeon of the endless and those games work perfectly on the controller.

I'm a believer after that

I mean,I was before but now with personal proof.

This thing is confusing AF for the first ten minutes. I'm not past that yet, so no idea if it's going to pan out.

Eh. Worst case scenario I have an odd looking paperweight, but as of now I'm wishing I had just used the cash for an Xbox One Elite controller.

I never wanted to use this on an FPS, but I might have to on Fallout 4 cause rebinding keys in that game severely fucks you over. Most commands are hardbound to the defaults and don't transfer over when you reassign the base key :p

Pachimari

Does this controller work great with New Vegas?

I'm currently installing the game, but I'm gonna head for bed and try some bindings when I wake up.

kodecraft

This thing is confusing AF for the first ten minutes. I'm not past that yet, so no idea if it's going to pan out.

Eh. Worst case scenario I have an odd looking paperweight, but as of now I'm wishing I had just used the cash for an Xbox One Elite controller.

I kinda agree. I'm playing Arkham Knight using the top config, but damn its throwing me off. The top config is setup to use the default control config, but the button placement disrupts my timing and barings.

Signs of a great controller is one that disappears in your hand.

More gaming, less tweaking.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
A few people have asked for my fallout 4 config - which is basically just Woodsie's. Check him out. He is awesome. His videos are great if you are just getting in to the steam controller.

Main Config Layout
g0M4jLA.png

Left Pad
XzbUhdj.png

Left Pad - Advanced
s5nEOEg.png

Left Pad Mode Shift (Right Bumper)
ptUCsmO.png

Right Pad
MXVdotr.png

Right Pad - Advanced
aWKnOwh.png

Dual Stage Right Trigger
7dNSrvF.png

Analog Stick Scroll Wheel
V5qaBKd.png

Gyro Fine Tune Aiming
YalgntI.png

Good luck. Have fun. Sorry for the long post but quoting the images is about the best I could do.

edit: Sorry I forgot the gyro settings. I added them now. This is nice for fine tune aiming.

B-B-Bomba! said:
Strange problem with Crysis; the overlay doesn't display meaning any reconfiguration is an utter chore involving restarting the game. Anyone had anything similar? The screen stays doing whatever it was doing, but the overlay is definitely in play as the analog stick makes 'steam' noises instead of 'crysis' noises.
Anyone? :)

Edited from my original post as the screen no longer changes at all. Wanted to check whether system restart would have any effect and it didn't. Overlay enabled globally and for the game.

It's definitely taking time to get used to the pad as a whole. Aiming with gyro and the trackpad, and having functions assigned to triggers, bumpers, paddles and pad-clicks, is making me feel a bit like a new born giraffe trying to nail jelly to a cat on an ice rink.

In a good way.

Forgot that I had an order on ebgames.ca for this and now they are shipping it. Oh well, I guess I will give it a go after all.

Top Bottom