• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Beckx

Maybe the internal reciever only works with one controller, opposed to the dongle's 4. This is the first time I read anyone trying it out with two. Tried to add it manually with a cable for ex and then unplug it?

Yeah, I tried the cable, everything. Did not know that the dongle supports 4, that may help out down the road. (big family wanting to play multiplayer games)

I think I may use another FPS to get used to the controller. I think Fallout 4 may have some weird issues. Like, I had the left stick set to scroll wheel, with clicking it changing between first/third person, but over the half the time I clicked the stick it wouldn't work. And using the left trigger to dampen mouse acceleration, sometimes the dampening was huge (only tiny adjustments possible, and only on horizontal plane) and sometimes it gave me what I wanted, slower adjustment. The inconsistency drove me bananas and I ended up wasting most of my ammo when I couldn't aim down to shoot a molerat, and got frustrated trying to deal with the controller and being out of ammo to keep practicing later against raiders.

Plus other games don't make me nauseous while testing. :/

Nabs

is there something like: turn on controller ---> steam go big pictures alone? also: auto turn off of the controller after a while?

Turn on the controller and press the button again to go to BPM. You can then go into the options and decide if you want it to turn off after some time idle. You can also have it turn off when you quit BPM, which is pretty amazing.

And for your other question: you can open the virtual keyboard by holding the Steam button and pressing the back button.

akileese

Anyone having issues with the left analog essentially not letting you move around in Portal 2? I was just playing around with it when I got it Tuesday and was having problems with that and rocket league.

Foxyone

What controller settings are you using in BF4?

It's largely incomplete and not worth using tbh >_<
It's basically just the default with sprint on the left bumper, grenade on the right, and prone of the right grip. I can't get myself very much invested in it because I can't figure how I should handle my mouse in an FPS game. I have my mouse around default sensitivity with trackball on, but I find that my aim is all over the place and I'm often let down by reaching the edge of the trackpad and having to move my thumb to be able to aim at the guy shooting me again. Dunno if I should change to a setting with a camera type that maintains movement in a direction if your thumb is near the edge, or if maybe I just need smaller and more rigid movements with my thumb. But yeah, I think it was extremely lucky I managed to do as well as I did despite fighting the controller the whole time.

Z3M0G

The top configurations tend to be ones that people have started to set up and never went back to.

They really need to get a thumbs up/down rating system implemented.

It would be nice to be able to copy paste my setting from game to game as well, I was playing half life 2 then remembered about half life 2 update, I had to reconfigure everything again. Great controller when set properly though.

That's what I mean... I would have expected that from day 0! People should be able to vote on configurations so that the ones that truly work get bumped up and very quickly the community can settle on one great config and ignore the rest...

I just watched the IGN review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggf8cEeuTeA

I know almost nothing about this controller, but I believe there is a way to set the touch pad to work like analog control of a phone touch screen... where "dead center" is wherever you put your thumb down, and NOT the actual center of the touch pad... why did this reviewer not know about this? More importantly, WHY IS THIS NOT THE DEFAULT CONFIG!?!?!

duppolo

Turn on the controller and press the button again to go to BPM. You can then go into the options and decide if you want it to turn off after some time idle. You can also have it turn off when you quit BPM, which is pretty amazing.

And for your other question: you can open the virtual keyboard by holding the Steam button and pressing the back button.

thanks. for the moments i cant play well in wither cs or dota, but im having fun.

Taborcarn

Is there a way to view uploaded controller configs from a game's page on the Steam website? I'm not at a PC with Steam installed but I want t check out the top configs for some games.

ChaosDent

I know almost nothing about this controller, but I believe there is a way to set the touch pad to work like analog control of a phone touch screen... where "dead center" is wherever you put your thumb down, and NOT the actual center of the touch pad... why did this reviewer not know about this? More importantly, WHY IS THIS NOT THE DEFAULT CONFIG!?!?!

There are two main joystick modes. Joystick Move is a direct mapping of touchpad position to joystick input. Joystick Camera uses your initial position as the center, and is the default in the controller emulation setting. You still have to know to lift your thumb up from time to time to stop moving the camera though.

Eusis

Is there a way to view uploaded controller configs from a game's page on the Steam website? I'm not at a PC with Steam installed but I want t check out the top configs for some games.
Don't believe so, you can't even look at the damn things in BPM without having the controller actively plugged in.

zip stick

Anyone having issues with the left analog essentially not letting you move around in Portal 2? I was just playing around with it when I got it Tuesday and was having problems with that and rocket league.

Yes, you have to enable steam overlay in the options. I had this problem with Shovel Knight and Portal 2. God knows why disabling it causes the issue.

akileese

Yes, you have to enable steam overlay in the options. I had this problem with Shovel Knight and Portal 2. God knows why disabling it causes the issue.

Ah awesome! Thank you so much for that. I looked online a lot but couldn't find it anywhere. That is such a peculiar setting to cause this issue.

Jinkies

I'm not sure if this is new information, but someone on Reddit is said to have a better way to use mouse joystick with Fallout 4.

It was juttery for me. The trick is you need to edit the Fallout4Prefs.ini in My Documents/My Games/Fallout4. Change fGamepadHeadingSensitivity to 4.000. Make sure the sensitivity is set to max in game.

I uploaded my profile "Smooth aim with gamepad controls" and its pretty decent.

I haven't tried this, as I'm reading it for the first time now, but I thought it was worth sharing.

where "dead center" is wherever you put your thumb down, and NOT the actual center of the touch pad... WHY IS THIS NOT THE DEFAULT CONFIG!?!?!

You're acting like this is an obvious oversight, but that is not true for several reasons.

1) edit: of course, this has just been fixed after weeks of being broken There is currently no haptic feedback in joystick movement mode. I don't know why and Valve has said nothing about it (to my knowledge).

2) A relative origin would make it more difficult to form muscle memory. On smartphones, muscle memory helps the player much less, so control schemes which don't rely upon it work well there.

3) The left touchpad has a physical engraving. The relative origin setting would contrast with this engraving, which is a very clear user experience error. The player or developer should consciously choose to contrast against the engraving.

Grabbed one from GameStop today. Curiosity got the best of me for sure. Will try the Fallout config on the last page as that's my main focus right now. I am genuinely surprised how good it feels in hand for such a weird design.

hepburn3d

I made a one handed config for Skyrim for someone's dad on Reddit who can only use his right hand. It actually feels great. I was shocked it worked so well :)

Made a video cos it's hard to believe how awesome it is :D I'm going to attempt Far Cry 3 next I think. Let me know what you think. Have a go as well it crazy cool

http://youtu.be/PN5_BdqZCnk

Foxyone

Would it be possible via just controller software to properly mimic a full range analog stick without the jitter from current analog emulation?

Nzyme32

Steam Controller - Client Beta Update

• Improved active area of trackpads
  • Rescaled edge spin radius to always extend to the edge of the trackpad
  • Reworked D-pad layout selection and added a new layout, Cross Gate
  • Added a new feature, Controller HUD. It can be toggled from the overlay while in-game to visualize keyboard, D-pad and analog stick emulated output
  • Added to ability to select icons and colors for Touch Menu bindings
  • Added haptics feedback to the Joystick Move mode
  • Fixed some multi-key bindings showing only the first key/button

Really hoping this fixes some of the issues I've had

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cross-gate? Will that work similar to an arcade stick?

welly_59

Neo Member
I'm using the standard Bethesda layout on fallout 4 but with gyro activated on left trigger press. It allows me to precise aim when looking down sights. So far it's working really good

Nerrel

1) There is currently no haptic feedback in joystick movement mode. I don't know why and Valve has said nothing about it (to my knowledge).

I noticed this just last night when I finally moved over to the left trackpad for joystick movement. I thought it was pretty cool to have the D-pad and movement both on the same surface, but it is fairly odd to play without any feedback at all. It's especially disorienting when tapping the pad to navigate menus. I suppose this is another one of those things that could and should easily work, but Valve just has to get around to fixing it. Kind of like how gyro enable on left trigger was broken for the better part of a month.

EDIT: Nevermind, Jesus they're fast.
Steam Controller - Client Beta Update

• Added haptics feedback to the Joystick Move mode

Speaking of using the trackpad for analog character movement, it's pretty janky. When moving full forward at the top edge of the pad, I notice that even slightly moving my thumb to the right or left causes a glitchy jolt in my character's trajectory. It also seems to register "up" or "down" often when I'm clearly pressing left or right, which I can probably fix by digging into the dead zone settings. I really don't see any advantage in using the trackpad over the analog stick in terms of precise movement, especially not when it reacts in a glitchy way like that, but the fast D-pad access does make up for it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well. Been playing with it for a few hours.

1. It's going to take some getting used to.
2. Gyro aiming is amazing. I'm slowly tweaking it to my liking but it's brilliant.
3. The amount of controls available is bewildering.
4. I wish when you search for other configs it would give you a image of the keybindings.

I'm really liking it so far. At least the kids can't steal it for the Xbox.

Arulan

I'm really liking it so far. At least the kids can't steal it for the Xbox.

I'm actually hoping that both Sony and Microsoft adopt similar controllers in the future. It would mean, in large part, the end of negative design and interface influences from controllers.

Nerrel

2. Gyro aiming is amazing. I'm slowly tweaking it to my liking but it's brilliant.

I vastly preferred gyro aiming to using the trackpad when I first got the controller and nothing has really changed. It's so much more intuitive and fun to use than the pad.

Valve really underestimated how important this feature would be. They actually said that they didn't even expect people to use it for aim adjustment. It works a lot better now, but I'm still hoping for a revision that has 9-axis sensing for better motion. The drift can really kill its usability when it sets in.

Nzyme32

Hmm, not able to get the client update for some reason.

Edit - oh for fucks sake. No wonder I'm having problems. I reinstalled steam when testing some stuff out the other day and not gone back into the beta

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is there a way to pop up the keyboard in games faster? I am pushing the steam controller, move options down to keyboard and then selecting.

There a hot key or something I can set?

Nzyme32

Is there a way to pop up the keyboard in games faster? I am pushing the steam controller, move options down to keyboard and then selecting.

There a hot key or something I can set?

You can hold down the Steam button and quickly press the back button to open up the keyboard - but this has been a bit buggy. On occasion it can remove the active text box when you do it, so you can't type. If that happens, use the BPM option to get to it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
You can hold down the Steam button and quickly press the back button to open up the keyboard - but this has been a bit buggy. On occasion it can remove the active text box when you do it, so you can't type. If that happens, use the BPM option to get to it.
Cool will try when I get home.

I also want to play with the new touch menu.. Is it gonna keep getting more responsive?

npm0925

What am I doing wrong? I tried to use my Steam controller with Shovel Knight and it will not work. Similar experience with Grimrock II. I select a config, load the game, and only a few of the buttons work (and the mappings are not what the loaded config advertised).

Nabs

What am I doing wrong? I tried to use my Steam controller with Shovel Knight and it will not work. Similar experience with Grimrock II. I select a config, load the game, and only a few of the buttons work (and the mappings are not what the loaded config advertised).

Is your overlay working? You need to make sure it's enabled and working for the configs to work properly.

dsk1210

Make sure you are on the beta version of steam.

Nzyme32

Had a similar issue with Talos Principal. Make sure you are using the beta client, and try again. If the issue persists, leave BPM and switch the controller off, open the game in question via the normal client, then exit the game, open BPM and start your controller and try again - at least that is what worked for me, and there is no particular reason why

Saw this on reddit

PSA: Your Steam Controller isn't defective, the dead zone in the lower left of the touchpad is there on purpose

I spoke with a Steam tech and they told me that it's there to prevent you from accidentally touching it when you press one of the Face Buttons. They told me that they're working on a patch, maybe to make it optional and should fix it. In the meantime, you can opt into the Steam Client Beta to get the latest fixes for it as soon as they come out. Hope this helps people!

Veal

So Gorgeous Katamari when? How likely are the possibilities of developers making games that exclusively work with the steam controller? Maybe there's an indie dev out there with idea that would blow us away?

Played a bunch of FTL last night using a popular configuration and I'm excited to make some modifications.

- Up and Down need to be reversed for opening and closing doors; you close "down" a facility or open "up", and having it play against intuition isn't the best.
- Pause does not need to be assigned to 3 buttons. I ended up only using Right Grip to Pause, so I've got some extra buttons to work with. Also, the bumpers are never used.
- Engines, Oxygen, and Medbay are always getting toggled. It seems like powering and depowering needs to be in the control scheme.
- Shouldn't autofire be on Y just because it's yellow? Or FTL Jump. Or maybe the face buttons are all systems.
- Save stations probably needs a spot on the controller.
- Start and Select shouldn't both be the same. Esc is Select, Ship is Start.
- Can Left Grip be a modifier on the controller level instead of just shift? I'd like it to affect both weapon selection (select drones) and also work as shift for depowering.

With that, here's some spitballing:

D-pad Up - Open doors
D-pad Down - Close doors
D-pad Left - Save stations
D-pad Right - Return to stations

Stick - 1, 2, 3, 4 (choices, weapons, drones w/ modifier)

Right Grip - Pause
Left Grip - Shift / Modifier

X - Shields
A - Engines
B - Medbay
Y - Oxygen

Start - Jump
Select - Esc Menu

Left Bumper - Cloak
Right Bumper - Autofire

Left Click - Ship
Right Click - Store

I'm pretty happy with that. And I mostly wrote this post so I can make these changes when I get home :p

I'm having this minor issue with my controller and I just wonder if anyone else has a similar problem. I can't remember if it was there when I first got it but its like the back panel doesn't fit correctly anymore. I can light push it where the panels are either side and it will make a click either side as though it's moving slightly.

I don't really use the panels at the moment but just clicking them either side I can feel this extra tilting affects the use of the paddles slightly.

Before I take it back for a new one I just wonder if its a problem only I am having or its a normal thing.

Pachimari

Just played New Vegas with it, and with my own config. I'm just testing and playing around.

But can someone tell me, why is it so hard to aim? It is way too sensitive. I want it to be sensitive when I look around, but can I do, so when I hip fire with the left trigger, that the sensitivity slows down?

And any way to use the overlay keyboard outside of Steam? If not, is it possible to write without a physical keyboard?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm having this minor issue with my controller and I just wonder if anyone else has a similar problem. I can't remember if it was there when I first got it but its like the back panel doesn't fit correctly anymore. I can light push it where the panels are either side and it will make a click either side as though it's moving slightly.

I don't really use the panels at the moment but just clicking them either side I can feel this extra tilting affects the use of the paddles slightly.

Before I take it back for a new one I just wonder if its a problem only I am having or its a normal thing.

er....

They form additional buttons....

Shawsie64

Banned
New update

Improved active area of trackpads

Rescaled edge spin radius to always extend to the edge of the trackpad

Reworked D-pad layout selection and added a new layout, Cross Gate

Added a new feature, Controller HUD. It can be toggled from the overlay while in-game to visualize keyboard, D-pad and analog stick emulated output

Touch Menu Buttons can now optionally have labels on/off.

Improved Mouse Joystick sampling to reduce jitter and improve responsiveness.

Added to ability to select icons and colors for Touch Menu bindings

Added haptics feedback to the Joystick Move mode

Fixed some multi-key bindings showing only the first key/button

EDIT: Beaten by a country mile

Nzyme32

I think that's actually normal. The paddle buttons are actually flat underneath the battery cover. If you take off the battery cover, you'll see two triangle bits that stick out. Those actually press down adjacent (down and to the left or right) to where the battery ejectors are, which is where the actual paddle buttons are. The cover floats a bit due to that, so there is a gap between the paddles and controller, and the rest of the battery isn't flush with the controller either.

Adnor

Banned
A question for those who have the controller. I have Witcher 3 and some other games in GOG instead of Steam, it would be possible for me to use the developer's configuration and search more in Steam, or would I have to make my own configurations and/or download them from other pages outside of Steam?

Nabs

Loadout works perfectly with this controller. It didn't require much tinkering at all. I can see this being the best way to play 3rd person shooters with a controller, easy.

How do I update? Should I do it manually or it'll do it automatically?

It's just a regular Steam Beta Update.

Iorv3th

A question for those who have the controller. I have Witcher 3 and some other games in GOG instead of Steam, it would be possible for me to use the developer's configuration and search more in Steam, or would I have to make my own configurations and/or download them from other pages outside of Steam?

Right now there isn't a way. You have to make your own or copy someone elses.

Adnor

Banned
Right now there isn't a way. You have to make your own or copy someone elses.

A shame, I hope they add the option to search the community configurations even if you don't have the game on Steam, but I would understand why they wouldn't. Still, it isn't a deal breaker, I still will try to buy this in january.

Top Bottom