• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Would that setup work with New Vegas as well?

For the most part. I don't recall what all of the keyboard keys are but you can easily remap all of that. This is just the framework for a dual touchpad control scheme using kbm controls.

edit: You may find that you prefer having WASD mapped to the analog stick with the mouse staying on the right pad. Once you get used to the dual touchpad setup though, I think it feels great. One thing I did leave off is the gyro control in those images. I do have gyro active for fine tune aiming.

mneuro

I want to love my Steam controller but I don't know if it's going to work for me. I have tried CSGO, Alien Isolation and Age of Empires 2 HD. Age of Empires worked alright after about half an hour of getting used to it. Alien Isolation works decently. CSGO is unplayable on the official profile. Aiming with the right trackpad feels like I'm playing a first person shooter on my phone. It is terrible.

I'm really starting to regret purchasing this. The PS4 controller makes this thing kind of a joke in my opinion (so far). I was super hyped to pick one up, but it feels like a really low quality third party controller so far.

I want to love my Steam controller but I don't know if it's going to work for me. I have tried CSGO, Alien Isolation and Age of Empires 2 HD. Age of Empires worked alright after about half an hour of getting used to it. Alien Isolation works decently. CSGO is unplayable on the official profile. Aiming with the right trackpad feels like I'm playing a first person shooter on my phone. It is terrible.

I'm really starting to regret purchasing this. The PS4 controller makes this thing kind of a joke in my opinion (so far). I was super hyped to pick one up, but it feels like a really low quality third party controller so far.

Truly. I used to think the DS4 was a cheaply made controller, but the Steam Controller somehow feels worse. I don't want to be completely down on it from the start, but it looks and feels painfully cheap. I've already scratched the plastic by wiping off fingerprints once.

mneuro

Truly. I used to think the DS4 was a cheaply made controller, but the Steam Controller somehow feels worse. I don't want to be completely down on it from the start, but it looks and feels painfully cheap. I've already scratched the plastic by wiping off fingerprints once.

I know what you mean about not wanting to immediately write it off. I really want to like it, but after hours with it nothing is clicking. People compare it to the first time dual joysticks were used and the adjustment that took. This is nothing like when I played with a PS1 with dual joysticks for the first time. The games were designed to be used with that controller perfectly.

In some games, the steam controller feels no different than taking an Xbox 360 or PS4 controller and using a program like Xpadder to map keyboard and mouse to it. CSGO is one of those games.

So you guys are actually using gyro? Have I been wrong this whole time?

Grabbing one tomorrow I dunno if I'll like it but my curiosity is through the roof.

CO_Andy

No kidding. The best thing about the controller is the gyro functionality and software customization. Everything else is... adequate. Needs more iterations to be perfected.

Tesseract

Banned
is the right haptic weaker or am i mad

they both feel equal during support tests, i dunno ...

absolutely loving this thing, it's so fugging weird.

Foxyone

The default setup for web browsing is pretty good, although I decided to try and make it a bit easier, and I'm pretty satisfied with what I have atm, which is pretty much just a whole bunch of shortcuts put on the ABXY buttons:

X = Previous (left) tab (ctrl + shift+ tab)
Y = Close current tab (ctrl + W)
B = Next (right) tab (ctrl + tab)
A = New tab (ctrl + T)

LB + X = (Alt + Tab)
LB + Y = Reopen closed tab (ctrl + shift+ T)
LB + B = Reload page (ctrl + R)
LB + A = (Enter)

Not sure what other potentially better setups are out there, but I find it a fairly easy to navigate around with this. Some options for even more modifers for the ABXY buttons wouldn't hurt though.

So I was watching LinusTechTips' review of the Alienware Steam Machine and dude said the Steam Controller keyboard has two tildes but no underscore. Is anyone at all encountering that problem?

Crayon

Has anybody tried the controller with Pillars of Eternity or something similar?

Just bought pillars last week and there are two of us here playing the shit out of it. I'm using both trackpads as mouse. It ads the inputs together so i can use both thumbs to operate the cursor. We've bother been using the steam controller for it and it has been very comfortable.

Hylian7

So you guys are actually using gyro? Have I been wrong this whole time?

Grabbing one tomorrow I dunno if I'll like it but my curiosity is through the roof.

Wait. Wait. Wait....

There's fucking GYRO on this thing?!

Holy shit. I loved Gyro controls in Splatoon.

Crayon

Wait. Wait. Wait....

There's fucking GYRO on this thing?!

Holy shit. I loved Gyro controls in Splatoon.

Yeah. And you can set it to output mouse or joystick so it works with everything. And it can be set with haptic feedback so it clicks when you move it.

It makes a great crutch, but the more hours I get on the controller, the less I need it. My tiny thumb tip rolling movements are getting really precise.

Shawsie64

Banned
Yeah. And you can set it to output mouse or joystick so it works with everything. And it can be set with haptic feedback so it clicks when you move it.

It makes a great crutch, but the more hours I get on the controller, the less I need it. My tiny thumb tip rolling movements are getting really precise.

I agree with that.. Put close to 40 hours in on mine and I'm getting very accurate with the touch pad, using gyro for minute adjustments. All very natural now.

nded

I just played a bit of Deus Ex on my couch and it was amazing. I also tried the left trackpad in Street Fighter which was surprisingly usable. The haptic feedback reminded me a lot of the feel of arcade joystick microswitches.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My major gripe with the controller so far is that i cant use the controller options in bpm. I get why it is that way, but id rather use standard steam and have all of the options available to me.

I knew going in that there was going to be a touch and go phase, and sure enough there was, but after playing through re:revelations 2 with the gyro on, i could see this controller being a champ. It feels so natural playing with a controller that way.

Widge

I saw a discussion on here about the nature of the thing, how you are effectively learning to use a new control method. Some were saying it is a proof that the device is flawed but I feel this is due to the homogenising of controls over the PS3/360 gen. Essentially, a "correct" method was found and every game worked to template. You could pick up any game and pretty much know the buttons before you start. As such, anything deviating from the norm feels wrong.

Here is a case in point. I picked up Resi4 on PC and enthusiastically picked up the 360 pad for a run through. Christ, I could not control it at first. My right thumb was continually wanting to move the camera, the concept of going into an aiming stance was totally alien. Eventually I found the groove and became comfortable with the controls.

I'm looking forward to having a go with the thing but I feel like there will be quite the period of unlearning to go along with it though. Worth persevering, I cannot play Mass Effect, Left 4 Dead 2 (controller on this is terrible), Planetside 2, Oblivion and a multitude of others without it. I'll still head to the 360 pad for enabled games, so Fallout 4, Skyrim, Deus Ex... the whole lot just feel fine on it. I still see the Steampad as an accompaniment but it certainly frees up a lot of the catalogue for non-deskbound players.

Mechazawa

So after a couple of days, I'm really happy with where I am in terms of controls. I used Black Ops 3 as my base to really finetune and nail my final "mouse" and gyro settings, and those have carried over pretty well to any other mouse based TPS/FPS I have.

The real bummer are games that don't allow gamepad+mouse. Something like RE4 you can work around since the shooting and movement are so delineated, but if I want to play MGSV or Revelations 2, I have to bind all the keyboard controls because the analog emulation options for the Steam controller, frankly, just fucking suck.

duppolo

questions: how to change level of haptic feedback? how to open virtual keyboard?
Also: i always have to turn off it manually?

also: in cs i can use crouch but i cant use toggle crouch and i cant autobuy or rebuy in the menu: the button doesnt work fot that: why?

Eusis

So after a couple of days, I'm really happy with where I am in terms of controls. I used Black Ops 3 as my base to really finetune and nail my final "mouse" and gyro settings, and those have carried over pretty well to any other mouse based TPS/FPS I have.

The real bummer are games that don't allow gamepad+mouse. Something like RE4 you can work around since the shooting and movement are so delineated, but if I want to play MGSV or Revelations 2, I have to bind all the keyboard controls because the analog emulation options for the Steam controller, frankly, just fucking suck.
Really hoping more and more games just allow both simultaneously. Borderlands 2 works amazingly with relatively minimal fuss for it, while something like Fallout 4 requires awkward compromises.

I find the mouse joystick option to work pretty well (set ingame joystick sensitivity to maximum), have you tried it?

Akai XIII

Is there a site/list for profiles yet? Neeed to find one that works well with Diablo 3.

Had a look on the store and bar a few "Works with steam controller" banners there's no real indication of which games work well or have dev profiles ready.

deleted

Has anybody tried the controller with Pillars of Eternity or something similar?

I played close to 5 hours with it and I really enjoyed myself. I cranked the text up to max (125%) and played on my TV from the couch.
The recommended settings work really well so far:
Analog Stick for camera movement feels really nice, b to pause, y to center around my group, mouse on the right trackpad, stuff like inventory and ESC on the backpads.

Playing on PC is a bit nicer, since you see a lot more detail in the envrionments and the characters, but since this isn't necessarily played for the graphics to begin with it, you should be fine...

I know what you mean about not wanting to immediately write it off. I really want to like it, but after hours with it nothing is clicking. People compare it to the first time dual joysticks were used and the adjustment that took. This is nothing like when I played with a PS1 with dual joysticks for the first time. The games were designed to be used with that controller perfectly.

In some games, the steam controller feels no different than taking an Xbox 360 or PS4 controller and using a program like Xpadder to map keyboard and mouse to it. CSGO is one of those games.
It's not fully clicked me yet as I've not had much time since getting it but I really don't understand the thinking. Even with only half an hours play, a decent config makes this significantly better than any dual analogue control.

Stryder

For the most part. I don't recall what all of the keyboard keys are but you can easily remap all of that. This is just the framework for a dual touchpad control scheme using kbm controls.

edit: You may find that you prefer having WASD mapped to the analog stick with the mouse staying on the right pad. Once you get used to the dual touchpad setup though, I think it feels great. One thing I did leave off is the gyro control in those images. I do have gyro active for fine tune aiming.
I've configured what is essentially woodsies setup last night and am gradually getting used to it. Still not quite there with using the right touchpad to aim in conjunction with moving but after tweaking the outer ring radius threshold so that I'm not suddenly running from walking and playing a bit with the sensitivity for the right touchpad I'm getting a better feel. How are you finding it?

XBP

Surprised I managed to get 3rd place in my first game of Conquest in Battlefield 4 with it (although the higher points for capping objectives helped. Still managed a positive k/d, but I seemed to be fighting the controller the whole time. Don't know if I could ever see it really being comfortable for shooters for me.

What controller settings are you using in BF4?

deadfolk

How is this with Fallout 4? I'm hearing really mixed reviews on this thing.

The main problem with Fallout 4 is that you cannot have m/kb and pad active at the same time...once you turn gamepad on in the settings, the keyboard and mouse are disabled.

This means you have to either

a) Use it as a gamepad with mouse joystick. You get the correct button prompts, but as soon as you have to start shooting stuff, it's really hard to be accurate, and the gyro doesn't seem to work too well with mouse joystick, so that doesn't help.

b) Use it as a keyboard and mouse which is much better for shooting, but the button prompts are then wrong - and there are quite a lot of them. This is compounded by the fact that there is not a 1-1 mapping between the pad and keyboard controls, i.e. you can't set it up so that it is exactly the same as a gamepad setup other than the right pad being a mouse. There are some buttons that double-up once you are in the pip boy which have dedicated keys if you are using a keyboard, for example.

I'm pretty disappointed with Bethesda, to be honest. I had expected them to have native support, as it was a massive game releasing on the same day as the controller, but in reality it has become the first game I've been unable to get a mapping I'm happy with so far.

Z3M0G

"Top config" literally just means "most people clicked on it" for now. Many of them don't work at all.
You cant be serious... this thing would be DOA if they didnt have that straightened out before launch... 99% of users would need to rely on that feature to get by...

dsk1210

You cant be serious... this thing would be DOA if they didnt have that straightened out before launch... 99% of users would need to rely on that feature to get by...

The top configurations tend to be ones that people have started to set up and never went back to.

They really need to get a thumbs up/down rating system implemented.

It would be nice to be able to copy paste my setting from game to game as well, I was playing half life 2 then remembered about half life 2 update, I had to reconfigure everything again. Great controller when set properly though.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I was impressed with how fast I got the thing. I ordered it this past weekend (Saturday) on ebgames.ca and it came on November 10th.

Also, just got the code for rocket league in my email! All awesome, I love this controller so far. Mostly using it for Civ and Guild Wars 2.

Beckx

I spent a long time trying out different settings with Fallout 4 and trying to get comfortable with it, but nothing worked. I will try the one posted above, but was using a variation of that last night and it didn't really work for me. Still felt like I was fighting controls. I hate wandering into a new area that looks like a blast to explore, but the number one thing on my mind is the controller, not the game.

What doesn't help is that the head-bobbing in Fallout 4 makes me nauseous and can't be turned off. :/

It is great for 2D games though. I wanted to clear my head after that and played Crimzon Clover, and it's divine to put lock-on and bomb on the back paddles with main shot left to A.

PnCIa

The top configurations tend to be ones that people have started to set up and never went back to.

They really need to get a thumbs up/down rating system implemented.

It would be nice to be able to copy paste my setting from game to game as well, I was playing half life 2 then remembered about half life 2 update, I had to reconfigure everything again. Great controller when set properly though.
Seriously, i've been wondering what takes them so long to get an up/down vote system in place. Valvetime my ass, they want that thing to be somewhat sucessfull i think.

Also, there should be a system in place that lets config creators write down additional info like what mouse sensitivity should be set ingame etc.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I've configured what is essentially woodsies setup last night and am gradually getting used to it. Still not quite there with using the right touchpad to aim in conjunction with moving but after tweaking the outer ring radius threshold so that I'm not suddenly running from walking and playing a bit with the sensitivity for the right touchpad I'm getting a better feel. How are you finding it?

I've had my steam controller since the early shipment and have been using it as my primary PC controller since arrival so I'm pretty used to the touchpad / gyro combination now. I think the dual trackpad controls feel great.

I was previously using a DS4 but I have to say, I do like the Steam controller better for many reasons. I did make a pretty big effort to force myself to continue using it despite some early frustrations.

MikeDip

I've had my steam controller since the early shipment and have been using it as my primary PC controller since arrival so I'm pretty used to the touchpad / gyro combination now. I think the dual trackpad controls feel great.

I was previously using a DS4 but I have to say, I do like the Steam controller better for many reasons. I did make a pretty big effort to force myself to continue using it despite some early frustrations.

I absolutely love this thing so far, but the one area I have not used much is the gyro. How do you normally use it? As a small adjustment modifier? Or as more buttons?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I absolutely love this thing so far, but the one area I have not used much is the gyro. How do you normally use it? As a small adjustment modifier? Or as more buttons?

I usually only use it for FPS games and for fine tune aiming. It is always mapped to only be active when my thumb is on the right touch pad. I don't really need to use it all the time for aiming but some situations it really helps.

Beckx

Oh, weird question (maybe this is better for the Link thread?). I got one of my Steam controllers to pair wirelessly with the Link (used dongle to set it up, but can remove it now). But the other one I can't - if the dongle isn't there, it won't connect. What am I doing wrong? I've tried using steam key + A, steam key + X, nothing works.

Oh, weird question (maybe this is better for the Link thread?). I got one of my Steam controllers to pair wirelessly with the Link (used dongle to set it up, but can remove it now). But the other one I can't - if the dongle isn't there, it won't connect. What am I doing wrong? I've tried using steam key + A, steam key + X, nothing works.

Maybe the internal reciever only works with one controller, opposed to the dongle's 4. This is the first time I read anyone trying it out with two. Tried to add it manually with a cable for ex and then unplug it?

MikeDip

I usually only use it for FPS games and for fine tune aiming. It is always mapped to only be active when my thumb is on the right touch pad. I don't really need to use it all the time for aiming but some situations it really helps.

Do you use the dampening thing?

Played several games with the controller yesterday and overall my impressions of it are very positive. Essentially any game where I had to aim was better on the Steam controller.

Games played:
CoD:BO2
Fez
Back to the Future
Dungeons of the Endless
Prince of persia: SoT
Mass Effect 2
Binding of Isaac
Fallout New Vegas

Everything played great especially the games without native controller support (PoP, ME2, Dungeons, BttF). The only outlier was BoI, I couldn't get the character to move and the game in general kept spazzing in BPM when I would try to configure the controls.

Fallout had a similar issue, but I'm not sure I'm going to blame that on the controller because when I went to m+kb the character wouldn't move either so something was more than likely off in the settings of the game somehow. I'll test it a little more later.

BO2 was the only FPS I played and without a doubt it played better than with a traditional controller once I found a config and made a couple tweaks. Aiming was on point and it felt great.

Again, overall I am really happy with the controller and glad I picked it up.

Layell

After a bit of tinkering I made my first TF2 controller, I didn't do much online but a fair bit of testing with bots. Happy with the results

TUQhxXC.png

This setup is very similar to the controls for Splatoon, because I love the gyro aiming a ton. It took a fair bit of testing around to make sure I had everything as I wanted it to. Aiming with the gyro is only on if you touch the right pad, so taking it off can recentre it. Left pad is just touch to switch weapons, and click for the third command menu. but the outer ring is 0 for some menus. if someone wanted to they could just remove all this entirely and change it to other commands since you have the next and previous weapons. Analog click for crouch, and buttons for the commands you will sometimes need.

My big breakthrough was figuring out the best setup for the right touchpad commands with reload and medic. You press to reload, and double tap for medic. The double tap feature is great and even when I had something dumb like taunt as double tap I don't think it's ever likely you'll accidentally press it while aiming,

Overall I don't feel this controller is very limiting at all, while you only have 1/3 of the character commands they are hardly that necessary to begin with. It feels good to have a nice controller and good aiming in one neat little package.

duppolo

is there something like: turn on controller ---> steam go big pictures alone? also: auto turn off of the controller after a while?

Stryder

Yes, it is feeling like a bit of a struggle at the moment. good to hear that I'm probably just going through some teething issues. Can't wait until it becomes more of a second nature to me, I can see it being really great.

Top Bottom